Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In today's news, some teenager stole a car then blasted through a park where kids were playing, and eventually was stopped when he was rammed by an off-duty cop in (what I assume) is his POV Dodge Ram. Here is a news story if you are interested in more details.

If they guy that owned the Ram was not an off duty cop, would he have any recourse for the damages to his truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hey NM, is this a normal judge/PD relationship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCe8D3TSFGk

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

On the subject of family and money...

With the Powerball up over 200M, I got to daydreaming and thought back on something I read or watched about lottery winners having their family relations ruined by money. One thing I remember is a winner giving a one-time money gift to all family members on the grounds that if they accept it, they are never allowed to ask for money again. I guess it worked out pretty well for that lottery winner to keep everything good in the family, but how does a term like that have any legal recourse? You can take this one-time gift on the condition that you never ask for money again. If you breach that contract and start bugging me for money, the repercussions will be ???

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Years ago, I was the front car at a red light in a left turn lane with a cop behind me. The cop flipped on his lights and sirens and started honking his horn, so I assumed I was getting pulled over. As soon as the light turned green, I did my left turn and the cop just took off going straight down the road. Turns out, he just wanted me to get out of his way.

Could I have been found guilty of obstruction if the only option for getting out of his way was to break the law and run the red light?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Halman posted:

I've just had an offer of employment retracted because their background check agency reported a case that had been dismissed as having been a conviction against me. I have written documentation from both the agency and my former potential employer. I'm wondering if I have any recourse at all and where I'd start, I'm in Minnesota if that matters.

Just out of curiosity, was it dismissed on the spot, or on terms to be dismissed if you complete a probationary period? I had something very similar happen where I was charged with X (bad charge) and they would reduce it to Y (not such a big deal) if I plead guilty. I plead guilty and got some fines and a year of unsupervised probation with the usual "don't get in any legal trouble" stipulation. There was also a 5 year additional probation of "don't do this exact crime again". Four years later, I had a background check done for a job and it popped up with the original bad charge. Turns out, it was on my record as the original bad charge and would be reduced at the completion of my 5 year secondary probation.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Forget about going after his TV or his money. Heroin addicts use blowjobs as currency. Figure out how many blowjobs $250 would buy you from a prostitute, then multiply that number by 3. The value of a professional blowjob is worth three times as much as one from a strung out amateur smack junkie.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

When I was in the US Army, you got so many days of leave per year and there was a use/lose if you were over at a certain date. If you are in the military, stationed on a base in CA, and lets just say your home of residence is also CA, would state law have any bearing?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there somebody I can PM to figure out some dollar amounts based on judgements? I don't need legal advice. Just looking through public court records and would like somebody to take a look and explain to me how 50+75=650 and how bank overdraft fees ended up with the cops saying "pay $650 to city hall by closing time today or go to jail". I'm just trying to put the pieces together to figure out what happened because it doesn't make sense to me that overdraft fees are paid to the county at city hall under the threat of arrest.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Court costs and prosecution fees make sense. Would it be safe to assume that the money paid to city hall was for that and the original 50+75 and overdraft fees owed to the bank is still outstanding? I figured that overdraft fees would be a civil matter and a judgement would be issued against them and paychecks would be garnished. There is a huge gap between "I overdrafted on my account" and "The cops are here and I need some money to pay city hall or else I will go to jail". The person in question is oblivious and thinks that everything is settled since they paid city hall and avoided jail, but I'm guessing that the money that went to city hall doesn't cover the original debt to the bank and they need to make some calls to find out for sure instead of assuming everything is peachy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm assuming there isn't a simple answer, but what constitutes legal advice? If somebody walked into your office or this thread and you said "your local housing authority/ACLU/NAACP/whatever would be better able to help you with this", does that constitute legal advice?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I got a notice of public hearing today because somebody wants to convert a house in my neighborhood to a duplex. Is this some strange legalese, or is the grammar of this sentence all hosed up?

"A conditional use request to change the permitted use of a single-family dwelling to a two-family dwelling/units (duplex) than allowed in an R-1 district."

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I understand what it is. I'm just thrown off by the use of the word "than" in that sentence.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

This leaves the practical side of how foreclosures work. At the foreclosure sale, you aren't likely to get FMV for the house - who's gonna buy a house for full price, without even having looked in it, done a title run on it, so on. Risky. So, these houses sell at a discount, if they sell at all. The bank will bid on its own house, up to the dollar value of the note. If you haven't made a mortgage payment in 3 years, and you owe $100K on the principal+interest and another $10K in fees and charges, then the bank will bid on the house up to $110,000.00. If the bank wins the bidding, they 'pay themselves' and take title to the house.

What if you bought some overpriced mcmansion during the bubble for 300K, still owed 250K and the market value had dropped to 150K due to market collapse, lovely construction, neglect, or whatever? Would the bank still go up to $250K on a house now only worth $150K?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

Like everything else, personal recommendations are the best way to go. Ask your friends or professors if they've had a legal issue and who their lawyer was (doesn't matter what kind of legal issue since you probably won't wind up using that lawyer).

Now go to that lawyer and say "hey can you recommend me somebody who might be able to help with issue x?"

For example, if I wanted a divorce lawyer, would I be out of line by looking up personal injury lawyers and cold calling them to ask for a recommendation? Seems like that would just irritate them.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

From a lawyers perspective, what is it like going up against an HOA? Is it always going to be some drawn out convoluted case, or do they go pretty quick? What is the win/loss rate?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Dealing with them on rando civil matters like "oh, we need to change these park rules" or something can be a 3-6 month affair.

How does something like that even end up in litigation? Is it good for a lawyer when something takes that long?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If you call the Bar for a referral, do they just give you a list of lawyers that can do what you need, or do they actually refer the best ones?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

I got a ticket tonight where a Highway officer got me going 70 in a 55. The only reason I sped up was so that I could switch lanes safely. There was a mass of cars to my left and I was in a merge lane that was going to end in about half mile. A big opening was ahead of the mass so I accelerated to 70, merged, and immediately let off the accelerator to match the speed of traffic.

Essentially, I had the option of cutting people off, braking on the interstate like an idiot and causing a dangerous situation, or speeding up a bit for a few seconds to merge safely. Is this a situation where I could go into court and plead my case for a lesser/no fine and removal of points or should I just eat it? I have no problems with taking responsibility for my actions but I genuinely feel that I made the best choice as a conscientious driver.

You need Sanford on your side.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/206043

Skip to 18:00

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it in the realm of possibility to charge someone for murder for their own death? I'm thinking along the lines of a person getting killed while committing a felony.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How is it decided which laws apply to members of the military stationed stateside? When I was in, if I got a ticket or an arrest for civilian offenses such as speeding or passing bad checks, I would have had to go to court just like anybody else and deal with the consequences in the county court (then go back to my unit and play double jeopardy with the UCMJ ). On the other hand, I could pop into the Dunkin' Donuts for some coffee (in uniform) carrying an M-16 and a live hand grenade on my belt and civilian laws regarding guns and wandering around in public places with high explosives didn't seem to apply.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

Speeding/bad checks: on base or off base?

M-16/grenade: on base of off base?

What base?

M-16: Condition?
Hand grenade: really?

Off base.

Off base.

Would it legally make a difference if it was a large infantry post such as Benning or Bragg where soldiers carrying weapons is more common than a smaller intel post like Meade or Deterich? Or are you specifically asking which state?

Condition of M16: Loaded? Safety on/off? I don't understand the question.

Hand grenade - no, not really. That was just an example. I haven't touched a live hand grenade since BASIC and we sure as hell didn't just wander off the firing range and into Dunkin Donuts with one dangling from our belt. I just used that as an example of how I could have walked in with an AT-4 across my back, a belt full of grenades and then set a claymore mine on the counter while I dug through my wallet to pay my bill and not have had any worries about being arrested.

I was just curious about how that was viewed legally. Is that something that is technically illegal, but not enforced?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

There is a lady in her 40s who lost her house a few years ago because she defaulted on her mortgage, then lost her kids because she is loving nuts, then became a pro-se lawyer (because she is loving nuts and no lawyer will have anything to do with her) and faxed 1000's of pages of her "exhibits" for filing to the local courthouse and anybody else involved that has a fax machine. If they don't have a fax machine, she scans the documents and blanket emails them. Her "exhibits" are crazy ramblings mostly accusing everybody in the system,her ex-lawyers, the mortgage company, the attorneys representing the mortgage company, a secretary for the mortgage company, two judges, two sheriffs departments, the court administrators, the case worker for CPS, and a shitload of other people who I don't know who they are, of illegally conspiring against her under the color of law and doing coke together. The stuff you would expect from maritime freeman gold fringe people, but she hasn't mentioned any of that.

She isn't at all secretive about her feelings of persecution and has made several webpages (with scans, screenshots, and audio recordings of all her phone calls, to the courthouse, the faxes she has sent, court papers, and her "exhibits") detailing the corruption against her. My involvement is that I am friends with one of her persecutors and that person is "not good with computers" so they forward all this poo poo to me for archiving.

To be honest, I look forward to these emails.

She spends all day, every day, every loving waking moment on this stuff and has been doing it for the better part of a decade. I'll give her a lot of credit as a person who is good at research, organizing, and documentation. Her "exhibits" have crossed the 6000 mark.

At one point in the original house forclosure, the power got shut off for non-payment. Her boyfriend went out and hooked it back up somehow. The power company figured it out pretty quick and sent a crew to disconnect it again. I don't know the whole story, but I guess there was a plainclothes cop along with them (for some reason not related to her) and, when they showed up to disconnect the power, she went off about some legal reason they were in the wrong and threatened to go inside and get her gun if they didn't get off her property. She got a disorderly conduct out of that deal. Ten or twenty of her exhibits are screenshots of facebook friends lists with arrows and notes showing the web of her enemies and how they all relate to each other in a conspiracy against her. I was included on this list because I have one of the top 20 most common last names in the US and so does somebody else who conspired against her. A guy on my friends list that I went to US Army Basic Training with 22 years ago is also on her list because his very common last name is the same last name as some lawyer or person from the mortgage company that has something to do with her losing her house a few years ago. Right now, she is suing her ex-husband to get back the child support (in treble) that she was ordered to pay (but hasn't actually paid any of it because her only job is being a pro-se lawyer), suing the local county court for treble payment on everything she has been ordered to pay in court costs and fines, and a bunch of other poo poo. She believes that the custody orders are "null and void, non-voidable" (what does that even mean?) because the judge has no legal standing in this jurisdiction because of a violation of some federal law she dug up.

I just put that out there to give an idea of how far from reality her mind is. I think it is a combination of her truly believing she has done nothing wrong and looking for a payday and justification. A year or two ago, the county told her to stop sending faxes. She complied, but still cranks out several emails per week. As I understand it, she is not allowed to file any lawsuits in the county. The last time there was a custody hearing (3-4 years ago), she brought in several milk crates full of folders and papers of her "exhibits" which the judge said they don't have time do deal with. Recently, her minor daughter told her that she was crazy and wanted nothing to do with her and would get a restraining order if MOTHER didn't quit bothering her. Then she followed it up with scans of the temporary custody order showing that FATHER has custody. MOTHER says that the custody order is "null and void and non-voidable" and has expired.

I'm scraping the dirt around the tip of the rabbit hole with what I have shared here, but this whole situation has made me wonder a few things:

Do temporary custody orders expire if there hasn't been a followup hearing?

How can the county prohibit her from filing a lawsuit? Is there some "frivolous lawsuit" clause?

Is there any remote possibility that treble damages even exist in this situation?

She has named her former attorneys as co-conspirators against her in her ramblings because they either didn't get the results she wanted or outright bailed out on her. Is it normal for a client to be so hosed up that the word gets around and no attorney will have anything to do with them? This is in a city of <200,000 people.

She hasn't physically threatened anybody (other than the power company situation a few years ago), but regularly tells the judge (via email) that she is filing a lawsuit against the county (for corruption, doing coke, kidnapping, trafficking her children,conspiracy, etc...) several times. The judge hasn't replied at all. Do the courts just ignore crazy poo poo like this? It is clear she has lost her mind, but the kids aren't in her custody and she hasn't made any statements that she is a physical danger to anybody.

This post has gotten quite long, but if anybody is interested, I can post her latest email to the judge with the identifying information redacted. It is a doozy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

vexatious litigantion

Thank you. I read the wikipedia article on this and it clears a lot up. I was told she wasn't allowed to file any lawsuits in this county and it didn't make sense to me that a person in the US could be completely denied access to the legal system. I'm guessing the reality is closer to this (which makes more sense):

Konstantin posted:

That, or they stop waiving the various fees charged when filling. Even SCOTUS says "gently caress you" to these guys by making them submit their cases in a very specific format that basically requires people to pay hundreds of dollars in printing costs. A drop in the bucket for a law firm, but payment up front tends to discourage frivolous pro se filings.

NancyPants posted:

This is not a legal question or issue. She's probably not, like, a danger to anyone (hopefully) but she's really mentally ill and this is more sad than anything.

It is a legal question in a broad sense. I'm not legally nor personally involved in any of this. As a third party observer, it made me curious about how the legal system works. Both in the details of how odd situations are dealt with, and how things work in reality. I would agree that she is mentally ill but it isn't my place as a complete stranger to step in and be the helpful psychologist that will fix her up. I'm just watching the events unfold and am curious about the legal perspective of what she is doing and where it will go from here.

blarzgh posted:

Thank you for your detailed answers to all of my questions.

1. In Family Law, temporary orders generally include a date...

2. Some States allow a Court to find that someone is a "Vexation Litigant."...

3. "Treble Damages"....

4. What you have described is very uncommon, but word of something like this would typically get around in any jurisdiction that was small enough.

5. The Judge cannot communicate ex parte with parties to a litigation, about the litigation. That said, I would just ignore her rear end, too.

1. I'd have to dig back through 100's of emails to find the scans of the custody order to be sure, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't an expiration date. The concept of an expiration date seemed odd to me when I imagine some (non-related and hypothetical) scenario where a child is quickly removed from an abusive neglective crackhead household on a temporary order and that order expires for whatever reason. I can't imagine the courts saying, "Oh, this expired, send the baby back to the crackhouse."

2. That's a term I was unfamiliar with. Thank you to you and Kalman for putting a name to it. That makes sense.

3. She seems to think that every single cent that 10-15 years of hearings, child support, losing her house, legal fees, you name it, is all owed to her in treble. I thought treble damages might have been something specific to security deposits and shady landlords (citation: Judge Judy).

4. Thanks. I didn't know if people like her were a dime a dozen or a rarity.

5. Is it plausible that the reality is that "temporary" custody is given to the father pending further action from crazy mother, but mother is all but forbidden to file any lawsuits so it just sits in temporary limbo until the children turn 18 and the court can wash their hands of it?

joat mon posted:

Sounds like the kind of person a large firm needs to file and respond to discovery requests.

If that is a joke, it is going over my head.

joat mon posted:

If there's an error in a judicial order, the error can be voidable or void. If it's voidable, that means it remains in effect but can be corrected upon request. If it's void, it was never legal and must be corrected when discovered. If a court (actually, not crazily) didn't have jurisdiction, such an order would most likely be void, and to be redundant, non-voidable.

That's a tangled web of the english language, but it answers the question of whether she was just making poo poo up or if there was some actual legal term she found and is using as her trump card to topple the system. I'll certainly give her credit for being a good researcher.

Watching that video and listening to recordings of her phone calls (that she recorded and publicly shared) show a lot of similarities.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I watched a :siren:Judge Judy:siren: episode where there was a father/daughter thing where the father got some money from his 17 year old daughter and Judy said it was theft because the daughter was a minor and can't enter into a contract and the money is hers and some poo poo like that. That's neither here nor there, but it it made me wonder about money and minors. If a 16 year old gets a job and the parent takes all of the paychecks, is that legally okay? What about a 4 year old that has a piggy bank with $100 in Christmas money received from relatives and the parent just helps themselves to that money? Is there some point where a minor's money legally belongs to the minor, or is any money they possess the rightful property of the parent until they are 18?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it normal for judges to receive emails like this? Yes, she seems mentally ill - that's pretty obvious. I'm just a spectator in all this and her mental health is not my concern. I'm just curious about what the legal system thinks about emails like this showing up in their inboxes on a weekly basis from the same person.

:rant: posted:

Subject: RE: YOUR PERSONAL LIABILITY FOR MY SONS AND DAUGHTERS CIRCUMSTANCES
To: (Judge),(About 20 other people who are directly or vaguely related to all this)

(JUDGE);

AT ALL TIMES YOU KNEW.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR (DAUGHTER) AND (SON) TO NOT BE HERE RIGHT NOW.

THEY THINK THAT THEY HAVE YOUR PERMISSION TO RUN ALL OVER TOWN AND DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE...

YOU ARE USING MY FAMILY FOR YOUR MONEY TRANSACTIONS.

(EX-HUSBAND) IS STILL MAD BECAUSE YOU MADE HIM SELL THAT JEEP IN 2006 AND HE STILL BEATS ME FOR IT THROUGH THESE KIDS..

AND YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO THAT MONEY THEN EITHER.

AND (???) HAD NO RIGHT.

YOU ARE A MAKER OF FALSE CLAIMS; OVER AND OVER AND OVER..

YOU KNEW THAT (???) HAD NO CLAIM TO OUR HOME.

YOU KNEW THAT (???) HAD NO RIGHT TO FILE.

YOU KNEW THAT (EX-HUSBAND) KIDNAPPED MY KIDS AND TRAFFICKED THEM FOR WELFARE.

YOU KNEW.

YOU HAD POWER TO ACT.

YOU CHOSE TO COVER IT UP AND PROTECT IT.

MY KIDS ARE HARMED AND THEY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

EVERY DAY IT GETS WORSE.

HE KEEPS THEM FROM ME AND YOU KNEW.

HE USES THEM.

YOU USE THEM.

YOU ARE LIABLE.

AT ALL TIMES YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO ACT; AT ALL TIMES YOU ARE ENGAGED IN USE OF MY KIDS IN VIOLENT CRIME.

(EX-HUSBAND) KEEPS MY KIDS FROM ME BASED ON HIS IMAGINARY IDEA THAT I AM CRAZY AND YOU HELP HIM BECAUSE YOU ARE A PREDATOR AND A THIEF AND YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO COVER UP AND PROTECT YOUR GROSS WILLFUL AND MALICIOUS ERROR.

YOU ARE LIABLE TO OUR FAMILY AND EVERY MINUTE YOU FAIL TO ACT DAMAGES ARE ACCUMULATING.

YOU HAVE REPEATEDLY BREACHED YOUR OBLIGATION TO FIDUCIARY DUTY ON THESE ACCOUNTS.

YOU ARE ABUSIVE AND IMMORAL..

AT LEAST (EX-HUSBAND) AND (HIS GIRLFRIEND) CAN'T HELP IT, THEY ARE VULNERABLE ADULTS.

IS THAT YOUR EXCUSE TOO?

YOU HAVE REASON TO KNOW, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, YOU DID KNOW.

AT ALL TIMES YOU HAVE THE POWER TO ACT AND REFUSE; YOU ARE A CHILD ABUSER AND A BABY SELLER.AND A SELF RIGHTEOUS THIEF AND THAT'S WHY I CALLED YOU A BITCH ON THE INTERNET AND IF YOU THOUGHT THAT YOU WEREN'T OR THAT I HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SUED ME FOR IT PROPER OR ATTEMPTED TO CHARGE ME WITH A CRIME

BUT YOU KNEW THAT I HAD EVERY RIGHT BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO OUR LIVES YOU HAVE NO RIGHT AND YOU ARE A VILE GREEDY WITCH WHO TRAFFICS FAMILIES WITH YOUR SIGNATURE AND I AM HOLDING YOU ACCOUNTABLE FOR THAT.

YOU HAVE NO DISCRETION TO MAKE THIS VENGEFUL MESS.

I WANT THE RESULTS OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION THIS IS CRIMINAL.*

YOU ARE A VICIOUS AND VENGEFUL WOMAN WHO IS COVERING UP FOR YOUR GROSS ERROR AND LONG TERM ABUSE OF THESE ACCOUNTS.
AND YOU WILL COME CORRECT
YOU ARE LIABLE TO ME
YOU ARE ENGAGED IN FINANCIAL CRIMES
YOU ARE GOING TO CORRECT IT AND YOU WILL COMPENSATE US AND PUT US BACK.

*That judge ordered her and ex-husband to have a mental evaluation as part of the custody hearing 3-4 years ago. Ex-husband did his and turned it in. She did hers, but whited out all the things she didn't agree with and wrote in her own evaluation and turned that in to the court. Ex-husband got custody.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

I think you know the answer to this question, lol.

Edit: I've just now found myself wondering how she settled on what sentiment to end with.

Honestly, I don't know the answer. I've never seen someone this mentally messed up outside of documentaries on Netflix, but I don't deal with hosed up people on a daily basis like the court does. I was seriously asking if stuff like this is business as usual in the legal system.

I can't read her mind, but I've read hundreds of her emails and faxes over the last few years similar to this one (they have been more desperate and angry as time goes on) and they all seem to be focused mainly on how she was wronged and the court system is corrupt, but there is always that side mention of her being financially compensated (in treble) for EVERYTHING. I've been watching it from sidelines for a few years and have wondered myself what her primary goal truly is.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Our office gets letters and pro se lawsuits and death threats that rival this level of crazy.

Do you read them and file them away for later use, or just add that person to your spamlist?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

So...what do you do when a trash can catches fire?

Suffocate it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

The answer to "can I be sued for [x]?" is always "yes" regardless of the value of [x].

What if you tried to sue your neighbor because he said, "looks like it is going to rain tomorrow", and it DID rain which ruined the outdoor wedding you had planned and it was his fault because he cursed you?

There have got to be things so ridiculous that crazy people come up with that you actually can't sue for, aren't there?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

The point is no because they are being literal and saying you can write anything down and file it as a complaint. There was a case in lawschool where a guy tried to sue the devil and the judge threw it out because of a lack of service of process iirc. But the guy was still able to sue.

I was just wondering if there were things so ridiculous that they would never even make it to the courtroom.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

That's the second time I've heard the phrase useless as tits on a boar hog this week.

Was your Bar license up for review?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dumb hypothetical...

If you see a bungee cord laying on shoulder of the road, is it considered theft if you pull over and take it?

What if it is something more valuable, like a lawnmower that fell out of the back of a pickup?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks joat mon! I kind of figured it was something like that, so that's why I asked about something more valuable. Even if you had no way of knowing who dropped a lawmower out of the back of the truck, a person could reasonably expect that the owner would come back looking for it when they figured out it was missing - I assume that sitting around and waiting would would be the "means of inquiry". How long do you sit there waiting alongside the road waiting to constitute an effort to find the owner?

No, I didn't steal/find any free lawnmowers. I just pass by a few abandoned bungee cords every day on the way to work and got to wondering what the legal perspective of me picking them up would be since I would be taking possession of property which does not belong to me.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Tonight, we join the Kearney Sheriff's Department as they stake out a pile of bungee cords on the shoulder of Interstate 80 waiting for opportunistic criminals to take the bait on COPS: Nebraksa

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Skunk, can you update us on bungeeghazi?

I passed by a nice 24" one on the way home but it was missing a hook. I doubled back a couple times to see if I could locate the hook and then decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Do noise nuisance laws even exist in industrial zones? Could Cletus the transmission repair guy get sued because he leaves his barking dog tied up all day and it disturbs the workers at the concrete mix plant across the street?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If a widower single marriage husband in Minnesota with no debt dies without a legal will, and his only two children, who are adults, and also live in MN are amicable with the division of his assets, are there any any potential pitfalls, or do things like this generally go pretty smoothly?

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 6, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

In this theoretical example how big is the estate and is there real estate.

The house needs a lot of repair and is probably worth less than 70K. There is maybe another 50K from life insurance, savings, etc. One sibling will take the house, then whatever cash is available from savings and insurance will be split evenly after covering death expenses. It is a lopsided split, but the sibling getting the short end of the stick (theoretically me) is fine with it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Two :airquote:hypothetical:airquote: situations:

Spacely Sprockets contracts Designer Dave to design a new type of sprocket to add to their product line. Designer Dave takes the easy way out and "designs" the sprocket by ripping of a design that is patented by Cogswell Cogs. Spacely says "looks great, thanks!" and starts manufacturing and selling them. Eventually, Cogswell takes notice and is not happy about it.

If Cogswell sued Spacely (which I assume they would, correct me if I am wrong), who would you expect to ultimately take it in the rear end for not checking patents, Spacely or Designer Dave?

Situation 2:

An employee voluntarily leaves a job. After their departure, it is noticed that they made a lot suspicious purchases on the company dime. After investigating, they determine that they were unauthorized purchases for personal gain. If the employer were to sue the former employee, would they have to sue for and prove each individual purchase was for personal gain, or would they sue for the lump sum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

nm posted:

Without a detailed description of how to get away with it, this is a worthless post.

LMGTFY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hob4Xj-po