Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cage posted:

Yay, thanks! They didn't know why I didn't receive it yet but now I have it in my possession!

So uh, how do I actually collect my money? Again, its only $40 and I don't need it at all so collecting it will just be for spite.

30 days have passed and I haven't contacted him since I didn't receive the documents in the mail until recently. Can I still contact him? I would appreciate if anyone can help me with my next baby law steps.

I think the exact page you were looking at can help you (and if not, look here: https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/AfterCourt/collectionBasics.shtml )

Basically, you probably want to look into either a stop withdrawal notice at their bank or a land lien if they own property. (The other options require you to pay fees to an enforcement officer which probably isn’t worth it, though if you’re just going for spite it’s hard to beat wage garnishment where you’re getting some of the money they work for AND letting their boss know they’re a deadbeat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

For clarity, it is the law office that hired me that reached out asking for this information, referring to it as part of the other party's discovery requests.

That’s totally normal (honestly surprised they didn’t ask for a lot of that stuff before hiring you) and shouldn’t raise any concerns. They’ll push back on stuff that would be concerning.

Now, if you were retained as a consulting expert and not a testifying one, and are getting dragged into a deposition or something like that, you ought to be getting paid for the extra work that wasn’t anticipated (hopefully you have an hourly agreement, not fixed fee). And while it won’t affect this time, if you do work as an expert again, rates are typically significantly higher if they want you to testify vs if they just want to consult you. If you’re gonna go through the stress of a deposition, make them pay you for it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

So the greater of seven years from the event or until the victim reaches 55?

When does the seven years ever come into play?

The linked page explains it: “Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse have until age 55 or seven years from the time that they became aware that their trauma is linked with financial harm (a process called “discovery”)”

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Muir posted:

The dick pill bird seems to be independently created, so there doesn’t seem to be a copyright case. As for trademark, Bird With Big Dick doesn’t seem to be using the image in connection with commerce of any kind, let alone the specific goods and services classes around dick pills, so no issue there either.

Even if the dick pill guys had seen his username and decided “ooh that’s a great image for our boner pills!” it would still not be a copyright issue. At most, BWBD could conceivably try to claim the phrase BWBD (though short phrases are not typically copyrightable so that’s an unlikely claim to start with); he doesn’t get to own the idea of birds with giant schlongs, only his particular expression of that idea.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Skunkduster posted:

That's a possibility that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Hire a trademark lawyer to search out if there is a mark and who owns it, if you’re serious about this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This seems extremely excessive

It is, but it's also standard for a federal grand jury.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

BigHead posted:

It's the district in which you live, not the circuit. Like eastern district of Texas or northern district of California. Alaska has one district, so if you live anywhere in Alaska you can get called to serve. Arizona has one, Virginia has two California has four, and so on.

And beyond that, it’s typically (always?) the division of the district which you live in, which basically corresponds to “nearest federal courthouse.”

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

There was no federal judicial branch per se under the Articles of Confederation. Congress itself was to be a final court for any dispute between states, with the Articles envisioning the legislature basically appoint learned lawyers as “judges” (more like what we’d think of today as arbitrators) to this court which is more of a legislative subcommittee.

As to the US Reports, and I’m doing this while on a coffee break so please don’t hold me to the specific little details, as an inherited thing from the British legal system, the Reporter of Decisions of the Court was basically a sinecure position given to private printers. This changed in, I believe, either the late 1790s or early 1800s. To this day, the very early Reports are referred to by their printer’s name, so you’ll see citations to early cases to “2 Dallas” or “3 Cranch”. And some of these printers, to try to make the books more comprehensive or useful, would add pre-Constitution, even pre-independence decisions from state or colonial supreme courts. I’m betting that the 1754 (and 1776) references in the LoC entry is to such cases in that particular Report.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Reports,_volume_1

It’s a bunch of PA state court cases.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

abravemoose posted:

I was hoping for a questions about law thread since this one is more focused on questions of... legality or legal service? but I'm trying to put together information on states with filial responsibility laws for the elder care thread in the BFC forum. And it's hard to find answers through the major search engines. Ads, SEO from firms for elder law and the like.

Wikipedia has a list of states under the 'Filial responsibility laws' but no references to information about the laws where I could even confirm they exist.

I'm looking a reputable site or sites to reference that these laws exist and where one could read about them, certainly not interpret what they say.

I’d probably start by using Google Scholar to look for an article or note that has done a 50 state survey on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

parody is a legal exception to copyright, trademark only applies where there's the potential for confusion by customers, and cops are the government and you get to be critical of the government

but I imagine it's possible you could break a law if you try hard enough so I doubt any lawyers here are gonna tell you carte blanche that whatever you have in mind is totally fine

iinal

Also, trademark has its own fair use exceptions, in particular for nominative fair use - when you use a mark not as a source identifier for your product, but rather to refer to the trademarked item itself.