Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I thought a thread for bands like Taking Back Sunday, Say Anything, Brand New, Fall Out Boy, Four Year Strong - basically, every band covered by AbsolutePunk.net - was missing, especially since any hope of discussing any of these bands (well, maybe not Brand New) in the pop-punk thread, for example, is immediately crushed by a group of posters in Bridge 9 hoodies and mesh shorts. And yeah, I know scenecore is usually the moniker for bands such as blessthefall/every band on Rise Records, but let's go with my initial description.

To start things off - did anyone here Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory's solo songs on http://www.whatseatinggilbert.com/ ? Apparently, Max Bemis got a bit butt hurt about one of the songs (Thinkin' Bout Her), since he seems to think it's about his wife, who is also Chad's ex-gilfriend, Sherri Dupree of Eisley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Eight Is Legend posted:

especially since any hope of discussing any of these bands (well, maybe not Brand New) in the pop-punk thread, for example, is immediately crushed by a group of posters in Bridge 9 hoodies and mesh shorts.

Hahahahahaha, are you serious?

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 17, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is this the kind of thing you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5886Nb_psg

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

RunTo TheHills posted:

Hahahahahaha, are you serious?

Haha, I dunno if that exactly fits the description of the people in there, but from what I gathered in that thread they really do like hardcore, though.

But hey, gently caress that - :siren: NEW CIRCA SURVIVE :siren: ! Their new album, Blue Sky Noise, comes out on 4/20 :420:, and you can already listen to a song from it right here: http://www.circasurvive.com/

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Weedle posted:

God bless crabcore.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Weedle posted:

Attack Attack! suck balls, but yeah, bands of that genre would fit in this thread. An example of a good band in this vein could be I See Stars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teJV2esrZQU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i don't actually care i just wanted to post that

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I wouldn't mind seeing more of the newer songs of this genre... Reminds me of highschool.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eight Is Legend posted:

But hey, gently caress that - :siren: NEW CIRCA SURVIVE :siren: ! Their new album, Blue Sky Noise, comes out on 4/20 :420:, and you can already listen to a song from it right here: http://www.circasurvive.com/

I was in a Circa Survive kick last month, so I'm eagerly anticipating this album.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Weedle posted:

Holy poo poo, they named a song "Stick Stickly."

That's kind of terrible.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I guess this is the thread to ask why Taking Back Sunday got so terrible after Tell All Your Friends

Seriously what happened

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Red Red Blue posted:

I guess this is the thread to ask why Taking Back Sunday got so terrible after Tell All Your Friends

Seriously what happened

You graduated high school?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Red Red Blue posted:

Seriously what happened

Adam Lazzara.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eight Is Legend posted:

I thought a thread for bands like Taking Back Sunday, Say Anything, Brand New, Fall Out Boy, Four Year Strong - basically, every band covered by AbsolutePunk.net - was missing, especially since any hope of discussing any of these bands (well, maybe not Brand New) in the pop-punk thread, for example, is immediately crushed by a group of posters in Bridge 9 hoodies and mesh shorts. And yeah, I know scenecore is usually the moniker for bands such as blessthefall/every band on Rise Records, but let's go with my initial description.

To start things off - did anyone here Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory's solo songs on http://www.whatseatinggilbert.com/ ? Apparently, Max Bemis got a bit butt hurt about one of the songs (Thinkin' Bout Her), since he seems to think it's about his wife, who is also Chad's ex-gilfriend, Sherri Dupree of Eisley.

This just in I'm the only one in the punk thread that consistently posts about pop-punk and I'd still step on your nuts for talking about lovely bands.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Dickeye posted:

This just in I'm the only one in the punk thread that consistently posts about pop-punk

Ahem.

I've got a mad soft spot for Set Your Goals, but I definitely know they suck. Can I hang out here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm hella excited about the new Circa Survive, and I get to see their opening date with Coheed (who also has a new album out the same month). That's going to be a kickass show.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Red Red Blue posted:

Seriously what happened

Meh, I don't get all the hate for Taking Back Sunday's later records, probably because the first I listened to was Where You Want to Be. And Sink Into Me from their newest is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnltq4scQ0

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Thrice and Manchester Orchestra are going on tour together.

quote:

Los Angeles, CA – February 18, 2010 – Orange County-based quartet Thrice are preparing to hit the road for three weeks this Spring on a co-headlining trek with Manchester Orchestra. The month-long tour supports Thrice’s recent album Beggars (09/09, Vagrant) and will commence with two nights in Manchester Orchestra’s hometown of Atlanta, GA before wrapping through the country. The tour concludes in Albuquerque, NM on May 9, with O’Brother supporting both bands on all dates. Thrice continues to work with Invisible Children, the charity working to raise awareness about the war in northern Uganda, and will have advocates out on the road this Spring.

Vocalist Dustin Kensrue shares his excitement about the upcoming trek by saying, “We've only gotten to hang out [with Manchester Orchestra] in passing, so we're excited to get out on the road with them. They're a great band and one of the few out there that I feel an affinity with in more ways than one.”

Thrice’s sixth and latest studio album, Beggars, is one of their most favorably reviewed records yet and earned them the #5 spot on Alternative Press’ “Best Albums of 2009” list. The band is also known to consistently deliver a great live show, and OC Weekly named their Nov 25 date at House of Blues Anaheim in their “Top 10 Orange County Concerts of 2009.” Additionally, the OC Music Awards nominated Thrice for Best Album, Best Alternative, and Best Rock. Just as with their ambitious Vagrant debut The Alchemy Index, Thrice recorded Beggars in their own studio in Orange County, while guitarist Teppei Teranishi produced the effort. Thrice spent the latter half of 2009 on select dates of the Vans Warped Tour, followed by a cross-country tour of US last November.
Thrice is Dustin Kensrue - vocals/guitar, Teppei Teranishi – guitar/piano, Edward Breckenridge – bass, and Riley Breckenridge – drums.

Thrice on tour:
Apr 14 – Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
Apr 15 – Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
Apr 16 – New Orleans, LA @ The Howlin Wolf
Apr 17 – Oxford, MS @ The Lyric Oxford
Apr 18 – Birmingham, AL @ WorkPlay Theatre
Apr 20 – Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
Apr 21 – Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart’s
Apr 22 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
Apr 23 – St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant
Apr 24 – Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
Apr 25 – Des Moines, IA @ People’s Court
Apr 27 – Vermillion, SD @ Eagle’s Club Room
Apr 29 – Billings, MT @ The Railyard
May 1 – Eugene, OR @ McDonald Theater
May 3 – Reno, NV @ Knitting Factory
May 4 – Santa Cruz, CA @ The Catalyst
May 7 – Las Vegas, NV @ House of Blues
May 9 – Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine Theatre
http://www.thrice.net
http://www.vagrant.com
http://www.myspace.com/thrice
http://www.twitter.com/officialthrice

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Weedle posted:

oh hey, cool, a working facebook hacker

thanks, tumbleweedwizard

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

What the gently caress no detroit date. I don't want to drive to loving cleveland. ugh.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eight Is Legend posted:

Brand New brings so many bands together.

It seems like if you tour with Brand New then you automatically tour with a support act they once had. Which is cool, because outside of Pistolita they've had some tremendous opening bands.

I'm still rocking Colour Revolt (get their EP, it loving rules) after seeing them almost three years ago with Brand New.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 19, 2010

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I'm still disappointed because I didn't get to see Brand New on their last tour, I should have just sucked it up and taken the 3rd floor seats!

Also I like this thread and will post in it often :)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I work next Friday.

Manchester Orchestra are playing here next Friday.

gently caress.

edit: the new The Wonder Years disk, The Upsides is the best pop-punk album ever, and I'm very confident in saying that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

deadwing posted:

w The Wonder Years disk, The Upsides is the best pop-punk album ever, and I'm very confident in saying that.

Somebody's never listened to Love Songs for the Retarded or My Brain Hurts

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dickeye posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Scenecore Megathread - for the skinny, straight haired kid in all of us

I'm referring to pop-punk in a "scene" sense rather than an "actual" pop-punk sense, if you will. much like how people in the emo thread'll get their panties in a bunch about how people will call bands like MCR "emo."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Except that there's already a pop-punk scene that isn't lovely, maybe classify music as what it is instead of what it appears to be?

e: And by "scene" I mean a dedicated community large enough to warrant a yearly fest in Baltimore that gets a bigger crowd every time

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 20, 2010

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Except that there's already a pop-punk scene that isn't lovely, maybe classify music as what it is instead of what it appears to be?

e: And by "scene" I mean a dedicated community large enough to warrant a yearly fest in Baltimore that gets a bigger crowd every time

I didn't post this in the punk thread, and am not retarded enough to post it in the punk thread because I know the differences between the two genres, something you seem to not be able to grasp and OH GOD MY GENRE LABELS shut the gently caress up

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Dickeye posted:

The Wonder Years are pop-punk, but I know that people in the punk thread are not gonna discuss it, so any talk of their new record will fit perfectly here.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right

deadwing posted:

edit: the new The Wonder Years disk, The Upsides is the best pop-punk album ever, and I'm very confident in saying that.

dickeye posted:

Or Hit the Lights' This is a Stick-Up, Don't Make it a Murder.

Also, less thread-disputing (luckily it hasn't denigrated to making GBS threads [much]...yet) and more discussion.

Topics: Midtown, and why they were one of the best bands of their time. Even their last, Forget What You Know, is an amazing album.

It's funny how many bands rip off Midtown these days, and how so many kids are like "Gabe from Cobra Starship used to be in a different band?" There was a time when Midtown was poised to be as big as Fall Out Boy or My Chem ended up being; poo poo, they even were on the opening credits of Real World vs. Road Rules: Battle of the Sexes.

I would give up my fertility (not necessarily cut off my nuts, but definitely get a vasectomy) to see one more Midtown show.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

OdorousTobacco posted:

I like Skip School, Start Fights better. :colbert:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The Burnout 3 soundtrack: best sampler for this kind of music, or greatest sampler?

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Moe_Rahn posted:

The Burnout 3 soundtrack: best sampler for this kind of music, or greatest sampler?

The first time I played that game, I was blown away. I was like "This is the coolest racing game I've ever played, with so many of my favorite artists on the soundtrack."

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Just going down that list I can count no less than seven bands that Burnout 3 was my first exposure to, that I now love. Unfortunately while the games kept getting better the soundtracks got worse (although Burnout Paradise, the most recent one, was responsible for getting me into Brand New, which is just a loving weird thing to happen).

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

Just going down that list I can count no less than seven bands that Burnout 3 was my first exposure to, that I now love. Unfortunately while the games kept getting better the soundtracks got worse (although Burnout Paradise, the most recent one, was responsible for getting me into Brand New, which is just a loving weird thing to happen).

I remember turning on the game for the first time, and the second track that it played was "The Archers Bows are Broken." I'm pretty sure I shouted something at my TV and turned it up much louder than typical game-playing volume. :v:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

Hahaha, gently caress yeah. That soundtrack was my gateway to soooo many bands. Plus, it has the second best Fall Out Boy song ever, and I will fight you if you disagree :colbert: .

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

Also, less thread-disputing (luckily it hasn't denigrated to making GBS threads [much]...yet) and more discussion.

Topics: Midtown, and why they were one of the best bands of their time. Even their last, Forget What You Know, is an amazing album.

It's funny how many bands rip off Midtown these days, and how so many kids are like "Gabe from Cobra Starship used to be in a different band?" There was a time when Midtown was poised to be as big as Fall Out Boy or My Chem ended up being; poo poo, they even were on the opening credits of Real World vs. Road Rules: Battle of the Sexes.

I would give up my fertility (not necessarily cut off my nuts, but definitely get a vasectomy) to see one more Midtown show.

I've actually been meaning to pick up Midtown's records, but the way Gabe's been acting lately has been making it hard for me. I can't fault him for having success, but at what cost?

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
A more appropriate thread title would have been "The Scene Thread - Let all the making GBS threads commence in one place" - because that's probably what this will turn into. That being said, I loving love all of this music and listen to it more than anything else, so lets discuss!

I agree with everything! "Tell All Your Friends" ruled so hard, I don't think I'll be able to see Manchester Orchestra (fuckin' really wanna see them..), and The Wonder Years album rules balls.

Also, I've been listening to The Swellers a lot lately. Their album is so darn catchy! Anyone into them?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beatladdius posted:

Also, I've been listening to The Swellers a lot lately. Their album is so darn catchy! Anyone into them?

I've been trying to get into Ups and Downsizing for the past couple months, but it just hasn't clicked with me yet.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

I've actually been meaning to pick up Midtown's records, but the way Gabe's been acting lately has been making it hard for me. I can't fault him for having success, but at what cost?

I try to think of it as "He was writing anthems for 15-year-olds 10 years ago, now he's doing it to a different (and larger) set of 15-year-olds." It's what helps me sleep.

Midtown was also much more of a creative amalgamation than Cobra is. It's definitely worth it if you can get past the current Gabe--a grown man who turned into a club kid at age 30.

On a related note: I'd always heard during the Midtown days that Gabe was a self-centered prick. I went to a Cobra show in December 06 (Gabe played 2 Midtown songs acoustic, quite possibly the last time I'll ever get to see live Midtown) and I was wearing my Midtown shirt in support. After the show, he gave me a big hug and was so gracious to still be listening and supporting him.

Then again, that was before Cobra blew up and was on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I actually don't know whether this should be posted in the metalcore thread or not, but gently caress it, someone here is bound to enjoy it.

The Bled's new record "Heat Fetish" is streaming on MySpace, and it absolutely rips: http://www.myspace.com/thebled

I have never listened to any of their previous stuff, but last.fm keeps recommending them to me - I can hear why now, this loving rocks.

• Locked thread