Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I really like the latest bodystyle of Lancer. I'm just sad that Mitsubishi made it and not Mazda. That last gen 6 was loving ugly as balls.

*drives off in gen 1 NC Miata moonbuggy*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

angryhampster posted:

Yeah but they look drat sharp with just a little bit of touch-up.

That does look sharp! The second pic you posted reminds me of the old TL type S. Man those were some good looking cars. It's a shame Acura has lost the plot and made cars with hobart meat slicers for front ends.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phone posted:

Acura's naming scheme blows rear end. Much like their car lineup.

Bring back the Legend!

Or the Integra (poo poo, even the TSX and the old TL. Those cars were loving good looking in 2005)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mange Mite posted:

BMW i3

Check out the seats:

Too bad the i3 looks like a vomit covered poo poo stain on the outside.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

angryhampster posted:

I loved the red color and easy-to-read typeface on my Mazda6:

I really loved everything about that car. Hated getting rid of it. The engine suddenly consuming 3+ quarts of oil in 4000 miles scared the hell out of me though.

I loved the EL version of that in my Mazda 6 V6 Grand Touring. However, I had just come from a Miata of the same era. The thing the miata does that's just lovely is the cruise control indicator. When you turn on the cruise system, a yellow 'cruise' light illuminates. When you set your speed, it changes color to green. On the mazda 6, the cruise system indicator illuminates yellow, and when you set a speed, *another* light comes on in a different location in green, but the system light is still illuminated yellow. Awful. it's a :spergin: nitpick, but really it just means the Miata is the best car ever, ever.

e: also, the turning radius of the v6 mazda 6 could be compared to an aircraft carrier it was so hilariously huge.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 10, 2014

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

metachronos posted:

What model is this on? Looks great.

Volvo v60 sport wagon by reverse image search

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

I don't think anyone but BMW does this any more outside of dealer installed options. Everyone else seems to have a few packages and that's it. Want HID's? Hope you enjoy, nav, a sunroof and upgraded audio to go along for a mere $3k! Want a manual? Hope you don't want any options at all because those packages only come with the automatics!

I hated that about the Ford Focus in the US. SEL is the trim I want because the car looks nicer and has some nice creature comforts, automatic only. SE and lower have manual available. But gently caress me if I want to row my own and have some toys and not be stuck with that piece of poo poo DPS6 transmission.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I may sound like a luddite, but I'd love it if Honda would stop shoving this hybrid poo poo down our throats.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Since we're all learning about the displacement and power of all these Ford products, did anyone hear anything about what's going on with the ND miata drivetrain? Have Mazda posted anything about it yet?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Everyday Lurker posted:

Is it just me or have used Altimas taken the mantle of "Buy Here Pay Here Fodder" from the Mitsubishi Galant?

I think so. In Houston it's usually the various bloated iterations of that thing you see blasting down the freeway being a minesweeper for cops for some reason. A lot of them look so raggedy because I'm willing to bet the owners can barely make payments. I usually see them riding on three chrome 20s and one spare, bald. Also they always look rear end-low. Why does the rear suspension always look so worn out, like 4runners used to do?

I dunno Cornholio, I've always found the Altima to be a 'why do they make this when they still make the Maxima' when they first released them in the mid-nineties. I've always found them an unattractive car as well.

Along those lines I was passing a newish Sentra and was surprised at the size of the thing. I guess the Versa being sold means they can bloat the other three cars above it in the lineup. Man, why does Nissan make such...inflated looking vehicles these days? (Infinity too) The late 80's Maxima was so cool (and very similar to the late 80's camry) looking. I remember riding in the back seat of one and seeing the 4DSC (4 door sports car) sticker in the window.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 20, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

Do you know how many people will be shopping trucks this week because of that ad? Dude, girls will think I'm hot if I have a truck!

It's kept Red McCombs on top for like 40 years now down in Texas. Texas women generally do think you're not much of a man without a truck.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

That works fine with the functionality built into my phone - not sure why it all needs to be replicated (and invariably replicated worse) by the car itself when all it really needs to do is act as a glorified bluetooth headset.

Having just gone from a 2012 focus to a 2008 miata...I miss sync. I miss sync a whole loving lot. I wish I'd gotten the focus in a manual because I'd still have it. That was a drat useful car and the miata is cold as gently caress in winter. Having to run a cable from the back of the stereo through the center console and into the cupholders just so I can hear my ipod was enough. But now I've got to manage the thing while shifting and looking down and to my right into the cupholder to use it. same for the phone. Oh yeah, and I have to set my phone next to the gearshift to use pandora through the factory radio. I won't be upgrading the headunit because I like having an intact convertible top; yes, people still steal radios. I miss being able to click a butan and say 'play song gay bar' and have it play my song. I'm more distracted trying to do poo poo the old fashioned way than just using the really well implemented voice commands in sync.

On top of that, the miata just gets terrible gas milage by comparison. I'm lucky to get 21 mpg while the focus did 25-36 all day long. Sync has its issues, but man do you miss having all that stuff when it's gone. The miata is a great car, but holy poo poo as a daily driver the focus was so much easier to live with. Too bad I'm too poor to participate in the focus RS funtimes. I feel like I get priced out of everything these days :(

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

A simple Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the factory stereo's AUX port and a modern phone will solve almost all of that.

Any recommendations would be welcome :-) I have looked on amazon but there's like a hojillion of them and picking one that's goon approved would be swell.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blk posted:

BMW i3s - I see several every single day (amazing to me, at least, because they are so unfathombly ugly)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks those look like a rolling blue waffle. Who the gently caress okayed that design? Of all the cool boxes on wheels designs that could have been, why did BMW pull another bangle out of their rear end and ruin something that could have been good?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Holy poo poo, low gas prices means the bottom fell out of the used prius market. gently caress yes, cheap transport for when oil rockets back up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As someone that's lived in Texas for the past sixteen years... the people that buy trucks like those aren't the kind of people that hang out in these forums. The guys that buy those tend to have their whole identity wrapped up the truck they drive. A big, garish piece of poo poo like that is gonna have those black lone star wheels with big meaty tires, a minor body lift, aftermarket halo lights(bonus HID action!), truck nuts, and a salt life sticker on the back window.

AKA: A BroDozer

Found a pic of the typical driver of those [0 RAM 0] drivers:

I know this because I see these douchebags riding 2 inches off my back bumper on the freeway trying to punk out 'that human being driving the miata'

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 15, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kill me now posted:

Kia released a few teaser shots of their Concept car for the Geneva Motors show and I now have a tremendous car boner

Sure hope they start making this around the time my current Optima lease is up in 2 years

and that they come up with a less dumb name then Sportspace

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/kia-sportspace-concept-previews-new-optima-estate

Dodge made that a few years back. Nobody in the US bought it either. If they bring it here, nobody will buy it because 'beltline too high, roof too low, floor too high, no cargo room. Same thing that happened to the magnum. Either that or people still think kia makes poo poo (and Bajaha's experience with his Velostomy Turdo has me thinking hyundai/kia still don't know how to make cars properly)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

Every year I go on the Porsche website and see how much I could pay for a car with less horsepower than a V6 Mustang.

So I guess what I am saying is that $150k isn't much these days.

Christ, that's an ugly color.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SouthLAnd posted:

The SRT Jeep GC is pretty crazy as-is, but I get a tingly feeling just thinking of the AWD hardware they'd use to put 700 horsepower to all four wheels. And how awesome it would be to tow my ski-doos to 60mph in 4 seconds.

Doesn't chryler's idiocy of putting the exhaust dead center on (the SRT8 GC) kinda preclude the ability of towing?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What the hell is going on at Honda? That thing looks like they raided the stick-on aisle at auto zone. Fender flares from a sti? Check. Gills from a Z3/mutated fish frog? Check. Stuck on rear flares? Check.

Will whomever designed the s2000 please come back? Remember when hondas all resembled that car? Late 1990's. 6th gen accord, ek civics, the cr-v. gently caress, even the Accord coupe had a nice rear end.

Now honda just makes wierd, bulbous, ugly poo poo like the crosstour.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phy posted:

I always thought it was trying to remind you of the NSX.

Baller on a budget

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know it was stupid to buy a car in it's first model year, but I did. I bought a 2012 Focus Hatchback SEL with the powershift DCT. That transmission was so jerky and shuddery in anything but sport manual mode. When I was using the buttons on the side of the shifter to shift and making it hold the gear, it was perfect. It only drove well when I was driving in anger. Otherwise it was like driving with someone new to driving and shifting a manual, but it never learned or got better. It would drive great at low temperatures, but when it was hot, the thing would be such a goddamn nightmare. I live in Houston, it's rarely cool here.

I took it to the dealership at 30,000 miles since by this time it was shuddering into gear in 1st and shuddering into 2nd and I didn't want to deal with this poo poo out of warranty. I did my homework on focus fanatics and presented them with all the relevant TSB's. It would seem that the input shafts into the transmission had poorly designed seals that would allow transmission fluid into the clutch packs and that would cause clutch judder.

They replaced the clutch pack and input shaft seals and reflashed/relearned the transmission. It drove great for about 3 months. One day I guess a drop of oil found its way onto the clutch at it was so incredibly bad. It was like I was driving with permanent axle tramp just to get going from a stop. And just like that, it went back to normal the same day. It never did that again, but that was it for me. I sold the car at 37,000 miles and bought a 2008 Miata GT with 6 speed manual. It was a huge adjustment going from such a useful car like that to basically a toy. It's the wrong move, but I wanted something simple. The better move would have been going from a DCT focus to a 5sp manual.

I say 5 sp and not the ST because I don't trust that Ford can engineer a turbo system any better than they can engineer that POS transmission. All I want is my hatchback bike wagon with that sync system (which I found worked really well if you give it a second) SE focus hatches are cheap as poo poo because they get hit with the same depreciation stick the DCT's do.

That DCT is a menace. I had it drop out of gear entirely and no power would go from the engine to transmission. Pulling onto a busy street and the transmission falling out of gear is a pants-making GBS threads event. The focus is still a fantastic car without that transmission and I'd love to see what a 5sp one drives and shifts like.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, since normally aspirated engines are going the way of the Dodo, what is toyota doing for fuel economy? Do they even sell a turbo anything? I remember the Supras and MR2s had timbos, but now I don't know anymore. Maybe they know the average toyota owner would slag a turbo in a hurry with how the appliance buying crowd treats cars.

E: I imagine that the certified pre-owned ultimate driving machines with turbos are going to be a shitshow in a few years. With as little maintenance as Aiden's first bimmer is gonna get during the lease period.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 9, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I get 41 in my C-Max hybrid. It's a good car with a bad reputation.

A bad reputation for what? I don't hear anything about the CMax. I'd like to drive one but I can't get over that it has like 3 front ends stacked on top of each other.

My grandparents have one and love it, but I've never asked them really much about it. Looks like the newer ones picked a front end and stuck with it. The early ones had the top grille from a focus and another grille from a fusion and I guess a third grille for the radiator or something.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Not so much the font, but the needles on the gauges look like babby's first playskool dials. I deal with analogue gages for precision machining all day, so fat rear end needles that cover 1/8th of the gage sweep is just stupid to me. It looks like a gage simulating an idiot light at this point.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

HotCanadianChick posted:

One of BMW's interior design cues is orange/red lighting on the center console and gauges (though a lot of the newer ones are moving towards white gauge backlights), and red lighting is pretty much the only thing that won't kill your night vision. It's way better for night driving than the night mode gimmick.

Let's all take a moment and just enjoy the awesome interior of the E46. I miss that stupid car so much for driving. Not so much for it's constant idiot-light fiesta. I swear I never owned that car for more than 24 hours with something not broken. My god that car could swallow up highway miles at triple digit speeds with so little drama. Never owned a car that would feel the same at 125 and 65. Truly the ultimate driving machine :smug:
e: also, pre-facelift coupes are the pinnacle of BMW design. I've never loved a car's lines like I love the e46 coupe up to 2002. Close second is the e92 coupe (335ci)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I miss more squared off cars like the e46 and to a lesser extent the e36 (what a terrible fall-aparty interior). Probably because as a kid in high school I wanted the Tamiya TA-02 with the Alfa 156 v6 TI DTM body on it, like so

:syoon:

I doubt we'll be seeing anything so blocky like that anymore. I miss cars with nice proportions and without all that swoopy poo poo down the sides like what BMW did when Bangle came along and all the Asian makes scrambled all over themselves to ape it. I somehow doubt the exterior styling of the Hyundai line will age very well, just look at the gen 1 Tiburon. What I'm saying is give me slab sided doors and gently caress flame surfacing. Example: IS300, IS250/350, BMW pre Bangle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

81 here. First car was a 91 cherokee, 2 door, 5sp manual 4.0 4x4 in metallic black cherry :smug:. Second car, 89 camry, blocky as all gently caress. Third car, 2003 protege, rounded blocky. gently caress, that Cherokee was a tough bastard and so was that camry. Fucker ran on 3 cylinders pissing coolant into the exhaust for a week. Old toyota is best toyota.

E: Man, thinking about that old jeep has me wishing I could find another one. It looked *just* like this

So many good Colorado memories. They called those "Rocky Mountain cadillacs" Back then :allears:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 13, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

quote:

The pre-facelift e46 was the first of the worst

Just look how wrong you are, just loving look

You clearly must be starving from being so blind you can't lift a fork to your mouth to loving feed yourself.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blk posted:

C+D has a rumor that the next CRZ will be less of a milquetoast hybrid and much more performance oriented

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-cr-z-rendered-may-ditch-hybrid-for-new-turbo-news

Given that Honda's idea of living on the edge is not rinsing the dishes before loading the dishwasher, I'll believe it when I see it.

Same here. What a disappointment that stupid, pooklip car that cr-z was. Hailed as the new crx and then it was a lovely 2 door insight.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

HEY VAPER posted:

I'll choose to ignore your selfquote and instead interpret that your point was we should all be driving NC Miatas, STI's etc. :v:

Done :smug:

The sightlines on this car with the top down are on the order of when I used to DD a motorcycle. I *love* this stupid useless car. It's right up there with the best/worst modern cars with regards to driving a moving pillbox with the top up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

HEY VAPER posted:

I'm constantly tempted to buy __insert_generation__ Miata and a Miata is the last thing I need in my life. I guess I eventually want to retire my e30 to weekend duty because I want to own it until the day you can't buy petrol, but I really ought to look at more practical cars. Like maybe a 928 or an AW11 or something. You know, practical daily drivers. Yeah I'm not very good at this.

I worked at a pizza place for like two weeks between real jobs and in that time talked a customer into taking me on a joyride in his Boss 302, if the GT350 is even a slight improvement it will be absolutely bonkers fun.

To be honest, I wish I had this as a fun car with something stupid and boring as a daily like a focus 5mt or a mazda 5. But alas, this will have to do. Heart of hearts, I'd love an e92 m3. What a loving machine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blk posted:

It looks like a moustache to me now. I can't unsee it.

:awesome: I wish I could afford a car that loving hot brand new

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think you meant...

gently caress that's still hot, did they ever sell the nukizer?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I had to scroll back up to the top of your post to double check you said lincoln and not chrysler 300 when I got to that side profile shot.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Uh, that's fuckin hot. :bravo: honda. I want to see this 5 door hatchback now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'd sell my 2008 NC MX-5 for something like that. Sweet high revving engine with a nice smooth shift and 30+mpg? Sign my rear end up. I hope they don't go full retard on the interior.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Neptr posted:

Would drive the poo poo out of a hot pink car

Same. I DD a miata though, so my case might be skewed :sissies:

I want that civic to make it to production largely intact. Maybe then there'll be civics on the road that aren't rolling roadblocks finally (along with corollas). If they are, at least the rear end will be nice to look at.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

PeterWeller posted:

Well sure the relatively old, inefficient and impractical NC sold poorly in 2014 when most customers are well aware that a replacement is around the corner.

I know you're joking, but seriously the NC gets such lovely milage for what it is. I drive it like a grandma, and I get 27 MPG. I drive it like it needs it's rear end whooped at every opportunity (like it should), and it gets 19 mpg. My old cherokee got that kind of mileage for gently caress's sake. Who cares, this car is fun as poo poo.

E: \/\/\/\/ I meant the 19MPG, not the 27, sorry. My driving is almost all city, so I'm just comparing my worst to the cherokee's best. My bad :kiddo:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I bet replacing all that cast Al after an accident is gonna be ludicrously expensive.The tech is cool, but i bet it's going to get fatigue cracks and all the dumb poo poo that comes with casting. I don't trust GM engineers to have ironed out all the bugs in that.