Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

That drat Satyr posted:

The Institute - About an ARG that took place in mid-California, and the people involved.

This was amazing. I've been thinking of making a GBS post about it, actually. I was living in SF at the time and never heard about this. I am very sad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

appleskates posted:

I watched The Internet's Own Boy, tonight, the doc about Aaron Swartz. It was really inspirational and yet depressing. He was such a visionary, he actually wanted to do the cliched "make the world a better place," but it was reasonable, and achievable. loving depressing what the Federal Courts were trying to do. Anyway, it was good.

This sound interesting. Where can I watch it?

E: never mind, I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRTb4RXkPo

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 5, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been watching The Story of Film on Netflix. It's the most in depth, well researched, and well written movie history I've ever seen.

E: One thing that is really great about this is the shots that were done just for the documentary. Street shots. Shots of people. Just gorgeous.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's wrong with him? I haven't had a problem.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got used to his voice fairly quickly once I realized his accent wasn't typical English and he was doing his best to enunciate so that he would be understood. And complaining about the beautiful static shots during narration makes me think that you don't really enjoy cinematography and shouldn't be watching in the first place. Or you just decided you didn't like the film and went on a hate rampage. ;)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Imposter was great. If only for how completely hosed up it gets as it progresses. It's so whack I considered whether it was a work of fiction made to look like a documentary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Goobish posted:

Jesus you guys weren't kidding. I usually don't like crime related docs, but I haven't had my mind blown like that in a long time. About an hour in is when poo poo really gets unbelievable. Fuuuuuck.

The way the guy turns into super-troll by the end was actually pretty funny.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E: nevermind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EVIL Gibson posted:

I just saw this and have to confirm it's an awesome time.

Yeah, great flick. Inspiring and WTF at the same time.

E: Apparently, the race is happening right now: https://twitter.com/hashtag/BM100?src=hash

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

precision posted:

they often put dogs through hell.

What do they do to the doggies? :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched The Red Pill.

Wasn't what I expected at all. Didn't realize there was a schism between reddit red pill people and the ones who live in reality.

I'd recommend watching, especially if you are a feminist as the film is made by one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mahoning posted:

I had never heard of it until just now and watched the trailer. Looks very interesting. Is it streaming anywhere?

I think it is on Netflix and Hulu.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought Voyeur was interesting.

Wormwood I couldn't get through the first episode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched that flat earther doc. "Let's do an experiment to prove the earth is flat. Hmm, this experiment proves it is a globe. Better try something else. Hmm...this one also proves the earth is a globe. I think the problem is we aren't doing the right experiments."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth Table posted:

Went to a screening last night of Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project at the Metrograph in NYC. In summary, a left-wing activist from Philadelphia recorded recorded 24/7 television, mostly news, from 1979 till her death in 2012. Her tapes ended up with the internet archived and are being uploaded and made both viewable and searchable.

Honestly, a fantastic documentary about our relationship with media and how news shapes public opinion. Lots of fascinating archival footage. Marion Stokes was way ahead of her time. Highly recommended if and when it's available VOD or on a streaming platform.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=recorder+the+marion+stokes+project

The Oklahoma city bombing and 9/11 would be interesting because of how the news agencies reported certain things initially and then stopped talking about them at all. There isn't a lot of footage of this stuff, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is The Inventor the Theranos movie you are talking about?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched "Dumb, the story of Big Brother Magazine."

It was excellent. I wish I had read it when it was new. I kept thinking that Hunter S. Thompson would have loved it. They never call it gonzo journalism, but that is basically what it was.

I also watched the doc about the drug scandals in Massachusetts. I forget the name. It was pretty good, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Been watching the Epstein thing. :barf:

This is absolutely horrific.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

We Know Catheters posted:

I just watched Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren & Stimpy Story and it was really good. It does go into the horrible things John K. has done and the documentary makers do confront him about it.

Where did you watch this? I don't see it on streaming anywhere. Maybe i'm just missing it or something?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone recommend a documentary on christianity and the bible? I don't mean BS that actually believes all that poo poo. I mean something that deep dives into how the Romans compiled a ton of stories and myths and made the new testament and the actual truth of it's genesis (no pun intended) and all that. I remember something I saw about how the catholic church is just the continuation of the roman empire and I'm curious about how that goes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MeinPanzer posted:

This is the best out there:

https://www.pbs.org/video/jesus-christ-first-christians-part-one-uosmze/

It's over twenty years old by now, but it's still excellent. It basically explores the history of Christianity from a non-religious perspective, beginning with the movement Jesus started and covering up until the time when it became the official religion of the Roman empire. As an ancient historian, I can attest that it's very even-handed in its discussion of the evidence.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just watched The Ghost of Peter Sellers. Pretty fascinating story of the disaster that was the film Ghost in the Noonday Sun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alan_Shore posted:

One more episode to go on the Elisa Lam/Cecil Hotel documentary and it's dogshit. Nearly 4 hours for something that should have been an hour. They just spent 5 minutes talking about a death metal musician! loving embarrassing

We watched the first episode and never went back. So much filler. It looks like it could be interesting if it was edited better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alan_Shore posted:

But all the Cecil stuff is completely unrelated to the case. Utterly unimportant.

Oh man it's the same director? What a shame, it's not even in the same league. I mean the English couple... what the gently caress. Wasting my drat time

Yeah. "we got there after everything happened and have nothing to do with anything." Uhhhhh.

Web sleuth.

Who the gently caress greenlighted this?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Untold: Crimes and Penalties on Netflix is completely bonkers and more entertaining than anything I've seen in a while.

Brief rundown: mob boss buys minor league hockey team, gives it to 17 year old son to run. He turns it into a combination of Slap Shot and WWE.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is a few years old but Drunk, Stone, Briliant, Dead, the story of National Lampoon showed up in my Prime feed so I watched it. I was not aware just how influential National Lampoon was. It's basically a comedy line of demarcation between the current and the past. It's worth watching if you don't already know all about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There should be a thread to gripe about it being on disney where it 100% does not belong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop recently and it's kind of a mind gently caress. I don't think it was an elaborate ruse but ... it could be?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched that Jimmy Savile thing on Netflix. I had heard his name over the years but having grown up in the US it was just a name. But yeesh. As soon as it started my reaction was "I bet he's a kiddie diddler."

I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance most of the UK felt when his story finally came out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is no best, only what interests you. Netflix has leaned hard into overly long docuseries. 1 hours worth of content spread over 4 hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Our Father on Netflix.

Yuck.

What a loving creepoid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched it, too. It's just a total mind gently caress to go through. I get the police trying to keep everyone alive. That's what they should be doing. But then the gently caress-up with the arrest and then the last bit which isn't really explained. Based on the pics I am guessing they rammed into them to get the car to stop or something. Still confused what happened. I get why they don't have video but it was still confusing.

The worst part, to me, is the reporter who tells the crazy dude in the back seat that he should hold the gun to the girls head. Just disgusting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried watching The Last Tourist on Hulu. It's terrible. Very biased and not really a documentary at all. Stay away.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That documentary looks cool. Another pointless streaming service is not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianRx posted:

My sister highly recommended Girl In the Picture but being somewhat familiar with the details I'm hesitant to watch it. If anyone has seen it, does it add anything of substance to the story or is it a litany of horrible things happening to the same person?

I wasn't familiar with the story and it was pretty hosed up. However, unlike many stories of its like, it has a relatively happy ending. I mean as happy an ending as that sort of story can have.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, that's fair. It also, iirc, is only one episode as opposed to 6 drawn out wastes of time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been watching the Bill Cosby rape documentary on Amazon/Showtime. Dude sure liked raping.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just watched the gamestop thing. It was interesting. It's only about 2 hours if you are curious about the whole saga.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

abelwingnut posted:

there's a documentary on gamestop? i didn't know there was a reason for a documentary on gamestop. i'll have to check this out.

To be clear, it's on Netflix and it's about the GME stock pump via reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ken Burns: Capitalism. His final film.