Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I have a question about music licensing. I want to do an animation using a song from the Venture Brothers and sell it. Eventually.

Would I need to pay a license fee to the song's creator, JG Thirlwell, or to the property owner, Adult Swim / Cartoon Network? Or is it different on a case by case basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The existing The Venture Bros.: The Music of J. G. Thirlwell is an ASCAP licensed album. You'd license through them.

https://www.ascap.com/music-users

Hmm. ASCAP says they do bulk licensing, and to contact the publisher for single songs. It sounds like I might need two licenses - one for if I put it on YouTube, and another for selling physical copies? Like anyone buys DVDs anymore, lol. I could try the "free with a donation" move like at a convention, but I know that's a gray area.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just as an example, it’s not true that “Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years.”

Speaking to a psychologist taught me that in NJ the statue of limitations on childhood SA is seven years or until the victim reaches the age of 55.

I declined, not to protect the bastard, but to spare my mother. I still have time, and karma's not done with them yet.

e: \/ I don't know. I think it was only 7 years at the start, and they added the age 55 part afterwards.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 20, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

/\ In NJ, the smell of weed is no longer a cop excuse to search someone's car. But in CA it is. If they can see paraphernalia in plain sight and suspect you're under the influence, that's different.

Skunkduster posted:

This is kind of out of nowhere, but if you were walking around wearing a t-shirt that says, "I have cocaine in my pocket", would that give a cop reasonable suspicion to search you?

I have a shirt that says "Do Not Resuscitate" depicting methods of suicide on it, and I often wonder the same thing but for EMTs.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 7, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Some police drug dogs face retirement because they can't unlearn signaling for the scent of weed in legal states.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You cannot be overqualified to work at a library, if anything it should be a good sign. Many places require a Master's in Library Science just to be considered.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Is it a distinction between 'the evidence was stolen property and taken without a warrant,' or 'the police arrived to discover the perpetrators and evidence of their crime was in plain sight?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Here's a stupid scenario I hope I can fix before it escalates:

E: I think I'll go with rule #2 and make some calls.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 27, 2024