Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
7 grand for a set of 4 rims isn't actually all that out there on cars in that price range. A set of 4 wheels on some Ferrari models can be twice as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Frozenphil lives his life a quarter mile at a time guys, who cares about poo poo like suspension geometry

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wait you guys actually want to see out of your cars what the gently caress is wrong with you

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
This inevitably happens to all market leaders at one point or another. You could kind of see it coming when they killed the Integra back in 2006. The company in general has lost its focus on what made them great in the first place.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the rear end end of that subbie looks like a saturn ion from that angle

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The Sonata or the Legacy? The Legacy's rear is barely visible.

the legacy from the midline back in that photo looks strikingly like an ion sedan:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
how the gently caress are you supposed to sit in that thing if you're over 5'6"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/253666/vws_baby_roadster_is_coming.html

2 door MR roadster with a TDI? I guess the platform is going to be shared with porsche as well, with a new 918 coming out. Either way, should be pretty freakin' sweet.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What the hell is up with rear windows?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Does that thing have suicide doors in the rear?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

??? The last photo shows the rear door pulling away in the traditional way.

Weird. The last photo didn't load up for me the first time on this page.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Christ, that is just about the ugliest motor vehicle this side of an aztek.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lazareth posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5660934/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Soo much fail.

Basically the Toyota/Subaru project the FT-86 is looking like its gonna be a Scion, and the Subaru version may not be available stateside.

$25 grand for a "spiritual" successor to the AE86? Toyota, much like BMW has completely lost the plot in regards to what actually made them successful in the first place.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

I'm not up on US prices - how much would a WRX 265, or genesis 3.8 cost compared to that?

The biggest problem is a $25K MSRP puts it squarely in V6 Mustang territory, which is also RWD.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not even talking about the Genesis Coupe, which would also be competing with the FT-86 in that price range.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That interior needs some walnut burl and it'll be complete.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

The new turbo Buick/Opel looks pretty loving awesome.

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2012/2012-buick-regal-gs-first-look.html

Don't know if I'm a fan of the bangle butt-esque chrome on the rear, but other than that it looks pretty good.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Has the New Beetle been on sale continuously since it was introduced? I haven't noticed many. Doubt this will make much of an impact.

You might say he gave it a fayzed butt.

I see a whole bunch of them around Wichita, in fact one of my co-workers drives one (that's hellaflushed out with 18" rims)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It looks a bit like a Tiburon to me from the side, and that front clip is pretty hideous in general.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The new 1 series hatch looks like a god drat Vibe/Matrix with a longer hood.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

How dare you not be at 9 & 3 all the time!

10 and 2 you heathen

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
what's up with the split spoiler on the hatch?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
These days I'd say anything under 2000 lbs is pretty god drat light

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think it's hard to do wood paneling these days because so many manufacturers use it to tart up their shitbox cars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
drat that Veloster turbo looks pretty nice.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The greenhouse on that little coupe thingy looks almost exactly like the greenhouse on a first gen neon coupe to me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Did someone hit it on the rear quarter panel?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's going around a banked corner?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That 3/4 front render looks awful. Everything else is kind of nice though so maybe it's just perspective?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I kind of have a feeling that if they made it a liftback the chassis would flex like mad.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Evanauto posted:

Vehicle Goatse.

Nope, that would be the Buick Rendezvous.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
M135i looks like a slightly less ridiculous clownshoe.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I get the stability control thing because hey, that's lifesaving tech without an easy substitute for most people. You can make arguments for stricter licensing requirements and people learning better car control, but let's face it, this is AMERICA god drat it and people got a right to drive whatever they want whenever they want and all of those ideas are D.o.A. Stability control is also not that expensive to implement.

The backup camera thing is retarded. It basically came about, if I remember correctly, because some congress person backed over their kid and killed them. How is it this difficult to both check the area around the vehicle before getting in and then to loving crane ya neck around to look backwards?

High beltlines aren't just due to SUV bumper heights, there's also a significant component of improved side impact protection standards which require a higher steel/glass ratio for an enclosure, regardless of impact height.

It's not just because this is America and people have a right to drive, it's because it's American and you have to drive to get anywhere unless you're lucky enough to live in a major metro area with decent public transportation. Once the ability to drive isn't an economic necessity for 90% of the American populace then we can start legislating stricter license requirements.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It looks like a spaceship from EVE.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hah, that Buick Park Avenue is just a current gen Impala with a fancy interior.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's on the Zeta platform, same as the Commodore and Caprice.

Fooled me. Tail lights look almost exactly the same along with the dash and a lot of the interior.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

The interior isn't world-beating or anything but it's not an Impala interior. This one is significantly larger, for one. In fact it shares no real similarities to the Impala at all.
Compare: 2010 Impala

Totally different in size, overall design, materials, trimming, vent placement, center stack, IP, controls, etc.

Tails are similar in that they're big corner blocks of red. They're also similar to the tails on the Crown Victoria or the old Ford Five Hundred or any other large, boring sedan. Again, not amazing, but considering it was originally designed to be sold as a Holden/Chevy and is meant to have boring styling, it looks normal to me.

Seriously, the Park Avenue design dates back to 2007 and is basically just a rebadged Holden Statesman, which is just like an Impala except for not sharing any parts, being several inches larger in every dimension, and also being RWD. Which is a huge difference. The styling is way different except for the general similarities of being conservatively styled and mostly boring.

Well now that I've been appropriately schooled on Zeta platform cars, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks! (not being a dick or anything)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Sorry if I came off aggressively. Certainly didn't mean it that way. I have a strange fascination with Australian cars because they represent the potential evolutionary outcome of the traditional big American car if that line hadn't been killed off in the 80s. Also, the forbidden fruit angle, since all most Aussies do is complain about them as cars for fleets and rednecks.

I also test drove a G8 once and liked it, but didn't end up buying it and now it's dead, too.

Nah its all cool.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A distinct lack of Jesus on that dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

grover posted:

No, that's what I want to see. Instead, we got a Giulietta that's larger and heavier and with softened suspension. There are worse cars out there, for sure, but is it too much to hope for the manufacturers to roll out actual light weight compact sporty cars with perky engines? Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'd love to see more manufacturers come out with small sporty cars like the Miata and BRZ/FR-S, but with inexpensive powerful engines like you can get on a $23 Mustang. Is that too much to hope for? Or will we forever be given econoboxes with body kits?

lmao if you think stuffing a 300HP motor in a chassis the size of a miata/brz while maintaining the handling qualities that make those cars fun to drive is even close to possible for the amount of money those econoboxes with body kits are going for.