Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

opengl128 posted:

It will be FWD, optional hybrid, CVT only, 4 doors, oh and also a crossover. Enjoy.

The ol' Mitsubishi treatment I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ExplodingSims posted:

Isn't that kind of the problem with electric cars though? One of the reasons no one liked them was because they were so ugly?
I mean, at least part of the reason Tesla got as popular as they did was they made electric cars that actually looked good, and like actual cars.

Me choosing a second gen Volt over the first gen was partially because of looks. It looks more normal-ish

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Small city no real commute me: If it's not RWD with a manual it's poo poo

Real city with actual traffic and commute me: Daydreams of Prius with low speed adaptive cruise control

This was basically me last winter. Extremely eyeballing a Mustang because prices seemed decent for fast fun. Bought a Volt and realized ohhhh how high can I make this MPGe go?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

skipdogg posted:

My neighbor has a family of 8. Do they have a sensible minivan? Hell naw. Lifted Diesel Excursion Limited on 35" tires. That's the family car. They have a Jeep Renegade and a Prius Prime as their other cars.

So they normally commute in the Prius Prime, and only take the Excursion when they absolutely need everyone and need a lot of cargo right?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

skipdogg posted:

For the most part. The Jeep is the wife's toy car, and they generally take the Prius unless the whole family is going. The guy is actually pretty green, he put 12 kW of Solar on his roof last summer too.

Oh, I was joking, glad to see that's actually the case

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Something Offal posted:

unlike loving $3 backup cameras which required government intervention to trickle down.

What's the story here?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

That got fixed with rear cameras, need front ones now with all the 5ft grills

Need a car with the COFFIN system

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What exactly is meant by this:

"That lack of vim was on full display during our test of top-gear passing times, where the Golf needed 34.6 seconds to accelerate from 30 to 50 mph"

Because that seems rather bad, unless I'm missing something

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

In “top-gear,” so probably lugging the poo poo out of the engine. My car hates being in 6th under 40 mph.

Ohh ok, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Whatever SYNC was in my 2011 Fiesta and 2014 Focus were garbage. Never remembered my phone. Last year I had a new Explorer as a rental and whatever SYNC was in that worked great. My 2018 Volt's infotainment works great and looks decent fwiw

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Powershift posted:

Also interesting to see if that price is before or after the tax credits, because at 408hp for the electric, it might be dumb to get the gas version.

Yes but what about extremely likely and not at all made up chance I need to go cross country on roads that just don't happen to have chargers, clearly electric is a waste

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

MarsellusWallace posted:

Phone posting, but isn't the majority of the U.S. ED market Tesla at the moment? That's sales based on image as much as tax incentives.

If it's not it's because Volts, Bolts, and Leafs are also very ubiquitous

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I just really wish the response to try to juice up the sedan market was to make them all liftbacks. None of the people who think hatchbacks look cheap will be bothered by the styling but it makes it a hell of a lot more useful.

Definitely agree. Going from a Fiesta hatch to my Volt, I get the space and ease of the hatch with sedan styling. It's so easy to shove stuff in there

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Gonna second the Bolt being fantastic. It's kinda barebones but still is great. I was worried about the seats before I bought but I guess they were fixed in either 18 or 19. Either way my 5'10 180lb self fit perfectly ok. Drives fantastic and (nearly) fully loaded new at $27k there was like nothing else that compared.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Toyota wants it naturally aspirated, so it will never have a turbo stock. Plus with this new release they can basically just sell this car for the next 10 years until it's EV FCV time.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

wankel13b posted:

And you have to use your phone or a key card to start it.

"...and the Silverado EV doesn't have a start button. Simply have your phone set as your key or bring the keycard, and the truck automatically turns on and is ready to drive."

Honestly one of my favorite features, it’s so convenient

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The problem is you aren't thinking about this like an executive.

You're an idiot, a total and complete know nothing. Knowing that you have no idea how to make a successful product is in fact the only thing you actually do know. Your bonus and compensation are based on short term cost cutting. You know that you're too stupid to still be there without getting fired when/if the product launches. So what do you do? You make a shitload of choices that are terrible for everyone but yourself. You cut costs: labor, materials, you name it, it's gone.

You know that the product is going to take, say, 5 years to complete. So around the 3-4 year mark, you bounce to another company. The company you're at looks like it's doing amazing because of your talent in cutting costs and being lean! The product maybe or maybe not materializes in 5 years. You probably hosed it up so much that it takes another 2 years after the planned launch date, but you're already gone before what you did is fully realized, and doing it to another company that you'll leave just as soon as you know you won't be able to squeeze any more money out of it for yourself or it starts showing.

You do this starting from the first job your parents hand you until you retire or die. You are rich, so you must be successful. And if you're successful, you must be a genius. You are rewarded handsomely with money and prestige for cratering countless companies over your time because you left before you were blamed. You spend 0.5-1% of your total wealth founding charities and are worshiped like a god.

Thanks I hate it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

The cynic in me feels like people will tune them on purpose to go back to blinding people

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Remulak posted:

GM also had a KILLER car with the Volt, a plug-in hybrid that literally had the highest buyer satisfaction in GM history. They of course stopped making it.

I loving loved my Volt. It’s only sin was making me want a full on EV

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

I also heard about the volt spinning the engine up every X months, maybe those prius weren't serviced properly who knows.

Just to throw my 2c on the topic, i've just purchased an EV with a 350km range but i do less than 30 daily, with chargers at the office. Every trip longer than 100km i always pick the train or a plane, so i don't care much about absolute range.

As a former Volt owner this is correct. It did engine maintenance every so often to burn fuel in the lines and keep things going. I think after two years (or one year?) of no engine usage it’d run the whole tank dry to keep things going. I never got to that point because it used the engine for heat in winter time in severe cold

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The Mazda6 Is Back

Yes!

quote:

as a Rear-Wheel-Drive Electric Sedan

YES!!

quote:

Chinese market only, though.

Oh gently caress off