Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
You can always sell seedlings to colleagues. I made some pocket money last year doing that- everyone in my department bought a sunflower seedling to give to their kids. The tomatoes were pretty popular too and courgettes.

You can't sell off leek seedlings though. People think you're scamming them with blades of grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

Well, now that all depends. Are you willing to live in Canada's frozen plain?

You said we could play with fire so it's surely just a matter of finding enough things to burn to keep warm!

I wanted to learnt blacksmithing :( You should run a summer school.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I didn't know you could use woodstain on veneer furniture- was it just the same stuff you used on the chairs?

Your house looks gorgeous and already very lived-in (that's a compliment, I'm not calling you a slob). It looks like a house that needs knitted things... or quilts... I see a DIY female invasion in your future.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Am I right in thinking you have a huge water ditch/giant puddle at the end of your garden?
Have you considered turning it into a swimming hole/big naturally filtered pond? Obviously no one in their right loving mind (except perhaps Scandinavians) would go swimming in it 90% of the year... but there must be a sunny week or two when it would be nice to cool off... right? Or you could farm edible carp in there, and have your own fresh sustainable fish.

Seriously, how the hell are you planning to grow food? Or are you just going to open a dwarven forge and hope the heat from it melts your vegetable patch? Is it ever going to thaw out, or is Canada the frozen wasteland I was always told it was?
Part of me wants to refuse to believe mosquitoes can live out there, but I know people who've been bitten further north.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
...tractor?! :swoon:

Do you at least get rare ducks or something interesting in your protected swamp? Except the swamp ghosts, obviously.

I hope you get a massive greenhouse, solarium style with room to have afternoon tea amongst the early pea plants, jalapeños and chitting potatoes. One can dream.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

M_Gargantua posted:

You must take this mans advice. House, to partially covered patio, to Solarium, to greenhouse. It looks stunning in my mind.

Ahem.
Man?
Solariums are the quiet refuge of refined ladies who need good lighting for botanical illustration and needlepoint and fainting fits.

Although I do agree with the Unleash the Unicorn's suggestion about chaise-longues.

Slung, drainage going to be an ongoing problem, and if so, what's the plan? Or is it just a problem at the moment because of lack of plants on your plot?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

How about people who spend 90 minutes using a hand saw to cut through an 18" diameter log because they're too cheap to buy a chainsaw?

I did that last night and now I'm kinda sore. Gotta get back to smithing asap.

My family have to hand-saw all the wood for our fireplace because we're too cheap to use a power saw or turn on the central heating and our axe is crappy :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter- buy some land, build a house and start a croft raising sheep and selling handspun wool and charging yarn freaks to come out on holiday. Go on. I dare you.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Your "goddamn sinking soil" comment is making me worried about subsidence- your beautiful house isn't just going to get swallowed up by the swamp, is it? :ohdear:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

The biggest problem is keeping the loving birds away from your berries. A horde of robins picked the mature plants at mom and dad's place completely clean in a couple of days.

We used to have this problem when our garden was full of redcurrant and raspberry canes. The worst thing was the next day the birds would come back and poo poo berry poo poo all over the white bedsheets on the washing-line.
My mum's solution was to dig up all our berries :(

I know someone with a pick-your-own farm; his solution to a bird free field is a very high maintenance scarecrow who gets a bi-weekly wardrobe/location change.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

I compost my grass clippings, so I need a lot of volume. Thus far I've just been heaping it. I'm planning to build a three chambered wood one out of recycled pallets.

The tumblers are neat, but they just can't handle the volume.

I've always found that ones made from pallets are easier to turn than the plastic dalek style ones and easier to load than the tumbler ones, plus they're free so it's a winning situation all round!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

when worlds collide posted:

Nuh uh, gently caress that. Did you SEE his old systems, and all the great game cartridges? :colbert:

House shmouse. Anyway, a lady should get with him cause he's awesome, not cause he has a house.

Any goonette who reads this thread and doesn't instantly fall in love with the idea of life with Slung Blade is either married to the world's most perfect man or asexual.

Seriously; he bakes pie, could fix my computer, and I'm pretty sure would let me play with fire. :allears:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

I still wish I knew girls like all of you in real life. I baked shortbread for ladies at work and my friends. My friend's wife told him and he told me that she would marry me for my cookies alone were she not already married, but all the single ones keep ignoring me :smith:

so lonely

What the hell man, whenever anyone brings sweets or baked goods into my class at uni we all swarm around them like a huge ball of bees full of praise. Seriously, this one guy, Sev, went from being "that quiet guy who's not bad on the eyes" to "OMFG marry me your brownies are beyond gorgeous". He now gets asked "so, where are you living next year?" every day.

I want to know what you're doing with your garden, is it worth planting any edibles out there, or is it too cold?

p.s I love winter.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I hope you use moisturiser or you're going to end up with a face like this by the time you're 35:

Dem prairie winds sandblasted Jimmy Bob's teeth right out o' his skull too

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

The rhubarb plant I stole from a dead man...

There's something almost post apocalyptic about this phrase. I like to think you found him sprawled out on your land reaching towards a well, other hand clutched around a sprig of rhubarb :allears:

That fish looks so freaking tasty too.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Have you got a wind turbine? You should be harvesting that tasty tasty wind to make sweet electricity!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

No, honestly, I don't care about dents, I just want it to last 20 years or more.

Who really looks that closely at a roof anyway? Dents, schments.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Costello Jello posted:

or metal:

First off, I think that looks kind of rustic and quaint. Secondly, why do people live in these places?! Every time I see on the news "X has suffered another hurricane", "Y has had 20 foot of snow this winter" I wonder why on earth people live in these places, especially when these natural phenomenon have been going on since people settled there.

But seriously, why would you live where tennis balls made of ice fall from the sky?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Oooh, imagine an iron oxide red house glowing as the sun sets.

Then imagine a lifetime of tetanus top ups every time you cut yourself on your house.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Tetanus doesn't actually come from rust, the most common place you find the bacteria that cause it is in soil and animal poo poo. Dirty rust just has a large surface area so makes a good breeding ground for the stuff and is often still sharp enough to cut you and get the crap straight past your defences.

You're supposed to get a tetanus booster every 10 years to be safe and it's really worth doing because tetanus loving sucks and can kill you. Painfully.

So remember goons- be wise, immunise! :eng101:

I will shut up about soil borne bacteria now.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
yeah, I imagine white roofs look really grubby really fast. All kinds of grot would collect in the grooves.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I personally think you should get a wife as your first farm animal.

I'm free all summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hayden. posted:

Buy a ton of emus and become "that guy with the emus"

Emus are so passé. Get an army of cassowaries!