Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
It's going to depend on what the rules are for your utilities, but for the utility I work at we bill you for services until you tell us to stop or someone else assumes responsibility for it (this pretty much never happens). If someone does actually accept the billing we would give you the money back and Bill that other person instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
There's a big difference between some clown tailgating in a residential zone because they want to drive 45 mph in a school zone and an idiot driving in the left lane on the freeway going the exact speed limit or lower.

I make sure to do both to cover my bases.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FilthyImp posted:

My neighbor's papaya tree overhangs on our backyard and drops rotten fruit and dead limbs into our patio. Am I within my rights to prune everything that overhangs with no warning?

That's what my dad does to his neighbors trees and it's fine. Go ahead. IANATL

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I was called for jury duty and the case was about child molestation charges years after the abuse would have happened, the guy with the biggest brain said he required physical evidence in order to be convinced. He was removed.

I made it through everything and was literally next in line to be selected when they had thier 12 people for the jury, thank god. Other than a couple forms I was never asked anything though there were a few "raise your hand if you believe that children can lie" kind of questions posed to everyone.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what's the legal issues associated with owning a right-side drive vehicle in America? I want one of the three wheeled trucks from Totoro.

There shouldn't be any issues owning a right side car, some rural mail carriers use one for delivering mail when they don't get a mail car to use for the route. Usually though it's some kind of Jeep so there is a US equivalent.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 14, 2020

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

DaveSauce posted:

I'm the chair that is either a legless seat/back sitting on top of a footrest, or has the legs inexplicably wrapped in cloth.

Insulated Chairs

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Let's say a contract of some kind is written up and needs signed. In the contract the name of the person who needs to sign it is misspelled, like Stewart instead of Stuart, but is signed anyway. Does that misspelled name have any impact on the contract at all?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
That's a really good move as a dying parent if I hated my kids.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Ah but if I get completely screwed by lack of insurance I will only feel like an idiot once

If I pay for insurance I do not need I will feel like an idiot every month!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If I were to wear a shirt that said RESEARCH JURY NULLIFICATION on the front, back and inside of the shirt would this help me get out of jury duty or just get me in trouble?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
When that kind of thing happens I always wonder what happened that made the owner/property manager say no to an extra $300 a year and the hassle of trying to make everyone get rid of their pets.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

euphronius posted:

That was a bad image that showed you where you said “the court accepted it “

I thought it was great

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a question that might be hard to answer without a lot of details, but here we go anyway;

A person a know had a relative that died and left an estate worth like 1.5 to 2m dollars, this includes lots of investments and an LLC which really just owns and rents out some farmland. This person is the sole beneficiary of that estate. How long would something like this take to get resolved and to have the assets transfer to the beneficiary? This is in Idaho.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that person in idaho needs to make sure the estate has a probate attorney licensed in idaho to make sure veerything happens as quickly as it can.

I think that might be the problem. To be clear I am not that person, but this process has been ongoing for like a year almost and it just seems crazy to me it has taken this long. I can't help but think they are getting strung along by their attorney. They also don't seem very eager to get the money which is also pretty ????? inducing to me.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Thanks for all of your responses! I'm pretty stupid about a lot of things so I assumed that without something like someone contesting the will it would be pretty fast. There's just a lot to consider I guess but also

Arcturas posted:

If your friend isn't worried...then who cares?

is actually what I need to remember. I just don't want to see them get taken advantage of.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
What gun is it?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's interesting then. How does it work for the forums? Is the difference because the forum doesn't have a physical product that is delivered? Everything I read about disputes described it as a process that usually ends with the bank saying "tough luck" unless active fraud has occured.

You just send the bank the user's post history and they freeze their account.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of, I want to settle an argument. If I got a laser so powerful that I could project an image of a giant dong onto the moon, can anyone take legal action?

A plane would fly through the laser and that's probably when the feds would come for you.

Edit; Hieronymous Alloy beat me to it but he said it in the nerd way so I didn't understand

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 30, 2021

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I had to call the company insurance provider and basically file a claim to get paid on jury duty. But I still got paid in time so that was good.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

BigHead posted:

For long jury trials, I try to only pick civil servants or people who work for employers who won't gently caress them over. So teachers, low level bureaucrats, dmv workers, the state will continue to pay them their daily wage while they're on jury duty. Some retail workers (particularly Costco workers) are super excited to be on jury duty because their companies cover wage time. The big hospitals in town do as well. It totally depends.

Losing out on wages won't get you off a jury in most cases, because we are citizens who have a civic duty, and being a juror is a direct, personal involvement in your democracy. That circumstance can affect how long the type of case you hear is going to take though. I try to send those people down to misdemeanor land to do a one day DUI trial. Some schmuck with three kids who is the sole breadwinner and will lose out on five weeks of paychecks for some godawful white collar trial is not a good juror.

I had one dude who was super jazzed to be on a jury, and he got picked for a four week long slog. The problem was he was a janitor who worked nights, and he said he needed to keep working. The judge asked "are you sure that leaves you with enough time to sleep during the day?" Dude said he'd give it a shot and the judge let him stay on. By day three he was falling asleep in the box, which was bad for lots of reasons. He got excused and one of the alternates was put in his spot. Nice guy though.

How do you know who has what job and if they will get paid? Do you just straight up ask them?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Martman posted:

That all makes sense, and I agree that it will probably be a very good thing for the RV owners. I get why "posting for a friend" can go in stupid directions, but this genuinely is a case where my friend is clearly getting very stressed out and I'm just trying to think about the possibilities.

Why are they stressed, is it like right next to the houses or something? Is it in their view?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If you attempted to subpoena a large company would you, as the attorney, ever call that business directly to ask about it?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

euphronius posted:

I mean did you do this pro se

In the rich tradition of posts for this thread I swear it wasn't me.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

euphronius posted:

Lmao who did you send it to

Top line not the whole address.

Someone managed to call our department at work about a subpoena and I sent them away. It was really weird and wanted to know if that was a normal thing for a lawyer to do

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I was pretty excited about jury duty except I had moved across the county and they still wanted me to show up at that same courthouse which was a bit of a drive. Then the case was about child abuse which has got to be about the worst trial possible. They filled the jury when I was literally the next potential juror.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The phone company provided a service for a month that was paid for, they aren't going to walk that back. Those kids need to set up an installment plan with grandma.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

pseudanonymous posted:

And probably because real estate agents have carved out a non-value added niche protected by law and the incentives are totally misaligned. I.e. they are useless rent seekers and virtually everyone forced to interact with them is made forcibly aware of it.

Tell me about your most recent real estate transaction without telling me about your most recent real estate transaction

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I love getting drug tested. Company pays me to drive some weird place and piss all to learn that nope, my slovenly appearance and slurred speech is not due to drugs.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If they don't bring any attention to what they have done it will probably take the absentee airbnb landlord a really long time to notice.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'll make a spicy thread when it blows up.

I really love drama and can't wait to read it but why not just buy two moderately sized homes in the same town in the middle of nowhere instead?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Could you just put the armed guys on the boat when you are in dangerous waters and then take them off before you get to your destination?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

JohnCompany posted:

Yeah. What they said. Or to put it another way: is there an answer, in a hypothetical bullshitting over beers sense? Likely. Is there an answer, in a you keep the money because the judge says so sense? That'll be 15k to your lawyer and good odds you're still writing the check for 11 too.

So 11k to be done with his ex or like 30k to be done but also waste her time and energy and make her upset? Much to consider.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/entertainment/raven-symone-nda/index.html

Is something like this even enforceable at all?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
See if your dmv will let you schedule. It turned out to be unnecessary when I did it but it was nice to know I wouldn’t have to wait long to get my business resolved.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a property question. Lets say you own property on a shoreline and water levels rise and completely submerge the property. Do you still own that land?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

joat mon posted:

Permanently submerged? Short answer, no.
Long answer, are the waters navigable?

What if I built a house on stilts and the water level rises? I remember seeing houses like this before so in that case what would happen? What happens if you owned some coastal property that was submerged but then like 50 years later the water level recedes and the land is back, do I own it again? If I don’t who does?

This is all hypothetical but it’s something I’ve wondered about.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

BigHead posted:

My local courthouse had a full jury trial over ownership of a cat. It was an office cat at an accountant's office. The office burned down, and the super nice front desk lady who had been taking care of this cat for years took the cat home. The owner sued her rear end and demanded she give the owner the cat. Went to a jury, as I said, and there was a full week long trial. The judge had to tell the jurors several times to take the cat custody case seriously. Each party had a lawyer, and the we're depositions and everything. God knows how much it cost.

I found a local newspaper article describing the summary judgment hearing where the judge ruled there was an issue of material fact.

The cat's name was Carl, which is an excellent name for an accountant cat.

Not even going to tell us who won??

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Saw a semi with a big sign on the back that says “Caution stay back. We will not be liable for damage to your vehicle!” Is that all it takes to not be liable? Can I put one of those on my car and dump rocks out occasionally from the trunk free from all liability for the damage?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

joat mon posted:

I think they were talking about tailgating a dump truck and getting gravel damage, not colliding with the truck.

Yea it was this. My friend and I were making fun of it and I decided to ask the legal experts online about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bitchkrieg posted:

what set them off was a comment I made - to someone else - about relying on social benefits.

What did you say? I am a legal intuitive and it is important to know before I offer any advice.