Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Isn't that a plot point from the sopranos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Brady posted:

Is it legal for me to offer giftcards in exchange for in-game currency on my minecraft server? Players can buy currency from us or they can earn it by playing the game.

Are you offering gift cards to the players in exchange for their in game currency, or are you taking gift cards from players and giving them in game currency for it?

I can't imagine how it'd be illegal if you put the terms in writing and have them agree to it. There will be more questions such as if it is considered income (likely), if you plan to report it as income, who would report it, can you somehow offset serve expenses to avoid paying income tax on it, who owns the server, etc.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Brennanite posted:

No signed lease. Trying to figure out how to rent a place in one state while still living in another without having my deposit stolen.

Is your communications with the other party in writing?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I want to know how that lawyer ended up in personal injury and debt collection.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Whatever guys. The dudes a full time alcoholic who lives on social security so I looked into how restitution is enforced and in cases like this and they can garnish his social security benefits since he doesn't have a job or any assets. So this situation will work itself out. :toot:

You're gonna get like 40 bucks a week

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If by settled my case you mean sat on the sidelines while my health insurance paid everything, then yes.

I don't really get the sympathy for the hard working debt collectors in this thread. Unless the lawyers here are running collection businesses on the side.

I've done defense work for debt collectors, and usually they're the better party, so uh

I'm still curious how your lawyer ended up doing PI and debt collection

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Why not just contact the company and ask them how they feel about it?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

"Hi, I'm not associated with you in any way, but I'm going to make money off of your product, by injecting advertisements in front of your users, and when my product breaks, people are probably going to yell at you."

There are actually lots of interesting legal questions around this software, because it's conceptually sitting between an alternative web browser (probably OK) and active scraping (probably not). But, "interesting legal questions" in a business context translates to "get a lawyer, work with them on the specifics of the case, and be prepared to pay them an enormous amount of money."

Or it could be "hey I want to make an app to access data on your site better, I will give you x percent of ad revenue and you can direct difficulties with the app towards me"

But I'm just assuming that the dude isn't a dick, unlike you. Do you really think if he did go tan to a lawyer, that the lawyer wouldn't also say "have you considered talking to them about it?"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

baquerd posted:

Whatever the state of land that hasn't been claimed by an individual is - presumably owned by state or national government?

There's no way to quit claim on it entirely? Owning land that's not for direct use or resale is literally a burden that cannot be discharged?

Real property (land) cannot be abandoned. You can give it to someone else or sale it or let it get seized, but you can't just abandon it like you could personal property. And if no one wants your land, well, tough titties?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Astounding

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

California not-really-legal question: I want to get a feel for how many and what kind of court cases an individual prosecutor has handled. Are there any search engines where I can look up cases by named representation, and then work my way back to the public records at the courthouse?

Probably not for free. West law and lexis does it for a pretty penny, not sure about the smaller legal search engines

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

My brother has some debt that went to collections. The debt collector is calling me for info on him, about once a day for the past few months. I'm not going to give them info, he's easy enough to find. How can I get them to stop calling me? Is there a phrase I need to mention, maybe cite a state/federal law? Do I need to record the conversation?

I'm in Ohio.

Did they tell you that they are a debt collector or did you infer it? Is it a first party or third party collector?

If it's a third party, and they told your they are a debt collector, then they prolly violated the FDCPA

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you told the callers they are talking to the wrong person? Do they identify themselves as debt collectors, or that it is a call in relation to collecting a debt?

Is the debt consumer related (i.e., not business debt)? If you know

Are they calling your home phone, cell, work?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

kedo posted:

I thought that initially, but I googled the collection agency and they appear to be legit (albeit with several BBB complaints), and the companies and people involved are all real enough as well. It seems like they just confused my old employer with the actual company that owes the debt, and for some reason I was the person they contacted.

If you don't owe the debt, then tell them to go gently caress themselves and that you won't pay. If they get sufficiently bad, you might have a claim for harassment, depending on your state laws. And maybe your state has more expansive laws that cover business debt collection, as the FDCPA and a lot of state versions don't cover business debts.

quote:

This seems like a pretty basic thing to gently caress up and caused some physical and emotional trauma, is there anything she can do besides being thankful?
cop would likely be covered by at least one form of immunity

quote:

He says the judge ruled in his favor. And then the ABC sent him a letter saying he had to pay the fine and penalty anyway, they didn't care about the legal decision.
This is hard to believe.

quote:

Can my friend the angry store owner prevail against them?
if what you say/were told is true, then maybe. In strict liability crimes, you don't have to prove intent, but you still have to prove the act happened

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

He actually had the letters handy, although I did not read them because at that point my goal was to escape the store without angering the only man I know in my town who can sell me a decent piroshki. At the end there I was standing in the doorway, trying to slowly close the door and nod, and he just kept talking to me while my frozen food slowly thawed in the bag.

His problem with fighting the next one is the legal cost, but I get the impression he's going to do it, because this man has been enfuriated by the unfairness of the legal process. He thinks that some specific person at the ABC is upset that he fought them in court and won, and is now determined to punish him by engaging in additional bullshit. He is also angry that he has to pay the ABC $2k a year for his license.

I felt bad for him but mostly I just wanted some kielbasa, mustard, and the best kirsch I've ever tasted. I had to go without the kirsch. Goddammit.

Well I hope you can do use all a solid and either read those letters or get us copies because I am super curious about this now. Texas abc (tabc) is basically the gestapo and I knew a few agents of theirs and a couple different underage sting people and they were all dumb as poo poo, but I can't imagine them putting in writing that they were gonna ignore a court decision

Tabc used to have this gigantic Mexican pace outside the gas station I worked at in the same outfit every time and try to sting us with underage kids. It was so obvious we'd walk outside and offer the dude coffee

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

It's not that complicated. You have beer and wine licenses, and then general alcohol license. There's not Byzantine system of production involved, as beer, wine, and distilled liquors are all made by distinct processes. Liqueurs are distilled, so they are liquors. It's easier to classify them into three broad groups then worrying about abv of each product.

He has a beer and wine license. Liqueurs are neither of those things

quote:

It's complicated because industry will create an entire genre of products to avoid regulatory classification. This is especially true of folks who make addictive substances(industry is trying to push several different kinds of e-cig as legally distinct), but it's also how we got the SUV for example.
Well cough syrup isn't made to be drank like beer wine or liquors are. Neither are extracts that have a high abv or things like bitters which are ~40% abv. Yea people drink scope to get drunk, but not enough to govern them like beer or wine or such.

But yea, things like "supplements" are clear attempts to avoid proper regulation

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 21, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You can generally sign documents electronically, like /s/ Name.

And yea, she's hosed. What cult does she belong to?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I found this funny quote when looking up this

quote:

The medieval practice of subjecting a person suspected of crime to the rack and other forms of torture is universally condemned; and we see little difference in subjecting a person to the torture of public condemnation, loss of reputation, and blacklisting in their chosen profession, in the manner here attempted by the grand jury. The person so condemned is just as defenseless as the medieval prisoner and the victim of the lynch mob . . .
It's thirty years old 5th circuit case, and involves a grand jury not prosecutors, but maybe you could have a claim

http://m.openjurist.org/514/f2d/794/united-states-v-k-briggs-c

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

There are lawyers that specialize in legal malpractice, so that's who they'd go. Or defense lawyers, depending on what they're being hit with.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Does the lease include any provisions regarding bed bugs? Some apartments make you disclaim any liability towards the apartment complex for bed bugs

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You can probably just google Indiana tenant lawyers or something similar, one of them probably provides free consultations and likely have dealt with bed bugs before

As A guess, I don't think you're gonna get the landlord to pay the costs of cleaning your clothes. If the landlord takes prompt steps to fix the problem and the lease has a clause saying the landlord can charge the tenant

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Why would a person need twenty pairs of pants?

Better question is by suit separate pants does he mean slacks? Or did he buy 20 suit pants without jackets?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

So you bought suit pants, as separates, to wear like slacks?

Was it cheap then just buying slacks? I need to get some more slacks, so honestly curious. Or like did you buy one jacket separate and then like 3 of the same pants separate?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Who wears suit pants as every day pants that's what I don't get.

But yea buy a bunch of suit separates if your a public defender or something.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

nm posted:

Shameful lawyers who don't go to court every day don't get this.
(I am now a shameful lawyer who doesn't go to court. Kinda boring, but boring has its perks.)

Law is a shameful practice best done in a dimly lit office by a social reject still half drunk from lunch.

So I understand why most would have difficulty with pants

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You shouldn't write down your green card schemes

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Probably a movie reference but no idea. Most of her stories involved sexual abuse and offenders. Drug dealers were the least brain-bleach worthy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Send her a check for $50 and then write for full payment and consideration on the memo.

Then we call all relive first semester contracts

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

He's talking about a mechanics lien, which I don't think would apply to your job

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, but the short answer--from what I understand--is "yes." They could come back after it at any time in the future; there's not even a time limit or anything. The generally recommended strategy for when their is an error in your favor like that is to set aside the amount put in by error, never spend it, and inform the parties involved via some well-documented method (email, certified letter, etc.).

It's bullshit, but that's what you get when you let the banks write all of your financial legislation.

Why is it bullshit to have to return something that doesn't belong to you?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

He most likely agreed to it. most generic forms will have clauses saying they can correct mistakes

I can't imagine any legit company taking money out of an account without prior authorization. Plus, it was a significant amount, like $1700, and he moved money around, so he likely knew that it wasn't his money

Edit: he says he didn't, but $1500 is a lot for most people not to notice

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 15, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

KillHour posted:

My company deposits 5 figures into my account on a monthly basis, not including my salary. There was nothing abnormal about seeing a $1500+ deposit and moving it into another account I keep set aside so I can pay my ridiculous credit card bills each month.

As I said, they agreed to correct the mistake. I'm just amazed that authorizing someone to put money in my account authorizes them to take money out, too. You would think the bank wouldn't allow something like that just because they have my account number.

Edit: I checked, and this is the only form I filled out that says anything about direct deposit:

My bad, I didn't realize you were the person that asked originally, thought it was someone else.

Do you have an employment contract or something similar? As far as I know, they can only take it back if you agree. Most people just agree without knowing

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Alchenar posted:

The employment contract has absolutely nothing to do with his relationship with his bank, which is the issue here.

Except it has nothing to do with his relationship with his bank? His employer deposited the money erroneously, and then took it back. He has to authorize the company to deposit it. He likely has to authorize the company to withdraw the money if a mistake is made.

Direct deposit is an agreement between employer and employee, not between the employee and his bank. They work the same way as wiring money or transferring money between banks, or using a bank account to pay a bill online

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

NancyPants posted:

I negotiated a debt settlement for a student loan that is so old it no longer shows up on my credit report despite my having paid according to the collector's agreement since 2011. I want the settlement agreement to keep the debt off my credit reports. Is this something I can realistically expect from an attorney?

e: the actual amount of the debt is in question due to the OC/collector still not providing me complete accounting of the debt and I have multiple recorded calls where they do this.

A consumer attorney can do this, since a lot of them do fair credit reporting act cases now.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Thanks, would this be the same type as one who handles debt negotiation and/or bankruptcy?

Yea should be the same. They should tell you if they do them, they probably also do other related consumer law since they all tend to revolve around debt collection.

Just for the love of god don't hire a firm with a url for a name

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

I hope they don't, I think the amount is small enough they probably wouldn't. If they did appeal I would hire a lawyer and I think my case is good enough they would end up having to pay my attorney fees.

I'll post what happens tomorrow afterwards.

I might be wrong, but if it's a car wreck and its negligence I don't think you can get attorney's fees.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Even on an appeal if it is in my favor? In this case, they have already admitted partial fault. I just strongly disagree with their percentages and I think I have the evidence to back it up.

Recovering attorney fees depends on what claim you are bringing. So like suing someone else for negligence to get their insurance to payout might not be eligible for attorney's fees. But maybe suing your own insurance company to get them to pay out a claim to you under the insurance code might get attorneys fees.

this lists some but not all, if you're curious. If you do hire an attorney, they'll know depending on the claim

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Seems like it would be really easy to harass someone with lawsuits if you had the time.

In that case, you file for sanctions against the other party and their attorneys.

At some point long ago, Americans decided each side should pay their own. So it's called the American rule. There has been a small push in more recent times to increase attorney fees award, more so in federal litigation I would guess. But it's still not close to the majority

Also, you will probably only pay the attorney if you win, so it's not like you'll lose money, you'll just recover less (likely)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

JP appeals are 2x the judgment for defendants and $500 for plaintiffs

And yea, they're a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Thats the amount of the bond that the loser has to post.

That's what the rules say? Am I misunderstanding you?

quote:

Amount of Bond; Sureties; Terms. A plaintiff must file a $500 bond. A defendant must file a bond in an amount equal to twice the amount of the judgment. The bond must be supported by a surety or sureties approved by the judge. The bond must be payable to the appellee and must be conditioned on the appellant’s prosecution of its appeal to effect and payment of any judgment and all costs rendered against it on appeal.