Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

This may be what sways us between a Land Cruiser and a GX550. I assume the Lexus dealer experience with loaners/etc is going to be much better.

MUCH better. My wife went from a Lexus to a Toyota then back to Lexus and that was one of the reasons. The Toyota dealership straight up lied to her about loaners, they assured her she would have a loaner for any issues or service, and when she took it in for it's first service the service dept laughed at her when she asked for a loaner. She was loving pissed, and then she started to hate the car (Avalon hybrid) and that was the end of that lol. She's back in a Lexus and way happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lmao apparently Italy is coming after Stellantis for the Milano because it is built in the Poland factory. Something about strong laws that things named after Italy must be made in Italy otherwise it is deceptive to customers. People gotta know they are gonna get a car by the nice folks that had a few too many glasses of vino at lunch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

MUCH better. My wife went from a Lexus to a Toyota then back to Lexus and that was one of the reasons. The Toyota dealership straight up lied to her about loaners, they assured her she would have a loaner for any issues or service, and when she took it in for it's first service the service dept laughed at her when she asked for a loaner. She was loving pissed, and then she started to hate the car (Avalon hybrid) and that was the end of that lol. She's back in a Lexus and way happier.

Was it bought at the same dealership she took it to for service?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Was it bought at the same dealership she took it to for service?

Yes, I don't think we would have expected a promise from one dealership to be covered by another if that were the case.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TheBacon posted:

Lmao apparently Italy is coming after Stellantis for the Milano because it is built in the Poland factory. Something about strong laws that things named after Italy must be made in Italy otherwise it is deceptive to customers. People gotta know they are gonna get a car by the nice folks that had a few too many glasses of vino at lunch.

Pepperidge Farm gonna hear about this.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheBacon posted:

As an Italian let me provide some insight, MIMIT (ministero delle Imprese e del Made in Italy) is pissed off at Stellantis since most of their viable production is outside Italy regardless of all the public money provided to fiat (everything below Modena has been built at gov expense to improve the south economy with a lot of tax cuts and direct money injection). The latest outburst of Urso, head of MIMIT, is one in a long line of attempts to please the voting public bound to the non-productive sites but without any teeth to act. It's all propaganda.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

As an Italian let me provide some insight, MIMIT (ministero delle Imprese e del Made in Italy) is pissed off at Stellantis since most of their viable production is outside Italy regardless of all the public money provided to fiat (everything below Modena has been built at gov expense to improve the south economy with a lot of tax cuts and direct money injection). The latest outburst of Urso, head of MIMIT, is one in a long line of attempts to please the voting public bound to the non-productive sites but without any teeth to act. It's all propaganda.

I mean it kind of owns imo that they are telling Alfa to gently caress off. Sounds like they should get to have more teeth heh

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheBacon posted:

I mean it kind of owns imo that they are telling Alfa to gently caress off. Sounds like they should get to have more teeth heh

When the Tychy plant started making Pandas the people reaction was "finally we can get a Panda whose doors won't fall off". If you ask the average italian where he likes his cars to be built the standard response is "everywhere but Italy".
My car was made in Tychy and it's the same line of the Milano (Jeep Avenger), of all the issues the car has none i can think of are due to Tychy staffers loving up (beside forgetting to put all the markings on the battery, that's on them).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

When the Tychy plant started making Pandas the people reaction was "finally we can get a Panda whose doors won't fall off". If you ask the average italian where he likes his cars to be built the standard response is "everywhere but Italy".
My car was made in Tychy and it's the same line of the Milano (Jeep Avenger), of all the issues the car has none i can think of are due to Tychy staffers loving up (beside forgetting to put all the markings on the battery, that's on them).
Poland has a long and proud tradition of making excellent Italian cars

Nothing wrong with making cars there of course, but if Fiat got a handout from the government to make cars there [e: in Italy], that's pretty lovely. Southern Italy is pretty hosed economically and needs all the help they can get.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 15, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Nothing wrong with making cars there of course, but if Fiat got a handout from the government to make cars there, that's pretty lovely. Southern Italy is pretty hosed economically and needs all the help they can get.

If you want to really really rile up Italian people ask them about how much public money has been burned to keep Cassino, Melfi and Pomigliano open. It's a very sensitive topic, the kind you don't want to touch in an enclosed room without knowing where the closest exits are.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Need to convince some PE to build datacenters in southern italy so I can get hired to move there. Stimulate some economy with taking a bunch of power that I am sure there is an abundance of.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheBacon posted:

Need to convince some PE to build datacenters in southern italy so I can get hired to move there. Stimulate some economy with taking a bunch of power that I am sure there is an abundance of.

Aruba.it, the biggest homegrown service provider never went beyond Rome for their datacenters, same for Leonardo with the PSN. The only noteworthy sites in the south you will see are research setups.
The chronic lack of infrastructure, be it power, water or access to high speed internet, used to put a big stop for investments in It, connectivity has improved a lot but the other two are still there. Amazon and Microsoft starting their own datacenters in Milan and Turin also makes any new install pretty much impossible to justify.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 15, 2024

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Milano, we hardly knew you....

quote:

Italian Government Forces Alfa Romeo to Change Name of Milano SUV to 'Junior'
Following pressure from the Italian government, Alfa Romeo has decided to change the name of its newly unveiled SUV.

In what's been a rollercoaster week for Alfa Romeo, the company announced Monday it will change the name of its newly unveiled Milano SUV to "Junior" following pressure from the Italian government.

The decision comes just a few days after Adolfo Urso, Italy's industry minister, criticized Alfa Romeo for marketing a foreign-built car with an Italian name. The Milano is built at Alfa's Tychy assembly plant, located in Poland.

"A car called Milano cannot be produced in Poland," Urso said on Thursday. "This is forbidden by Italian law."

He's referring to a piece of legislation from 2003 that calls out "Italian-sounding" products that falsely claim to be produced in Italy, according to Reuters.

"This law stipulates that you cannot give indications that mislead consumers," Urso added. "So a car called Milano must be produced in Italy. Otherwise, it gives a misleading indication which is not allowed under Italian law."

https://www.motor1.com/news/716152/alfa-romeo-changes-milano-name-to-junior/

I guess the Ferrari California got to skate on the law.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

davecrazy posted:

Milano, we hardly knew you....

https://www.motor1.com/news/716152/alfa-romeo-changes-milano-name-to-junior/

Color me surprised, first time i would that law enforced.

Edit: the full press blurb from the alfa ceo is weapon grade seething, https://www.gazzetta.it/motori/la-mia-auto/15-04-2024/alfa-romeo-milano-diventa-alfa-romeo-junior-ecco-perche-il-suv-cambia-nome.shtml

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 15, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

Color me surprised, first time i would that law enforced.

Edit: the full press blurb from the alfa ceo is weapon grade seething, https://www.gazzetta.it/motori/la-mia-auto/15-04-2024/alfa-romeo-milano-diventa-alfa-romeo-junior-ecco-perche-il-suv-cambia-nome.shtml
I thought this was an article about the name change based on the title but then I saw it was the actual Stellantis press release.

https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/alfa-romeo/press/alfa-romeo-milano-name-is-not-ok-alfa-romeo-junior-then

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought this was an article about the name change based on the title but then I saw it was the actual Stellantis press release.

https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/alfa-romeo/press/alfa-romeo-milano-name-is-not-ok-alfa-romeo-junior-then

The original interviews have a deep "we are doing this under duress and we won't forget about this stunt" underlying tone. That english press release is smoothing a lot of the untranslated passive-aggressive bits. In another era Urso would have gotten impromptu astronaut certification for loving with fiat this bad.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

davecrazy posted:

That's not using an Italian name, so what do the Italians care?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The Alfa Romeo Caporetto

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Alfa Romeo Vaffanculo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alfa Romeo Gabagool

It's technically not an Itallian word.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My little local Kia dealer is fine. Maybe I’m just lucky

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Suzuki cappuccino is toast

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

euphronius posted:

My little local Kia dealer is fine. Maybe I’m just lucky

A relative bought an Ioniq5 last year. Should have been a straightforward process, the car they wanted was on the lot and they knew they wanted to buy it. There was some pain during the purchase process because nobody knew what was going on (every salesperson but one had been there for under 30 days, and nobody knew a single thing about EVs). The salesperson told them it would charge from 0-100% in 30 minutes by plugging into a normal outlet at their house.

A week and a half after buying it they tried to call the dealership to ask how to activate the free charging subscription. They couldn't get through on the phone after two days of trying, so they went in. There was no receptionist or anyone to answer the phone, and they realized they had left the phone forwarding to voicemail for the weekend. It was a Tuesday afternoon....

In that week, five employees had quit or been fired, and every single employee working was different from the day they bought the car, including the people in the offices. They said that was "pretty normal." Just a wild experience.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Russian Bear posted:

Suzuki cappuccino is toast

An alfisti forum provided a few cars currently sold in Italy
- Ssanyong Tivoli
- Kia Sorento

Neither of which are made in Italy or by Italian brands.

The law was introduced in 2003 so it was active during the sale of this two other foreign models that are no longer available

- Nissan Murano
- Toyota Sienna

That law has never been deployed on firms that have real IP lawyers and would likely fail at the first pushback in EU courts.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

Alfa Romeo Gabagool

It's technically not an Itallian word.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mobby_6kl posted:

Nothing wrong with making cars there of course, but if Fiat got a handout from the government to make cars there [e: in Italy], that's pretty lovely. Southern Italy is pretty hosed economically and needs all the help they can get.

A terrible way to drive from Germany to Poland and back, FWIW.

New Land Cruiser reviews are coming out from the launch and they seem good! Seems like everyone just drove around some Toyota built course in San Diego, so it'll be interesting to hear what the reviewers say once they get actual review units.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If you didn't pick up an Alfa 4C when you had the chance, Fiat has you covered:

quote:

The Heritage department, a division of Stellantis dedicated to the heritage of Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, and Abarth, is building five examples of the rejigged Alfa 4C for the world through its Reloaded by Creators program. The new Abarth body features a roof-mounted intake scoop, tail panel Abarth logo, a revamped nose, and rear window louvers to set it apart from the 4C we all know and conditionally love.

https://jalopnik.com/abarth-is-building-an-alfa-4c-the-way-it-should-have-be-1851413163

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does it have power steering though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Does it have power steering though

Sometimes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I saw an Ineos Grenadier in traffic today. A thing I didn’t know even was a thing in the US. Looks like the bastard child of a Land Rover Discovery and a Toyota Land Cruiser. Comically expensive, and wildly impractical in a paved suburban hellscape. Fits right in, here.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MrYenko posted:

I saw an Ineos Grenadier in traffic today. A thing I didn’t know even was a thing in the US. Looks like the bastard child of a Land Rover Discovery and a Toyota Land Cruiser. Comically expensive, and wildly impractical in a paved suburban hellscape. Fits right in, here.

It’s a continuation Land Rover Defender basically. Which is absolutely what it is a 100% copy and paste of style wise.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The interior of the grenadier is almost cool in a 'trying to hard to be an army man' way but yeah. It's just a way too expensive Landy. I've seen a total of one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Doesn't seem like terrible value compared to a LandCruiser 70

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I saw my first the other day too. Exactly as much "We've got a Defender at home" as it looks in the pics, Even if I like some of the features (like the overhead switches, pre-wired switched external power connectors, accessory rails), it's still a spite car made by a spiteful old Brexiteer billionaire hypocrite who didn't like not getting his way. Remember back when Ratcliffe bemoaned the death of a simple tough implement the Defender was, a vehicle the plucky British farmer could hose the muck out of and fix in a field with a hammer? That's what he wanted to build, and build it in Britain too! Not sure how easily a farmer fixes a BMW turbo engine and ZF 8HP in a field with a hammer, but OK. The footwell is also compromised in RHD form, its 'home market', which strikes me as a massive oversight. Don't even get me started on the environmental disaster that is the wider Ineos petro-chemical company.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrYenko posted:

There are two in the lot at work. They look awesome but it seems like the early ownership experience is exactly what you might expect.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have not seen a Grenadier out in the wild yet.

I did see a Fiskar Ocean, however, traveling out into some boondocks without fast charging. I am always surprised with what I see in rural WA

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrYenko posted:

I saw one of these yesterday too, and while I went "I think that's a thing I know about" it looked like something that rolled out of Grand Theft Auto. It is not a Defender in looks, it looks generic. There are a couple real Defender 90s I see here and they have 'the look' and you go "sweet that's cool as hell". I also know that every single one I see is someone that would have normally been in a G-class Mercedes or the most tarted up 4 door Jeep, but wants to be alternative. If the pickup came in a single or even extended cab that would probably look neat to my jaded eyes but eh.
I don't think it's no-nonsense at all and is in fact a really good cosplay of a 'simple farm vehicle.' Real banker on the back of a brand new Harley with leathers bought right off the showroom floor energy.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have seen the new M5 Touring in the wild in America and I want it real bad. It looks great to me, no dumb grill. They are apparently driving it across the country to test it in US climate. Was leaving a random coffee shop in suburban Vegas and they pulled in. I asked them to bring the M3 Touring as well lol.

Bunch of calibration equipment in the trunk.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

TheBacon posted:

I asked them to bring the M3 Touring as well lol.

I stumbled across a new M3 touring in Geneva and have to say it wasn’t bad even with the nose. Something about the long roof balances it out in a way the coupe doesn’t.

Would still take an Alpina b3 instead and avoid it, but it’s not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

SlowBloke posted:

An alfisti forum provided a few cars currently sold in Italy
- Ssanyong Tivoli
- Kia Sorento

Neither of which are made in Italy or by Italian brands.

The law was introduced in 2003 so it was active during the sale of this two other foreign models that are no longer available

- Nissan Murano
- Toyota Sienna

That law has never been deployed on firms that have real IP lawyers and would likely fail at the first pushback in EU courts.

I don't think that there would be any reasonable expectation that Ssanyong, Kia, Nissan or Toyota would be producing cars in Italy to back up the Italian model name. Its a bit different when its Alfa Romeo.

Not that I am siding with this hilarious ruling, but those cars are not the same situation.