Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

nummy posted:

I'm interested in extension tubes as well. I was thinking of the DCR250 until I realized it would only fit on one of my lenses (50mm 1.8). I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8, and both have filter diameters larger than the max for the DCR's.

That said, if I get an extension tube, what lens would it work best with? 70-200 for more working room?

I'm sure I'll end up with a macro lens at some point, but until then I would like to at least get my feet wet.

Try a step up/down ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Dead baby bird claw

Mite

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

Studebaker, the mite on the flower pistil is INSANELY close what's your setup like? I'm sure you get this question a billion times but I'm lazy :)

I just came into possession of an MP-E65! Cheapo chinese bracket/ball head with a 430EX, opteka collapsable diffuser.

Really fun lens, difficult to use but I am learning :)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

My off camera cord is acting strange. Recent:

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 18, 2010

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Refraction by damnlamb, on Flickr

Dandelion by damnlamb, on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Abnegatus posted:

I've actually been having this internal battle on which lens to buy... this might help me. I have two questions:

First question:
I am almost dead set on purchasing the 100mm 2.8 Macro L canon lens, but when I see pictures from people with reversed lenses I am completely blown away. Can anyone tell me how the 100mm Macro lens really compares to these reversed lenses? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Second question:
Let's say I want to reverse a lens, I figure I should go with a prime (cheapest prime then is the nifty fifty). What reverse mount can I use for the Canon's 50mm 1.8?
This pairs itself up with the nifty fifty, but I am unsure if it is as good as the two reverse mounts previously listed (Raynox 150/250). Can anyone help?

I'm really incompetent when it comes to figuring out mm ring sizes :(
You can do cool stuff with a reversing ring but a macro lens is 1000 times easier. First of all, electronically being able to set aperture and use Av/Tv is invaluable. The times I was using a reversing ring and had to mount lens, select stop, press DOF preview and then reverse was a huge PITA.

I would actually suggest saving your money and buying either the canon 100mm non L or the sigma 150mm (ps I have one for sale). Both of these lenses are superb and I believe that IS is largely unnecessary for macro, as well as ~half the price. IS would be handy for portraits, etc in lower light conditions but I would say save the money for other things (lenses, flashes, etc)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Abnegatus posted:

Do you know if the magnification on the 100mm Macro 2.8 is at all comparable with the reversed lenses? Would I be able to take pictures somewhat like this suave sob?

My reasoning for the L 100mm is that I typically don't use any telephoto lenses as my general "walk around" lens (also, I would like to use this one for portraits). For my telephoto needs I am looking to get the 70-200 2.8 IS L lens, but I am also looking at the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L... I don't want a lenses that overlap as I feel it would somewhat be a waste of money (and I'm not entirely sure what the canon 2x teleconverter would do to image quality on the 70-200 2.8); as it is though I am not sure what to choose. This problem (choosing between telephoto lenses) is directly interfering with my choice on whether or not to buy the 100mm macro outright (as it would overlap with another L series lens). But I really want to do amazing macro shots like Thomas Shahan, and I don't know if that is even possible with the 100mm.

Also, what is this madness about mounting a lens ON TOP of another lens?
It looks like he actually just uses extension tubes and a reversed 28mm according to his video here which makes me feel bad about having an MP-E 65mm and taking worse photos :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 10, 2010

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've got a t2i and 100mm 2.8 macro. I'd like to get a ring flash/light of some kind, and came across this on b&h- Sunpak Ring Light

Anyone have experience with this? Reviews suggest it isn't terribly powerful, but seems like it might work to get another stop or two without having to go to a crappy ISO. Also seems like it could be useful for macro video.

Any other suggestions for a 3rd party ring flash,, probably <$200?

Also, I'm sure this has been covered, but the Kenko extension tubes are good?

I think I linked this a couple pages back- I haven't gotten to use it more than twice but like it thus far. Way better than what you are looking at, "adjustable" heads, ETTL-II. Now I just need to DIY some sort of diffuser...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Cheap MP-E came up on my RSS this morning, fwiw

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Gambl0r posted:

Get a set of tubes, its the easiest and cheapest way to start out with macro. They should work with any of your lenses, but I think the Tamron set to 50mm will work best. Also, 11 dollars? That price makes the Kenko set seem like the luxury line :D

I missed it... do I dare ask what the price was?... was it much cheaper than what they go for on eBay?

~700 IIRC?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Catico posted:

Forgive my total lack of knowledge, but what are cobras?

By small I mean anything from palm-sized to the size of a quarter, mostly. Occasionally some things will be smaller (~dime-sized), but I expect this to be rare. I'll be able to move stuff around as much as I need.

I'd love an auto-focusing macro lens, if I can get the funding for it. Does anybody make one that costs less than an entire camera body? (My one experience with a Rebel and a manual-focus macro lens was pretty disastrous. Granted, I was working quickly, without practice, and in a dark, 110F cabin in the jungle, but that made me really really appreciate auto-focus.)

The tokina 100/sigma 105/tamron 90 are all sub $400 and are pretty good, though slower AF than the canon 100 which you can find used for $450-500. I would also highly recommend the sigma 150mm which I have (and am still lazily trying to sell)

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Excited for this upcoming macro season. I really need to figure out my light though, unhappy with my cheap ringflash in that I cannot figure out a diffusion method.

Jumper II by damnlamb, on Flickr

Ant by damnlamb, on Flickr

Ants by damnlamb, on Flickr

Pollen by damnlamb, on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 1, 2011

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Moth III by damnlamb, on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Grabbed some shots of a robberfly while taking a break from work...on a saturday :(

Robberfly I by damnlamb, on Flickr

Robberfly III by damnlamb, on Flickr

More on flickr

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I have a T2i, the kit lens, the 50/1.8, and a handful of old Takumar M42 lenses (50/1.4, 35/4, 135/4, teleconverter of some sort) with a basic Fotodiox mount adapter. I want some ability to do macro stuff, but I don't think $400 for a new macro lens would fly right now - I'm probably limited to around $100.

Would I be better off with the Canon extension tube or one of the Macro Takumar lenses like this one?

Depends on what you want to shoot. Tubes are versatile, also consider a reversing ring if you want greater than 1:1 mag.

I have one that fits the kit lens that I would send to you for cost of shipping. Actually come to think of it, it should fit in an envelope...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Alctel posted:

Yeah, that was my first choice :)

I have a flash bracket that I can sell you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=737249&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Not sure how much to ship to Canada but I would take 15+shipping

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I have enough trouble with birds in flight -- bee in flight is very impressive!

I don't know how you guys get these shots in the wild. Hand-held I can't come close to this, and with a tripod the bug has to be dead already to still be there when I finally get set up.

Continuing with my fruit experiment...

What do you use for your high-mag stuff? I am a former MP-E65mm user but it was stolen, re-evaluating my entire setup in favor of mirrorless but still need a suitable high-magnification macro kit to fufill my lust for tiny things.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Raikyn posted:

Something else with a mp-e 65
spider feeding

Man, I miss my MP-E (was stolen along with all my canon gear)- almost makes me want to invest in the canon system again. I've dreamed about adapting it to my NEX or something similar but just can't seem to think of anything that works; nevermind that my nex doesn't have a real goddamn hotshoe

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Abugadu posted:

My friend recently opened his website where he does macro photo/video of nudibranchs and other tiny marine life from the Philippines and Guam, worth a look I promise :)

http://www.macronesia.net/

envious of both his skills and his working environment :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Is anyone doing greater than 1:1 mag on a mirrorless system? I switched to Fuji and miss/need something to replace my MP-E 65mm (1-5x mag).

I did see the fuji macro ring announcement...