Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's a bond, not a cost. That's blarzgh's point.

Ok, but I never said anything about costs so that's what I don't get.

You said

quote:

Appeals are de novo to a higher level trial court, but you must post a bond of 3x the judgment or get a surety.
That's what I was responding to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

blarzgh posted:

No, you were right; I figured lay people reading this thread didn't understand you were referring to the concept of 'posting a bond.'

Makes sense, sorry if I came off as a dick

dalstrs posted:

Pretty much this happened.

Really was dumb. The case was that I loaned my brothers gf (we'll call her D) one of my cars. She was driving to work and the defendant pulled out from a side street (the defendant had a stop sign, D's street did not) D was able to react fast enough to swerve into the median rather than get hit by the other car. The defendant admitted she 'ran' the stop sign (she said she stopped at it and didn't see D until she was already pulling into the intersection) D was driving in the left hand lane, the defendant said she stopped before entering the left lane. The defendant also stated that there was a black SUV turning that prevented her from seeing D's car. We had letters from people at the scene immediately afterward telling about how the defendant was apologizing for not yielding and then after her father arrived he began changing her story to make it seem like it wasn't her fault. The judge wouldn't allow the letters. I should have asked for to postpone so I could subpoena them but that was my mistake.

The thing that really gets me is the defendant's insurance company said she was 70% responsible (maybe I'm dumb for not taking this), but none of that matter because I couldn't bring it up and half my evidence wasn't allowed.

We made a claim with D's insurance before and they denied the claim saying it wasn't her fault. My hope is that we can take this judgment to them and get them to cover it now since we have a court ruling saying it isn't the other girls fault.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense at the moment, it's been a long day.

Edit; I'm also pretty sure the judge was dosing off during testimony.

You might want to get an attorney now, since the clock is going to start running on your appeal tomorrow

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

If I can't get attorney fees, I don't know if it is worth it. I was only asking for 6k and an appeal would probably cost at least half that wouldn't it?

Car wreck lawyers work on commission but I don't know if one will take it for only $6k.

Sucks that you lost. The American legal system claims another

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Not mentioning to the jury that the defense lawyer is from the insurance company is standard, because they think people will just automatically decide against insurance companies. The letters issue is knowing how to get evidence submitted, which actual lawyers gently caress up all the time.

This is all standard for courts. But it shouldn't be standard for JP courts, who's explicit purpose is to allow people to solve problems without lawyers.

This is Texas' improved JP system

Also this is a weird question, but what did you wear to court? Working on my math proof related to pro se proceedings and amount of vests worn

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 17, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

seacat posted:

Can you provide any more information on this? My understanding (State is TX) is they confiscate your license if you refuse to blow. How is that not theft?

Inb4 yes, all DWI suspects are monsters operating a multi-ton death machine and should be sentenced to death by torture because think of the children.4

I'm with ya brother. Taxation is theft too!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about this case. What made the cop's stop illegal here? I was curious about it and figured that since the cop lacked cause to stop the guy, he couldn't legally ask for the guy's ID (or rather that the guy didn't legally have to comply with such an order). But then I read that Utah had "stop and identify" laws. Since the cop can make a legal order to request ID, which is what led to this guy's detainment and prosecution, was this really an illegal stop in the first place?

quote:

Officer Fackrell was at most negligent. In stopping Strieff, Officer Fackrell made two good-faith mistakes. First, he had not observed what time Strieff entered the suspected drug house, so he did not know how long Strieff had been there. Officer Fackrell thus lacked a sufficient basis to conclude that Strieff was a short-term visitor who may have been consummating a drug transaction. Second, because he lacked confirmation that Strieff was a short- term visitor, Officer Fackrell should have asked Strieff whether he would speak with him, instead of demanding that Strieff do so. Officer Fackrell’s stated purpose was to “find out what was going on [in] the house.” App. 17. Nothing prevented him from approaching Strieff simply to ask. See Florida v. Bostick, 501 U. S. 429, 434 (1991) (“[A] seizure does not occur simply because a police officer approaches an individual and asks a few questions”). But these errors in judgment hardly rise to a purposeful or flagrant violation of Strieff ’s Fourth Amendment rights.

People think that if you left the evidence in even if it's an unlawful stop, then they'll just stop all non white people in hope that there is a warrant or drugs

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 22, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Guy I used to work with got a dui on horseback in Austin. Got a bum steer award for it too.

I think he eventually got off on it tho

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

There's no way getting off on a horse is legal in Texas.

This is Texas. No way it isn't legal

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you looked to see the Minnesota bar has a lawyer search service? You might just have to call around

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Baja Mofufu posted:

The police won't care, I just don't want to put time/money into improving something I might have to tear down.

I did check with the landlord; he thinks a brace isn't even required and that the window should support it.

I'll try calling the building code enforcement when they're open. They're not now and I was hoping someone might know what part of the law these fall under.

Eta: We're not in any HOA. Our whole building is owned by a single landlord and rented like apartments. I called it a townhouse because it's a multifloor unit--sorry that wasn't clear.

If your landlord owns the units and rents them, why is this your concern and not his?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

What does your copy of the judgment from the first case say? Does it assign fault and then take nothing, or just dismiss the case?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

So basically if I'm not in the area anymore I can't take my landlord to court?

You have to show up for court, yes.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I believe escrow agents in Texas owe fiduciary duties, If I remember my o'connors correctly

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

legitimately love that you're citing to the practice guide.

Life would be a lot easier if I could cite it in court

blarzgh posted:

If I remember correctly, that duty is limited to holding the funds and taking reasonable steps to ensure they are delivering the funds to the right person.

You're probably right

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Pretty sure he works for the state government and does bridge law

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I knew you worked for the government, the bridge law was a joke since I think you mentioned it

I don't know you.

Yet

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

lol, Chris McGooey, CPCPESSLM

I wouldn't trust anything I read on that website.

The complaints I see are usually just
1. Observed them take the merchandise
2. Observed them walk past all points of sale without paying for the merchandise.

I don't know where he's getting this outside the store or continuous observation stuff.

When I got loss prevention training in retail management, they talked about this. The whole lost sight so don't stop only applied to Real small items you could pocket, and letting someone shop lift something small was easier/cheaper than a confrontation gone wrong. Whether it had an effect on the legitimacy of stopping a shop lifter didn't really matter

The stopping outside thing is bs. It just that repeated line not actual shoplifting until they've actually left the store. Most shoplifters Werner going to get prosecuted anyways, so it didn't matter whether they committed the actual crime or not. And plus I guess attempted theft doesn't exist to some people.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

What is he wanted for in Cali

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

All large company has a dedicate loss prevention department made of mostly ex police detectives. large scale thefts would be reported as organized retail theft and investigated, and criminal charges or civil action was pursued fairly regularly. People got away with it just like with all crime, but Walmart and co don't just sit idly by

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Fight the power maaaaaannnn

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

quote:

Sitting on this side of the glass

Is this a metaphor or do they really partition traffic court with glass?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Javid posted:

I'd buy "it's just for enforcement" if the money went somewhere other than the coffers of the municipality doing the ticketing. After all, if the sole purpose is deterrence, then you can just light the money on fire in front of the offender for the same effect, right? Maybe donate it to a charity, if option A is too wasteful. Just not directly into the coffers of the city/county/state that writes the laws they profit from and pinky swears it's only about deterrence.

Some places are decent, some aren't, etc, but there are unquestionably places that abuse it.

What would you have them do? Imprison people for speeding?

I fought a traffic ticket (and won :grin:) and it was just a Normal court room so the glass wall thing is weird to me

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 15, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Please, make it stop. People standing up to minimum wage workers was better than this

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

quote:

Then why bother with fines?

Because you should always try the least impactful means for deference first. A 200 fine, which you can piss away fine but the majority of Americans can't, is much less harsh then revoking someone's ability to drive

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

NancyPants posted:

But I thought the points were the progressive punishment?

Points work for people that either can pay fines with impunity or don't get a poo poo otherwise by eventually removing their license. It functions in the same way that jail time would be the next level after probation. Just points wouldn't act a deterrent until they get to level of removing a license, just like unsupervised probation would't stop people from using

Call it what you want

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

doverhog posted:

Doesn't everyone pay tax? Again, it's not wealth, it's income that was already taxed and is on record for being taxed.

How familiar are you with the rules of evidence? Or enter evidence into the record

Are traffic courts courts of record?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

doverhog posted:

I embraced the derail, I know nothing about your crazy rear end courts.

This: Doesn't everyone pay tax? Again, it's not wealth, it's income that was already taxed and is on record for being taxed. is in reference to how day-fines work in a country where they are in use.

As mentioned

quote:

Proving what someone's wealth is, beyond a reasonable doubt is a much bigger endeavor than you think it is in this country.
That's the issue. This isn't Germany or Sweden with a unified federal system. Municipalities, which largely deal with tickets, don't have unfettered access to federal income returns, some states don't have income taxes, etc

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

For pacs and similar, There's nothing stopping you other then the federal requirements for them.

But good luck doing so

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

Pay the ticket

Am I correct this time?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 29, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

Pay the ticket

Am I correct this time?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Whoever you use a payment processor will keep records and possibly/likely require you to keep certain records

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

What are you selling? Just answer this question

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

When did people get too lazy to go out and slang drugs

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Is it fine to store a myriad of geography pictures you find from various countries off of panoramio for reference on your drive?

Are they pictures of famous landmarks and/or are you brown?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

They sometimes are, usually they're pictures of fields, deserts, coasts, mountains, etc. I do not intend to use them for any projects/commercial use. Also all of them happen to also show up on Google Earth, which says you can print them for non-commerical use. So I don't know. And no I'm very pale.

quote:

Can I use, copy, print or download a photo from Panoramio?

To use, copy, print, or download a photo from Panoramio, you must get explicit permission from the photographer. To contact a photographer to ask for permission, add a comment to the photo or use the Private messaging feature. The owner of the photo will receive an email with your comment and can contact you back.

tho I doubt you'll get caught, and I doubt anyone would pursue action against you if you don't do anything with them but look at them

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I went and deleted all of those panoramia photos I found to be safe. Where would be some good places to legally archive such images from?

Well, you have to get permission to download them, then you could store them anywhere you wanted to and were allowed to store images

is there a reason you think someone is going to come after you for this?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you considered taking the foreign service exam?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Stupid hypothetical: if someone were to go into a police station and give a signed confession that they'd committed a felony, but not say which one, could they be charged and what with? More generally, if you know someone committed a crime, but can't be sure of any specific crime they've committed (say, you have footage of them in one place, and later in another, and the only way they could have gotten from one to the other in time is if they either drove way over the speed limit or trespassed), what can you do?

1) Is the confession literally just "I committed felony" or what?
2) ask the police to investigate

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

1) cops wouldn't/shouldn't let you confess to crime without specifying what it is and providing at least some details. I don't do crim law but I can't imagine a confession that doesn't specify what happened would stand up in court

2) if it's a major crime and they think person did it but can't prove it, they would just sit on it until new evidence or until it became a cold case I assumed

I know it's hypothetical, but it really lacks enough info to give a good answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

They can ask you about anything that isn't prohibited, and asking if you have been arrested isn't prohibited. They're looking for reasons not to hire you