Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo, that is looking gorgeous. I can't wait to see it in person. :)

I had central vac in an old house, but the actual vacuum bits were never hooked up - all we had were the vacuum ports leading to the basement. Lots of fun since the little doors are spring-loaded and make a great WHAP-WHAP sound when you pull them open and let go suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If working on cars, fixing home appliances and doing minor woodwork repairs counts, please send me a copy of your standard contract. I have no shame and a repertoire of innuendo relating to caulk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkfy7klBqv4

This was in the "related" section of the video you posted. It's footage from an office across from and above the University of Calgary's rooftop greenhouse, during what was apparently a wicked hailstorm on the 12th of July? It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to watch. Was this the same storm? Because holy poo poo. Dunno where you are / where UofC is. Hail appears to have been the size of yours from other videos of the 12th, and people are saying it's a bit... biggish.

Yeah, this was a few weeks ago. It chipped the paint of my car a little bit, but cars at the university were completely destroyed; I saw one really nice Aston Martin reduced to basically a frame. Even the wheels were damaged; the leather interior was shredded and all the glass gone.

I believe there's a sped-up version of that same video around and you can just watch the greenhouse glass disintegrate. That was an enormous insurance claim; they're still digging out from it. My insurance company told me that if I wanted to claim my paint damage I'd be looking at an October timeframe for actually getting it fixed, so I'll probably go out of pocket for cleaning up the dings.

If my Natural Disasters prof from a few years ago was correct, hail is more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world. Sadly, our parking blows to the extent where I can't easily get covered parking.

edit: on the plus side, it's a great way to get race cars. I've seen a few higher performance cars get totalled out and then arrive on the track the next weekend, caged and prepared for race covered in golfball dimples.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 31, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

The biggest problem is keeping the loving birds away from your berries. A horde of robins picked the mature plants at mom and dad's place completely clean in a couple of days.
My parents' old nanking cherry bush was never attacked by birds; they had a delicious raspberry plant right next to it that the birds would eat instead. Sort of like popping chaff for goddamn flying pigs.

Also, eventually a hawk moved in nearby, so all you'd ever have to do is run outside waving your arms and everything would scatter from the backyard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

madlilnerd posted:

Have you got a wind turbine? You should be harvesting that tasty tasty wind to make sweet electricity!
And delicious birdmeat on occasion! Do it!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

thecobra posted:

Saturn's dent resistant panels...not so much hole resistant.
They don't hold up to Canadian winters either. I once saw one explode after a small parking-lot love tap in -30.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Vander posted:

Corrugated metal roofs are a godsend in really snowy country. They'll melt off the snow faster and won't allow quite the buildup that wood can.
They are really cool (and very nice for repair - no messy shingle work!), but hail (as discussed above) just rips right through them.

Envious whenever I visit outside the country and see places with them, especially when they're painted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cowbirds are great at keeping mosquitoes down so I'd be willing to give them whatever comforts they want.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

That works out to 95F, on the low end of holy gently caress hot but definitely acceptable. Especially if that's the actual heat and not the "feels like" heat index temp. I had no idea it got that drat hot that far north; truly, there is nowhere safe. :ohdear:
Yesterday they issued a warning saying that it felt more like 40'C with the humidity.

I had to figure out what the humidex was, and then what humidity was. It be dry here. It has always been dry here.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Still a lot available next to me, everyone :v:
It's pretty sweet. So is the gravel road to/from your block.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

dwoloz posted:

That funnel works really well for bleeding coolant. Learned about it from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU

I insisted he get it when he was putting together a Summit order. Jamal from the AI Subaru thread turned me onto it as Subarus are a pain to bleed. Absolutely phenomenal tool for something so simple.

Lisle's trim puller tools are also great. I bought the pricey KTC Japanese tools but Lisle's trim clip pliers work just as well with only a slightly nastier finish and half the price.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 2, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. What's going on at Slungland?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Raising and butchering animals is just a distraction from the two things that matter most in life: horsepower and fire.

Also ostriches are pricks. I saw one kick the rear end of a guy at the zoo once.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He had to cut back on roads, and he will regret this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh poo poo this is gonna be great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Fuzzkill built something pretty similar, and now he's working on a loving rad Datusn in it.

I would love to work on a Datsun in this garage. You know where I'm at (inside the other garage on the property, working on the Celica).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

This lifting action includes things like nice level cement floors that, thanks to a minor temperature fluctuation, is now four centimeters higher in the East corner than the rest of the building.

Frost walls prevent this shifting by setting a solid footing well under the frost line, anchoring the walls in stable soil.

We also do this with fences for the same reason, posts should be driven below the frost line otherwise weird poo poo happens in the spring.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post455024051

I don't know if we have an exact measurement, but it was too tall by probably a foot, per that post. I think Adiabatic tried letting out the air in the tires and that still wasn't nearly enough.

It's an enormous van and I'm sure you won't own one like that, I just figured now was the time to think about it rather than later.

When ABAI owns a conversion van we will just use old railroad track to build a sliding rotisserie. Load the van in sideways, push it into the restoration bay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Is that a sailboat in picture 2 there?

Whatever it is, it sucks to push around the yard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Requesting indoor Coronet burnout video once this monster is finished.

Next time I'm over there I'm lighting the civic up on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Parts Kit posted:

ed: also this is like real life Animal Crossing. New resident gets to be mayor and builds up awesome place? Just stick some fruit trees and random pit traps everywhere now. :lol:

As long as I can be Gracie I'm set. She has a pretty boss car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

If you're feeling froggy, now is the time to rein in your impulses and plan out your space. Tape off areas you want as walkways, shadow box where tools go, designate where things will go. It'll be a lot easier now than after your stuff fills it. You can always pull the tape up and rearrange, but the discipline of doing it now will save you headaches in the future.

(I'm sure you know this, but if you're like me you need an extra push. And then there's the temptation to just get everything in and be done with it)

This is a good point. I'm in the middle of redesigning my own garage layout at the moment and it is so much harder with a driveway full of hoopties and a garage full of poo poo to move to do it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mcbagpipes posted:

If you are looking for metal around Calgary, send me a PM. I work for a welding shop in the NE and we do get pretty good discounts from some of the big metal suppliers. A 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2" will require a lift of some sort!

Dang now we don't have to scavenge road signs anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Burn Pemberton to the loving ground.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
RIP beautiful decade old Mopar battery you were too slutty for this world

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I still need to apply for a patent on that idea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Does SSS have a thread for that '88 Lincoln?

Not yet because I haven't done anything other than vacuum broken glass out of it and yank the alternator. It'll come.

We are preparing for the Frostcoming.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did that guy ever finish restoring that Bricklin over in AI? I lost the thread.

BoostCreep gave up on it for now and is now converting a Lexus SC400 into an LS-powered drift rocket for YouTube.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760375

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?BoostCreepInc

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I also put a tail light back on the Coronet, adjusted its pump shot from "sea level" to "altitude," and drove it around for a bit while thrilling at the combination of fun that is an improper master cylinder rod ratio and a total lack of power brakes.

What a great car :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can confirm: was delicious. Thanks again Slung.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe we can show those motherfuckers in Tofino how to really run a drug-fueled rural commune.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If the commune wants to fix up the 28 year old Lincoln I unceremoniously dumped on Slung's lawn you're welcome to use it for official business.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We should build a forklift into the Civic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's crazy that you would run into a guy that hoards parts specifically for the '66 Coronet. WTF are the odds?

I was like, "dude, be careful, this is a trap."

Then I wandered away and got distracted by turbo parts and completely ignored Slung's plight until he rolled up a few minutes later with a steering wheel and tail lights in hand.

So at the very least he didn't butcher and eat Slung in public.

e: Dude liked 66 Chargers too. Sick gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It really is a lovely truck and it deserved the work. We've used it for all the things Big Loud White Truck isn't suitable for, like cocktail dinners and integrating into mixed race society.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can confirm the brisket was amazing.

If your mayor isn't serving you delectable brisket then you need to get that motherfucker out of office. It's time we demand better from our elected officials.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We done tore 'part one of them Japernese engines on the stand, as Slung mentioned.

The engine is a D16Y7 with a D16Y8 head on it, to give it the ancient magic of VTEC. When I bought it, it came with a good-sized storage bin worth of other turbo poo poo and have gradually taken parts off of it as it's been sitting in a tire on Slung's floor. As you can see, there's a lot to replace and change before I can put it back together and put it into my Civic.

Off comes the oil pan. We discovered the legend of Roddy's Copper. Big flakes :(

Now is probably the right time to change all those annoying hoses on the underside of the intake manifold, huh?

Almost impossible to take a picture of this, but the cam was wiped in a few spots.

The #3 rockers were also pretty loose side-to-side, not sure if that's normal or not. I'll try rotating the engine to see if that goes away under load or if I need a new head.

The most worrying part is that when we flipped it back over and pulled the valve cover, we found a bonus head nut just lying around. I'm guessing whoever 'built' this engine lost a nut inside here and then just grabbed another one off the shelf instead of looking for it. Good thing this didn't clog an oil passage or destroy a valve spring or something.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have probably put more miles on this Ford this summer than all other cars in the fleet combined. It is the biggest rear end in a top hat land barge and gently caress anyone who gets in my way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's another one a few hours south of us in the Outlands but I'm unsure of its present condition as the last time I was there the motoring press was raving about the new Lumina APVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I should be able to monkey that rear seat out of the Coronet no problem. I think from the last time I was in there it's just the normal Mopar lower hook method.