Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Also Miatas aren't really cheap new? Like I;m pretty sure people who can afford Miatas can also afford Camaros.

4 or maybe 6 cylinder camaro sure but why even bother

Wheeee posted:

Miata is the perfect automotive litmus test for identifying people who don't know poo poo about poo poo tbh

Pretty much, as soon as "lol that's a chick car" comes out of their mouth I ignore everything else they have to say, especially anything about cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I may be way out to lunch on this issue, but here is what's influencing my thinking.

Regulatory:

-Massachusetts already has a 2035 ban on the books: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gasoline-car-sales-to-end-by-2035-in-massachusetts/
-New York, California, and Washington state are working on theirs for 2035, 2035, and 2030 respectively
-12 state governors are pushing Biden to ban by 2035: https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/12-states-urging-biden-ban-gas-cars-2035

Investment:

-$174b in Biden's infrastructure bill for EV investment including tax credits and 500,000 public EV chargers, somewhat overcoming the chicken/egg thing https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/biden-infrastructure-plan-ev-rebates-charging-stations/
-GM promising $27b in EV/AV spending between 2020 and 2025, greater than gas and diesel investment, as well as funding 2,700 fast charging locations. https://www.gm.ca/en/home/electric-vehicles1.html
-Ford promising $29b in EV/AV investment https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/02/04/ford-raises-planned-investment-ev-av-leadership.html

Voluntary transitions:

-GM promising phase out of gas and diesel cars by 2035. Selling 1 million EVs/year in NA and China by 2025 https://www.gm.ca/en/home/electric-vehicles1.html
-Ford Europe going EV/PHEV by 2026, and full EV by 2030 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/business/ford-says-it-will-phase-out-gasoline-powered-vehicles-in-europe.html
-Multiple luxury car brands going EV only. Jag in 2025, Volvo in 2030, Cadillac by 2030.

Availability:

-GM promising 30 new EVs by 2025
-Kia promising 11 total, and 7 EV only models by 2026
-VW promising 70 pure EVs by the end of the decade
-Toyota promising 15 new EVs by 2025

I think in terms of voluntary consumer adoption, price is going to be THE factor. The average new car transaction price was pushed over $40,000 in 2020 which puts a lot of current EVs well in the mix for a lot of people. I think that makes the US uniquely positioned for a quicker transition. A lot of the rest of the world is going to be held back by economics. The average new car price in India is around $12,000 US. In China it's $23,763. The average person in the US drives around 13,500 miles per year, That's a charge a week on average with a bolt assuming 100% or once every 4-5 days assuming 20%-80% if you have no access to charging at home or at work. That should eventually just be at a grocery store or a restaurant while you do stuff you would normally do. There doesn't need to be a specific parking lot only for electric charging. The "but i randomly drive 500 miles" argument hasn't changed since there were 1000 charging stations in the US and there are currently 40,000. Used ICE cars aren't going to be immediately pulled from the road and if it's what your lifestyle requires, i don't think it will be too difficult to own one and keep it on the road.

That's all based on todays available EVs, today's batteries, today's infrastructure, and today's emissions and production targets. Timelines and investment are being accelerated.

That said, as someone mentioned there could be 3 different presidents by then, with your country's track record 2 of them could be Trumps, and it's a lot easier to impede and destroy progress than it is to make it. There is already a ton of competition for the resources required to make these vehicles from places with a greater sense of urgency due to local pollution and a lot more aggressive targets. Shareholder value and profit still reign supreme and companies don't want to compete with their own incredibly profitable models. There is a lot of back end infrastructure investment needed that is an unpopular way to spend money.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oh lawd it's the Tesla in the snow argument again

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Time is a flat circle

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Prezzzidant Humungus has carved an executive order into the carcass of the former Secretary of Transportation which makes the consumption of "no less than 8 gallons of guzzoline a day" mandatory for every citizen

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Also, you must have only ever posted in the EV thread if you think AI doesn’t hate everything new. The ideal car for 90% of the posters here is a 15 year old manual Miata.

I own a 2 year old S4 and a 20 year old Miata, and between them, they almost add up to one perfect car. I've also found that time in the one helps me appreciate the other. At my moderately advanced age, if I had to have just one car, I'm not sure it would be the S4, but it would definitely not be a Miata.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

taqueso posted:

You can go from algae or grass to fuel and it is efficient in that you can get more energy out than you use to do the processing. (Thanks sun) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

Another way is to use composting to generate methane, ala Jean Pain. You can use that in a modified diesel. Modern versions are quite efficient. https://www.permaculturenews.org/2011/12/15/the-jean-pain-way/

You'll note that the Algae fuel article says most companies have pulled out of research or gone out of business, which is too bad. Of course I wouldn't be surprised that ExxonMobil, then under noted philanthropist Rex Tillerson, would spend $600 million on it, throw their arms up and say "we tried". I'm still hopeful they'll crack something meaningful at some point though.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LibCrusher posted:

I’m very skeptical of this video. That car, even the underside, is spotless. Also the cutaway to the skyline is suspicious.

Get over it, battery swapping is happening in China every day. There are multiple swap points in almost every large city and are expanding quickly. There is nothing fake about this video.

Now wither it makes sense in the long term remains to be seen. I'm curious as how they will scale up as well as handle used batteries.

If I'm not wrong when you buy a Nio, the battery is not owned by you.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 14, 2021

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CornHolio posted:

This might be a stupid question but wasn't somebody working on a kind of synthetic fuel?

Porsche has a synthetic fuel they claim reduces carbon emissions by 85% vs gasoline. Of course, who knows what the production process results in, emissions-wise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Re: Miata chat. There are two kinds of "car people" in the same way there are two kinds of "audiophile."

Some people like listening to music.
Some people like playing with very expensive equipment that happen to play music.

Some people like driving cars.
Some people like playing with very expensive and fast cars that happen to drive.

I like all four of these things, which is why I make bad financial decisions.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Q_res posted:

Porsche has a synthetic fuel they claim reduces carbon emissions by 85% vs gasoline. Of course, who knows what the production process results in, emissions-wise.

Yes, we've known that Germans were working on synthetic fuel since the late 30s!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KillHour posted:

Re: Miata chat. There are two kinds of "car people" in the same way there are two kinds of "audiophile."

Some people like listening to music.
Some people like playing with very expensive equipment that happen to play music.

Some people like driving cars.
Some people like playing with very expensive and fast cars that happen to drive.

I like all four of these things, which is why I make bad financial decisions.
I like all four of those things, but I mostly solve it by not having enough money to do the latter half of each pair.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Yes, we've known that Germans were working on synthetic fuel since the late 30s!

Good for you? That has what to do with mentioning the specific company and their claims? :fuckoff:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Q_res posted:

Good for you? That has what to do with mentioning the specific company and their claims? :fuckoff:

Joke about vw/Porsche and nazis making synthetic fuel in wwii.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Powershift posted:

That said, as someone mentioned there could be 3 different presidents by then, with your country's track record 2 of them could be Trumps, and it's a lot easier to impede and destroy progress than it is to make it. There is already a ton of competition for the resources required to make these vehicles from places with a greater sense of urgency due to local pollution and a lot more aggressive targets. Shareholder value and profit still reign supreme and companies don't want to compete with their own incredibly profitable models. There is a lot of back end infrastructure investment needed that is an unpopular way to spend money.

This is the reason it’s not realistic. The majority of these initiatives aren’t binding. Only one state, Washington, has actually passed legislation banning ICE vehicles sales and even that legislation is dependent on a future mileage surcharge being passed. California is attempting to do it through CARB but there’s nothing preventing a future governor from rolling back the restrictions. This has happened before. CARB passed a mandate in 1990(!) that 10% new cars sold by 2003 needed to be zero emissions vehicles. They still haven’t hit that goal.

Likewise, Mass has established a roadmap but passed no legislation.

GM’s EV stance has been widely misreported but basically they said they “aspire” to sell only zero emissions light duty vehicles by 2035. That’s not a commitment and it also doesn’t cover heavy duty trucks. It’s pretty clear that they have a goal but are also going to respond to the market. If they’re still selling a half a million gas Silverado’s in 2034 they aren’t going to cut off the spigot in 2035.

Absent actual binding legislation that also includes significant funding to improve charging infrastructure and subsidize purchases these actions are all mostly posturing. Posturing isn’t without value since it does at least signal a change in attitude and direction, but it’s not nearly enough to hit the very aggressive targets being put out there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Krakkles posted:

As someone who has both owned and enjoyed an NA Miata and an amply powered mustang, I'd agree with this.

They're different cars and I've enjoyed both of them, and the Mustang definitely supports more fronting.

And crashing

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hilarious

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So how bad of an idea is it to buy a gently used nissan leaf?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Koirhor posted:

So how bad of an idea is it to buy a gently used nissan leaf?

Do you live somewhere hot? If no, then it's a great idea. If yes, then stay away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Do you live somewhere hot? If no, then it's a great idea. If yes, then stay away.

Yeah, you can check the battery health with an OBD2 dongle & an app. The EV thread has more details. I preferred the Kia Soul EV because it has better crash test ratings. Otherwise it's very similar -- quite disastrous in climates like Arizona, okay for temperate climates like where I live. If looking for something to keep more than several years, I'd still want something with a liquid cooled battery.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No and it would be in the garage when not in use, wfh now so no commute just need something for running errands and hauling my bike to nearby paths

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Koirhor posted:

No and it would be in the garage when not in use, wfh now so no commute just need something for running errands and hauling my bike to nearby paths

Pretty much perfect for that, IMO. For just that you could live with the granny charger but it's a lot nicer to have at least a dryer outlet, if possible.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Guinness posted:

The Miata is the epitome of “it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow” and it’s absolutely true. If you don’t have a smile on your face while wringing the piss out of it I don’t know what to tell you. They are supremely well balanced and enjoyable to drive especially on public roads where “real” sports car will send you to jail if you drove them at the same limit.

I've had 3 miatas (2 NC1s 1 NA8) and I was reflecting on them the other day while driving my NA. There is nothing out there that quite drives like the first gen miata. It's loud, it's hot, it's slow but it's so visceral, mechanical, and tactile. You're under no illusions that you're doing anything other than interacting with a machine. It gives you feedback too, lots of it! I can feel the front tires going over the paint on the road through the steering wheel. I can feel the clutch grabbing the flywheel through the pedal and the stick as it shakes in my hand. I can feel the whole drivetrain load up and unload through the stick. I can feel the mechanical bits in the transmission sliding and clicking into place. I can even feel the texture of the throttle cable in the housing through the gas pedal. There's so much to feel. And the amount of grip, and how immediate everything happens. Every action you make, there is a reaction, an instant one. So little weight to pull you off your line, not so much power that you'll go flying out of control if you floor it, but enough to be rewarding if you get your launches and shifts right. It's so rewarding to drive, and I can't say I've been in anything else like it. Nothing modern I've been in comes close. NC? too floaty. BRZ? the feel of everything is all loose and flappy by comparison. Even when I daily drove an NC and test drove a cayman, the porsche felt muted and disconnected. The NC feels the same to the NA. Mazda really nailed that car and I don't know if I have the heart to part with the old thing. I don't think I'll ever drive something like it again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Koirhor posted:

Even with the later batteries you don't want to be leaving the car fully charged for extended periods if you can avoid it. Shouldn't be a big issue if you don't need close to the full range.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

once more evolving with the times, the next entry in the Mad Max movie series features cobbled together old EVs carrying giant skull-encrusted solar sails like racing yachts as they scream across the desert wastes for like 50km before everyone has to stop

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

once more evolving with the times, the next entry in the Mad Max movie series features cobbled together old EVs carrying giant skull-encrusted solar sails like racing yachts as they scream across the desert wastes for like 50km before everyone has to stop

It would be a nuclear submarine turned into a bitchin' land ship with that reactor feeding incredible electricity to some giant-rear end electric motors with tesla coils and poo poo.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

have you tried the nd? I think they tried to go back to what made the NA really good (of course "hampered" by 30 years of safety regulations and tech). The shake of the shifter, the noise and tactile transfer on the road, the extremely light clutch pedal. Doing a bad shift or slowing down too much almost never stall you, it just rattles the car so much you'd think a piston blew.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BloodBag posted:

I've had 3 miatas (2 NC1s 1 NA8) and I was reflecting on them the other day while driving my NA. There is nothing out there that quite drives like the first gen miata. It's loud, it's hot, it's slow but it's so visceral, mechanical, and tactile. You're under no illusions that you're doing anything other than interacting with a machine. It gives you feedback too, lots of it! I can feel the front tires going over the paint on the road through the steering wheel. I can feel the clutch grabbing the flywheel through the pedal and the stick as it shakes in my hand. I can feel the whole drivetrain load up and unload through the stick. I can feel the mechanical bits in the transmission sliding and clicking into place. I can even feel the texture of the throttle cable in the housing through the gas pedal. There's so much to feel. And the amount of grip, and how immediate everything happens. Every action you make, there is a reaction, an instant one. So little weight to pull you off your line, not so much power that you'll go flying out of control if you floor it, but enough to be rewarding if you get your launches and shifts right. It's so rewarding to drive, and I can't say I've been in anything else like it. Nothing modern I've been in comes close. NC? too floaty. BRZ? the feel of everything is all loose and flappy by comparison. Even when I daily drove an NC and test drove a cayman, the porsche felt muted and disconnected. The NC feels the same to the NA. Mazda really nailed that car and I don't know if I have the heart to part with the old thing. I don't think I'll ever drive something like it again.

Sighhhh i miss my red 94.

I started motorcycling though. If connection to every function of the machine is what you're after, it's hard to beat a motorcycle.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 15, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Who is street parking overnight in a city center? Your poo poo would get towed immediately. You need to pay monthly if you're going to own a car and live downtown in a major city.

all the people that live there and own cars man, I street parked in Boston for years and I'm about to do it again. this is near where I lived in Boston. All those cars are cars with resident stickers. All of those people could afford an EV but would never buy one because you can't charge overnight.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.342...!7i16384!8i8192

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Has anyone posted about the KIA Seltos? I’m not sure what it is about this thing, but I kinda like it.

I’m always looking for wagony things but don’t want a huge SUV, so I think this fits the bill as much as possible. It’s fairly small (smaller than a CX-5 or Rogue) but still has a lot of cargo space, and I like the Audi ripoff interior. I’ve seen this thing and it’s about the size of a compact in terms of length.

It’s cheap, starting at $23k Canadian and well equipped taxes in around $30k.

The main negative is the engine sounds pretty anemic. It has 146 hp and 132 lb-ft out of a 2.0l which doesn’t sound exactly quick. It’s mated to a CVT too (KIA’s “IVT”, never heard of them using it before).

It can be had with a 1.6l turbo making good power but that starts at $32 plus tax which is kinda pushing it for me. For that money I’d buy a lesser equipped CX-5 or something.

Has anyone driven one?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a primate posted:

Has anyone posted about the KIA Seltos? I’m not sure what it is about this thing, but I kinda like it.

I’m always looking for wagony things but don’t want a huge SUV, so I think this fits the bill as much as possible. It’s fairly small (smaller than a CX-5 or Rogue) but still has a lot of cargo space, and I like the Audi ripoff interior. I’ve seen this thing and it’s about the size of a compact in terms of length.

It’s cheap, starting at $23k Canadian and well equipped taxes in around $30k.

The main negative is the engine sounds pretty anemic. It has 146 hp and 132 lb-ft out of a 2.0l which doesn’t sound exactly quick. It’s mated to a CVT too (KIA’s “IVT”, never heard of them using it before).

It can be had with a 1.6l turbo making good power but that starts at $32 plus tax which is kinda pushing it for me. For that money I’d buy a lesser equipped CX-5 or something.

Has anyone driven one?

They are completely functional appliance cars. As long as you aren’t looking for fun or capable they are good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all the people that live there and own cars man, I street parked in Boston for years and I'm about to do it again. this is near where I lived in Boston. All those cars are cars with resident stickers. All of those people could afford an EV but would never buy one because you can't charge overnight.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.342...!7i16384!8i8192

This is not the city center and is exactly what I was talking about when I said row houses outside of the city center where they will never ban cars. We are in complete agreement.

Boston especially will never ban cars though because their mass transit sucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you have achieved such a narrow functional definition of a city center that it's completely useless. please define the city center of boston to me in your terms.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
New cars are dumb because no one offers a wagon or manual anymore.

The Miata is still the greatest car. Anything more than 300hp is a complete waste.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you have achieved such a narrow functional definition of a city center that it's completely useless. please define the city center of boston to me in your terms.

I mean he probably means the part with the tall buildings that doesn't have much if any street parking.

Actually if you zoom out on the map the part that is labled "Boston" pretty well covers it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This was the original post I responded to

bull3964 posted:

The solution is going to likely be a blanket ban of cars in city centers and if you want to own a car and live in the city, then you have to store it at a satellite lot/garage outside of the city center.

But we need a lot better public transport for that to be a reality.

I'm not sure why it has to be a "newer" suburb though. My house was built in 1951 and I could easily support an electric car (assuming I got around to updating my electrical panel for the capacity.)

Let's look at some places with blanket car bans and what they define as the city center.

Paris:

Oslo:

Those areas are pretty small and are the kinds of thing I was talking about. If Boston did it for some crazy reason, I imagine it would be everything from maybe Old North Church to the edge of Chinatown at most. Basically downtown + the tourist area you really can't drive through anyways.

kill me now posted:

I mean he probably means the part with the tall buildings that doesn't have much if any street parking.

Actually if you zoom out on the map the part that is labled "Boston" pretty well covers it.

Yes. It's literally called "downtown." Weird, that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 15, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrLogan posted:

Anything more than 300hp is a complete waste.

Normalise commuter cars being small and having naff all power imo. After driving my 49hp, 62ft-lb daily, ANYTHING feels fast and luxurious.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

This was the original post I responded to

Let's look at some places with blanket car bans and what they define as the city center.

Paris:

Oslo:

Those areas are pretty small and are the kinds of thing I was talking about. If Boston did it for some crazy reason, I imagine it would be everything from maybe Old North Church to the edge of Chinatown at most. Basically downtown + the tourist area you really can't drive through anyways.

Yes. It's literally called "downtown." Weird, that.

To be fair no one lives in that area of Boston or parks on the street really anyways, you don't see parked cars on the streets much at all until you get into the areas like Kyoon is talking about

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BloodBag posted:

I don't think I'll ever drive something like it again.

I could copy paste everything you said about the Miata to my first car, a red 85 AW11.

I dated a girl in college who drove a 91 NA in white and although I couldn’t drive it with the top up, it was similar outside of the balance.

gently caress I miss that MR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Even my crapped out NB Miata is a better car than my 1994 Integra GS-R was, but I will always miss that car. I'm never going to drive one again, because I'm sure that revisiting it now would just ruin the memories.