Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it Mcro, McRO, MCRO or McRo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lord1234 posted:

Employee F and Employee M work together(but are not related). F and M are abbreviations for gender. Employee F and M are both expecting(seperately). F has Short Term Disability coverage(and is covered). M does too, but the pregnancy of his wife is a pre-existing condition(they got it after conception). F is expected to take STD during FMLA at a 30% pay cut. M is being told to take vacation(from their unlimited vacation bucket) for paternity at 100% pay. He has been ok'd to take ~6 weeks of time off, and work from home 2 extra weeks. Is this gender discrimination?

yes, she should be offered 6 weeks of 100% followed by 70% STD for as long as she's disabled

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

But is it unlawful?

nothing's unlawful unless you sue

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ulmont posted:

From the patent prosecution standpoint, "patent agent" just means "cheaper patent associate."

A patent agent can't give legal advice regarding infringement or licensing, but they can draft patent applications and respond to the USPTO about them.

Which also means that they don't get looped into litigation cases, so they wind up working more regular hours

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i was thinking about this last night in the SPAM, what sort of law exists around use of trademarks and their homophones? I know this is a broad question, so by example:

some boring C-list celebs are making money from a podcast called The West Wing Weekly. Would fair use extend to a satirical treatment of said podcast's title, applied to a new podcast addressing a similar set of content called The West Wing, Weakly? You're theoretically priming/confusing the consumer because there's no difference in pronunciation, only in spelling. asking for a friend myself.

Step 1) is that actually trademarked

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Very broad IP question. Given that IP "rights" originate from a differently constructed source than other rights in the constitution, how much leeway does the government, or the executive, have in altering or enforcing those rights. Could President Trump (with the cooperation of Congress) federalize the secret recipe for Coca Cola? How about the patent on the McRib? Would either be considered a taking necessarily subject to restitution? I know that IP is generally delegated; are there any particular limits on its delegation?

28 USC 1498

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
SCOTUS is garbage

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my only time actually being a lawyer was representing my wife in traffic court

i "won"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU