Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Friar Zucchini posted:

Still a ton better than the current Versa sedan. :barf:

In other news, the biggest deal at Ford right now isn't any of the new engines, any upcoming models, or even the Fiesta ST... It's the latest feature for vehicles with MyFord Touch.

Buttons.

About time. I've really been a fan of ford's new cars but I have not been able to get over the fact that the dash in the fiesta is, BY FAR, the best ford offers.

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Ford_Fiesta-24-1024x682.jpg

The black white and red lit interior is the nicest I've had for long haul night drives since my old saab. What is with blue light and loving space ship cup holders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Cream_Filling posted:

I thought you could change the light colors on most Fords.

Well that would be good. I only test drove the focus, fusion and escape. But it just felt like they tried too hard to make those interiors look high tech. The fiesta just felt like the best package. Everything is spot on and feels like it is in the right place. The gauges are perfect, it has sync but no mytouch.

The worst I have seen is my dad's 2012 cherokee . It looks like you are being abducted by aliens at night cause all the blue poo poo reflects off the windows.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

sbaldrick posted:

That doesn't explain Canada's love of hatchbacks. It's more American's are stupid and weird when it comes to cars.

That is because it's a stupid argument. You're going to lose that heat when you get in the car. I've never, as a Canadian, gotten in the trunk of a car, closed it, and wormed my way to the driver's seat to preserve heat.

My car history = 97 Taurus SHO, 2001 Saab 93 convertible, 2009 Chrysler 300c, and a Ford Fiesta (I found awesome used cars through HS & College). I can fit 583748x more stuff in my little go cart than I could in the 300c, which is a loving boat.

I will never buy a sedan again in my life. At least while I'm a 1 car kind of dude. Already looking at TSX and CTS sport wagons. ^_^

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

blk posted:

Hot diggity!

This just reminds me how sad I am that there is no 6 wagon :(

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Is this for 2014 or has there been one and just not in Canada? Now you are going to make me really happy and tell me there is a speed version.. Right?

Edit: Just read follow up replies. FUUUUUUUUUUU

Is a decent wagon too much to ask for? You can get a Subaru with horrid MPG(MPG is not the issue. It is the lack of performance to go along with it.), and no connectivity for music, or spend $50,000 on a BMW or Audi.
The complete lack of options makes the jetta wagon slightly attractive. No, wait.. I'd still rather eat rear end in a top hat.

It has been a good year for sedans and no wagons to show for it.

Math You fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 27, 2013

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, that too, somewhat, but at least the colors can be changed. Not so much with the tiny slit windows, but then again if it were my car I wouldn't be riding in the back so I shouldn't get so worked up over it.

Keep in mind that photo is taken from the view point of a 5 year old. I was taken a back at first myself but I have to wonder what my fiesta would look like from down there. None of my adult passengers have ever complained about the windows (or the leg room.. I think cause they expect much worse) while back there.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Linedance posted:

I just had a new Golf from zipcar, so far it has been the worst for this. I took a picture from my perspective. The camera was a little in front of my face, so in practice I could see slightly more of the speedo (up to about 50mph!).

This is after I'd adjusted everything to my comfort. I suppose, being German and all, they probably expect you to adjust yourself to the car's comfort.

That is literally the worst. My mom's Fiat 500 is really bad for that too. Plus the retarded circular all in one gauge compounds the problem. The revs are a smaller gauge inside the speedo, and yes, it is easy to confuse which hand is which.

Then there is the visibility in that thing. As Richard Hammond described it, "The visibility is quite good.. Say, next to having a bag over your head, or being blind."
In the cabriolet you can't see anything behind you shy of 8ft tall. It is also literally impossible to check your blind spot. The first time I drove it, I stuck my head out of the window when I had to merge left.

It seems to be a fairly common theme in cars which are mostly quite good. They just throw poo poo around without thinking about how good it is for the driver.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

You just killed any chance of me looking at that car. That freaking nose. Why is it so long?
All I can see when I look at it is how it SHOULD be shaped.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Outside of the styling factor of the 3. Wouldn't that overhang make parking in /pulling out of tight spaces a pain?
That's one of the best perks of driving a compact.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Weinertron posted:

What makes it so bad? My fiancee is really fixated on getting a Prius c for herself and I'd appreciate any input on why it would be a bad idea. When I weighed in earlier in the thread I was told it was a solid basic commuter, although the radio on the 1 and 2 trims is laughably dated. By the time you option the Yaris to match the Prius c 1 it costs $16k vs the Prius's $18k.

I drove one and it was much better to drive than a full-sized Prius, probably just because of the smaller platform.

The same reason all Toyotas are crappy most likely.
Take the "all new" corolla which they finally gave a make over and an interior. Guess what? Still has the same loving 10 year old drive train. A 4 speed. Really?

Not to mention it's gotten lovely crash test ratings in anything besides head on.

Back on small car chat, the over all package of the fiesta really is head and shoulders above everything else in the segment. I test drove basically all of the subcompacts in 2012 and it was no contest. The Fit was really nice but it only beats the Fiesta in space.
The Sonic was kind of comparable but the interior (dash specifically) made me want to vomit.

Want a subcompact? Buy a Fiesta. Or if you want more room, a Fit. These are the only cars to even consider in the segment.
That is assuming you give a poo poo about what you drive. If you just want the cheapest thing you can step into (and don't mind dying if you crash it), buy a Versa Note.

quote:

I've had 3 SHO's, a 93 5-speed, 95 atx, and a 98 V8. I would be the first guy in line for an AWD Fusion SHO with 300hp, AWD and a stick/dual clutch. Sell it for 35k. The current SHO is just too big.

98 V8 SHO was my first car and I second this 100%. God I loved that thing.

Math You fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 30, 2013

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Cream_Filling posted:

What about the Mazda 2? Everyone forgets the Mazda 2.

You are right. The Mazda 2 is really nice, but it's too similar to the Fiesta IMO. I could maybe see getting one if all I cared about was having a fun little stick to toss around.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

blk posted:

500C Abarth if we're talking all cars that size and not the true consumer segment

The 500 is kinda neat but it's honesty got the worst visibility of any car I've ever driven ever. Deal breaker for me. It's also not very refined. And by not very I mean not at all.
Don't know why anyone would want an Abarth since the Fiesta ST came out, unless you are really adamant about your car being tiny.

That said my mom absolutely loves her 500c, and it's not necessarily a bad car (besides the visibility which I am not exaggerating at all about). I just don't see how you could compare the two together and go home with the 500.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Just curious what all the hate about Ford's DSG is for. Is it just because it doesn't feel like a torque converter auto?

At this point it is the best auto transmission I have had. It's really responsive and utilises the low HP of the Fiesta quite well.

That said, it does take a little getting used to. When I first got the car I felt the clutch working quite a bit, but once you stop driving it like a traditional auto, that goes away completely.

I've never driven another DSG, so maybe it isn't as refined or something, but the image I get is people who have never driven a manual feeling the clutch and freaking the gently caress out.

Powershift posted:

Cost, strength, and difficulty of repair.

New toyota supra "FT-1" concept

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/toyota-ft-1-concept-detroit-2014/

The interior is pretty awesome, but the body looks like a 90s concept.

I don't know why considering this is FR, but I immediately thought of the Ford GT - 40 concept. So seconding the 90s vibe

Math You fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I would just like to stop by and report my powershift tm transmission has been absolutely flawless all 50,000km I've driven it. Definitely the best auto trans I've had.

I mean, I can feel the clutch when I'm crawling around a parking lot but it's always been smooth, fast and responsive.

So there.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The Fiesta is unironically the best car Ford makes. I've driven the Focus, Fusion and Escape. Save space, nothing about any of them makes me want to step up a tier or two.

This includes the cluster

Brightness is adjustable with a little switch near where your left knee hangs out. Best night driving car I've had since my SAAB, but I don't think anyone will ever surpass SAAB night mode.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

HotCanadianChick posted:

One of BMW's interior design cues is orange/red lighting on the center console and gauges (though a lot of the newer ones are moving towards white gauge backlights), and red lighting is pretty much the only thing that won't kill your night vision. It's way better for night driving than the night mode gimmick.

I don't know how that's better than a red instrument panel where all backlighting save the speedometer is shut off.

At least it was red in 2001, can't comment now.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Well shame on SAAB then cause my 2001 9-3 had red lighting and it was the bomb.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Throatwarbler posted:

All VAG products except the Routan have fully galvanized bodies and 12 year unlimited mileage corrosion perforation warranty.

Have you seen VWs? They are the single most rusted brand I see other than perhaps Mazdas . Cars 4-7 years old.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Re: Dude who is scared of having two focuses

I just got a 2015 and I'm pretty happy with it. Apparently they have improved the clutch materials and it does feel more like a traditional auto. I never had a problem with the DCT in my '12 fiesta though so what do I know?

Best thing about the mini refresh is the new steering wheel though. Comes heated with the rear end warmers package now as well.

I picked it over the mazda 3 because the focus is still by far the best looking hatch on the market. Mazda couldn't have given that thing a more awkward side profile if they had tried. It has a much smaller trunk too.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
They refreshed the focus interior in the 2015. It really is much improved.. Not that it was ever bad in its class.

FYI I've had two powershift autos and they have been fine. (so far..)

Only complaint I have is that I need to interact with it occasionally at low speeds (5-15mph. Parking lot crawling), but AI guys should love that, no?
Otherwise it's been a smooth, responsive auto.

I'm sure it will go to hell on me at 100k, but given the auto was forced on me by the wife, I'm happy with its performance so far.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Mange Mite posted:

Are the ergonomics any better? In the previous Focus hated the giant clunky dash that actively took away knee room and interior space

I don't think passenger volume has changed at all. The center console has been updated and is improved but I don't think it is any smaller.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

KakerMix posted:

I dunno man I see all sorts of poo poo around and I wonder what led them to buy what they are driving. Simple stuff like Focus sedans in ~blue~ I wonder what the buying process was for them. Or silver Camrys or white Nissans. Why *wouldn't* a LOOK-AT-ME Nissan sell?
"I wanted something sensible but also wanted to stand out :cool:"

What's wrong with blue Ford Foci? :colbert:

Mine is BLUE CANDY and replaced my BLUE CANDY Fiesta. Both hatches though.

Re: Nissan chat. My coworker owned a 2009 Sentra that was constantly needing expensive repairs at only 5 years old, had the most spartan loving interior I've ever seen, CVT awful, ugly as sin.. and he wouldn't say a bad word about it. He actually dumped it at 7 years old because repairs were costing more than its value.
What did he buy? A used 2011 Rogue with all of the interior bits rattled completely loose. It's like driving inside of a vibrator.

Edit: Sentra was 2009

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 27, 2017

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Also had a 2016 Sentra as a rental recently and was absolutely alarmed by how bad it was.

Worst offenses:
95 percent of throttle mapped to the first 10 percent of pedal actuation. I guess to make it seem sporty and cool? I almost darted into traffic getting out of the rental lot...

The loving dials and screens. These were incredibly bright and there wasn't a dimmer that I was able to find. What the gently caress? How anyone drives one of those scrap heaps at night, I don't know..

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
All diesels should be banned because after 5 years of no maintenance they literally gas all of the cars behind them. Seems every time I get behind a Golf TDI in stop and go traffic it's so loving bad that I will take an alternative route.

Seriously, I see smell the odd beater truck that makes me nauseous, but the percentage of smelly diesels in trucks is miniscule​. VW TDI s though? Easily 50 percent.

I guess just ban VWs

Math You fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 11, 2017

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My favourite part of fiat chysler trying to kill off Dodge is the Grand Caravan.

They decided to axe the van that had completely dominated the segment to copy Honda and Toyota's line of "well we can't compete so we'll only offer 'upscale' models at double the price."

So the last GC model year was 2015, right? They are still building them. Are we going to be buying 2015 Grand Caravans in 10 years or are they eventually going to pull their heads out of their asses?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The only thing keeping me from buying a Mazda is looking at ones that are 5+ years old and full of rust. :canada:

Also my current Ford dealer is the best dealership I have ever dealt with by a significant margin and I'll keep going there until that changes. Seriously, not risking this relationship.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If you have winters your all seasons last twice as long. :aaaaa:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean it looks similar because it's the same basic hatchback shape but it was definitely molested, but yeah it's probably hideously expensive to manufacture it with virtually no A or B pillars even though it looks fantastic.

A fiat 500 and a mini cooper definitely hosed to produce this thing. I for one, would like to see the footage

Also if you want to use mostly mass transit and still keep your Costco membership, may I introduce the cargo bike:

Math You fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 23, 2020

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

prom candy posted:

I think more Canadians drive stick than Americans. I'm always peepin on cars when I walk my dog and a ton of cars around here are stick (my neighbourhood is absolutely stacked with Golfs, Sportwagens, and GTIs.) Most of my friends know how to drive stick even if they're not into cars and if they don't own a manual car now they definitely have in the past. Maybe it's something to do with having the queen on our money, I dunno.

I think that's partly because owning a car is not as much a birth right in Canada. The only people who owned cars at my highschool really loving wanted and worked for them. Car lovers generally want manual transmissions.

I feel more "first car" sales in the US are of the "I need something to keep MY ANGEL safe" variety

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tooooooo many creases. That profile set of creases on the doors is doing what exactly?

https://twitter.com/roadshow/status/1240095676274524166?s=20

It's an arrow ok? MEANS FAST

From the front it looks like a 2008 Sebring ate a CT200h rear end first and upside down

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If they bring the estate trim to North America I will buy that Mazda 6 in a heartbeat

NEW

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
There's absolutely no problem driving an RWD car in the winter. I learned to drive in a 300c during the winter with plenty of big snow dumps and never had a problem.
If a 17 year old kid can handle a 5.7L Hemi through the rear wheels in a foot of snow, or after freezing rain, anyone can.
Frankly, it's almost impossible to fishtail a car accidentally with modern driving aids, and you can't beat the fun of RWD on snow when you turn them off :rms:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The first time I used ACC was in stop and go traffic on a two lane highway due to summer construction and it was near autonomous. 0-90-0 again without any input from me! I was in heaven.

Then I had to do 10 hours of driving on 400 series highways in Ontario that involved a lot of merging into the passing lane and back out consistently over the length of the trip. Even set at minimum following distance it would freak out everytime I got behind a car and was setting up my merge. It was especially frightening if a faster moving car merged in front of me closer than it liked.
I eventually just got sick of massaging it and turned off cruise control completely. That amount of driving without cruise control is awful.

Is ACC toggle-able in many cars? I've had it in a few rentals and in some situations it really is the cat's meow.. in others it's dogshit garbage. If I had to choose always on, or not at all.. I'd take the later every time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It's really lame how few cars have decent colours available.
Ford was really onto "a thing" when they brought the Fiesta to NA along with a bunch of cool colours, and made a couple available on the Focus as well. The green, red, yellow and blue were all hot AF and available on their two cheapest models, on all trims.

My last two cars were Blue Candy hatchbacks and I'm really bummed out with my options looking at new cars today. Very few brands have cool colours at all, and those that do seem to be model and/or trim specific..

Edit: I can't, on principle, buy a Mazda 3 with those boring rear end colours being all that's available. Shades or colours so dark they may as well be black :barf:

Math You fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 30, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Guinness posted:

I was 50/50 on the Deep Crystal Blue or Eternal Blue for my CX5, and ended up with Eternal Blue. Both good colors but after owning several black cars I was worried about that with the dark blue.

Mazda's paint palette right now is pretty good I just wish they had even more options.

The eternal blue is not available on the 3. The red is nice, I agree, but it's the only true colour option. It's that or a blue so dark most people will think the car is black.

I also thought the original CX-5 blue was nice. It seemed like their trademark colour for the Kodo (or whatever) design language they came up with in 2012 so it's disappointing to see it's no longer available across the line.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So the current gen, plain Jane civic is pretty decent then?

My in-laws had a 2012, which is somehow only one generation back, and that thing was just loving awful to drive. Completely gutless, way over damped suspension, no steering feel whatsoever, terrible stock speakers, and tacky bright blue bars in place of an instrument cluster.
Even my 100 percent completely uninterested in anything auto wife hated driving that car and would let out a massive sigh of relief when she was back behind the wheel of ours.
This comparison was next to my 2011 fiesta I had at the time too, not anything up market.

Have they really improved the dynamics of the car that substantially? I find it kind of hard to believe after having driven a 2018 CRV but kudos to Honda if they pulled that off.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

dissss posted:

It's hardly fair to compare a base Civic to a Fiesta ST.

It was just a plain (as noted, 2011) Fiesta. There wasn't even an ST until 2013

Thanks Twerk for the write-up on the 2012 Civic (which is the only one I've driven). I'm happy to know there's just the one year THAT bad

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I think another thing that's a bit deceptive about all of these CUVs is how they sell cargo space. Super high bulbous rooflines sure would allow you to transport a lot of balloons, but without a deep enough cargo area you are always left laying poo poo horizontally and playing Tetris.

I see the CX-50 getting slagged for its low cargo volume but it looks like a way more practical than most CUVs to me

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
220+KPH(140ishMPH) in my '97 SHO when I maxed it out in highschool. Since then I've been at 160-170 a handful of times but have never wanted to repeat 200+ on the road..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Wrong thread.. whoops.

I think the new Mazda things look pretty cool 😎