Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

an owls casket posted:

Cross posting from the home repair thread:

IANAL, but try contacting your home insurance company. In my strata, water damage inside the property falls under homeowner’s insurance, and the roof would most likely be under the strata’s jurisdiction. Our property does not have skylights but the attic is the strata’s responsibility. Your home insurance should be able to act on your behalf if the strata is not playing ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Even in Canada the cops won’t do much of anything about hate preachers. They’re allowed to say what they want if they are a) reasonable volume, b) not impeding right of way, and c) not making threats (like “I am going to kill that gay man in the blue shirt across the street” specific level).

There was a case last year or so where two men tried to pour water on a gay bashing preacher’s equipment and the preacher ended up breaking one of the men’s legs. He did get done for assault but the man with the broken leg is still in rehab and also got cautioned for trying to ruin the guy’s equipment. This is after multiple contacts with the VPD.

However the VPD could have told the assholes to move along, especially since they were doing this IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAY DISTRICT, but they don’t because that’s effort.

I do however enjoy telling them God is Dead cause that usually gets them riled up enough for a laugh.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's been a trend for a very long time. What seems to be happening lately though is floods of low level job postings for which *nobody* is hired, the position is reposted, etc. I've seen stories posted about people getting recruited multiple times for the same gig etc.

I suspect it's some sort of large scale fraud, maybe businesses trying to show they were trying to hire please give us more funding, maybe recruiting billing scams, who knows.

Wasn’t one of the conditions of getting certain loans or Covid benefits to be seen to be hiring, yet all you have to do is post jobs and not actually hire anyone? I swear I read an article like this somewhere but all the ones I’m googling are just talking about how people are more demanding with their benefits blah blah blah blame the workers.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

DTaeKim posted:

It was the potential for $10K that had him spooked. It's his first offense in 10 years.

I told him to show up to court, dress up, and apologize. Personally it sounds like the cop had a power trip but that's neither here or there. Guess no attorney then.

Don’t they usually give you the amount of the fine when you get the ticket? That sounds weird that he wouldn’t even know if it was just a pull over.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 17, 2022

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Create joinder with yourself, diarrhea mole

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Tunicate posted:

your best bet for getting money back is to scrutinize your credit card's benefits and see if it happens to be covered by some overlooked travel guarantee

This is how I recovered a majority of the money from my cancelled trip from April 2020, cause I bought almost everything non-refundable. :smithicide: In the end it helped a lot, thank gently caress.

Lesson learned: don’t travel.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

cwinkle posted:

It turns out that even though I bought the tickets on ticketmaster.com and all communication regarding my purchase, venue policy changes, and theoretical refund came from a ticketmaster email address, my purchase was with Stubhub. Stubhub and Ticketmaster now both say they are not responsible for my refund becuase "they didn't sell me the tickets a 3rd party sold them."

I even bought event insurance through Ticketmaster just in case of a Covid problem but that actually was sold to me by Allianz who says my policy specifically excludes Covid from their event coverage.

I asked my credit card company about a chargeback. They call it "disputing the charges." I did buy the tickets and the event did take place I just didn't attend because I didn't want to be in a concert hall back in August with whatever new variant was going around. Also I took Ticketmaster at their word that I was eligible for a refund due to the policy changes. I doubt my credit card company will side with me but I will give it a shot.

You might be out of luck because it was your decision to not attend. If the concert had been cancelled or postponed you may be able to get away with Services Not Rendered. Hopefully they can find something in the documentation that they can use in their favor.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

toplitzin posted:

Please enjoy the tale of Sandra Ann.

Royal Bank of Canada
Vs
i woman sandra-ann, acting as agent for and on behalf of SANDRA ANDERSON, A.K.A. sandra-ann:woman,

Ms. Anderson also took the unconventional step of retaining a Calgary-based pseudolaw lawyer, Daniel Terry Lozinik, “private sovran attorney general”

About those magic checks...

Reminds me of my favourite, Meads v. Meads, one of the OG judgements and dissections of Sovereign Citizens. https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Edit: haha of course it’s loving cited! This is great.

\/\/\/ :monocle: Oh that poor bastard.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 5, 2022

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

oliveoil posted:

Thanks everyone! Found a debt settlement attorney that says they can probably help me settle for half the amount over about two years, and only about $2k in up front fees. That's pretty much the ideal outcome for me because I want to keep my savings to trade options with over the next few months rather than hand it all over and miss any big stock market moves.

I'm going to sue you for the whiplash this loving post gave me.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

What’s a nice, polite way to tell someone “if you want money call your loving home insurance, I ain’t giving you a dime”?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

^^^ Can you legally add Dickbutt to that?

Devor posted:

Does it need to be nice enough to avoid having the homeowners insurance come after you with a subrogation demand

Or just nice enough to keep getting Christmas cards

Nice enough to say “I’m not just going to give a blank cheque to you without proof or at least an estimated cost, kindly gently caress off”

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 14, 2023

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

BigHead posted:

The hilarious thing in Anchorage right now where the mayor unilaterally signed an unbudgeted, unapproved, and blatantly illegal contact for millions so that his buddy could build the new homeless shelter and the Assembly refuses to pay out.

Holy poo poo

Sadly it’s rather mundane. The issue was already being remediated by my contractor, and they were almost done when they were told they weren’t welcome back. Now I get an email saying they want me personally to promise to pay for the rest, without an estimate or any other info. Just “promise you’ll pay”. No.

But please, don’t let me stop you, I’m clearly the reincarnation of George Washington and I went to town on a tree that then fell on top of Snookums the alpaca.*

*This is sarcasm and is not true. I am clearly John Majors.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 14, 2023

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Thread success story: I told my neighbor to shove their request for money, that they denied the worker from entering to fix their poo poo and now it’s their problem. They actually called him back in because they didn’t know he wasn’t finished. Idiots.

Anyway it’s no longer my problem so thank you Law Goons :angel:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Skunkduster posted:

Minnesota

For the last couple years, when I fill up my tank at the gas station, I will buy a powerball/mega millions lottery ticket if the jackpot is high and pay for the entire purchase with my credit card. It is a visa credit card and not a debit card or a debit/credit card. I found out today that Minnesota prohibits buying lottery tickets with a credit card. Either the place that I get my gas and lottery tickets doesn't know it is prohibited (illegal?) or they don't care. Hypothetically, if I had matched all numbers and won the jackpot, would it be forfeit if the state/lottery office found out that the ticket was purchased with a credit card?

I can’t answer your question directly but I can give an example from where I live. We have stand-alone lotto booths in places like malls and grocery stores, but you can also buy tickets from convenience stores. If you buy from the former, it’s considered a cash-like transaction and you’re billed cash advance interest. If you buy from the latter, the sale comes up as from that store which is a normal purchase. The difference is the location and the fact one is classified as gambling while the other is a convenience store. That is probably why they allow you to purchase tickets; it isn’t a lottery-only dealer.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I am Canadian and I agree with HA. If you have to ask, you need to ask a lawyer yourself.

(Is this joinder? Oh no I hope not.)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

BigHead posted:

My local courthouse had a full jury trial over ownership of a cat. It was an office cat at an accountant's office. The office burned down, and the super nice front desk lady who had been taking care of this cat for years took the cat home. The owner sued her rear end and demanded she give the owner the cat. Went to a jury, as I said, and there was a full week long trial. The judge had to tell the jurors several times to take the cat custody case seriously. Each party had a lawyer, and the we're depositions and everything. God knows how much it cost.

I found a local newspaper article describing the summary judgment hearing where the judge ruled there was an issue of material fact.

The cat's name was Carl, which is an excellent name for an accountant cat.

I hate you for bringing this up because all I can find are two articles that talk about the lawsuit but not about the resolution you jerk

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Skunkduster posted:

Can you be convicted of attempted murder of someone who is already dead? I was thinking of the ending of American Beauty. The wife is coming home with the intent to kill Kevin Spacey, but the neighbor kills him first. Let's say that she was questioned by the cops on the way home and admitted she was going to kill her husband, but they found that he was already dead when she gave the confession.

Don’t you need actus reus?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I know there was a big issue here in the Lower mainland recently regarding defense lawyers and how they defended their client.

Summary:
Child A is raped and murdered in a local park while walking with headphones in her ears.
Suspect is arrested later and charged with murder.
DNA on the victim was matched to the suspect.
Defense used the “she wasn’t that innocent” defense, suggesting it was consensual sex and someone else murdered the victim.
Suspect was convicted.

This ended with the Child’s father bringing a loaded gun to the courtroom and multiple threats against the defense lawyers and their families.

So… I know defense lawyers have a duty to defend. But that defense is just hard to comprehend as a lay person when something so heinous as that happens. They didn’t even deny the DNA evidence. So it came across a lot like victim blaming, and idk, how often does that actually work these days?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Skunkduster posted:

Thank you all for the very well thought out answers. To a layperson like me, it has been a very informative read.

Same, thank you all.

Just to add, the general consensus on the situation was “we understand why the victim’s family feels that way, but holy poo poo how did he get a loaded gun into a courtroom?!” They’re installing metal detectors now.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Dumbass lawyer gets suspended from law, and also gets rear end handed to her by judge, all because she went Sov Cit over a balcony wall.

The case got resolved today and everyone’s like “A lawyer did this? An actual lawyer?” It’s loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

This may have been an April Fools thing, but knowing that crosswalk it’s a drat good idea.