Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

It would be nice if all these sporty cheap little economy cars were actually sporty. Instead of throwing a body kit on an elentra and calling it a day.

Is the new Dart a neon with a body kit, or is there more to it?

Hey, Neons with body kits were actually fairly sporty and do pretty well in low-level motorsports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

grover posted:

It would be nice if all these sporty cheap little economy cars were actually sporty. Instead of throwing a body kit on an elentra and calling it a day.
The Multiair 1.4L gets 39 MPG and makes 160hp/184ft lbs, which is pretty respectable for a car that is first and foremost an economy car. Those power figures are north of the Elantra you mentioned as well as offering a six-speed manual or a clutched automatic. They are also comparable to the Focus, but with better torque and economy figures.

I'm not sure how it handles, but on paper, it seems to be a very sport offering relative to its peers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Devyl posted:

I'm pretty opposed to the car in general, as it's your run-of-the-mill "car by manufacturer" relying on a legacy of a famous name.

Counterpoint, it's the first time I've felt excitement over a Chrysler product in I don't know how long because cars need cool names like the Demon, RoadRunner, and Valiant. Not the Mercelexiniti GQEX42069. It's a sign things are moving back to where they belong.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

oRenj9 posted:

The Multiair 1.4L gets 39 MPG and makes 160hp/184ft lbs, which is pretty respectable for a car that is first and foremost an economy car. Those power figures are north of the Elantra you mentioned as well as offering a six-speed manual or a clutched automatic. They are also comparable to the Focus, but with better torque and economy figures.

I'm not sure how it handles, but on paper, it seems to be a very sport offering relative to its peers.
A friend of mine has a Veloster. He said the suspension came straight off the elantra, and is super-soft with lots of roll, but he liked it because it's comfortable on the crappy quality roads around here. 160hp isn't completely anemic, but isn't exactly rockin' with power, either. It may look like a sports car, but it isn't. Which is the feeling I get from a lot of cars these days, including many that feature drifting in TV ads.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

grover posted:

A friend of mine has a Veloster. He said the suspension came straight off the elantra, and is super-soft with lots of roll, but he liked it because it's comfortable on the crappy quality roads around here. 160hp isn't completely anemic, but isn't exactly rockin' with power, either. It may look like a sports car, but it isn't. Which is the feeling I get from a lot of cars these days, including many that feature drifting in TV ads.

A bit off-topic, but every time I see the ad for the new Mercedes which features a handsome, young-ish man drifting it across an intersection, I just bust out laughing.

Firstly, that they are saying you can disable all the nanny-aids enough in the Merc to actually drift, and secondly, because the model they're advertising comes with a 200HP-ish turbo-4.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

grover posted:

If you bothered to do any research at all you would know that it's the same platform as the Giulietta.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you bothered to do any research at all you would know that it's the same platform as the Giulietta.
That's.... not really any better.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Counterpoint, it's the first time I've felt excitement over a Chrysler product in I don't know how long because cars need cool names like the Demon, RoadRunner, and Valiant. Not the Mercelexiniti GQEX42069. It's a sign things are moving back to where they belong.

How is that a sign at all? It's just Dodge putting out yet another cool name on a car which is pretty standard. Are you seeing an industry shift like this anywhere else that might signify a trend? Because we're talking about a manufacturer who made a disgustingly ugly box of an SUV that weighed 4,000lbs but in its highest trim had a 260hp V6 and called it NITRO! I would expect my rear end to get blown out of my mouth by the speed at which I was passed on the highway by something called Nitro.

Challenger, Charger, Avenger; even Durango, Caravan, and Journey are pretty cool. I'd love to see this kind of naming anywhere else but so far I haven't and I don't expect to.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, my dad owned a Dart when I was little and I've craved one ever since :colbert:

Happy now?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fucknag posted:

It really ought to be a hatchback, demographics and market preferences be damned.

If you don't mind it being badged as a Chrysler 100, have I got good news for you...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2013-chrysler-100/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Q_res posted:

If you don't mind it being badged as a Chrysler 100, have I got good news for you...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2013-chrysler-100/

Lower it and it looks Volvo C30-esque. I can dig.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKz7ivGt0rM This is Motorweek's review of the Dart. From what I can see, it looks like a nice - both inside and out - fuel economy focused car that also might be fun to drive. The recent test drive event they had in LA had many people coming away with similar opinions. I'm going to test one out whenever the local dealer gets them. That Giulietta100 is another interesting option for me to consider.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

grover posted:

This is exactly why I decided not to go with the Veloster. Looks cool, looks like it should be fast and fun, then... it isn't. It's just a normal car with a weird body and way more technology than anyone needs in their car. Why is there an Xbox hookup? Why? That can't end well for anyone, I can only imagine it's for passengers to play en route which is horribly distracting to the driver.

I got tired of waiting for the Turbo and got a new better paying job that necessitated needing a new car sooner than its release date (no way in hell my old car would make the trek across the country and I needed a car when I got there), ended up with a Mini Cooper S Coupe. Love it. Practical? Hell no. Fun? Hell yes. Its trunk is actually bigger than the standard Mini's (with the seats up), and I only ever used my back seats for storage anyway so it made sense for me to get no back seat and a bigger trunk.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Why is there an Xbox hookup? Why? That can't end well for anyone, I can only imagine it's for passengers to play en route which is horribly distracting to the driver.

Wait, does it just have normal audio/video hookups or something that's proprietary for the x-box? Because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

It's a newer platform and at the very least has good crash ratings. What specific beefs to you have with it?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's a newer platform and at the very least has good crash ratings. What specific beefs to you have with it?

No combat lasers.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I thought you all might get a kick out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnfp6eoI14Y

It shows you what you have to do to access the engine bay on the new 911. Look at all that trim :stare:

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Fucknag posted:

It really ought to be a hatchback, demographics and market preferences be damned.

It should be a diesel Sport-Wagon, as those have traditionally sold very well in North America.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

grover posted:

Nobody cares.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

davebo posted:

How is that a sign at all? It's just Dodge putting out yet another cool name on a car which is pretty standard. Are you seeing an industry shift like this anywhere else that might signify a trend? Because we're talking about a manufacturer who made a disgustingly ugly box of an SUV that weighed 4,000lbs but in its highest trim had a 260hp V6 and called it NITRO! I would expect my rear end to get blown out of my mouth by the speed at which I was passed on the highway by something called Nitro.

Challenger, Charger, Avenger; even Durango, Caravan, and Journey are pretty cool. I'd love to see this kind of naming anywhere else but so far I haven't and I don't expect to.

Yes, it's not as if the original Dart was an economy car.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

oRenj9 posted:

The Multiair 1.4L gets 39 MPG and makes 160hp/184ft lbs, which is pretty respectable for a car that is first and foremost an economy car.

If you're looking for a "first and foremost economy car" you definitely don't want a 1.4L Dart. That engine option jacks the price to $20k+, which isn't very economical at all!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

assfucker420 posted:

Seriously, since when was Dodge Dart a cool name? When I hear "Dodge Dart," I think "rusted out shitheap" because that's the only experience anyone under the age of like 60 has had with the name.

Not that I disagree with the direction they've taken. It's basically a real successor to the Neon, and looks to be miles better than the horrific Caliber in just about every way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Competent well-handling small car platform with a perky engine and good gas mileage.

What's not to like?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

davebo posted:

Wait, does it just have normal audio/video hookups or something that's proprietary for the x-box? Because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It has a breakout cable with RCA sockets

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

assfucker420 posted:

Well yeah, but I wasn't saying anything about new vehicles not being enough like their older counterparts or even that the coolness of names don't match the coolness of cars. Obviously the Nitro sounds fast but isn't, and the Challenger sounds pretty badass and is with the larger engines. We were just saying the whole Dodge naming scheme sounds cooler than naming a car g37 or e320. People who know someone who knew someone who had a lovely old Dart might have bad memories of the name, but on its surface the name Dart sounds like something that should be pointy and fast.

Viktor posted:

It has a breakout cable with RCA sockets

That makes a whole lot more sense than something that would only work with an x-box.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 22, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cream_Filling posted:

Seriously, since when was Dodge Dart a cool name? When I hear "Dodge Dart," I think "rusted out shitheap" because that's the only experience anyone under the age of like 60 has had with the name.

When it's a Dodge Dart Swinger!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A distinct lack of Jesus on that dashboard.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

Well yeah, but I wasn't saying anything about new vehicles not being enough like their older counterparts or even that the coolness of names don't match the coolness of cars. Obviously the Nitro sounds fast but isn't, and the Challenger sounds pretty badass and is with the larger engines. We were just saying the whole Dodge naming scheme sounds cooler than naming a car g37 or e320. People who know someone who knew someone who had a lovely old Dart might have bad memories of the name, but on its surface the name Dart sounds like something that should be pointy and fast.

That makes a whole lot more sense than something that would only work with an x-box.

I agree wholeheartedly, then. The stupid alphabet soup names are annoying and usually poorly implemented, to boot.

And, yes, "Dart" does sound like something pointy, fast, and nimble, but the name also implies smallness and, to some extent, cheapness. All of which are pretty good descriptions. It's kind of a break from form in that Dodge tends to "repurpose" past model names and use them for different kinds of cars - the Charger, the Aspen, etc.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

davebo posted:

They advertised it as an Xbox hookup, they probably get a kickback from Microsoft or something. :shrug: It doesn't make it any better of an idea, I still can't think of any useful and not terribly distracting use for the RCA sockets.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

I agree wholeheartedly, then. The stupid alphabet soup names are annoying and usually poorly implemented, to boot.

They start systematic and okay but sometimes turn into atrocities like "X3 xDrive28i."

Scion had to give up their system for their third car because Volvo already had "XC" trademarked for cars, which is why Scion went xA, xB, tC, xD, iQ, FR-S.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

They start systematic and okay but sometimes turn into atrocities like "X3 xDrive28i."

Scion had to give up their system for their third car because Volvo already had "XC" trademarked for cars, which is why Scion went xA, xB, tC, xD, iQ, FR-S.

I've brought it up before, but right now the worst offenders in my head for nonsensical alphabet soups are Acura and Lincoln.

Scion can get away with it, I think, because they have so few models at a time.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

I've brought it up before, but right now the worst offenders in my head for nonsensical alphabet soups are Acura and Lincoln.

Scion can get away with it, I think, because they have so few models at a time.

Apparently BMW is going to alter their model lineup to odd series signifying sedans and even series signifying coupe and verts. Talk about clusterfuck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

travisray2004 posted:

Apparently BMW is going to alter their model lineup to odd series signifying sedans and even series signifying coupe and verts. Talk about clusterfuck.

Makes more sense than their current schema.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

And they've already hosed up that scheme with the 6-series GranCoupe.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guinness posted:

And they've already hosed up that scheme with the 6-series GranCoupe.

I think they're calling it a "four-door coupe." Which is kind of dumb, but consistent.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KozmoNaut posted:

Competent well-handling small car platform with a perky engine and good gas mileage.

What's not to like?
No, that's what I want to see. Instead, we got a Giulietta that's larger and heavier and with softened suspension. There are worse cars out there, for sure, but is it too much to hope for the manufacturers to roll out actual light weight compact sporty cars with perky engines? Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'd love to see more manufacturers come out with small sporty cars like the Miata and BRZ/FR-S, but with inexpensive powerful engines like you can get on a $23 Mustang. Is that too much to hope for? Or will we forever be given econoboxes with body kits?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cream_Filling posted:

I think they're calling it a "four-door coupe." Which is kind of dumb, but consistent.

Wasn't the 6-series essentially a 5-series coupe to start with? This is like the Explorer Sport-trac: A pickup truck... based on an SUV... based on a pickup truck. Congratulations, you've invented a Ford Ranger!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

travisray2004 posted:

Haven't people been harping on about this for at least 10 years?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

grover posted:

No, that's what I want to see. Instead, we got a Giulietta that's larger and heavier and with softened suspension. There are worse cars out there, for sure, but is it too much to hope for the manufacturers to roll out actual light weight compact sporty cars with perky engines? Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'd love to see more manufacturers come out with small sporty cars like the Miata and BRZ/FR-S, but with inexpensive powerful engines like you can get on a $23 Mustang. Is that too much to hope for? Or will we forever be given econoboxes with body kits?

lmao if you think stuffing a 300HP motor in a chassis the size of a miata/brz while maintaining the handling qualities that make those cars fun to drive is even close to possible for the amount of money those econoboxes with body kits are going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Haven't people been harping on about this for at least 10 years?

I think they are finally doing it starting with the F30 Coupe which will be a 4 and M4.