Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Jook posted:

Yeah.. I'm already looking to destroy some tupperware and use up even more duct tape.

Building diffusers is fun, I must have tried at least 8 different designs looking for that perfect light (still haven't found it). I used a tupperware diffuser a while back, had good results with it (lined with aluminum foil and, of course, plenty of duct tape).

Dof way too thin, I know, but I was going for maximum resolution (larger aperture = less diffraction) and I'd say it was worth it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The 70-200 + one or two tubes is a popular combo for larger flying subjects (e.g. damselflies). For smaller ones, BetterLekNextTime is right, the 50 is your best bet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Tambaloneus posted:

I have the 100mm 2.8 non IS non L version of that lens and I don't think I've ever gotten a photo anywhere near as kickass as those. I need to practice more I think. Maybe a tripod will help. And, well, being less retarded about what settings I use.

Don't worry about the glass and focus on the light: how you create it and how you control it.

One of these was taken with a 20 year old Minolta 50/1.7, the other with a high-end Zeiss 135/1.8. Guess which is which!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for focus stacking software for macro work? I don't have (and won't buy) Photoshop. Helicon Focus looks neat, and it's only $30, but I don't know what else is out there.

I tried CombineZM and Zerene Stacker. I shoot by hand so they didn't produce any usable results, but they got (surprisingly) close. I imagine they'd be great for tripod work.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Hmmm. I'm hoping to shoot by hand as well for insects. I'm a total macro novice, so I'm guessing it's not easy to get a tripod with a macro rail set up to glide in on an insect. I'll definitely try a demo before I buy any software to see if it works for handheld shots.

If you're starting out, I'd say forget stacking, at least when chasing bugs outdoors. At high magnifications getting one shot in focus isn't particularly easy, so imagine getting multiple shots - with minimal delay and sway - while moving ever so slightly in one direction to capture different areas of the subject.

My advice: mess around in broad daylight at magnifications up to 1:1. That'll give you perfect conditions to practice good hand-holding discipline, learn about your subjects' moving patterns and reactions to your approach, curse at the compromise between sharpness and depth of field (aka diffraction), etc.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a Sigma APO 70-300mm Macro lens. Where can I read more about what happens when I move the button from normal to macro mode? I can't find the manual and everywhere I look all I get are reviews and advertisements.

The switch should reduce the minimum working distance. In other words, at longer focal lengths you'll be able to get closer to your subjects. A quick search says 150cm in normal mode, 95cm in "macro" mode. Don't know if those are working distances (end of the lens to subject) or 'sensor-to-subject' distances, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

rear end is my canvas posted:

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/03/what-in-the-insane-posed-ant-photography.php

I want to wave to my little friends too :( Time to bust out my dumbest purchase ever, my x10 up close lens for my 50mm.

Ants on the foreground are perfectly in focus, ants on the back are out of focus and yet the trees way, way far away are only slightly blurred... That's one hell of a DoF.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

rear end is my canvas posted:

I am guessing he is stacking and compositing the good poses from shot to shot. The last one pushes it but rocks anyway.

Stacking implies multiple shots with one single composition. Here, the foregrounds are disconnected from the backgrounds, like one is simply pasted on top of the other.

I don't have a problem with heavily manipulated images, as long as it's honest.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

You guys weren't kidding, macro is hard.

Yeah, but very rewarding too.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rot posted:

OK folks, I need some help here.

Try the Critterquest thread, they're a very knowledgeable bunch.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rovasti posted:

Some ice formations I came across when I was ice fishing

Jääkiteitä by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Nice! The gradient of cool colors works really well. Have anything with higher magnification?

seravid fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 18, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Pitnicker posted:

Hey all,

I'm primarily a macro photographer and am looking at a major upgrade recently.

Regarding your choice of system, since you want simple and portable I think Canon with their MP-E is hard to beat. No need to mess around with tubes or close-up lenses, but keep in mind it won't focus at infinity (or anything less than 1:1).

Regarding the lighting system, twin flashes is definitely the way to go if tupperware/coke can/aluminum foil isn't an option. You should still diffuse them, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

As a Minolta (now Sony) shooter I'm kind of looking in from the outside vis-à-vis brand wars, but every system should give you the right tools (with the occasional trade-off) for macro. And there's always Tamron and Sigma.

That said, I'm confused. You were looking at twin flashes but now you say you'll be shooting butterflies? How high will you go regarding magnification? Because if you want to capture the whole body, a twin flash isn't your best bet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Pitnicker posted:

If it's got six legs and an exoskeleton, I shoot it :) I also make exceptions for spiders and lizards. I really prefer shooting in natural light, so I'm mostly looking for a versatile flash system to supplement normal sunlight. The Nikon system I was looking at is similar to the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash, only wireless. Why wouldn't a dual flash be ideal? From what I've read, I thought this dual flash form factor was very well received among macro photographers? What sort of flash would you recommend?

The Nikon system appeals to me because it's wireless, attaches to the front of the lens, and would enable me to go from zero to shooting faster. When it comes to skittish critters on the field, time is of the essence. I also do a lot of landscape so I'm looking for a setup that doesn't take too much time to swap out. Finally, whatever I get is going to be going backpacking and camping so size, weight, and durability are all important considerations.

If the sun is going to be your main source of light we're talking 1:1 or less, right? At higher magnifications natural light won't do you any good, it's pretty much all flash.

You're right when you say twin flashes are well regarded, but that's up close where they pack a punch and you have full control in how you light the scene, e.g. one flash close to the left, one up high for fill-in. At longer working distances - which are preferable with easily frightened subjects like butterflies and lizards - they won't be as effective (especially with diffusers) and unless you have them mounted on long clumsy arms that get stuck everywhere, all the light will be coming roughly from the front, in which case a well-diffused cobra will be both cheaper and more efficient.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Pitnicker posted:

stuff

Ring flash: never used one and from what I've read/seen I don't think I'd buy one. Light all around means no shadows which results in flat images. Sure, you can disable parts of it but then what's the point if you're always only using half the ring? It's a very compact way to light a subject, I'll give it that.

100mm and 2:1 is actually great for a twin flash. You'll be close enough to make the most of it. A cabled and well-diffused cobra also works nicely. Check Danoss' rig a page back (near the bottom), that's the general setup for cobra-based macro shooting. I'm using something similar with decent results:

Granted, it's not the most practical solution but my diffuser comes on and off easily so I can use the flash for other stuff if needed. A twin flash on the other hand...

Pitnicker posted:

Thanks for all your help. There are a lot of great macro photographers in this thread!

You're welcome. I was hoping more people would chime in to offer different perspectives, but I guess you're stuck with me.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

Some utterly fantastic shots in this thread!.

I'm looking into getting a decent Macro lense for my Sony A300 (I know, not one of the Big Two but it was a good deal). After trying a local camera shop, where the guy didn't give me any coherent advice, I thought i'd ask you guys. Looking for a something in the price rage of up to £300, mainly for bug/flower shooting or any other small surface with an interesting texture. I'm distinctly amatuer so anything that easy to use is preferable, just wondering if anybody has experience with a Macro lense for the body or anything thats compatable with it.

Check if your local shops have a Minolta 100/2.8 laying around, it's an amazing piece of glass. There are three versions: original (also called 'old'), RS (restyled) and D (digital). Aim for the D but you'll do great with the RS too (I had one). Personally I'd avoid the old version (unless it's a killer deal), the focus ring is too narrow for my taste.

100mm does require some skill and steady hands but it gives you a narrower background and a larger working distance (16cm with the Minolta!). If you want to play it safe, look for a 50mm. Great for flowers but you might frighten some critters as you close in. The Minolta 50/2.8 is super sharp and also comes in three flavors.

Careful with Minolta lenses, though, as some sellers seriously overprice them. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy the Sony ones. Optically they're the same, it's just a rebrand.

Those are my top choices but if none of them work out, check back and we'll talk Tamron and Sigma.

seravid fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 21, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

Thanks a lot for the replies, i've been having a nosey around online and it seems the 100m lenses are all too expensive for me to justify them, however the 90mm lenses like the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 and also the 50mm lenses are within my price range, although I cant find any Minolta that arent vastly inflated. Would the Tamron/Sigma/Sony 90mm/50mm ones be sufficant, or is there a particular brand I want to avoid?

As I said, you can't go wrong with either Sony or Minolta, but price might be a issue.

The Tamron 90/2.8 is probably the most popular macro lens in the ~100mm range, so in case you're not bothered by the 11cm working distance (deal-breaker for me, but maybe not for you) go right ahead, it's a great lens.
The Sigma 105/2.8 is good too, but a tad inferior (optically) to the Tamron, IIRC. You probably wouldn't notice the difference in real life, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The second one looks great but it could use a little work in post.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Keep in mind the Tamron has the shortest working distance of the usual 90/100mm macro lenses, while the Minolta/Sony has one of the longest (maybe the longest?). Very useful when shooting live subjects at high magnification.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What is the cheapest way to do macro? I see the reverse ring, etc... Currently I have a 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a 70-200L on the way. Any of these lenses good when reversed?

The reversed 50 is a classic for cheap macro.

The 70-200 with some tubes or a close-up lens should work very nicely for larger subjects like dragonflies and butterflies.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

e: ^^^^^^ 'sup :hfive:

Fly butt haters ITT

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

ah forget it posted:

That's great, I totally didn't notice the spider at first!

"That fly is way out of focus... wait are those eyes? Ah, it's spider peeking over something... Ooooh!"

Crab spiders know their camouflage

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Fly butts. That spider vs fly one is fantastic ... showdown, and you can bet who is going to lose.

:black101:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What kind of flash are you going to use? A cobra on top of a NEX sounds pretty awkward.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a NEX?

What about the official flash? Nice and small (and expensive), at modest magnifications - say 1:1 or less - and with a half-decent diffuser it should work well enough.

e:

Abugadu posted:

My friend recently opened his website where he does macro photo/video of nudibranchs and other tiny marine life from the Philippines and Guam, worth a look I promise :)

http://www.macronesia.net/

This is very cool, thanks for sharing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

I tried to clean it with a 20% rubbing alcohol solution and it still had pollen and crap on it. I need to keep trying more stuff I guess.

Critters are great at keeping themselves clean. You know, when they're alive :colbert:

(excuse the terrible light; these pics are oooooooold)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Officer I never seen that lady before in my life. I was nowhere near the place where she got whacked!

Bad move lying to the coppers (that fly's a dude :ssh:)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Officer I swears I thought he was a lady, and was over a day old!

I guess I'm obviously more into the photography than the etymology. How can you tell it's a male?

I'm no etymologist myself, it's just easy to tell with some flies.

Male:

Female:

Don't know exactly how many species follow this pattern (I know fruit flies don't, they both have eyes far apart).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Crab spiders (Thomisidae) don't use webs to hunt; they prefer the manly art of camouflaged ambush. A swift venom injection and even big game like that bumblebee would turn into internal soup.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

.1mm to 40mm is a crazy, crazy range. How much of the frame do you want to fill when shooting those .1mm parts?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

the_lion posted:

Go with a 3 set of extension rings with no auto focus/electrical contacts. It will be cheaper probably.

Yeah, you don't wanna do that. Not A Vet Yet is just starting up, a low-end DSLR like the 550D and a manual set of tubes would just be cruel. For a frustration-free (kind of) newbie experience a big and bright viewfinder is a must; cameras like the 550D are out and so are tubes that require you to manually set the aperture.

Also desirable: not getting too close to the subject; while you still don't have a firm grasp on the critters' behavior you better stay away from them. That means a dedicated macro lens around 100mm. Longer would be nice but you'd have severe camera shake to deal with.
The Tamron 90/2.8 is the most popular choice among +/- 100m lenses, but it has a pretty short working distance. Still better than close-up lenses or tubes, though.

I'm not talking about best quality or best magnification or best bang for the buck here, I'm talking about making the first steps into macro as painless as possible, which I think is more important; doesn't matter if you bought all your gear for 15 bucks or if your microscope duct-taped to a camera can go up to 20:1 if you don't actually enjoy going out and shooting critters. Now, if you're on a tight budget but still want to give this a shot then sure, go with an inverted 50 with some tubes and a close-up on top, it should be good for character building if nothing else. Otherwise, get the nicer toys.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Never used it, but it looks good. Internal focus is nice and the 10cm working distance is very surprising considering its focal length.
For general use, the lack of focus limiter could be annoying, especially since the AF isn't ultrasonic. If that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Un chien andalou posted:

Been looking at this lens for a while:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Maxxum-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-MA06999003573J?r=FE

but i'm wondering if it's worth it relative to the sony version (which is like 3x the price). Will I regret the purchase?

Edit: pretty picture

There are three versions of the Minolta 100/2.8; due to its age, I wouldn't recommend the first one (unless you can get a great deal), but the one you're looking at is the second - called RS (ReStyled) - and it's a fantastic lens. The third version and the Sony are pretty much identical.

Anyway, the RS is great and at 275$ it's a no-brainer (assuming it's in decent condition). It's very sharp, it's solidly built and you get one of the longest - if not the longest - working distance at this focal length. Compared to the Sony, optically, you only lose on the coating; definitely not worth 3x the price. The RS does have a tiny focus ring but at high magnifications you're moving the entire thing to focus, so it's not a big deal.

If you're "serious" about macro, buy it. Buy it right now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Un chien andalou posted:

Thank you. I have been wanting it for a while, and already have extension tubes and a dcr-250, it will be nice to use it all together!

Edit: Ordered!

Nice. You'll be getting around 4:1 magnification.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Assuming everything's in good condition, a full set of tubes + 100 Macro + Raynox 250 works perfectly fine. I used exactly that (no ring flash, though) for the fly's picture a few posts up.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

4:1 at f/14

Jimlad posted:

Naive photography newbie here looking into getting into macro stuff.

If you can afford full-frame I'd say go for it; the FF can act like a crop camera if need be but the reverse isn't true.
Keep in mind you'll need the camera and lens but also a decent flash and multiple accessories... that's a lot of stuff, a lot of weight and a lot of money. If you know someone with this kind of setup, maybe try it for a couple of days to make sure this is something you really want to pursue.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Manual aperture is a big deal beyond 1:1. Having the lens stepped-down the whole time will make for a very dim experience.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Manual apertures (like a preset aperture) is a very different thing from manually controller the aperture. Old nikon lenses should stay wide open until you shoot.
Oh. Well, shows what I know about vintage Nikon gear. Carry on :tipshat:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, that's really neat. Shame mine are currently hibernating, I wanna try it.

Re. light: the first one is great (bokeh is pretty distracting :nitpickingasshole:) but the other two are grey and lifeless. High ISO is cool and all, but you really pay the price for it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Getting both eyes sharp was a question of focus here, not depth of field. Notice the head and part of the body are sharp; back the camera away a little and both eyes would have been within the DoF.

f/32 is crazy, though. The original image at 100% must look like soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Got bored and started shooting stuff I have sitting around.

Neat. Would you mind specifying what sort of stuff you shot?

Jadz posted:

I took about a billion pictures of this red ant before I got one where the depth of field was in just the right spot

Should have taken a couple more because this one isn't in the right spot either :cheeky:

General advice: up the shutter speed to avoid motion blur and step down the aperture to increase DoF. Use (diffused) flash liberally if you don't think there's enough light (trick question - there's never enough light). Lack of sharpness could also be due to kit lenses; try to get your hands on a normal or short telephoto prime, see how it goes.

Tubes aren't the be all end all of macro, just another piece of gear to help you do the job if you can't or don't want to use a dedicated macro lens (or if you're using one and want more magnification). Your lens can't go past its minimal focus distance because the focal point would move behind the film plane. Pop a tube between the lens and the camera and now there's plenty more room to go. By getting closer to the subject, it'll fill more of the frame (increased magnification), which means plenty more detail; you'll pay for it with reduced depth of field (more mag = less DoF) and potentially massive loss of light. The gear can also become unbalanced and awkward to handle. edit: also, you'll lose infinity focus with tubes.
Forcing a lens to focus closer than it's supposed to does affect image quality, but I'm not sure how much. For most cases I figure it's negligible, especially since diffraction (very bad stuff that happens as you stop down the aperture) is a much bigger concern at high magnifications.

seravid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 10, 2014