Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Barn Owl posted:

a sliding bookcase for the door to the Mancave.

Please do this please oh man. What an opportunity!

I think my favorite part so far is the spice rack, actually. I love hidden poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

It's a textured "knockdown" ceiling, which, honestly, I'm not really sure how they apply it.

Post pics, based on the visual I bet somebody in here knows.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

grover posted:

Builders too often fail to consider things like "how will I carry furniture up this staircase?"

My dream house includes a pivoting boom and double door on the side of the house at the far end of the upstairs hallway for exactly this reason. If it was possible to get 200 years of cowshit out of the foundation and rafters (it isn't) I'd daily drive the poo poo out of an early 1800s cowbarn.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
One of my friends has a 4-stage filter in the basement that comes directly off the well so even his garden hose is filtered. Each of the 4 units is about the size of half a carboy. I don't know what costs are involved, but he's not the type to dump a shitload of money into that sort of thing. If your yard looks like that you certainly will want to filter the water you shower in and wash your clothes with. And trucking in the outdoor water will take up a lot of space and time and drive you insane eventually.

Cakefool posted:

Wait, are you planning to wash the salts away? Surely that'll just wash the salts into your soil right? Would scraping/scooping the contaminated soil out of the way be a better idea? Hmm, maybe some sort of small self-propelled service vehicle could come in handy :v:

It read to me like he was planning on regularly trucking in all his water for the garden/yard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Will do. Might not be until next Sunday. He's the "in-person" type. If it's super time-sensitive, tell me and I'll bite the bullet and visit him for beers sooner.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Good sir, I like the cut of your mixer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

Ahem.
Man?

Everyone on the internet is assumed to be a man until proven otherwise; as a general rule, the more beautifully feminine an Internet Person claims to be, the more half-eaten bacon-flavoured waffles they've lost in the folds of their hideous man-flesh.

This being SA and not GBS or FYAD, you're pretty likely to be exactly who you say you are, though. Sorry on M_Gargantua's behalf. I totally figured it out from context. :razz:

Slung Blade, if you build a killdozer it needs to be all wrought-iron and hardwoods. More of a tracked Victorian Doomtrain engine, honestly. Bonus points if your design document is straight out of Pavane by Keith Roberts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Surplus motors aren't too hard to get ahold of
Surplus motorS

Slung Blade posted:

I can put a blade on it

Only one blade? Really? Really. :what:

Heh, groundhog sandwiches.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

The only thing I can't really do myself is make the gearbox and differential

Craigslist or junkyard for motorcycle parts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I was thinking like an ATV quad or an old trike.

Would a regular streetbike transmission hold up to semi-agricultural use? I don't really know much about them.

Yeah. I wasn't thinking about work done, just size. Initially was going to suggest just car parts, then went "wait, too big".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkfy7klBqv4

This was in the "related" section of the video you posted. It's footage from an office across from and above the University of Calgary's rooftop greenhouse, during what was apparently a wicked hailstorm on the 12th of July? It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to watch. Was this the same storm? Because holy poo poo. Dunno where you are / where UofC is. Hail appears to have been the size of yours from other videos of the 12th, and people are saying it's a bit... biggish.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If my Natural Disasters prof from a few years ago was correct, hail is more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world. Sadly, our parking blows to the extent where I can't easily get covered parking.

I'd think parking garages would be more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world too, since everybody knows about the hail problem; your civic leaders are dicks. :laugh: / :sigh:

The end of the video I posted is the sped up version, the last 20 seconds or so. I'm still watching other videos from that storm, it's mind-blowing to a guy from the US Eastern Seaboard. I've seen hail the size of peas maybe 5 times.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I baked some pie for my grandma's birthday, and I used her pastry recipe. :unsmith:

I've never made pie before, so I hope she enjoys them :)

Those look pretty rad.

Protipo: the liquid part boils while it bakes; if you prick the top with a fork several times (random locations with good coverage, or make a pattern), the steam can escape and you won't (usually) get a violent spillover. That being said, always keep a cookie sheet with tinfoil on it or something similarly removable on the oven shelf below each pie just in case. A sheet comes out to clean, getting into the oven to clean it, especially one low to the ground, sucks.

Consider a twist of lemon slice to garnish individual pieces if you're making a presentation out of it (and a dusting of nutmeg or cardamom, taste each to decide what your family will like), lemon/citrus and/or those spices really perk up blueberries.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Oh, and they're saskatoons, (aka serviceberries in the US)

drat, I knew I was gambling on what they were. :v:

I looked serviceberries up and they're pretty interesting. Are they easily cultivated where you live or are those wild/roadstand fruit? It looks like they grow all the way down here in Virginia. I wonder why I've never seen them, I grew up on farms, hinterlands and the rural coast of Massachuesetts. The wild stuff was always raspberries, strawberries, mulberries or blueberries.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

We used to have this problem when our garden was full of redcurrant and raspberry canes. The worst thing was the next day the birds would come back and poo poo berry poo poo all over the white bedsheets on the washing-line.
My mum's solution was to dig up all our berries :(

I know someone with a pick-your-own farm; his solution to a bird free field is a very high maintenance scarecrow who gets a bi-weekly wardrobe/location change.

We had the same problem with mulberries. :shobon: I wonder if you could run two wires (one power, one ground) with a rubber strip glued between them just above the wash line; when the bird's toes curl around and hit the bottom wire, ZAPPO. Pretty soon nobody wants to sit above the laundry.

I bet if you were not a nice person this would be hilarious anywhere, not just over the wash line. I wonder if it would work keeping squirrels out of birdfeeders?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Also, do a thin crappy layer of icing to even out the surface, then chill, then a second nice layer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You want it about the consistency of caulk rather than toothpaste or epoxy, does that make sense? Whipped cream cheese is maybe the best thing to compare it to. You want it to stay where you put it but be spreadable. The bullshit Betty Crocker buttercream spreadable icing-in-a-can might taste terrible (and be pretty bad for you) but it might make a good reference purchase that you can whip around and play with to get a feel for the ideal: the consistancy/spreadability is perfect at room temperature; it's designed to be usable with no lead time (like an hour in a fridge) for people who don't cook, don't have time, or need to ice a cake in a parking lot. I think icing is perfect for spreading when I can drag a spatula out of it and the dragged icing peak stays peaked rather than dropping back in the bowl.

On the other hand I'm a firm believer that as long as it's awesome in the mouth, food can look any old way. Visual beauty is a nice bonus but worthless if it doesn't taste good.

Also I <3 that dutch oven. I need one so I can try and figure out a healthy (ha!) chicken pot pie.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Ah, but the brine; that fish is salt-cured and cold-smoked.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Heh. I just want to be his neighbor. Seems like it'd be good times. Plus Virginia is too loving hot 90% of the year. Canada still has cigarettes, right? :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

jermsz posted:

In the way of composting, I'd suggest as well as making an area to dump the stuff to decompose, also buy one of these

Basically you put compost inside, then turn it 3 times every few days, it bakes in the sun and makes amazing compost, we have two at home.

My mom has had that exact one for probably 12 years, it's simple and awesome. Seeing that makes me miss her. :shobon:

spin bake spin wait dump rinse repeat

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm also curious about this, but from another angle; I thought concrete really likes to be over about 50 degrees F to set and cure right. On the other hand, Canada's weather probably has forced someone to solve this. Slung Blade, what's the deal?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Except in Australia, that means more places for beasties to live Death to lurk.

Fixed that for ya.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The idea of snow that stays powder for more than a couple hours is :psyduck: to me. PA and VA, the sun is ALWAYS enough to turn it sticky, I never would have figured it could be otherwise. That sounds loving awesome.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
WELCOME TO POISON ZOOQUARIUM

Oh poo poo everything's escaped, swimrun for your lives!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This, this is the worst page.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Last page I was dreaming of my own house here in Australia. You guys were quick to make fun of the deadly creatures that supposedly inhabit our homes here. Well I'm here to tell you that nothing of the sort ev-

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

:(

Wow, where did you manage to find a 5-gallon bucket in clear plastic?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Shucks, you could just keep both liquids. And fertilize with the solids. Pretty drat conservationist if you think about it; an excellent use of resources. :cheers:

Like splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. Only with barley.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Also I enjoyed a shower beer for the first time ever. I regret not doing it before, they're awesome.

Wow, what a great bad idea. Nice. Thanks for that thread link, I stay the gently caress out of PYF so I don't die of sitting in front of my computer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

echomadman posted:

bury it under a jean pain style compost heap

Holy poo poo of course, free heat. :psyboom:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Pucklynn posted:

I'm curious-- you bake a lot of bread for one dude living by yourself. I made one small loaf once and between three people couldn't get the whole thing eaten before it went stale. How do you store your bread, or do you just eat it fast/invite people over to eat it?

If it takes 3 people to do in a small loaf, your spreads are terrible. Make some honey butter for starters. I made garlic butter last night by boiling garlic cloves in butter and salt, mashing it all, and mixering it into more butter. :3:

Remember, hardened arteries are nature's mosquito armor.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Your guilt is unwarranted, and you would do well to educate yourself in the lore of food. Plenty of tasty things are great for you, and a lot of tasty things that are only okay for you are just fine in moderation. Slung Blade's smoked salmon is an example of great for you.

I'm at work so I can't pass you some properly researched links, but I'll try to think of some good resources for you. "On Food And Cooking" by Harold McGee is a good mindblowing place to start, though.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 29, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How hot is holy gently caress hot up where you are?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That works out to 95F, on the low end of holy gently caress hot but definitely acceptable. Especially if that's the actual heat and not the "feels like" heat index temp. I had no idea it got that drat hot that far north; truly, there is nowhere safe. :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
We've been getting 105F/100% humidity days for the past month or so until this (rainy) week, in Virginia. :(

It's "gently caress everything" weather.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I love our chickens and agree that they aren't much work but I must point out that feeding them once a week is a great way to end up with nuisance creatures that eat the food and possibly spread disease. Feed daily!

Yeah, pigeons are a bitch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I had bees for a season and was so jazzed about it. Then a bear tore apart both my hives in late October; I mean, apart like Biblical-grade "no stone shall stand upon another" destruction. :byobear: Dude was pretty hungry I guess. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Needs horns. :clint:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Also it turns out I really like duck hunting, and those little buggers are pretty delicious!

:laugh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Or maybe set up a bunch of "sister city" agreements with random tiny towns in other countries and then get them to mail you some local delicacies in exchange for genuine Canadian smoked meats.

This is actually a pretty rad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Weren't you listening, he's the only man on the council. So he has gathered all the powerful women and he is their master.

An amusing assumption, but the reminder of the council is actually split 50/50 livestock/gnomes. :canada: