Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Just started reading this thread and did it all the way through. So awesome.

I actually did three years of high school within probably 10k of your place (Chestermere High, just south of the TransCan on 791). A friend of mine's folks had a similar setup south of Langdon, and after living there a month I've always wanted to be able to do the semi-rural life again. But now I live in the GTA, and I thought Calgary's housing prices were bad. So this thread will be my replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

How the hell did you manage to learn anything with all the weed smoke clouds in that town?
I learned how to roll pretty efficiently, if that counts.

And as to the community board, you'll probably be fine. In communities that small it tends to be rather pedestrian stuff anyway - especially as close to the city as you are. Makes most things a little easier.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Did you not have a neighbour who could loan you a decent mower or, even better, a small swather? Or is this the back end of the property and you had sopping wet ground issues?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Internet is 'high speed' wireless by these guys: http://efirehose.net/ Been with them for years. Not super high speed but good enough for me, reasonably priced.
That's the same provider my buddy down by Langdon had. Do they still have connection problems every time it rains?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I knew about parasite birds, but I didn't think we had any species that did it here in Alberta.

If you can tell me which are which, I would be willing to "take care" of the issue...
The brown-headed cowbird and black-billed cuckoo are both brood parasites found in Alberta. I'm not sure about the cowbird, but I know I heard the cuckoo around your area back in the day. They have a pretty distinctive call.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, Alberta's usually really dry. I was shocked to see you guys actually compete with Southern ON for "welp, time to curl up and die".

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Are you in Rocky View or Wheatland County, SB? I figured Rocky View, but there's enough ambiguity it's hard to be sure.

Either way, I just spent way too long browsing the zoning laws of both counties. Neither has sections of their zoning bylaw - that I could find, anyway - to explicitly allow livestock on 1-acre plots. The smallest Rocky View seems to allow is on 2 acres (Residential one district, R-1 - minimum parcel size .80 ha/1.98 ac), and that requires a development permit, while Wheatland is 3 acres minimum. But if you're grandfathered in as R-1, that might be your ticket there.

There's probably also an exemption for small, non-commercial livestock animals (that or relying on neighbours who don't give a drat), but I can't find it in the actual zoning bylaws; you'll definitely want to talk to your local county clerk (and neighbour with the pheasants) about it.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Canada's one of the largest producers of canola, yes. Not sure if it's still the largest (China :argh:), but definitely significant. Flax is much less common in your area (at least compared to where my family farms), but I know there are a couple farmers around the city that grow it. Plus the usual smattering of semi-wild and wild flowering plants that inhabit every ditch, and whatever local vegetable patches have to offer. There would be plenty of nectar, for sure.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If I understand how frigid northern climes work, the air temperature and first foot or three of topsoil all gets super-cold (like you can have 40 below days or something insane like that), but down below the frost the earth and rock actually stays at a much more comfortable (and above-freezing) temperature. So what you do is bury a bunch of pipe and keep it flowing, and the heat exchange keeps the water liquid even when it's freezing aboveground.

Naturally this is probably really expensive.
Around where slung blade lives isn't what I'd call terribly frigid. It can hit -40C, but almost never for more than a couple days. The area gets a lot of what we call chinooks (a kind of föhn wind) that mean the overall average temperature is a lot higher than, say, Regina (which is actually a bit further south). Unfortunately, you still need to bury it (just perhaps not as deep) and yeah, it's going to cost an arm and a freaking leg for anything large enough for real yields.

Probably far easier to just have a decent garden patch and some home canning.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I don't remember the exact reasons why, but my Pop-Pop would always plant rye in his garden whenever it was not in use for growing vegetables. That's a trick he brought back with him from the farm.
Rye will grow in pretty poo poo soil, it's hardy (meaning you can even plant it in fall and let it go over winter), and it doesn't have the same trouble with weeds as a lot of plants do. It's pretty much ideal for "a plot of land I want to ignore for a year".

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Show us what you did with the contents of a box labeled "BALZAC MEATS."
Balzac: one of the top-5 funniest-named towns in Alberta.

Costello Jello posted:

Finding a girl you'd actually want to date in small towns surrounded by vast rural areas isn't so easy. I totally recommend moving to a big city for anyone who's unhitched.
Slung's place is really not that far outside a city of a million plus people. Probably a 15-minute drive to the city limits (e: this is a guess, I have never been to his place, I just lived pretty close by). It's not as easy as being 20 and living in the student slums around a major university, but he's not quite in the middle of nowhere.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Your baking looks delicious, but I'd mainly like to say you have excellent taste in teabags.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I generally go for looseleaf stuff, but yeah, that yorkshire tea is surprisingly good for a grocery store offering. It's just a small part of my 'collection' though :v:

I am extremely jealous. I can only justify splurging on good looseleaf stuff when I'm sick. For the rest of the time, Taylors of Harrogate is about the best bagged black tea I've ever found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Why go so far when Medicine Hat is just down the trans-can?