Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think the real question might be is there an age limit for college football players, from either the NCAA or the college itself.

If they’re ineligible to play in college then they can’t use up any requisite college eligibility.

NFL from 14-18, then you gotta go to NCAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If you really think that the thread is all wrong and just being a bunch of assholes than please do give us the full story. if you think they might be right maybe stop yelling at them for giving you the advice you asked for.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is it a written order? Try to get it in writing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Is this because the lack of speed signs meant the legal speed limit on that section of road actually was 45, or because in America ignorance of the law is a defence? Over here I don't think you could win even if it was legitimately not signposted because technically that's a mistake of law rather than fact (i.e. you're aware of which road you're driving on, just not that the law on that road is to drive at a particular speed).

There's a famous case about it here where a guy who wanted to go abalone fishing went and got an official map of the places he was allowed to do that, except the map was wrong and he ended up accidentally fishing somewhere he wasn't allowed to. It went all the way to the high court where the judges basically went "why the gently caress did you prosecute this instead of using your discretion and letting it go, now we have to find against him because technically he's in the wrong since he knew where he was and the law says he shouldn't have been there."

How does the loving high court not have discretion here?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A local auto repair shop just sent me a fake check which is allegedly a coupon but it doesn't contain any of the usual coupon disclaimers. Is there anyone can I can exploit this to get cash?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If you circle a block and he follows you that's harrassment

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
negligence.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
the idea that you can't take and use the money you've been given because you think they owe you more is completely absurd.

though I know it might be a thing because the law is completely absurd

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I bet they know a guy at the dealerships they want to recommend

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wallet posted:

Is getting jury duty super dependent on where you live or something? I keep meeting 40 year olds who have never been called when I was first called within months of turning 18 and I've gotten summoned within a few months of my three year disqualification running out every time since. I've been summoned twice before the three years expired and had to provide proof that I had already served, and I was summoned twice for the same date the first time I was summoned—once with my actual name, and once with my name misspelled.

Does someone at the courthouse hate me? Do I need to change my name to get lower on the list? Should I flee the country? Help me, lawfolk.

Could they have you listed more than once?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are there any legal implications for mailing someone a print of pig-pooping-on-balls.jpg?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm not saying to blackmail anyone, but I am saying you seem to be in possession of a written request to participate in a criminal conspiracy from someone who you want something from.

Turn informant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How many Twitter followers before you're a public figure?

Hypothetical: A couple was reported loving in public in 2004 at 5:30 AM by a mother driving her children to daycare before work. Initially there were 3 counts of public indecency and one count of exhibition before a minor. The latter count is under the subsection of state law dealing with molestation. The result was a plea with no admission and a fine on one count of indecent exposure. They later become slightly well known in social media. Various people who consider the couple political enemies, including some attorneys, coordinate a smear campaign to release some of the court documents and directly state that the couple are convicted pedophiles. I have no idea what state anyone is in. Is any if it actionable?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Let's say I help my brother buy a house. It's valued at 200k but being short sold for 75k, he just can't get a mortgage. So I got one and signed a contract reselling it to him for the terms mirroring those of the mortgage. He's paid me back the part of the down payment I helped with and has made all the mortgage payments, first I passed the money along then he just started sending the checks directly.

Who's got equity?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nope. A lawyer did it though and there's no issues I just I don't know which of us technically holds equity and it's become relevant.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 28, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Where exactly is the vehicle?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Devor posted:

Hypothetically, if I am going to do contract work on spec in the hopes of getting paid later - am I committing Unemployment Insurance fraud when I collect money for that work later, after collecting UI while doing the work?

A second hypothetical:

My bosses laid me off and told me not to work on a patent I was doing at work. But I went home and finished the patent. How much of that patent do I own now?

UI varies by state, but my understanding generally is that you get paid when you get paid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

If you include ALJs and arbitrators as judges there are actually lots of positions

Unemployment compensation offices are probably hiring

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What you're describing sounds like evidence of filing a frivolous suit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Hypothetically, if my friend was collecting partial unemployment while working part time and their employer asked them to pick up an extra shift a day before said shift, would said friend’s refusal of that shift be considered a refusal of work for ui purposes? Let’s say they are based in Iowa.

My understanding is you can't refuse offers of employment. If this isn't a promotion to full time employment or some other permanent increase in weekly hours, I'm not sure how it could affect UI.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is getting a little circular.

"but they should!"
"but it could happen!"
"but it's reasonable!"

Ok but they still don't offer it so what else do you want

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You are selling the algorithm but you didn't have to use disney content in any identifiable way that's just you being a dummy. Give Mickey a tiny dick

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd love to hear more about these various suits

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Look, this dude is super loving litigious he doesn't deserve the 1.2m he's asking for"?

Did someone burn down your nice house, your most personally loved Pop, or something in between?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

How many Twitter followers before you're a public figure?

Hypothetical: A couple was reported loving in public in 2004 at 5:30 AM by a mother driving her children to daycare before work. Initially there were 3 counts of public indecency and one count of exhibition before a minor. The latter count is under the subsection of state law dealing with molestation. The result was a plea with no admission and a fine on one count of indecent exposure. They later become slightly well known in social media. Various people who consider the couple political enemies, including some attorneys, coordinate a smear campaign to release some of the court documents and directly state that the couple are convicted pedophiles. I have no idea what state anyone is in. Is any if it actionable?

I asked about libelous rumors awhile ago. They've made there way here and a poster is spreading "convicted sex offender who did time" in D&D. Which is interesting legally.

Does the fact that random goons quote her twitter opinion on these forums make her a public figure? I've never been clear on the bar.

Should mods care about hosting libel? Not that they don't, I don't think it's come up. I doubt she's gonna sue jeffery this is just highpotthetical.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hmm. I'm trying to keep this away from named names and shared legal documents of other people and imported drama. I have no idea of there's any kind of lawsuit and I'm unconnected to the parties I just think it's super lovely and report everyone spreading I can find.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 20, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hoshi posted:

If you're wondering if someone is a public figure but won't readily identify them it sounds like they're not a public figure

This is fair. How many people independently recognize them may be a relevant metric. If only we could start a poll... Anyway. I'll let it go like the song

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 20, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Seems like it'd be fine to just lie

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A friend from law school posted this:

quote:

On Monday a judge called 15 jurors, me, my co-counsel, my client, two prosecutors, a bailiff, two deputies, and a court reporter into court KNOWING that a member of his staff (with a physical office in his chambers) had tested positive with symptomatic covid over the weekend.
This morning I was made to come sit in a crowded jail lobby with my client and approximately 30 other people to sign a form which could have easily been faxed. The check-in person was unmasked (behind glass with an enormous open pass though hole for all of her germs), we were told to sit and wait, we signed a form, and we were told we could go.
Neither of these appearances were necessary to ensure my clients' rights. Both of these appearances were at the insistence of the courts who prioritized the progress of their dockets with reckless disregard for the health and safety of the participants in the criminal justice system.

It's definitely going to vary wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Doing a trial online is a bit of a farce. You can't expect a witness to testify while calling in from the chair in their dentist's office. You can't do a meaningful cross examination of someone who's sitting in their car in a parking lot. (Both real examples from some webex court bench trial dates I've attended recently, or rather real potential examples -- the prosecutor wanted to go forward and the defense atty in each case blocked it one way or another).

That said a lot of procedural and low-stakes stuff yeah I expect online will become a new standard going forward.

I did 'low stakes' (the stakes are actually huge to the member of the public involved) hearings by phone for a while and it's definitely a lot more difficult to make what feels like a meaningful credibility assessment that way, but how good are people at those anyway? To use a common scenario "Was [necessary document] submitted?", most of my coworkers tended to believe that if the Agency didn't have the document, the client didn't turn it in. My supervisor went the other way, I had to really convince him that I believed the person was lying about it if that was the case, because the person representing the Agency involved wasn't the only person in the chain handling documents and any number of other Agency workers could have misplaced what was submitted.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 15, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I dunno how a law firm works in terms of being legally set up, but might this be a case of one rear end in a top hat trying to effectively snipe another assholes commission?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My instinct says "no" because at the end of the day she still has the right to change her mind.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Louisiana is ridiculous and will often be an exception to how things are done everywhere else

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She wants to talk to an elder law attorney. The goal should be to get all the assets given away or handed off or walled off so that Medicare and Medicaid can bear the end of life care costs without destroying her principal.

This. An important thing is to not try to give money away at all until you talk to the attorney.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

eke out posted:

one of the funniest things you have to learn for the FL bar is that if you have posted a sign that includes the phrase "BAD DOG" (specifically, it must have those two words in that order) on your property and your dog then bites someone on your property, you aren't liable

it seems mean to the dogs though :(

Open and obvious hazard. :shittydog:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also don't let your cats outside. They're devastating to local wildlife.

I strongly question how much this matters given the various other apololypsi we've been kicking off, but I respect the sentiment.

bird with big dick posted:

I assume nearly everyone files against their own insurance. A lot of the people are guilty of driving too fast for conditions, failure to maintain control, etc. Gonna probably be tough to prove otherwise without a dash cam.

My grandpa used to tell a story about an accident he was in started by a car plowing into someone at a stoplight that chain reactioned 3 or 4 other cars in front of the guy that causes it where everyone had to pay for the damage to the car in front of them. I always suspected he was misremembering but I dunno maybe people were really stupid in the 70s or whenever.

As I understand it, in some states there is law setting strict liability on the rear driver hitting the person in front of them, regardless of circumstances. So not just safe follow, but safe "plowed into from behind" stopped distance.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hypnotism can't make you do things you aren't predisposed towards. Essentially the state of hypnosis gives you a sense of freedom to be silly and act like a chicken or what have you, but can't force you to, so a hypnotist would never be liable.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Whether or not the cat is required to be outside for it's health is complicated fact to determine. Generally we rely on the testimony of experts such as a veterinarian or someone who knows the cat.

When I was an ALJ medical issues were by far the hardest. Is it medically necessary for a woman to be fed by someone else if she has a perfectly good left arm that she will not feed herself with due to cultural norms regarding the cleanliness of the left hand? Does it change your opinion when the legal fact of medical necessity determines whether additional hours of aide services are allotted based on the need? Should we expect medical evidence of harm caused by not eating? How does it change things to know that the paid aide is her son-in-law who lives there?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

toplitzin posted:

It's ok, the cat probably also has to be left intact for "very good vet reasons, but don't worry, only I know those reasons, but you are wrong for judging me about your wrong guesses. I'm going to take my cat and go outside now."

What is your history of veterinary training?
Have you personally interviewed the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

In house counsel that wants to draft pleadings but doesn’t want to pay me to fix them before filing it. I’m not gonna sign off on all these made up affirmative defenses in federal court

Lawyers come up with some really specious bullshit, it can be impressive.