Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Coredump posted:

Can one of these small rwd sportscars ever have more than 200 whp? One can only hope.

S2000 don't count cuz lol we forgot the torque. And the rx8 got the gas mileage of a v8 mustang for the power of a v6 before anyone brings those two up.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/ :colbert:

Is anyone else excited for the 2015 Genesis sedan? I want to see some actual pictures, not just renderings.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

God, that's a hot car. Why couldn't they make the Equus look like that?

Edit: Do the wheels seem a little smaller than in the renderings?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeez, you guys are picky.

Better?

Edit:

I'm not sure if this is a comedy option or not: http://www.aspidcars.com/eng/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 13, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks nice and all, but I'm sorry. An SUV will never feel luxurious to me. Utility is in the name, and even Land Rovers make me feel like I'm working when I drive them.

Edit: The center console makes it look like the cockpit of a spaceship.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 14, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For some stupid reason, car manufacturers think that extremely aggressive looking cars are a niche market that only rednecks and Lamborghini owners fill. It's bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The front 3/4 is the Acura's best angle to be honest, it's no worse looking than the Audi to me. It's the weird blob rear end is another matter.

I had to check and was surprised at how well the LS actually sells, for a car that's basically 8 years old with less horsepower than a Mustang GT. The LS600h has to be the most uncompelling 6 figure car on the market though, for $30k over the regular model you get about 40 extra HP and that's...it? What does it do that the regular version doesn't? Even the fuel economy isn't particularly better.

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus. They get to lord it up over all their friends at the country club, while still having that cognitive dissonance that comes with owning a hybrid with terrible gas mileage. "Sure, I just foreclosed on some poor schmuck's house on Christmas. But I drive a hybrid, so I'm a good person!" :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Bentleys are just rebadged Volkswagens. :smug:

FTFY.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Cadillac's advertising has been pretty good the past few years, but that ad just comes off as some purestrain jingoism.

The Ford one is try-hard as gently caress, but it's fairly cute.

The sad thing is that the Cadillac commercial is genius in that it plays to their target audience - WASPs that think they have money because they earned it, Goddamnit! All those lazy bastards in their econoboxes don't deserve it, and are (literally) going to hell for not working hard enough. Because Jesus was a true capitalist, dontcha know?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was reading this and about 4 paragraphs in, I started thinking "Is this just a rant about government regulations? What the hell is the point of this?" And then I scrolled down.

quote:

© Copyright 2014 The Weekly Standard LLC - A Weekly Conservative Magazine & Blog. All Rights Reserved.

:freep:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sadi posted:

Is ford still using as400? God I hate that program.

It's not a program, it's an OS. IBM basically makes all of it's money off of POWER processors to run the thing.

There's a reason they made this beast:

quote:

POWER8 is designed to be a massively multithreaded chip, capable of handling 96 hardware threads simultaneously. The chip makes use of very large amounts of on- and off-chip eDRAM caches, and on-chip memory controllers enable very high bandwidth to memory and system I/O. An embedded on-chip power management microcontroller based on a PowerPC 405 with 512 KB of dedicated SRAM monitors the entire chip and can regulate voltages through 1764 integrated voltage regulators on the fly.[2][3] For most workloads, the chip is said to perform two to three times as fast as its predecessor, the POWER7.[4]

The chip is fabricated by a 22 nm silicon on insulator (SOI) process using 15 metal layers, consists of 4.2 billion transistors[8] and is 650 mm2 large.

The link between the POWER8 chip and the Centaur is a 9.6 GB/s with 40 ns latency. It contains 16 MB of eDRAM which can be used as L4 cache by the processor. Each POWER8 can be linked to up to eight Centaur chips for an aggregated 128 MB L4 cache and 230 GB/s sustained and 410 GB/s peak memory bandwidth in and out of the processor.[1]

A POWER8 chip has 12 cores and 96 MB eDRAM L3 cache, 8 MB per core. The chip can also utilize an up to 128 MB off-chip eDRAM L4 cache using Centaur companion chips. The on-chip memory controllers can handle 1 TB RAM and 230 GB/s sustained memory bandwidth. The on-board PCI Express controllers can handle 48 GB/s of I/O to other parts of the system.

The cores are designed to handle clock rates between 2.5 and 5 GHz.[3]

:pcgaming:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Voltage posted:

I saw someone roll up to the laundromat in a fully decked out brand spankin new 550i GT on rims, just thought it was a funny juxtaposition. Can't afford a place with a washing machine, but a $900/mo lease? No biggie.

I just seriously don't get the sheer amount of cars BMW has now - especially the new 4 series gran coupe. So a 4 door version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version. Right.

A year ago, I lived in an upscale apartment building downtown. I was in the cheapest apartment they had ($1100/mo), and they went as high as $3k/mo. This is in Buffalo, so not exactly an expensive area. None of the apartments had washing machines, and most of the cars in the parking lot were expensive. Most people in the building wore dry clean only stuff for the most part and had a service pick up their underwear and casual clothes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

For reference, the new Z06 is bested only by the following bits of exotica: the Ferrari LaFerrari, the McLaren P1, the Porsche 918 Spyder, the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, the Lamborghini Aventador and the Ferrari FF.

I assume they mean by horsepower here. And uh... they missed quite a few.

• 2010 Noble M600 — 650 hp at 6,800 rpm
  • 2003 Ferrari Enzo — 651 hp at 7,800 rpm
  • 2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce — 661 hp at 6,500 rpm
  • 2010 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series — 661 hp at 5,400 rpm
  • 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 — 662 hp at 6,500 rpm
  • 2010 Pagani Zonda Cinque — 669 hp at 7,000 rpm
  • 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO — 671 hp at 8,250 rpm
  • McLaren F1 LM — 680 hp at 7,800 rpm
  • 2007 Gumpert Apollo S — 690 hp at 6,700 rpm
  • 2012 Pagani Huayra — 730 hp at 6,300 rpm
  • 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive — 740 hp
  • Lamborghini Veneno — 740 hp
  • 2012 Aston Martin One-77 — 750 hp at 8,000 rpm
  • 2005 Saleen S7 Turbo — 750 hp at 6,500 rpm
  • 2007 Ruf CTR3 — 750 hp at 7,100 rpm
  • 2013 HTT Plιthore LC-750 — 750 hp at 6,750 rpm
  • 2013 Gumpert Apollo S — 750 hp at 6,000 rpm
  • 2006 Koenigsegg CCX — 806 hp at 6,900 rpm
  • 1999 TVR Cerbera Speed 12 — 880 hp at 7,250 rpm
  • Spania GTA Spano — 900 hp at 6,300 rpm
  • 2013 Koenigsegg Agera — 960 hp at 7,100 rpm
  • 2005 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 — 1,001 hp at 6,000 rpm
  • 2008 Koenigsegg CCXR — 1,004 hp at 6,900 rpm
  • 2006 Bristol Fighter T — 1,012 hp at 5,600 rpm
  • 2013 Koenigsegg Agera S — 1,030 hp at 7,100 rpm
  • 2007 Zenvo ST1 — 1,100 hp at 6,900 rpm
  • 9ff GT9-R — 1,120 hp at 6,400 rpm
  • 2011 Koenigsegg Agera R — 1,140 hp at 7,100 rpm
  • 2004 Lotec Sirius — 1,200 hp at 6,300 rpm
  • 2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport — 1,200 hp at 6,400 rpm
  • 2012 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse — 1,200 hp at 6,400 rpm
  • 2013 Hennessey Venom GT — 1,244 hp at 6,600 rpm
  • 2009 SSC Ultimate Aero — 1,287 hp at 6,075 rpm

But, you know, who's counting?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Just wait, two years from now Japanese cars will be relative shitheaps coasting along on a reputation for engineering excellence built decades in the past and everyone but Toyota fanboys in denial will recognize the Koreans as the global leaders in automotive engineering excellence.

Better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Propaganda Bob posted:

The 2015 Mustang configurator is up. Performance pack EcoBoost with the 3.55 rear end is 28k. GTs start at 32. No more Grabber Blue though :(

But you can get it in Jag Green. loving sold.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 13, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Is it me or does the back end have something very Porsche-like going on. I don't mean in the sense of "looks like x crossed with y" but more of, this Mustang is closer to proper sports car proportions than pervious generations.

It really does. I never thought I'd want a mustang. :flashfap:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I would give my left nut for an automatic (or DCT) Abarth. My wife absolutely will not let me have a manual car, so my choices of hot hatches are limited to... uh... the MINI Cooper S, I guess?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Seriously. Why does it matter what your car is?

She has to be able to drive it, and doesn't want to learn.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The next 500 Abarth will have an automatic as an option, and apparently it works pretty well. No flappy paddles, though, if you happen to like that sort of thing and don't want to reach down to the console to change gears. Note that it's down by three horsepower but gains thirteen pound-feet of torque over the manual version.

You are my new favorite person.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

My wife and I are only interested in manuals and as such both have manual transmission vehicles.

Not to make blanket statements about relationships and the right way to have them, but I can't imagine the person I was with just flat out refusing that I get something I want because they are unwilling to learn. I'd imagine it can't be very important to you either, rather than some sheepish "Oh OK dear" as you sign on the dotted line for a slush box, wife angrily looking on impatiently annoyed that you didn't put the toilet seat down when you were done using it.

To be quite honest, I'd have to learn, too. I'd be willing to since everyone talks about how it's the only way to drive, but I don't really know what I'm missing. :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Devyl posted:

You're missing out on a lot, both good and bad. Yeah, learning a manual transmission sucks at first. You stall out frequently, get frustrated, and wonder why you even wanted a stick in the first place. Then everything clicks. You no longer stall out. You shift when you are ready and not when the car thinks it's appropriate. You also begin to develop heightened awareness of the cars around you and realize that it's just more fun driving a standard. Also you get to join the roughly 3% of the population who can drive manuals.

That honestly sounds like a lot of effort just to make angry vroom-vroom noises and go :jeb: on the onramps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a good skill to have in a "just in case" thing.

If you needed me to drive your car for you in an emergency, maybe you should have bought one with a proper transmission. :smug:

I'm sure I'll learn some day (this is a lie), but I don't know anyone with a manual car that can teach me and the fact still stands that my wife has to be able to drive my car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I've been driving stick exclusively since 2005 and I still stall out all the time :downsbravo:

Well not ALL the time, maybe once or twice a week. It happens.

I'd be worried about grenading the transmission (or clutch plate) on my brand new car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Handbrake turns are like a Triple Baconator. I'm not saying they shouldn't exist, but the only people I see use them probably shouldn't be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Well, the base model GLA pricing has been announced at $31,300.

Be prepared to see these absolutley loving everywhere.

This is the only CUV I've ever seen that doesn't look like a turd. It's basically a hatchback with a high beltline.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

Isn't there a CLA hatchback already? I assume no one is going off-roading in a GLA so I don't understand the advantage of this over a hatchback CLA.

This is the only MB hatchback available in the US:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B

Edit: The car you're thinking of is the A45 hatch, and is only available in Europe.

:suicide:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 29, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

That Colorado is loving enormous. Just for reference, the shortest variant is 208 inches, which is as long as a 7th-gen (mid-80s) long-bed Ford F-150. That gives you roughly 8 inches to work with in a standard 18-foot parking spot. The longer versions are 213 and 225 inches. Even the 2WD version is 5 inches taller than the Ford 4WD fullsize. Spec pages generally don't list bed length but I'd bet that's way higher as well. Yet bed length in the longest version barely reaches to where the short bed was on a mid-80s Toyota Hi-Lux, a much smaller truck.

After much research, I have discovered what the typical Texan wants in a vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Somewhere in America some overfunded police force must get one of these. :911:

Just one? :raise:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you're all forgetting about this.

:colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Any word on potential price points? I would seriously consider that for my next car instead of my current plan for an entry-mid level luxobarge.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

The Focus ST already costs more than a V6 Premium Mustang, I'd expect it to cost about the same as a Mustang GT Premium honestly.

So 35ish? I'd be okay with that. :getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

This will still be dominated by the same pony cars. So the Hellcat weighs 4000 lbs and has 707 horsepower, can you point out to me a 2000 lb car with 350?

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=85140

v:shobon:v

Edit:

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=89408

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

('15 Mustang EB)

Looks like the turbo is running out of steam at 5k as is. Tune and exhaust will help, but getting to GT power levels is going to require a replacement turbo. Its undersized (and twin-scroll) to help with turbo lag.

It's fine for 99% of driving any normal person does. All the torque comes in at 3500, which is where you want it on the road. A tune or larger turbo would ruin the car any time you're not on the track or the drag strip.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

I would think if you tried to get it to spool faster, you'd just wind up with bent rods. Dat torque climb. :getin:

Does it have launch control? I feel like the entire reason to put $25k down on this car is stop lights and onramps. And I'm okay with that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Hmm, wife really wants a new car. Maybe I'll look at the Ecoboost Mustang.

Also this sounds promising:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_ford_shelby_mustang_gt350_to_get_5_2_liter_flat_plane_crank_v_8.html

Focus RS with AWD and 350hp? Yes please.

Damnit Ford, stop making me want to buy all your cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

El Scotch posted:

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

Waaaaaaaaant.

There's no chance in hell I can afford this, but I want it so bad. :stare::fh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If there's one thing you can always count on, it's Americans not understanding statistics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're all wrong. Volvo semitrucks usually last about 1.5 million miles. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This conversation has led me to lookup the different classes of trucks... and I finally learned the naming scheme behind ford trucks (besides bigger number = bigger). Goddamnit, I'm so dumb. :doh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tommychu posted:

GM... customer in their right mind....

Come again?

MonkeyNutZ posted:

According to Enrico Fermi 2015 Miata will have 10 wheels, 1 wheel drive, weigh 1,000lbs, have a 1,000cc engine making 100hp, and cost $10,000.

It also seats one and gets 10 mpg.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 6, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd probably take the K900, TBQH.

And then trade it in for a base model Genesis sedan and a Fiat Abarth.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That front fascia is ugly as balls.