Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I saw mazda 6 wagons irl in iceland. I thought it was a dream, but pictures later suggest otherwise.

Also saw a ton of volvo v90. If they can drive wagons there, the US shouldn't need CUVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
looks like it's gonna be a short film, very strange and kinda gross

yet I'm still interested

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

The Genesis GV70 looks great in Sport trim.

i see a macan with better interior

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how old was this car? I thought hyundai cruise control was one of the best implementations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Can concur. The KIA system is very good. Obviously varying a bit from day to day because of conditions, but most of the time I only have to do actual driving for about 5-10% of my commute while on highways/motorways. Very relaxing.

I'm following the development of comma.ai. Expensive as gently caress, but cool concept. Basically open source (but very heavily controlled safety wise) autonomous driving that can be retrofitted to most cars that have lane keep assist.

open source self driving :stare:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
kona and wrangler, amazing new cars that are definitely worth talking about for 5 pages

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

ThinkFear posted:

Well then... :drat:

hardest i've laughed this week

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah twitter edit is just gonna be

"cute cat photo" -> "sieg heil"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's almost as if these companies don't give a poo poo about the consumer! Shocking.

plz show me company that cares about consumer (if it doesn't help their bottom line)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I haven’t had too many issues in my miata, although maybe years of driving to santa cruz on hwy17 has already burned away any sensitivity.

My current non-regulatory pet peeve are hogs with aftermarket exhausts AND sound systems now that I live near a freeway on-ramp. I shouldn’t be able to hear them so loudly on the 5th floor with all double pane windows. When you’re louder at idle than normal car horns, somethings wrong.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

have you tried the nd? I think they tried to go back to what made the NA really good (of course "hampered" by 30 years of safety regulations and tech). The shake of the shifter, the noise and tactile transfer on the road, the extremely light clutch pedal. Doing a bad shift or slowing down too much almost never stall you, it just rattles the car so much you'd think a piston blew.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a reason every company only put the high end interior features in their bigger cars?

Is there no market for a golf sized car with S or even E class interior?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

a podcast for cats posted:

it's EU and China only.

shame, europe always has the cool poo poo, mazda 6 estates.

After a couple days of driving every interesting car under the US sun, what I really want is a subaru crosstrek with volvo v90 interior and audi engine/drivetrain/steering.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

99% of people in the market for a small car with a bigger than usual budget are going to end up with a GTI, R, or at the top end something like an Audi RS3 which doesn't even have power adjustable seats last I checked.

It feels like a missed opportunity. City dwellers are pretty wealthy. Even if they're not bentley and butler wealthy, they would like a nice car that can still be parked easily.

and when I say city, i mean LA

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

haven't you just described a XC40 or Q3?
Yes, but they don’t allow the upgraded seat option which is only available on the bigger ones. That’s the big feature I/my gf want, thigh extenders and good lumbar support.

It’s not a big deal, I just noticed after playing with configurators thinking it should be possible. When the seats are already powered and in the case of volvo/audi, seem to have identical base seats across the line.

tldr, they’re not taking my money

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I like the base honda civic hatchback a lot, the steering feels better than anything else comparable, mazda 3 hatchback not withstanding. And I don't consider them in the same class bc the civic has like 2x as much space.

Residency Evil posted:

Congrats on your new Macan!
Oh wow there's options for days

quote:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) $1,170
:smugjones: :supaburn:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

pik_d posted:

Wow, I'm actually surprised. I thought it would have been the other way around. What made the Mazda comfier, seats/ride/features?

not op, but mazdas all are still commuter cars, minus miata.
The GTI is the civic SI of golf. Stiff suspension, flatter turns. Actually stiffer than the miata, but that's a whole other wall of text

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Figured if I’m gonna hover my hands over the wheel I might as well just drive the drat car.

That's lane centering, which I do also like... You don't hover hand, it kind of just guides you so you exert less effort on the wheel to keep it steady through turns.

Maybe it's a california thing, but driving down 1. long stretches of highway and 2. extremely congested traffic often on the same trip made me really appreciate these quality of life things. Plus you can take in all the cool scenery that usually only passengers can really appreciate.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Guinness posted:

But it was the Mustang that took on a distinctly more European design and feel in the newest generation, aping BMW and friends, much to the chagrin of a lot of diehard Mustang oldsters

it did? I thought it was a throwback to the old era of muscle cars, at least more than the last couple generations where they lost the distinctive stub nose. I was never a mustang guy tho

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy poo poo they gave it a frunk. Brilliant.

that frunk is amazing(ly huge), pretty awesome

Do car internals change year to year if there's no refresh, like faster chips, better parts? Or is it just colors and options?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Guinness posted:

The width of new cars in particular has gotten out of control. Everything is 6+ inches wider than it was 15 years ago, which may not sound like a lot but when it comes to fitting in lanes, parking spots, garages, etc. it makes a huge difference.

Cars used to consistently be under 70" wide, often like 66-68". Now there's nothing under 70", and it's common to be 73-74" even for "compact" cars and big trucks and SUVs are 80"+. Just insane.

miata :smuggo:

Do luxury cars have smaller interiors than their normal car counterparts with similar dimensions? My head touches the ceiling of an A4 even with the seats bottomed out, but I fit fine in a corolla and crosstrek. All that tech and sound proofing has to fit somewhere i guess.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Tesla are expensive for relatively low quality cars.

They have surprisingly poor reliability considering the simplicity of electric cars. I guess the car parts they make are sufficiently bad enough to make up for the wins.
The interior is somewhere between a mid-range Honda fit and an EX trim Accord with a fun center screen that draws most people's attention away from the relative shittiness at that price range.

But people buy them because they're the first electric car that's viable for most people thanks to the price, range, and charging infrastructure. That's a huge deal, it's the closest we have right now to the CorollaRAV4 of electric cars, and people really want corollasRAV4s

I just don't like them bc of musk, the association with crypto, the forum warriors, and the custom license plate gangs. Whether they like it or not, reputation can really detract/attract specific people. I think Subaru (good lgbtq, bad techbros/ricers) and BMW (mostly bad) are 2 other examples.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's kinda nice a carmaker isnt trying to kill us with climate change.

counterpoint: #1 crypto hype man

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

quote:

opting for 21-inch wheels on a Model S Long Range Plus will cut the range by nearly 80 miles

:eyepop:

Do normal cars suffer from this much of a difference with bigger wheels?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah looks more like a hatchback with large wheels to me

Is the fastback style better for aerodynamics? Why does everything now have a sloped back?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
is this an actual truck that can drive in water rutted dirt roads that would make an outback cry? Or is it a RAV4 hybrid with the back chopped off?

BlackMK4 posted:

So it is the Ford version of the Honda Ridgeline, except they put a better engine/trans package into it and got the price points right.

this is 20"10" shorter than the ridgeline

edit: still pretty big.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 8, 2021

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Powershift posted:

409hp 3.5 liter twin turbo V6

that doesn't sound very reliable

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
meh, looks uncomfortable

but I wish america had the option of more cloth seats in higher end trims, or even cloth/leather combos that the euros have. Cloth is more comfortable than leather in most situations, even acting as a butt-level dampener for many euro performance cars that could use a bit more softness

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's weird how they only offer the manual on low end accords but only high end civics

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Is there something in particular about the current generation Civic that is making their drivers stay 5 car lengths behind traffic in Southern California?

default adaptive cruise range?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
What makes a car horribly boring? I always consider non-enthusiast cars as purely transportation. Comfort, usability, safety, gas mileage, and reliability are the things that matter. Unless by boring, you mean feels unsafe to drive because of how terrible they handle (wranglers).

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
meanwhile: rooftop tent on miata

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

but how do you really feel?

Weird comparing the A4 to a Camry. They're not in the same size class right? It should be compared to the Corolla, or A6 <-> Camry. I guess if you're shopping purely on price. The compact cars feel too small to me and I'm not even 6'

For informative car reviews, I like Alex on Auto. He also seems like a cool guy.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 8, 2021

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You might have had a point, except station wagons existed and those were the actual best for a family and SUV/CUV styling trends are making them less practical for families with less room, more difficulty for access etc.

That was always the frustrating thing to me. Wagons get better mileage, drive better (and to me feel safer because of it), and should be cheaper if they were not so rare. They also look nicer/sleeker than SUVs if you want to talk about form over function.

Otoh, I think people just
1. Want to feel taller
2. Want more headroom
3. Want the ground clearance (at least for curbs and poo poo road infrastructure)

and are willing to take the hit on gas mileage and price for it.

I also think maybe wagons and vans are not popular because they're the commuter cars your parents drove.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Blackhawk posted:

My dad went from a sedan to an SUV because it was easier to get in and out of (he has arthritis). Growing population of old people = more vehicles designed for old people.

more like, the population who can afford new cars is very old.

I always thought the mercedes E and S class sedans were "old people cars", maybe rich people are less likely to have arthritis.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Man I always have hosed up legs and joints from getting injured all the time for 30 years, and I don't have any trouble sliding in to a low low sports car or anything like that. Wth is wrong with everyone?

it just means your legs could get a lot more hosed-up-er, take care of them.

In used car news
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1862756
My miata :unsmith:. Roadster logo on the back.

Carvana bought it at 26200
Had a chipped windshield that they probably replaced. Plus the towing. And it looks like they might have replaced the back bumper (Or maybe not reporting the damage)

I can't imagine them getting more than 1.5k net profit on this. That being said, buying a 4 year old car for only 3k under msrp is pretty rough.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
not including the italian minitanks ofc which are smaller than miatas

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

ryanrs posted:

What are ventilated seats, exactly? If you fart when the ventilation is on, does it magnify the smell or whisk it away?

can confirm fast dispersion so no one can say who done it. luxury features

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What color?

Just got a good look at not just a C8, but a C8 in a beautiful color on my walk to grab lunch. I can see why some might not like the styling, but I definitely think it looks great.

I think it's getting into lotus bug face territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I think for certain ppl (sane), lexus being incredibly reliable is a huge selling point over the germans at the 80-100k range.

LC500, LS, LX

Yeah, I know "blah blah maint will keep all cars well", but not really. High perf bmw still regularly eat their own engines out of warranty even with perfect maint. Owning a car for 10+ years trouble free, it eventually feels like a loving dependable family member who's always there to help. In contrast, a higher trim german car is the cornell grad junkie uncle.

Acura will need to step up their game to compete.

If mazda ever got back into the game, I could see their I6 making waves assuming they want to go even more high end.