Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm in the Philly / SE Pennsylvania area.

Does anyone have any experience/interaction with the law firm Elliott Greenleaf? That name came up during something at work and I'm curious to know what their reputation is

asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I know that if a lawyer stops getting paid, (s)he can request to stop representing someone and get taken off the case. But someone once told me that rule doesn't apply for labor law cases. Is it true, and if so, why?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Dumb question: is there any difference between an attorney and a lawyer, or is it a historical quirk

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nonexistence posted:

No one really cares, but my recollection from the last pedantry I heard on this is that lawyers is the universe of people licensed to practice law, and attorneys are the subset of lawyers who offer legal representation to others. So under this definition, say a licensed lawyer who solely does regulatory work for the government might not also be an attorney. Same for someone doing contracts management, doc review, in-house but relying on outside counsel for litigation, etc.

This makes sens, thanks

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yes, but I'm not in the US.

huh. What is the difference in whatever country you're in?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Muir posted:

I am a patent attorney in the United States. I am a member of the California bar but did not go to law school. California and three other states (Washington, Vermont, Virginia) still have pure apprenticeship routes to becoming eligible for the bar examination. In California it’s called law office study (https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber). So in those four states at least, the Venn diagram isn’t entirely accurate.

More broadly, I agree with the above couple of posters that whatever technical distinction there may have been, attorney and lawyer now mean “licensed member of the bar” interchangeably. I know several JDs who aren’t members of the bar and none of them would think to call themselves lawyers.

Are you one of the weirdos who gets a graduate degree in a STEM field and then becomes a patent troll

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Muir posted:

Not sure what you mean about being a patent troll. I’ve only worked in big law and in biotech startups, so unless you consider all patent holders to be trolls, then no.

im just being glib and making the same crack I do to everyone who does the PhD-JD thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Why is tree law so draconian?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Can you pass off a failed test because of a new poppy seed diet

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Even though the government recommends the 2000 limit, according to wikipedia, some places still use the 300 limit which seems ...not great

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If a lawyer works as in-house counsel for a big company, do they get paid a salary or can they charge their employer billable hours like every other lawyer?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What about the scenario where you are held hostage and the guy forces you to eat a poo poo ton of poppy seeds or else

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What's going on with Elon Musk's racketeering thing? Is there any actual teeth to it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is there anything stopping Implied Consent from being used for other stuff besides DUI?

You know some shady lawyer wants to use it as a defense for sexual assault

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Virginia treats speeding worse than murder

I live in Texas where there are road sections where the speed limit is 85. 85 being reckless sure is a take by Virginia.

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 25, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm in my last semester as a grad student and the university has stiffed me on a couple paychecks. During the normal fall/spring semesters, I am paid out of one bucket of money but I'm paid out of a complete separate bucket for the summer. Problem is, during the last summer session, the incompetent bozos in payroll hosed up my forms and so I have never been paid for the 3 summer months. I have notified both department payroll and central payroll about this and they have been allegedly working on it since July, but every "fix" they tell me they apply never happens. So I go back to complain again, they say they have a new idea how to pay me, nothing happens, repeat process. The latest brilliant idea is to start at the very beginning of the process with a new set of payroll forms, but that will take several weeks at the least before I get paid. I have finally reached the end of my patience.

Is it worth it to hire a labor lawyer and have them try to bully whoever is in charge of the purse string to just cut me a check for the backpay owed? Or will billable hours eat up half my salary anyhow? Since the fall semester has started again, I am being paid correctly, but I would like the 3 months owed to me

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I initially told my advisor (who actually had the same issue, but somehow manged to get everything squared up after only a month) and department payroll person in July, who has been working on this with the central university payroll. Some of the fault is mine as I assumed one of them would notify the chair, which they eventually did, but only last week. He's the one who suggested to start re-initialize from the top with the new forms. Department payroll notified me the Dean's office is taking an interest in some capacity, but I have no idea to the extent.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Javid posted:

What is the statue of limitations for resolving unpaid wages where you are vs how long have they been waffling?

I would have been talking to government agencies about that poo poo during August and definitely not still working for the same org with that kind of debt outstanding

I was knee deep in finishing my dissertation, so I kinda had other things on my mind. Not like I could quit without sending 6 years of work down the tubes

Texas' stuff is 180 days but they also don't cover state agencies, so I would have to go federal instead. And who knows how long that would take.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Can I sue the NFL for violating my 8th amendment rights as them having the loving Jets on every national TV game is extremely cruel and unusual

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Do any of the other states have any recompense against Abbott's migrant scheme other than hoping the Feds get off their rear end? If the New York AG or whoever determines Abbott is human trafficking migrants, what are some options? How does jurisdiction work? Is it where the migrants depart from or where they arrive?

I doubt troopers can arrest an out of state governor, but something has to give

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What if Hitler actually had a trial and needed a lawyer

:godwin:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I thought Fred - DEA would go after the guys moving guns and kilos, not apparently some local rando. That seems like a beat cop thing

How did your client even get on the DEA radar

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

paradoxGentleman posted:

Italy isn't exactly a cornucopia of job offers either. Also, rather importantly, my girlfriend is there.

That's good to know but even if I rushed there and got married ASAP I imagine they'll find someone else for that position in the meantime.

Have your girlfriend move to Italy with you. Problem solved

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Grand Jury meets 3 days every month for 18 months.

This seems extremely excessive

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I remember there was post earlier in the thread about a mistaken identity subpeona. Well,

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm assuming hotlinking Twitter flies here.

how does this idiot have a non-zero chance of the presidency :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Do any of the lawyers ITT have experience with the SF-86? Do PhD advisors typically count as a "Foreign Contact"?