Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Alfa teases with a mid-engine, rwd, 850 kg convertible concept:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110202/COPY01/302029991/1164

Autonews posted:

TURIN -- Alfa Romeo plans to build a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe that would become the brand's halo car.

Fiat's struggling sporty brand aims to complete a concept car for the innovative lightweight coupe for a planned Geneva auto show debut next month.

The concept is set to be built as the 4C GTA and go on sale for 40,000 euros (about $55,000).

Alfa enthusiasts have dreamed for almost two decades of the return of an affordable rear-drive model after the Duetto Spider was discontinued in 1994.

Alfa's 8C Competizione, which was built from 2007-2008, was too expensive for most Alfa buyers. The spider version of the 8C cost up to 213,000 euros and the car's production run was limited to 1,000 units.

Alfa is set to begin production of the 4C GTA by the end of 2012 in one of Fiat's factories in Italy. The automaker plans to build 20,000 to 25,000 units of the coupe over the following five years, two people familiar to the matter told Automotive News Europe.

The Fiat sources said that the 4C GTA could be sold in the United States, but no decision has been made yet.

A Fiat spokesman confirmed that Alfa is working on a concept car, but said its unveiling at the Geneva show is still uncertain because of “delays in the concept model construction.”

The 4C GTA was designed by Alfa's styling center in Turin and is said to be a rakish, very compact and extremely low two-seat coupe. Reports on Alfa's enthusiast blogs wrongly say the model was designed by Pininfarina S.p.A.

The 4C GTA will go on sale at a crucial time for Alfa in the final quarter of 2012 when the company also plans to introduce the Giulia mid-sized sedan to replace the slow-selling 159 and the brand's first ever SUV, a sister model to the Jeep Compass/Patriot replacement.

The 4C GTA should attract customers to Alfa showrooms to discover – and hopefully buy – the Giulia and the SUV, two key models in Fiat S.p.A. CEO Sergio Marchionne's plan to lift Alfa sales to 500,000 units by 2014. Alfa's global sales last year increased a modest 10.2 percent to 112,000 units despite the introduction of the Giulietta compact hatchback

Thanks to an innovative construction method, which combines carbon fiber and aluminum, the 4C GTA will be very lightweight. Alfa is targeting an 850kg (1,784 lbs) curb weight for the car.

The 4C GTA would have an impressive power-to-weight ratio below 3.5kg/hp despite being powered by the 1.8-liter, four-cylinder gasoline direct-injection engine offered in the Giulietta with the horsepower boosted to more than 250 hp from 235 hp.

As a comparison, the rear-engine, rear-drive Porsche Cayman coupe offers a 3.98kg/hp weight-to-power ratio even for the S performance model, where 320 hp has to move 1,275kg.

Alfa Romeo teamed up with Italy's Dallara Automobili, which is one of the world's largest producer of racecars to create the 4C GTA.

The car's structure is a development of the X-Bow, an extreme two-seat roadster launched in 2007 and engineered by Dallara for Austrian motorcycle maker KTM.

Dallara developed a carbon fiber cockpit for the 4C GTA, which features front and rear aluminum sub-frames to house the engine, as well as carry the pushrod suspensions and to absorb deformation in crash tests.

GTA is Alfa's acronym for Gran Turismo Alleggerita – Lightened Grand Touring in Italian – and was last used for the 147 GTA compact hatchback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Alfa derived Dodge Caliber is almost done.

It appears to be very, very similar to the Giulietta:
http://www.google.fi/search?q=alfa giulietta&tbm=isch

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Official press release and images of the Alfa 4C are out: http://www.alfaromeopress.com/press/article/115460

4 m long, 2 m wide, 1.18 m tall, 2.4 m wheelbase (tiny). Less than 4 kg/hp, so 235hp and <940 kg (<2070 lbs)?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

eames posted:

That VW XL1 reminds me so much of the Saab 92/93b/96, the rear in particular.
Performance too…

//edit: and weight. and displacement.

But not fuel consumption. Not a strong point of the 2 stroke Saabs.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Well this was a confusing post.

The transmission uses dry clutches, like a Ford Fiesta. It's not a dry sump.

I thought they were going for 300hp on the engine? That's exactly the same as the one used in the Giulietta.

There is supposed to be a "racing" version later on with 280-300 hp and possibly a one-make racing series. The 895 kg dry weight is a nice achievement.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the lights look better on the white car with the carbon fibre surrounds:

More pictures: http://www.autopareri.com/Alfa-Romeo-al-salone-di-Ginevra-1519.html

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know what you can do with the suspension in WTCC, but they probably let you stitch weld the chassis to be super stiff, at which point it's all on the suspension tuning to get the thing to go fast. In general, newer chassis ought to be stiffer and more advanced than older ones. The BMWs in WTCC are at least a few years older, for example.
Try asking in these threads:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526056
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129

After a modern safety cage has been installed, all the cars are stiff as gently caress and the stiffness of the original non-racing car is meaningless. Shocks and springs also have nothing to do with the stock components. What matters is weight distribution and suspension geometry: how well suited the geometry is to racing, what happens to the geometry when the car is slammed to the ground and what can be done to the geometry within the rules of the series. I don't know about WTCC, but in most touring car series alteration of suspension attachment points on body or the type of suspension is not allowed. A varying level of modifications to the suspension arms and uprights is often allowed. Partially to allow fitment of proper brakes. Most street car suspensions require some geometric modifications to make them work at a racing ride height.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Math You posted:

This just reminds me how sad I am that there is no 6 wagon :(

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Frankly, unless it is forbidden/made unattractive by laws or rules, if some 400-500 hp is needed in a car it is very difficult to come up with rational argument not to use a LS series GM V8.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't imagine which laws or rules that would outlaw the GM small-block V8. It's quite fuel-efficient for the amount of power it makes, particularly with cylinder deactivation, direct injection and the massive torque that lets you force a 1st-4th shift when you're just cruising along. It's compact, not all that heavy and spare/go-fast parts and common as dirt everywhere a V8-powered GM vehicle is sold.

There a lot of rules (racing) and laws (road traffic) that forbid for example large increases in displacement. Say if you want to put a LS7 in a RX7. Or in racing you may end up with a class or minimum weight that makes the option unattractive.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I think Peugeot have more or less decided that they don't want to be boring anymore. Here's the 308R, with the same 266hp 1.6L turbo as in the RCZ R, set to debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show:

Attention Peugeot: Please make this car, and offer it in that color combination.

It looks like Peugeot decided to become German. It only needs a third color: yellow.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A Chris Harris video on the Alfa 4C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnuNv77rB0Q

Price in Germany 50500 €. AC, satnav and heated electric mirrors are no cost options.

Reference prices in Germany:
Lotus Exige with AC 68300 €
Lotus Elise S ("comfort" pack) 48910 €
Porsche Cayman (no options) 51385 €
Porsche Cayman S (no options) 64118 €
Corvette C7 from 69900 €

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

The weird spider headlights are your only option. The earlier concepts had more normal headlights, like on the Giulietta. I have no idea why they went with the weird spider-looking things for the production model.

And production is limited to 3500 cars, AFAIK.

Official reason for the spider lights is weight savings, real reason probably tooling and homologation costs on a low production car. The production is limited to 3500/year (not overall) because of the production capacity for the carbon tub. I think the first year production has already been sold. If you place an order now, the projected delivery is late 2014.

Edit: AutoCar first drive: http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alfa-romeo/4c/first-drives/alfa-romeo-4c-first-drive-review

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 24, 2013

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Copperhead looks good. I don't know how the 4C based Dodge would work out, as the 4C production is already limited by production capacity for the tub. I guess they could build a larger production facility for carbon tubs, but that seems like a risky investment.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

davebo posted:

Also apparently the McLaren P1 did the ring in under 7 minutes? Crazy.

I think the rumors have been around 6:30-6:50 mark. I guess it mostly depends on what tires they put on.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe I've misunderstood what these kits actually do. It says in the article that the Callaway kit actually leaves the leaf springs in place and just add coils on top?

Correct me if I'm wrong since you're an engineer and all but shocks and springs are not the same thing in terms of energy. The shocks only need to dampen the compression and rebound, the springs are actually where all of the weight/energy gets transferred and stored and thus a spring mount is going to need much more reinforcement than a damper.

I believe that the shocks transmit higher peak loads to the chassis than the springs. The shocks take care of all the high-velocity, high energy suspension movement while the springs only deal with the low velocity, low frequency motion that was not counteracted by the shocks. It is the high amplitude, high frequency loads that are most likely to cause metal fatigue and thus they are the most important factor for the integrity of the chassis.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

There's a new Renault Twingo. Rear engine, RWD, manual trans.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/13/next-renault-twingo-ready-swiss-debut/

That is more Fiat 500 than the new Fiat 500. Will be awesome if they make a proper Renault Sport version. Renault has quite decent history with the sporty version of small hatchbacks.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Has this been posted yet?
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/giulia/88203/new-alfa-romeo-giulia-gta-to-target-bmw-m3

Rear-drive Alfa w/ ~500 horsepower turbo V6 (fingers crossed) :getin:

Oh yeah, and the Giulia is finally taking shape.

That's just some photoshop special commissioned by the magazine. No photos have been published/leaked from Fiat/Alfa.

However in may they did discuss their future engine range. Basically it is three turbo gasoline engines and two turbodiesels with varying outputs.

I'd guess:
- 1.4 4 cyl, 120-180 hp (Fiat/Alfa 1.4 multiair)
- 1.75 4 cyl, 170-330 hp (the 4C/Giulietta QV engine with different boost levels)
- 3.0-4.0 6 cyl with 400-520 hp. (Ghibli has a 3.0 330-410 hp six, enlarged or more boost?)

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the "it blew them away" is a bit of a bold statement considering "the industry norm" assumption of 15% drivetrain loss. Maybe they could have used a dyno where they measure the drivetrain loss. If it's a 10% loss it would be right on the money.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honest question - how would you even be able to do that without removing the engine?

By measuring the torque during coast down with clutch disengaged. It is not perfect, because loading on the gears and tyres is different under load and during coast down, but much much better than "industry standard 15%". Just changing the tyre pressure causes a significant change in the drivetrain loss.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A test mule for a future Alfa Giulia has been spotted in a shortened Ghibli body:

Tipo (type) 952 is the internal model code. FWD 156 was 932, 166 936, 147/GT 937, 159/Brera/Spider 939.

Here's an "artist impression" of what the new Giulia could look like (Nothing to do with Alfa/FCA):

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'd love to see a Maserati engine (derived from Ferrari of course) in a hopped up Jeep. I didn't dislike Luca Di Motezemolo as much as some people but that would be a hilarious FU in his direction.

Here's a future Maserati SUV test mule in a Ghibli body. I'm sure it would be easy to drop a Jeep body on it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
FCA is spinning off Ferrari: http://www.autonews.com/article/20141029/OEM01/141029819/fiat-chrysler-to-spin-off-10-of-ferrari-raise-cash-as-debt-surges

FCA stock price peaked at +19%, not ~+12%.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Are there any FWD platform vehicles that have 50/50 power distribution front/rear, or a rearward bias? I know it's possible, I'm wondering if any are actually built; Audi's Quattro for example is a longitudinal layout, the "Quattro" in the A3 built on the MQB platform is just a Haldex system.

So yes, it does matter.

At least Delta Integrale and Alfa's Q4s (155 Q4, 156 Q4, 156 Crosswagon, 159 Q4, Brera Q4...) are FWD based transverse engined cars with permanent rear-biased 4WD.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Some information on the engine line-up of the upcoming Alfa RWD sedan:

- 2.0 4-cyl. turbo, 180-330 hp
- 2.9 V6 turbo, -480 hp
- 2.2 4 cyl diesel, 136 -210 hp
- 3.0 V6 diesel, 275-340 hp
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20141217/ANE/141219897/alfa-romeo-readies-high-performance-engines

To be unveiled June 24 2015 and production should start in April 2015 in Mirafiori.
http://www.autoedizione.nl/eerste-productie-nieuwe-alfa-romeo-start-april/

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Why would you want a Alfa badged Chrysler 200 with a pentastar?

DoLittle posted:

RWD

I do not believe the 200 is RWD. A better comparison might be a cut rate/smaller Ghibli.

"Devon, Backfires: “Twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6—based on Chrysler’s Pentastar?”
The Maserati’s block is cast in Chrysler’s Kokomo, Indiana, casting plant, but we’ve been told that the fundamental casting is different from the Pentastar. Also, we can definitively say it doesn’t sound like any Pentastar we’ve driven."
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2014-m...e-plus-queries/

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I believe the traditional rate is cambelt 3y/60 000 km and 1 wishbone/y (156 etc.). Originally it was supposed to be 120 000 km cambelt... Ooops. Oh, and 2.2 JTS camchain (blame GM) every 100 000 km and M32 gearbox every 100k Km (blame GM). Not to forget the 159 steering rack (GM?).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I believe that if the the PSA variants of the Fiat Ducato (RAM Promaster) are included in the count it is easily the best selling large van in Europe. They are cost efficient, spacious and reliable, but not quite as comfortable to drive as the Mercedes and VAG competition. Ford Transit is the best selling large van in Europe if the Ducato variants are counted separately.

Here are the Fiat, Peugeot and Citroën versions in front of one of the factories that builds them:

The 2014 model is a bit better looking:

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 5, 2015

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

fknlo posted:

Is Alfa or Fiat still doing a version of the Miata? Might get to see the Abarth engine in there if they are!

Last I heard it was going to be Fiat 124 Spider. I has been a while since I've heard anything, though. If it ever comes, you can bet it will be small displacement turbo. Probably the 170 hp 1.4.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Tekne posted:

They're bringing back the Dino.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ferrari-dino-return-v6-engined-sports-car

The pentastar V6 sure is going places.

Does any of you have more details how much the Maserati twin-turbo 400 hp V6 shares with the US pentastars? How many of the parts are interchangable?

The block is apparently similar, but with thicker cylinder walls and larger oil passages (http://www.pentastars.com/engines/ferrari.php). Some sources say the blocks are cast in US but assembled at Maranello.

The cylinder heads are apparently a Ferrari design made in Italy (http://allparnews.com/index.php/2013/05/report-maserati-v6-comes-from-pentastar-engine-22322).

I guess the soon to be announced 500 hp Ferrari-Maserati-Alfa version will be a further development. Alfa has some tradition of custom cylinder heads on more mass produced blocks. The 16v Alfa 1.6-2.0 TS and JTS engined had Alfa cylinder heads on Fiat blocks. The 2.2 and 3.2 JTS engines in 159 and Brera had Alfa cylinder heads on GM cylinder blocks.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
RWD Alfa Giulia in final bodywork: http://www.autoedizione.com/alfa-giulia-in-its-final-bodywork/

Very short overhangs, driver sits quite far back.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
VAG does not have any suitable mass market RWD platform for Alfa and it is highly unlikely (it is uneconomical) that it would create one just for Alfa. With VAG Alfa would just be a rebadged Audi. The same front heavy, pig nosed AWD cars we already have. The same way Skoda and Seat are rebadged VWs. Custom platforms used in Lambo/R8 and Bugatti are not affordable in the lower margin business of mass market model.

This is also the reason that Alfas for the last 20 years have been based on FWD Fiat platform. There has not been a business case to made for Fiat to develop a RWD platform just for Alfa. Only through the Chrysler deal deal FCA gained the RWD volume to make a proper Alfa revival a viable business proposition.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

http://www.autoedizione.com/scoop-alfa-romeo-giulia-in-the-metal/

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
510 hp, 3.9 secs to 100 km/h

quote:

Rear or four-wheel drive is more than just a tribute to the most authentic roots of the Alfa Romeo legend: it is also a technical solution which guarantees high performance and astounding fun.

State-of-the-art, innovative engines: a six-cylinder 510 HP, inspired by Ferrari technologies, the brand's new powertrain reference, will be introduced on the Quadrifoglio version.

Performance is thrilling: from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds.

Perfect weight distribution (50/50 across the two axles), sophisticated suspensions (the front is an Alfa Romeo exclusive) and the most direct steering on the market.

Unique, exclusive technical solutions, like Torque Vectoring for outstanding stability control, Integrated Brake System for considerably reducing braking distance and Active Aero Splitter for active high-speed downforce management.

Alfa Romeo Giulia combines extraordinary engine performance and the ample use of ultralight materials, like carbon fibre, aluminium, aluminium composite and plastic, to obtain the best weight-to-power ratio (lower than 3kg/hp).

quote:

The best weight-to-power ratio

To obtain an excellent weight-to-power ratio (remarkably lower than 3kg/hp), Alfa Romeo Giulia combines extraordinary engine performance and the ample use of ultralight materials throughout. For example, carbon fibre was chosen for the propeller shaft, the bonnet and the roof and aluminium was picked for the engine, brakes, suspension (including front domes and front and rear frames), in addition to many other body components, such as the doors and the wings. Furthermore, the rear crossmember is made of aluminium composite and plastic.

In order to decrease the total weight, the braking system was tweaked using aluminium elements and carbon ceramic discs and the seats have a carbon fibre structural frame. Despite all this weight optimisation, the car boasts the best torsional rigidity in its class to guarantee quality over time, acoustic comfort and handling even in conditions of extreme stress.

Videos:

http://video.alfaromeopress.com/p/it/en/alfaromeo/post/30783

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVrhbj9ds3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umjqhMgD3IQ

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 24, 2015

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Edit: can't quite make out the new badge, but what's up with the iron cross just below the A pillar

New logo:

Quadrifoglio verde:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrifoglio_Alfa_Romeo

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 24, 2015

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

Any larger/high resolution pictures of the interior?

Alfa Giulia QV: 2.99 kg/hp (6.59 lbs/hp)
Charger Hellcat 2.93 kg/hp (6.45 lbs/hp)

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Short history of Alfa:

Pre-WW2:

Best, most expensive coachbuilt hypercars money can buy. Fastest production cars in market, all-aluminium DOHC engines, fully independent suspension etc. Competition is Bugatti etc.

Post- WW2:

Money is tight in Europe and to selling very expensive cars is difficult. Alfa moves down in price range and inroduces unibody cars. Trucks and army-jeeps are also built. All of them with DOHC all-aluminium engines.

Alfa moves further down the price range with introduction of Giulietta in 1954, introducing the concept of compact, sporty, premium sedan to the market. The model is quite a hit in sedan, coupe and spider forms. These are still expensive cars. Like Jaguar expensive.

In 1963 BMW also decides that sporty, compact, premium cars are a viable business and introduces the 1500. Alfa releases Giulia with 5-speed transmission and 4-wheel disc brakes. Larger than Giulietta. Giulia in sedan, coupe and spider forms competes head-to-head with BMW Neue-Klasse and '02 until the early 70's.

In early 70's Alfa introduces the Alfetta platform with rear mounted transaxle, inboard rear brakes de Dion rear and torsion bar front suspension. "Busso" all aluminium V6 is introduced in Alfa 6 in 1979. By 1980's financial problems are severe and product development consist mostly of combining existing components to come up with cars that appear more modern. Major quality issues. The last major developments are a VVT (a first in production vehicles?) version of the DOHC engine built since 1954 and a new TwinSpark cylinder head for the same engine. Alfa had 8-valve, 8-plug and 16-valve, 4-plug prototypes but for some inexplicable reason they decided to go with the TwinSpark...

Fiat era 1986->

Alfas are increasingly built from Fiat parts bin with custom bodywork, engines and suspension components. Initially engines are still based on the all-aluminium Alfa engines. The 8-valve TwinSpark is finally replaced with a 16-valve that uses Fiat/Lancia bottom end and custom twin-spark cylinder head. The Alfa Busso V6 is updated with 24v cylinder heads and is built in 3.2 litre form until 2010 for the GT. This is the last non-parts bin engine in Alfas.

Alfa 156 is introduced in 1997. It is very pretty compared to the competition, very nice to drive and sells quite well, bringing Alfa out of the death row. Still unbeatable value in the used car market because no-one wants used Alfas (If you do your own timing belts. And it is not rusty. And... :) ).

The 159/Brera/Spider are a result of the ill-fated Fiat-GM co-operation. Petrol engines are GM EcoTecs with custom cylinder heads (crap), GM transmissions (crap), many components are shared with Opel and Saab. The results are very pretty but heavy cars that are not quite as exciting to drive as 156 and it derivatives.

After the 156 era Alfa has been in life support with Fiat based compact hatchbacks Mito and Giulietta. Fiat has no market share in D and E segments and no volume or money to justify development custom platforms for Alfa/Lancia.

Marchionne/Chrysler era:

When the Chrysler merger becomes a possibility in 2009, Marchionne sees an opportunity to move Alfa to higher-marging premium market. With Chrysler, Fiat would have the volume to build suitable RWD platforms. Almost all then-current Alfa development projects are suspended and the brand is held alive with minimum effort, while completing the Chrysler deal and preparing for an ambitious relaunch of the brand in the premium market (think BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) with an all-new RWD platform.

Edit: TL/DR: Basically Marchionne is trying use the volume provided by the Chrysler deal to make Alfa the direct BMW competitor it was in the 70's and trying to make everyone forget what happened between 1980-2010.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 28, 2015

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There are rumors that the new Alfa Giulia QV reached 200 (or 199.47) mph in Nardo. Should be a bit faster on a flat rouad.
http://www.alvolante.it/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-2015-al-nurburgring-342066
http://www.autoedizione.com/top-speed-alfa-giulia-quadrifoglio-well-over-300kmh/

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
CAR magazine quotes Alfa Giulia head designer:

quote:

‘The V6 is a ground-up build, twin turbos, 90 degree bank'
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/alfa-romeo/seven-surprises-on-new-alfa-romeo-giulia-revealed-by-chief-engineer/

If the angle is correct it is certainly not a derivative of the Pentastar V6.

The 90-degree angle is quite unusual for a V6. Usually that happens when you take a V8 and remove two cylinders. I wonder how closely related the Giulia QV V6 engine is to the Ferrari 488 V8:

Ferrari 488:
Displacement: 3.9 x 6/8 = 2.925
Power: 670 hp x 6/8 = 502.5

Giulia QV:
Displacement: 2.9 or 3.0 depending on the source
Power: 510 hp