Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I have a legal question related to Jury Duty if that's allowed?

I got summoned for Federal Grand Jury duty service. I answered the summons and went to court. I was selected for Grand Jury, which is fine, I don't have a compelling reason why I can't serve. The Grand Jury meets 3 days every month for 18 months.

Shortly after I got my Federal summons, the state of Connecticut summoned me to serve on a trial Jury. I used their website and requested to be excused given that I had a pending Federal Grand Jury summons. They declined my request stating that I hadn't attended Federal Jury Duty yet. I requested to be excused again after going to the Federal Grand Jury summons. They declined me again. I called them and explained my situation and requested to be excused again. They told me the Federal Jury Duty is separate from State Jury Duty, which I figured. I explained the commitment involved in the Federal Grand Jury service. On the phone they told me that I should be excused. Then they emailed me to say that they had denied my excuse.

All told I've requested to be excused 4 times so far and they've said no every single time. They can't select me for 2 Juries at the same time, can they? I plan on just answering the summons and telling the Judge and Lawyers that I've already been selected to a Jury. Do you think it is worthwhile to request to be excused again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think if they sent a cop to retrieve you from actively sitting on a federal grand jury in order to force you to show up for a state jury summons, that could actually be a lot of good fun.

The whole thing is straight out of The Trial.

I'm at the point now where I've fully bought in and I'm just going to show up to waste everyone's time.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This seems extremely excessive

Yeah, but there was some talk of pastry and coffee and it isn't that far from my house.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Sounds like you'll get to make some new friends. After my trial 6 or 7 of the jurors walked out of the courthouse all chattering and seemed like they were best buds and likely headed to a bar. And that was only 9 days or so.

That is the way I'm looking at it. I don't have a good excuse why I can't participate. I hope your trial went okay for you.