Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tom Tucker posted:

All five seasons of Leverage have been put back on. It's one of those rare TV shows where I feel the pilot is a strong indicator of the quality of the show, so I suggest you check it out. Personally I love it.

A grieving insurance investigator is hired to steal back proprietary information and puts together a team of thieves to do it. When they're double-crossed they band together to get even, and then realize they like helping people with their talents as much as they liked stealing.

It's a lighthearted show that is driven by the budding relationships between the team members. The bad guys always get what's coming to them and there's always a fun twist involved. It's formulaic and episodic but the writing and the cast allow it to rise above its premise.

Also is guest stars Wil Wheaton as evil hacker Kaos trying to steal Christmas. What's not to love?

When I first heard about Leverage, I stayed away from it because I think it sounded like a somewhat dark show from it's description. I'm not against dark shows, mind you, it just didn't seem like the kind of thing TBS would handle well. Then I watched the pilot and found out that, for a show about an insurance agent who turns to a life of crime (and alcohol) after the death of his son, it's incredibly light hearted, warm, and fun. The cast is amazing, their chemistry is spot on, and it's the heist show I've always wished we had. I'll miss it now that it's gone.

Everyone who hasn't yet should definitely try the pilot. You're right, it's a very strong indicator of what the show is like for it's entire run. And it has a satisfying finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey guys what is that movie that is like the "science of hookups" it is a british woman narrating and it is a fauxumentary on how guys and girls go to clubs and hookup. I've tried so many keywords on google and cant find it. Someone has to know what Im talking about.

This also sounds a lot like Mating Habits of the Earth Bound Human, though that's not on Netflix, is narrated by David Hyde Pierce, and is also kind of terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wormil posted:

Watching Netflix on my xbox tonight for the first time since the app was updated and everything is really dark. Leverage but is so dark that it's nearly unwatchable. Looks fine on the Roku. Also Leverage looks like a pretty good show but I'm only 4 episodes in.

Leverage is an incredibly consistent show. If you like it after 4 episodes, you'll probably like the entire show. It's fantastic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Saturday evening we wanted to watch some Parks/Rec on netflix and we sat through 2 episodes that at best hit 480p and spent the rest of the time hitting 240/384. I'm really, really pissed off and I don't know who is to blame. Comcast obviously wants people people like me who just purchase internet access to have to subscribe to their TV services but like the Baron said, they don't throttle amazon and other streamers I've tried but no one has close to the selection netflix does. I've heard that netflix wanted comcast to subsidize some of their bandwidth costs or something. I don't even care at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm canning netflix.

Hang on, Comcast is throttling Netflix? And not Hulu? Which NBC (re:Comcast) has a controlling interest in?

Seems shady.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

Yeah, you can always just switch to one of the many other high speed internet providers. (there's like 2 in any given region if you're lucky)

Oh, I don't have Comcast, I just thought that sounded crazy and should be making bigger waves.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Deadite posted:

I was excited to hear Good Eats was added, but it turns out it is only a small collection of episodes and not whole seasons.

Still a great show though

Yeah, only 25 episodes for some reason. They're great though. I don't normally watch consecutive episodes, so it's fun seeing how he occasionally has running gags for like 3 or 4 episodes in a row, like the Nobel Prize committee one in a few of these episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

1redflag posted:

Sweet, now I'm happy I didn't rent Edge of Tomorrow.

I had the exact same reaction.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Inspector 34 posted:

Sure this could be explained away by them having been in a higher altitude or latitude I guess, but it wasn't.

It actually was. Right before they do it, someone says, "At this altitude, it should only take 7 minutes." And then everyone treats the 7 minutes like it's a real small amount of time. "We only have 7 minutes." So they were at a high altitude at that point. The film expressly states this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Lavender posted:

I had the same issue. I don't know of anywhere on the planet that would do that to an arm in 7 minutes, so I was under the impression that Earth was cold in a way that we don't even experience. Same thing with the frozen people who were like 150 feet from the tracks. Then later, somewhere in the mountains there's just a cool breeze? It didn't seem expressed very well. At the beginning, they establish "outside = death", and then "oh I guess not".

Outside used to equal death. Like when the frozen people were shown through the window. And in some places that was still true, like at high elevations (when the guy lost his arm). But the planet was starting to warm, so in places that weren't at a super high elevation, it was just really really cold, but not kill you as you stand cold.

They keep showing people the frozen people to convince them it's still that bad out there. But it's not, everywhere.

• Locked thread