Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is the NA Giulia still a maintenance disaster too?

TeamIce posted:

The one article I read said Caddy is "softening" the V Line to try and make it more accessible, but quite frankly, the CT-5V hardly would even compete with the likes of an M340i or an S5, let alone something like an M3. If it's a lot more price competitive, it could make sense, but the pictures I've seen of the interior have been underwhelming to say the least...and it also has a terrible amount of trunk space compared to the competition.

The CT4-V probably would hang with something like the CLA35 AMG or whatever it is, but that isn't exactly a high bar to clear.

It did hint that GM may release a more "hardcore" model in the style of the prior V series, within a year or two, but this just seems like a marketing nightmare that's only going to serve to dilute the brand in the meantime.

How do you go from a 640 hp supercharged v8 and a 450 horsepower twin turbo v6 to...those.

How much more diluted can Caddy get? I mean, I follow this stuff, and I'm still not who these cars are supposed to appeal to?

Also, man they're ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dr. Memory posted:

Speaking of, Mitsuoka is modding Miatas to look like old Stingrays: https://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1810/10/news079.html

That looks nice, and I'm happy to see they're still in business! I still want an Orochi. Car? Spacebug? Why not both?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Why does the Buzz look worse than the Multivan?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Toyota/Lexus have just dropped a shitload of EV concepts and some are kinda sick. There's wayyyyy too much of a crossover between some of them though and :lol: at the thing they're calling a 'compact SUV' which just looks like a futuristic hatchback.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/12/toyota-and-lexus-unveil-15-new-electric-concepts-all-at-once/

Picking my perfect 2 car garage from that lot:

Toyota MID BOX

That's a minecraft. I ain't driving no minecraft.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Calty design just does not scale up, but Toyota won't stop trying!

KozmoNaut posted:

Broncosaurus

Ronco Braptor

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Maybe. Looks okay to me. I'm not into the sloped roof style unless they managed to keep headroom OK.
https://insideevs.com/news/560552/hyundai-ioniq6-electric-sedan-spyshots/

Hopefully it doesn't look like a 2005 Maxima, because that's kinda what that shape looks like.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

The Jimny and Cappuccino would never ever pass federal regulations. You can go out and buy a Hayabusa right now though.

It used to be my dream to get a Kei car, but that's diminished as US cars and trucks have gone all steroidal. Now it would just be begging for death.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I vaguely recall a "Delorean" company buying the GM Kappa platform in the old times. I wonder if it's the same group?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The Hummer being obnoxious, gaudy, dangerous, and cheap looking despite the price, is exactly what the Hummer brand is for, so well done GM, nailed it.

Though the argument that "Giant Hummer EVs make the Corvette possible" only works if this was somehow GM's first truck, and they weren't already raking in profits on Sierras and Silverados.

The Corn is taller than I am.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

lmao at the 500 Abarth. Had the same issue, when we pulled up in a brand new Golf R, they refused to let us drive it.
This was in 2013 so I think they thought Fiat had legs here in the USA.

Also just lol that Fiat has one, ONE car to sell in the US now, and it's the 500X.

500's might even be selling again now that gas is back up.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The first thing I noticed in this video is the big cheap lookin' rubber seals for the windows. You'd think for a car as expensive and 'halo' as this they'd at least run the rubbers in the door frame itself.

Or are they frame less and just done as badly as possible?

https://twitter.com/MatthewDR/status/1630988148556660743?t=BB4CNiSka_y2qn-YiZ7BgA&s=19

It's the Mystery-Spot truck bed! Does it taper? Slope? Open a portal if you try and draw it? All of the above?!

No matter what, I doubt an average person is loading anything over the side of the bed.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ford, give us the Custom Nugget you cowards!

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ford/transit-custom-nugget

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

We wish we had the vans and MPVs Japan has.

Give me the Lexus Alphard Toyota you cowards

Or the Hyundai Staria!

Everywhere has better van options than north america.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I am fortunate to have splurged on a deeded, covered, heated lol garage spot.

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

Closer to $7K these days, but another answer is a Fiat 500e

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I was stranded at a Toyata dealershipfor a bit this week, so I got to be baffled by the Crown Crossover in the showroom. Smaller, thirstier, but not noticeable more luxurious than a Camry Hybrid, but much more expensive. Is the markup worth it for AWD and a slight lift? Unless the long-wheelbase sedan is coming to the US, it's even more weird as an Avalon replacement.

There's no way the Estate is getting sold here.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Even for today's BMW, this looks a bit gauche.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/738bhp-bmw-xm-label-red-really-does-put-lipstick-pig

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Hide the badges and I would guess it's Mercedes "AMG" version of the EQE.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Why is all of the glass on cars migrating up to the roof?

Speaking as a mole person, this is a loathsome trend that apparently won't stop. The sun is my enemy.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

My first choice of an EV is the Honda-E and it's not even available in NA. :negative:

You and me both. C'mon Honda, give us the goods.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Time for me to get mad again that we can't have ORA's in north america:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/no-its-not-bugatti-galibier-its-oras-swoopy-four-door-saloon

It's called the Lightning Cat, and it looks like what every swoopy e-sedan was trying for, but failed.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

Avoiding topgear.com links in the future would be appreciated, if you open an English article link while not having an English locale set on the browser, the site will open your local language edition homepage and it will fail to load the article. The foreign editions are done by different staff and the articles are never aligned.

Noted, thank you.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

There’s a “gap” in the market because BMW sold ~2400 z4s in 2021.

But I assume they can’t make that many anyway so it’s ok.

If the Cybersterrer has awful build quality and terrifying handling, it can fill the hole that TVR left in our hearts.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the ranger is the second worst selling truck in america (aka Truck Land) and would be the worst if the santa cruz didn't exist. in the overall sales rankings it slots nicely between noted luminaries the Honda Passport and Hyundai Sonata in approximately 50th place

edit: it also was consistently outsold by the Colorado even without its GMC sibling rolled in so your definition of "it does pretty well" is uh, different

It's even being outsold by the Ridgeline??

...This is where I learn that Honda started making a car called "Passport" again. I blame crossover fatigue.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Supercars styling stretched to fit an SUV isn't a good look imo. 5500 ish lbs too apparently.

https://twitter.com/stevenewing/status/1674034446633168900?t=4Ovobb2W5wUVBVLxuhGjRw&s=19

Fantastic color, at least.

But if you told me that was sporty version of the upcoming Chevy Blazer EV, I would believe it.

And just lol at Stellantis pricing.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

To goons telling that jeep has inventory, I am in the fifth month of delay since the original delivery date i got promised. Every model that isn't in full spec or a gladiator is being sold the moment it leaves the factory. :italy:

At least you have the option, someday, maybe, of buying it! I don't think the Avenger will be sold in North America.

Are Euro Jeep dealers not choking on piles of Renegades, though? I just kinda assumed they are, since the UK and Europe have tons of really good choices for smaller SUVs.

Comedy option: Stellantis is just trying to save you from buying a first-year-production vehicle with 1000 weird gremlins baked in.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I concur on the Hyundai Staria love. Isn't there already an PHEV version?

Sab669 posted:

Love how they use a random lovely photo of one of their cheapest current SUVs for such an article. Holy crap the Ariya starts at $43K? It looks like an even cheaper Rogue in those photos. I actually thought it was one of those "not found in North America" cheap small CUVs for Europe/Asia.

I will say the interior felt nice for a Nissan, but that version I sat in was sixty thousand American dollars.

That's unaffordable, and even if I could, there are way too many better cars for the price.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Dodge is resurrecting the Stealth name for a 3 row hybrid SUV to replace the Durango. The new Durango will be bigger as it'll be based on the Grand Wagoneer.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/71319/dodge-to-revive-stealth-name-for-new-hybrid-suv-report-says/

I have such a weird affection for Chrysler, but I'm continually puzzled how they still exists.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It doesn't need this much juice but in terms of car is all anyone really needs.

https://twitter.com/evomagazine/status/1684121590923923457?t=2jJ7UWWLxQdB9v66ZT94oQ&s=19

That looks like a really fun way to end up unalive.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here’s the new presidential limo, while it was undergoing testing a few years ago, parked between two Yukons. It’s a big vehicle.

Large Barge.

I don't like the color choice on that Cadillac SUX, but I honestly like the weird styling.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The best GM Toyota collab was obviously the Pontiac Vibe, which was so much better than the Toyota Matrix that they imported it back to Japan.

It's ridiculous how useful the Vibe/Matrix were as cargo haulers, and that zero lessons were learned. All the seats fold completely flat! Including the front passenger! Usually that's chrysler's deal.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Mini showed off the new Countryman. It's not pretty. This is the electric version, ICE version should look about the same. US gets them in a year.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/09/2025-mini-countryman-electric-makes-u-s-debut-confirmed-for-fall-2024-launch/

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Avenger was always sad

There were good Avengers (not for retail sale)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
This is bleeding into the JDM import thread, but 25-year rule Jimnys aren't uncommon:

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/details/used-1998-suzuki-jimny-samurai-wide-4wd/93146500

Yes, I'm tempted to buy that one.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sometimes I forget Chrysler still exists.

Stellantis could rebadge the DS range for Chrysler, and Citroen for Dodge. They wouldn't sell any, but the dealers could stay open for another year or two.

Kill Fiat in the US again.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently now the X2 crossover-coupe thing exists while it didn't when I was at the BMW HQ/museum a few weeks back.

I don't like it so they'll probably sell millions.

Pity that the press car has been in an accident already. Must not have had another for the photo shoot.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

New car trivia that I want to know the answer to: Is there any car in the US market where a manual transmission is cheaper, more efficient, and faster? In the heady days of 2015 Consumer Reports found several models of car where that was still true: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-transmission/index.htm

Mini just brought their manual back after supply chain problems, so that's one.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

There was a temporary pause in MINI manual transmission production during the supply chain shortages due to having to narrow down option lists after their wiring harness supplier in Ukraine was impacted by the start of the war. They were given the option of having their normal assortment of wiring harnesses at a severely limited quantity or fewer configurations and a higher volume. You can guess which option they went with.

It is also slower 0-60 and worse on fuel efficiency than the 7 speed DCT

That said after the 2024 model year manual transmissions are well and truly gone from MINI's lineup. The new interior on the new generation has no accommodation for any sort of shifter. The automatic shifter is now a switch on the dash.

Shows how out-of-touch I am! Thought mini was still using a traditional torque-converter automatic, not a DCT.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

And still no word on price, just over a month from "Delivery?"

They'll still sell every one they make, because Musk stans are like that, but if he's being that lukewarm on the truck now? It must be a thorough disaster.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Edit: too slow.

Cybertrrrrk - Being just a Model X, but with the aerodynamics of a brick, and many thousands of pounds heavier... Range will be what? 150 Miles? Tops?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
New Forrester pictures leaked:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/11/2025-subaru-forester-leaks-ahead-of-la-debut-should-go-back-into-the-woods/

quote:

Under the hood, there will be an engine or two, but buyers likely won’t care. That being said, it’s a Subaru so that means AWD, CVT, and not enough HP. Of course, we’ll find out full details on November 16.

lol

Failson fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It hurts to hear how the NZ and AUS markets have fallen. Used to have so many great Fords and Holdens. Gone, like tears in rain.

Sounds like Toyota is bringing the Crown Estate to the US, they're just going to call it an SUV. I'm okay with that!