Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I just read the rumouring that Jaguar may be working on a new inline-six. :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I wish. She wouldn't go for one no matter how hard I tried.

Ew, gross.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have any other Fords used magnetic shocks before? That stood out to me too.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

You mean the 2016 lada 1200?

If it would actually be allowed on Canadian roads (and I had more than one parking spot) I'd be seriously tempted to get a Lada for shits and giggles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All you have to do to fix a broken Lada is hit it in the right spot with a mallet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I didn't notice a pricing announcement of the ATS-V, that could potentially be significant in the m3/m4 analysis.

E: I actually like the knob vs a normal auto stick; it looks sleeker and is less obtrusive. I don't know if there are any actual mechanical advantages or disadvantages between them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

davebo posted:

Am I just spoiled by Corvette aerodynamics or is 21mpg highway kind of garbage even for a 4k lbs sedan?

Edit: Nope, a regular v8 Charger weighs more, has way more power and is still getting 23mpg hwy.

Regular v8 charger has less hp than the SS; 370 vs 415.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Challenger has this (one) weird trick of sometimes looking huge and other times looking almost normal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cage posted:

I always used to think my car was kind of big until:

:stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The New Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang Could Start at $52,995

quote:

According to the folks at Horsepower Kings, the new Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang will carry a starting price of $52,995. That number comes from an unnamed Ford source with whom Horsepower Kings spoke at the recent Los Angeles Auto Show. This same unnamed sourced indicated that there will be a Tech Package that adds $2,995 to the final price, along with a Performance Package that doesn’t have a price connected to it yet.

When you look at the pricing of both recent and past Ford Mustang high performance models, this price of $52,995 seems perfectly reasonable. Also, the availability of both Tech and Performance packages with other recent Mustangs leads me to believe that all of this information is likely to be proven true in the near future. At $52,995, the new GT350 would be more expensive than the previous generation Mustang Boss 302 while still being thousands less expensive than the 662hp 2014 Mustang GT500.

Grains of salt, etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The gently caress are Lexus building their cars out of. :stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone who doubts whether Chryco really belongs down on the bottom of any quality comparisons needs only read DasVolk's thread about his Viper. If they can't even build their flagship good enough to keep the engine in one piece for 5000 miles, do you really want to roll the dice on their entry level models?

If they actually come through and give him, say, a new one as a replacement, I think they're actually doing quite well.

If they jack him around then gently caress 'em.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes but in the meantime, he's waiting to find out what will happen and also is deprived of the use of the car he's paid $80k+ for. Would you be happy if you bought a new car and ended up being stuck in a loaner/rental? He's still inconvenienced and out the use of his car for however long due to the engine failure.

I would be happy with a loaner or rental if they make good on fixing or replacing things promptly. If they can't manage that then, as I said, gently caress 'em.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How much I would love Ford to sell a sport sedan or shooting-brake outside Australia; something with a Coyote or that turbo straight-six and sedan or shooting-brake functionality.

(I'm still bitter we can't buy the SS in Canada)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dissss posted:

Did you seriously just refer to the Falcon as a 'sport sedan'?

My bad, I forgot it's Australia, where life is miserable and everything sucks. I shall immediately cease my jealousy that you are able to buy rear-wheel drive, V8 sedans that weigh less than 2 tons. I know, it's dreadful you have to put up with such motoring hell.

I know Australians are pining they can't buy a pig of a Taurus with a V6.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 10, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ford Focus RS will go global and come to North America

quote:

Ford currently sells an ST model as the sportiest Focus. It runs a turbocharged, 252-horsepower four-cylinder that's paired with a six-speed manual transmission. It also has chassis and design upgrades to reinforce its athletic dynamics. The most recent intel suggests that the new RS could use Ford's 2.3-litre turbo-four, tuned to anywhere from 325 to 350 hp. All-wheel drive is also rumoured to be part of the new RS formula.

:gerty:

Will they sell a Focus that is more powerful than a Mustang? I'm doubtful.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

It's probably going to cost what a 5.0 costs, they had better juice it up.

Fair point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cage posted:

Buy a mustang and a lovely 90s explorer 4x4 for the winter. Nothing mature about that and its plenty fun.

Some of us only have one parking spot. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I learned to drive on a 92' civic, man that car was fun. My old man didn't buy winter tires at the time and there was a wee bit of sliding around at times.

Good winter driving training though!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In other hot-hatch news, why can't we have this in North America? :argh:

362-HP Audi RS3 Sportback Revealed for Europe

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ilkhan posted:

One day I'll jump on the UK websites for Ford and VW and Audi and BMW and MB and check out what fun they get that we dont.

Fun wagons with big engines. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DoLittle posted:

Some information on the engine line-up of the upcoming Alfa RWD sedan:

- 2.0 4-cyl. turbo, 180-330 hp
- 2.9 V6 turbo, -480 hp
- 2.2 4 cyl diesel, 136 -210 hp
- 3.0 V6 diesel, 275-340 hp
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20141217/ANE/141219897/alfa-romeo-readies-high-performance-engines

To be unveiled June 24 2015 and production should start in April 2015 in Mirafiori.
http://www.autoedizione.nl/eerste-productie-nieuwe-alfa-romeo-start-april/

Pleeeeeeeeeease come to North America Canada.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 17, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

400+ hp Ferrari derived engine (probably derived in the sense they're both made of metal :frogdowns:), not Charger-huge in size and RWD sounds like a pretty good starting point to me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GT350 is stick only. :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

smr posted:

Guy I got a lift from work to the airport with had a Taurus and I was _appalled_ at how little side-to-side legroom there was in the passenger well. I couldn't get comfortable. Ditto with the Dodge Charger, at least the '13 rental I had once. Unreal that cars that huge can still be kind of uncomfortable.

My DD '13 Jetta? I fit fine in, and I'm a big guy. Wife's '12 Focus gets _slightly_ snug getting in/out but once in, just fine.

Ridiculous.

I felt similar when I got a lift in one of the current generation Escapes. The front seats felt so cramped compared to my previous generation Escape. Mine might be low-rent, but it's roomy and simple.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Why is ZF apparently such a paragon of reliability? You guys never knew anyone who had an E61 7-series or the contemporary Jaguar XJ?

As mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter how good a design is if it's built by a bunch of wombles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I really want to drive a CTS (and ATS) after reading so many reviews about how well they handle.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hope it's a NA-bound Ute far more than a Corvette. :sun:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SFH1989 posted:

I'm pretty sure the "mid engine Corvette coming soon" goes all the way back to the 60s.

I still want a Ute. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

At leas the factory tires on the Hellcat are somewhat streetable. GM was cancelling press events for the Z/28 at the slightest hint of rain because if you drive a Z/28 in the wet you will probably die.

As God intended, really.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Boss posted:

Welp guess it's time to fly over to Germany, buy an RS6 and go on the road trip of a life time to Singapore.

Sell the car. Rinse and repeat until I'm a millionaire.

Just buy two and have a buddy come with you. Bang.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm one of the people hoping the RS is AWD :( :(

Most publications seem to be writing about it as AWD like it's a confirmed fact; but I haven't seen it confirmed by Ford yet so... :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's also apparently this on the Ford side of things

:shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

2016 buick cascada

1.6 liter, 200hp, 206ft/lbs, and while that sounds impressive, remember that this car is nearly 4000lbs.

200hp, fwd, solid rear axle, 3800+lbs, and likely 40 grand. should sell like hotcakes.

That's what any good cruiser needs, a solid rear axle.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Certainly disappointing on the Fusion. While the 2.0EB is no slouch, throwing the 2.3EB in there would make an already great car amazing. It already handles extremely well and looks great, but making it 310hp, 320ftlbs would be icing on the cake. I'd have to consider trading my Fusion Ti if that happens someday soon.

Or they could stick the twin-turbo straight-six in the Fusion. :getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I enjoyed C&D's concluding lines about the 350R

quote:

We continue to be amazed that, in this heavily regulated era, major automakers can keep cranking out these sorts of bonkers track machines. The fact that Ford can take a vehicle as extreme as the Shelby GT350 Mustang and make it even more insane, and then sell it in showrooms next to Fiestas and Fusions, points to a bright and glorious future for all of us.

:911:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It'll be the Bort in Japan.

#racist

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm a big fan of Ford's decision to make it gas-only and RWD; saves weight, complexity and (one would think) cost.

Random thought: If Ford's getting into the magnetic shock thing, how much would it cost to add them to the RS? :getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"Hp/ton?"
"Alot :regd09: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm a weirdo because I actually really like the look and potential of the new Lexus GS F.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 13, 2015