Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My wife has a mentally ill sister (can feed and clean herself, but must be told to do so and helped) who spends most of the day just catatonic staring out the window. Currently the sister is being cared for by my wife's parents. The time is fast approaching that the parents will not be able to care for the sister any more, and my wife and I will have to take over. Oh, and the parents and sister live in Russia, my wife and I live in Alabama.

We want to hire a lawyer, but have no idea what kind we need (please tell me).

Ideally the sister would become a U.S. citizen and would be able to fall in under our health insurance and just live in the mother-in-law apartment over the garage. I have no idea what this would be called legally (perhaps a guardianship?).

Thanks ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Family law attorney for the guardianship, and an immigration attorney for getting her here.

Thanks. Two lawyers, yay.

Ashcans posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I do work in immigration. If you want your sister-in-law to come to the US to live you with you, you need to get in touch with an immigration attorney and work out what needs to be done for this to happen, and you need to do this now. Not in a couple years, not when your in-laws decide that they can't manage her care any longer. Immigration can take a long loving time and you can very easily find yourself screwed if you do not plan properly.

For instance, it is possible for your wife to petition for her sister to come to the US as a Permanent Resident. However, this is the least favored group of family-based applicants. They are currently admitting people in this category who started their process in 2002.

I work primarily in business-based immigration, so it's possible there is another option available that I don't know about, given her capacity and that your sister would be functioning as her legal guardian and caretaker. But immigration is ruthless and doesn't particularly give a poo poo about exceptional cases. This is why you need to find someone to advise you about this right now, because if its a ten year process you had better get moving.

That's pretty wild. Perhaps there is some kind of family hardship provision. Any recommendations on a place to find a good immigration lawyer? I did a quick google and the results were not helpful.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, the advice I got earlier was good. I've spoken with a lawyer about the immigration and he's agreed to take the case. He's also admitted to not being much of an immigration lawyer, but his law firm is interested in getting into this. That being said, he's offered to take my case at a substantially lower rate (his words) if I'll be his test case.

He's asking for a flat fee of 2,800 dollars for the Asylum/Refugee case. Does this seem fair? I want to say it seems very fair, but for all I know these cases usually cost like 500 bucks. Thanks again legal goons!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I am the legal guardian of a Chinese child. I have an English translated birth certificate that was okay to get him registered in school. The school soccer team says that's not good enough for whatever ruling body has authority over the athletics. They want the official birth certificate.

If I get the English translated document notarized will that make it an "official" birth certificate? We're in Alabama.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sure, the individual committed sexual battery

For my own education here: Can you accuse someone of breaking criminal code in a civil lawsuit if the crime was never reported to authorities and/or tried in criminal court?

I think she would have gotten a better response from management if she had called the police immediately and had the guy arrested. And if management did treat her in a negative way she'd probably have a better leg to stand on (in a lawsuit) if the guy had been found guilty of sexually assaulting her.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pixelated Dragon posted:

The recording device is small hat compared to the rest of this. She needs to be out of there stat. Call the cops.

I second this. Women's emergency shelter's are very secretive too. If she just leaves and goes to one he'll never be able to find her, or get info about her (unless she's dumb and contacts him).

If he does persist in trying to find her, he'll find out how bad an idea it is to mess around with one of these shelters.

All of this is assuming she's not going to cause trouble and get kicked out of the shelter.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HalPhilipWalker posted:

She won't go to a women's shelter. She's left or planned to leave a handful of times already (I'm talking just in the past couple of months) and she always goes back. I was asking about wiretapping law because it's the one thing I thought of that I could call the cops on him for and make sure he will actually get arrested. I would have called the cops on him for choking her, but she didn't have any marks on her neck and I wasn't sure she would actually press charges. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he kills her, and I'm worried he might kill me too (he's under the delusion that we've been loving every chance we get).

If what you've stated is true, she doesn't want help. Yours, or anyone else.

Cut sling now. Serious. Just sever all contact.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's you a lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXE_gjje7A

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DNova posted:

Nope. Two sentences is not enough to fully describe his issues.

I'm reading: "I behaved like a complete lunatic and scared everyone in my college with my insanity. Then when the school counselors tried to contact me I barricaded myself in my dorm room, damaging it quite extensively, and they had to have the police take me to a mental hospital. Why wasn't my dorm room preserved for weeks while I was in psych care?!?!??!?! It's been years!! They owe me whatever I make up in my head!!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm restoring a 1944 military jeep in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720155&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The last time this thing had an up to date license plate was 1982. I got it from my grandmother after my grandfather died.

1. Do I need to get the title (replacement)? (grandmother has no idea where it would be)
2. Any ideas on how I get this thing properly registered so I can drive it on the road in 20 years when I finish the rebuild?

I'm in Alabama.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kalman posted:

Put in a camera, give it to local news station, enjoy media frenzy.

As someone who used to be a supervisor on a police force: Film it. Get you asking the cops to pay for it and them laughing at you and walking out. Then get an appointment with their precinct lieutenant (shouldn't be that far from you) and detail all of this + video/audio. Also, keep a log of the dates and times of the thefts with the officers names.

I would be willing to bet that this officer, or officers, are the station dirt bags and the lieutenant will kiss you on the lips for giving him what he needs to fire them.

However, if the lieutenant is a dirtbag too, give it to the local media*.

*Every reasonably sized city has a certain news team that the cops do not like because they report on them. Find and use that news team.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You'll be back in the thread. "I cut a dying drunk's throat and helped him bleed out faster. Do I need a lawyer?"

Why would you cut his throat?

YOU: "I think he died in the crash."
PARAMEDICS: "Yep, looks that way."

THE END

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

"Do people have a legal oblication to clal 911 if a drunk driver hits their car andis bleeding out on the side o fthe road? *Sorry, phoneposting"

I don't know. Do police officers have an obligation to protect you from a criminal?

*No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

joat mon posted:

Would your argument be that you were actually innocent?

Does he bear the burden of proving his innocence in this case?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

joat mon posted:

Yes, but only by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not), but after 4 years it ratchets up to clear and convincing.

Wow.

I was under the impression that arrests don't really mean anything (other than the bother of being arrested and released). In the sense that anyone can be arrested for anything (my law professor's words). It's the conviction from the trial that's important, right?

Are people being discriminated against for arrests now? How is that allowed to pass?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

Because we have a laissez-faire attitude towards employee protection in this country, which works about as well as the laissez-faire attitude we had towards everything going into the Gilded Age.

That's so stupid to me. I've been arrested (never convicted! HA!) and now it's just a couple of rowdy stories from my Soldier days. I do get surprised by the pearl clutching that goes on about it though.

And how does an arrest constitute "a record"? What B.S. I'm going to .....write.....letter......meh... :doom:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kazak_Hstan posted:

probably not illegal to grab his arm

I bet if the guy had just called the cops at that point the manager could have been arrested for assault and battery.

But nope, he went and drew a freaking gun and now people who would have been on his side are not.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nm posted:

Alcohol is as good as cash for lawyers. Its what they're gonna buy with the money anyhow.
In the 80s, coke worked too.

My lawyer friends accept firearms as payment too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sullat posted:

Well, it's not communication

I'd say it is

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dylan16807 posted:

Sure, fair use is allowed, but in some areas almost nothing counts as fair use by the courts' opinion. Oh, you only sampled three notes? Get hosed.

Wow, that seems pretty off.

My father and I run a business that uses images of famous paintings on our product boxes and tags. We simply change the tone of a few, or all, of the colors in the painting and use it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The people who own the estates of those artists can sue depending on whether the image is actually public domain or not. Just because you haven't been caught and sued yet doesn't mean it isn't illegal, especially if your'e doing it purely for profit.

Anyone can sue for anything, I know. We've been doing this for over a decade and the estates are well aware of it. I let our lawyer handle this stuff, but according to him they can't really do anything about it as long as it isn't an exact copy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

discarded box posted:

I am afraid to get a lawyer because

Can't he get a lawyer to help him get some kind of immunity in writing? Like: "I do a controlled buy and the possession charge against me goes away."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

xxEightxx posted:

cops tell you one thing or say helping them will be better for you,

Ex-cop here. When I would say that to people I usually meant that I would mention to the judge, or the prosecutor, that you had cooperated.

So basically it's meaningless don't go for it. And I know guys who would say that and only mean that they would be a little bit nicer to you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Javid posted:

72 in a 45 might be much worse than 62 in a 45. Some places have laws where, say, 25 over the limit is something like reckless driving in addition to the speeding ticket itself. Worst case, the cop tells them the truth and you go to actual jail. Consider your options carefully.

20 over the limit is mandatory arrest in a lot of places. I've written a lot of 19 over the limit to avoid the hassle of arresting a bunch of people every day.

Pleading not guilty? lol. You're going to leave court in handcuffs bro.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lobsterpillar posted:

they're out of luck - the government owns the road.

Yeah, but the government is made up of "the people".

Depending on the size/makeup of a congregation/association they could have quite an impact on what's done, and where.

But I'm assuming in this particular case they've lost that bid.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kalman posted:

gently caress those people and their self-centered bullshit.

Agreed. Cyclists are the worst.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Which one of you is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZiqwRnwtM

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lobsterpillar posted:

It depends. What if you're hiring them as a wedding planner instead of as a lawyer?

I like money. So yes, I'll plan your wedding.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KillHour posted:

Lawyers have very good imaginations.

I had to share a room with a National Guard Jag Officer who was a criminal defense lawyer at his real job

I asked him one evening, while he was morosely sifting through a mountain of papers, what his civilian job was like.

He replied: "Mostly trying to keep pedophiles out of jail."

:stonk:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

joat mon posted:

If that wasn't gallows humor on the JAG's part, the guy's not just in the wrong line of business, but in the polar opposite wrong line of business.

He and I are bother older Soldiers with multiple deployments. It was humor.

Speaking of legal stuff: How fun is it to pull into the base every day and be greeted by federal police officers that you busted for drugs when you were their commander (and they were still in the military)? Answer: It's pretty fun.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 26, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DuckConference posted:

A judge is in serious trouble for ordering the tasing of a sovereign citizen:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/judge-pleads-guilty-to-ordering-defendant-shocked-with-50000-volts/

I had no idea stun cuffs existed.

Having been tasered before, I hope the judge goes to jail for a year.

Can you imagine the power trip we'd give officials if they could just electrocute you during court whenever you annoyed them? lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you have some experience with programming? Are you comfortable socializing with engineers? Don't mind working for defense contractors programming murder machines? It's a growth field.

I bet he voted Obama too. lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bitchkrieg posted:

I'm a new (2 months) employee at a small company in PA. I am the only employee under my boss, and since my very first day, have been subject to a wide variety of sexual harassment. My boss has been there years and is in a position of authority within the company, including being pals with the company's owner. Most of the day, we work together - alone - in our respective offices. He comes into my office to chat multiple times during the day.

Among other things, he has explicitly discussed his dick size with me, his sex life, my sex life (he asks about, and comments on, my sexual behavior), his crush on a coworker, etc. Last week he told me "Korean guys have small dicks, but it's okay because their women are sized to match...I had to break up with a Korean girlfriend because my dick was too big for her." Seriously.

Of course, there's a line between just being an rear end in a top hat and actual factual harassment. He has also expressed, repeatedly, that he hates Muslims and Asians, his desire to see humanity die, how much he despises affirmative action and feminism, how women's claims to rape are really about regret, etc.

He has repeatedly told me he thinks I'm amazing and smart, am producing great, high-quality work, and he will work with me however (pay, time, etc.) to get to where I want to be. When he asks about my sex/political/personal life, I just say "Oh yeah, hah, I don't really discuss my politics/sex/personal life in a professional environment" and leave it at that. I am trying not to encourage this, but he veers wildly off into rants and tangents with no prompting.

Basically, what can I do to legally protect myself? Or what should I be doing? My concern is reporting it to HR will lead to retaliation or a super uncomfortable (moreso than already-) work environment, plus he's so entrenched in the company that I doubt they'll do anything. PA is also an at-will employment state.

I started keeping a word document of everything he says with notes about time.
At this point, I'm holding out as long as I can before the comedy option of printing out the document, giving it to the VP, and asking for a good reference and severance package. Help.

e: the company overall has 250+ employees. The department I'm in is just my boss and me.

I'm no lawyer, but I do play a senior HR manager for a very large organization on T.V.

In addition to notes and time on that document keep the date. Also, quote what he says on there.

If possible, write in the names of witnesses too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

When people say, "Cops just write tickets to get the revenue!" my response is, "Well, I was thinking of starting a petition to change monetary fines for traffic tickets into jail time instead, would you like to sign?"

To be honest, my stay in a municipal jail wasn't so bad. The cell was clean and I got a mcdonald's breakfast the next morning. I did end up convicted of loitering at court later though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Every few months we have someone who asks to sit out their tickets. If you don't have steady work, and a five-thirty day vacation is an option for you, its sometimes preferable.

I argued with a cop who arrested me for trespassing. I wasn't trespassing, so I got loitering because I wouldn't quit being "disrespectful" to the cop who made up a reason to arrest me. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SkunkDuster posted:

Say Guy 1 is beating up on a girl out back of a bar. Guy 2 sees it happening and beats the hell out of Guy 1. Guy 2 ends up with an assault charge and decided to go to trial. If you are the prosecutor, what do you look for in a jury to get the conviction?

Guy 1.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nm posted:

The sound legal advice is to keep the pistol locked, unloaded in the trunk in a box. The world isn't so terrifying that you need a gun at the ready at all times. This isn't Mogadishu.

What kind of gangster are you? Sheesh.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Every time I read this thread I'm glad I live in a country that has nation-wide laws for these sorts of things. I don't think I could deal with this per-state, per-county bullshit.

Edit: my country is poo poo in every other aspect please don't take this post as some sort of dick-waving thing.

Well, we have a lot of states (cities even) that have larger size and populations that many countries.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does that really matter?

Are lease agreements really that different from one giant city to another? I get that ~~~state's rights~~~ are a big deal in the US, but in the end it usually works against the the average Joe just trying to not get hosed when renting out an apartment.

I don't know. Do you really think people that live 2,500 miles away from you should be getting a say in the minutia of your city/county law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hermsgervørden posted:

I appreciate your thoughts. I recommended to the other board members that we look to lawyer up, but no one else on the board wants to spend the money. To quote our treasurer: "We aren't being sued, and we don't want to sue anyone." Any anecdotes I can point to that might sway them? I'm outnumbered 4-1 on this. My "this could all end in expensive, adjudicated, tears" sense is tingling, but no one else's are.

Obviously the answer might be to lawyer up all on my lonesome, but unfortunately if that is the answer, I'd rather just resign from the board. I don't have that kind of budget. That would suck for me, because I care about (some) of the stuff we work on, and being on this board has actually given me a lot of chances to push for things I care about in venues I wouldn't have been part of otherwise.

What the hell are you doing in a public meeting that you're so scared of being recorded? If she's got a giant news camera with a tripod just tape off an area that she's allowed to set up in so it's not in the way.