Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Took a photo of some new leaves unfolding

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Got a closeup of a flower here

IMG_1710 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Timage posted:

Just got a little macro filter to screw onto my 50 F1.4. Does an alright job for the price. Need to work on my focusing a little. Any other tips?
Maybe use a tripod + liveview?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Alternatively you can go for a set of Kenko extension tubes, relatively cheap but you can get close up like a macro.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Among the Smooth by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adding another snail

El Caracol by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

White beetle by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD

Little white beetle by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD

Hitch-hiker by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FLX posted:

Hey OP (or anyone else), I received my Sigma 105mm macro yesterday and this is a really weird lens. :haw: It seems sharp, but the autofocus is pretty bad and sometimes misses the target by a hair, even though it says it has focused successfully. Also, is it really not possible to attach the lens cap when the lens hood is put on?!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to take it into the woods/fields for some insect shooting. Is there anything I should know to use the lens to its best potential? Do you use a flash often? From testing the lens at home for a couple of minutes it seems that the DOF below f8 is way too shallow for even a small bug.
I haven't used the Sigma macro lens before but if you're shooting macro so close, you best use manual focus otherwise your AF will just be hunting endlessly. I don't use a flash either but most ppl do use it to freeze motion or provide better illumination when they go bug-hunting in the wee morning.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Flower macro!

Botanic Gardens 3-14 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^ The Canon 100L is truly a magnificent lens!

Adding some more flower macros (crossposting from SAD)

Botanic Gardens 3-15 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Botanic Gardens 3-16 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those are some really great shots there MrOpus!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thoughts? I'm still trying to get the hang of the off-camera flash. Are the shiny spots too distracting?

Yeah a diffuser might help.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot this for the leaf's texture

Anthocyaninic Leaf by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Graniteman posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for focus stacking software for macro work? I don't have (and won't buy) Photoshop. Helicon Focus looks neat, and it's only $30, but I don't know what else is out there.
Zerene Stacker seems to be the most popular one and having seen some reviews, it's probably the best one too. But I think it's the most expensive of the focus stacking softwares.

You can make do with a steady tripod and a macro rail but if you're going past 1:1 magnification, you see people rigging up hardcore setups with linear stages and micrometer heads. Or you have money you can just buy the StackShot autoslider.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross posting this from SAD

Botanic Gardens 6-1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I like the 3rd one the most!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Posted this in SAD some time back

Standby, dragonfly by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Botanic Gardens 7-1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dalax posted:

Can someone just confirm if what I suspect focus stacking to be is actually correct, i.e. multiple exposures of the same composition with each exposure being at a different depth of field, then merged in photoshop?
Almost correct, but not at a different depth of view, more like the same depth of view being slowly moved across the subject and taken at each point, and then merged.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Super cliche shot

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

GBTB 02-04 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

More plant macros

GBTB 02-06 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GBTB 02-07 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GBTB 02-09 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Something delicious instead of something gross -- strawberry milk:

Reminds me of the ectoplasm river in the sewers in Ghostbusters 2.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Grasshopper by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just got the new Olympus 60mm macro for m4/3 and I did a test shoot with it.

Ten Cents by alkanphel, on Flickr

Leica Badge by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fern 2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Rest of the photos are here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjChvSjQ

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Take-off by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dakana posted:

Tell me about macro focusing rails.

Is it an exercise in frustration to buy a cheapish eBay one? If not, which one(s) should I be looking at? I use a 1D, sometimes with a 70-200, so I'd have a decent amount of weight on it. I have a good tripod and ball head already.

The Velbon Super Mag Slider is the one slider that I saw recommended most often when I was doing my research for a slider.

The other options I considered were the Manfrotto 454 slider and the Kirk focusing rail.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I like the price on that Manfrotto. That puts it in the realm of possibilities for me. Anyone have hands on with it?

I actually tried it out for a macro session, didn't like it because it had too much play if you didn't screw down the locking nut tightly. That got tedious fast for me because when you do 1:1 or 2:1 macro, even a small shift in the entire sliding plate cause by screwing the locking nut will move your focus to somewhere else, so there was way too much fiddling. A geardrive like the Velbon was much better.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BG 12-08 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I wish someone made really long extension tubes. It would be better than stacking multiple sets.

Maybe I’m supposed to buy an MP‐E.

Really long extension tubes are called bellows.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Platystemon posted:

EOS requires automatic bellows, but those are super expensive. I might as well get an MP‐E. e: Christ, I just price‐checked them, and they’re $950. That’s worse than I remember.

I could probably wire up some poor‐man’s bellows with contacts from an auto extension tube and some ribbon cable, but :effort:.

Well depends on what you want. A bellows would probably give you a range of magnifications and the use of different focal lengths while the MPE is just 65mm and starts at 1:1 already.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Or you can go hardcore like this guy:

Focus stacking rig by johnhallmen, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Graniteman posted:

John does amazing work. I really recommend following him on Flickr.

Yeah I really love his work and respect that he's using those crazy rigs out in the field.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Brown Bud by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nice setup!

I'm using the same thing for my Hassy as well, the bellows is great for doing MF macro but it's irritating because sometimes I forget to factor in bellows exposure compensation :( I didn't actually have a problem with the focusing because the magnifier eyepieces on the Hassy viewfinders are pretty good and bright. But it does get really dark when I get near the 2:1 ratio.

I'd recommend the Markins Q3 tripod head I'm using, it's very stable and holds the setup well enough without creep. I think it's around US$200 or so?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

eggsovereasy posted:

Nice, I'll check out that head.

My macro lens only opens up to f/4.5 so that doesn't help the dim view finder, but I also have an 80/2.8 which gets more light in there for focusing and I can still get out to nearly 2x magnification.

Do you find the hood useful with macro work? Does it get in the way?

I keep thinking I'll move to a Hasselblad at some point and then I buy another something for the Bronica :negative:

Not much difference from mine either, mine only opens up to f/4. I also have the 80/2.8 but it requires me to get way too close to the subject when doing 1:1 magnifications so I just stick to the 120/4.

The hood usually doesn't get in the way of shooting, only at largest magnification does the hood come very close to touching. So I just keep it on for protection and keep out stray light.

This is probably the smallest thing I shot with it, the flower is about the size of your fingernail.

GBTB 01-09 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

GBTB, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Slavvy posted:

:stare:

What the crikey gently caress is that?

Looks like a moth.