Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Never thought I'd have to ask a question that I couldn't at least find some answer to myself, but I need an independent opinion.

In Ohio, if a person's boss physically threatens them several times over the course of a few weeks, and the threats are reported to the owner of the company (there is no HR department, it's just the owner, another boss, and an assistant), and after those few weeks of reported incidents, the person's boss loses control and screams at the employee, punches the air in front of the employee, calls the employee several derogatory names, culminating in balling up a bunch of paper and throwing it at the employee (and striking said employee), then throwing things off the employee's desk at the employee, and the owner still does nothing after being told what happened...

...can that employee quit and still claim unemployment? It's pretty clearly a dangerous work environment (for an office, anyway), the threatening boss is clearly having anger issues. Thoughts?

Additional Notes: No previous discipline issues; no negative reviews; boss in question has an admitted history of substance abuse. Don't know if any of that is pertinent or not.

bkerlee fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

wormil posted:

My own experience with the Ohio Unemployment office is the employer is always right, always. I hope for your sake that has changed over the last decade or so.

That's kind of what I thought, and this isn't a situation where said employee would be on the street or anything like that, but I wanted opinions. It's honestly hard to say how much the employer would even fight the issue.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
To continue with the situation above, the boss in question is now sending harassing text messages, late at night. Does this add anything to the situation?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Incredulous Red posted:

Are they work related or just being a dick related?

Work related, sort of. "Why are you trying to screw with me, I'll show you" kind of stuff.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I have a question about landlord requirements.

My dad owns an older home in Ohio, that still has the old fusebox (rather than a circuit-breaker) and old-style plugs (no ground wire).

If he decides to rent this home out, is he required to re-wire the house? To be honest, I'm trying to talk him out of becoming a landlord, but any advice would be great.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Solomon Grundy posted:

It is possible, but there is no state-wide law that addresses the subject. The local municipality's codes will dictate. In general, the larger the city, the more likely there is to be a occupancy code or local landlord/tenant ordinance that would require electrical updates. And if he is going to take a federal Section 8 voucher for rental assistance, the answer is almost certainly yes, due to the requirements of that program.

It's a really, really small town, but a county seat. He's not taking section 8, it's much more complicated than that. Basically, the neighbors who lived next door for years (and always watched after my grandmother/his mom) are going into foreclosure, and he's wanting to let them live there and work on rehabbing the house in lieu of rent.

However, the house is a gigantic deathtrap. If you've seen the movie Money Pit, it's basically that house. There's literally a hole in the side of the house leading into the dirt basement. I've had to help him remove several dead animals from the basement each year. In the other two units (it's a 3-unit home) there are gas lamps on the walls for light and the three electrical outlets are actually in the floor.

I'm pretty sure there's a gas leak coming from the converted wood stove that serves as the heater for the entire house, the stove doesn't work, and if you have the lights on while using a hairdryer, a glass fuse pops. My dad admitted that the easy way to fix that is to use pennies instead of fuses. I wish he was kidding.

If it were up to me, I'd have the house donated to the fire department for them to practice on.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

hypersober posted:

- Parents bought a house 15 years ago and needed to add my brother because it gave them a better chance in securing the loan.

Is there anyway to contest this and show that my brother is only on the title but is not in fact a part owner?

Any advice I should hear before I contact the other party (a debt collector firm).

He's on the title (assume you mean deed, and also mortgage) of the house, therefore, an owner.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

euphronius posted:

In general I don't think you can enforce a judgment against A on property jointly owned and A, B and C.

I'm not able to look it up until later, but I'd bet you're wrong.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
H

hypersober posted:

Thanks, everyone.

Anything I should be aware of before settling the debt?

Get it all in writing.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Quantum Cat posted:

Can you point me in the right direction?

http://www.massbar.org/for-the-public/need-a-lawyer

Find out how much they charge when you get a referral. Or try to do it on the cheap by yourself and risk screwing up.

(Edit: don't do it yourself)

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Look through his past posts.

Nope, this will be a good business. Not three kids in a trenchcoat.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Walk away and don't rent from a landlord who can't keep the loving lights on and offers weed for early rent payments.

No matter how right you are you will never come out ahead in this situation.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
No but you see, he knows more about how this works than lawyers, because he totally has some saved texts about drugs, and the lease totally backs him up.

Seconding the request to chronicle your adventures trying to gallantly defend your honor against the sinister, evil landlord who besmirched your good name.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
It's easy to check court records and find out who has the red flags that might show they'll be a giant pain in the rear end.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
You do you, crazy guy.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

EwokEntourage posted:

If I have a time machine, can I delete all my records and wipe my server after every use?

Does the time machine have a gold fringe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

TheEffect posted:

Any Business Lawyer goons willing to speak briefly about retaining their services for the purposes of having them help form a new business Operating Agreement? If so please list contact information. Thanks in advance.

- signed, Vincent Adultman

(If you want anything resembling actual help, maybe list type of business, state, etc...I doubt most attorneys use this board to trawl for business.)