Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Q_res posted:

CAFE is why the poo poo like the Yukon Denali exists.

Wait huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Applebees Appetizer posted:

They actually hold their value really well, when I was used car shopping I was looking at CX5's but for my budget the average mileage was just too high for me.

I'd guess that's because they don't sell well in the new market, so the supply is limited in the used market and internet nerds (along with much of the public) want them used.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i hate to break it to you but the soft touch plastic strokers in this thread care about it and identify it. the average car buyer does not see a real functional difference that matters to them between a cx-5 interior and a honda cr-v interior

Kyoon has the correct take here.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Russian Bear posted:

Is the G70 a manual?

There's almost no way it's a manual.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

So I bought this dumb land yacht instead of the CX-5.
I'm so sorry Dave Coleman, but this barge was only a couple grand more than a CX-5 Sig.

2018 A6 Competition CPO with only 700 miles on it and 5 years left on the warranty.
The supercharged V6 owns- last of the breed. Plus the cabin doesn't look like goddamn Minority Report.

So anyway this has to hold me over until the rwd inline 6 Mazda 6 comes out.

Well done my goon man. You made a Correct Choice, in the best color.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If your car already has some amount of imperfections and small rock chips, will PPF do anything? Is PPF mainly avoiding things like debris residue screwing up clear coat and rock chips?

I just don't see a reason or benefit to put it on if I'm not cursed enough to care about small imperfections. I mean, I used to care but stopped as I became more jaded about life.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah Macans are highly desireable, they will hold their value better than most. Still gonna drop from MSRP by quite a bit but that's the rub when you buy that kind of vehicle.

It's the bodystyle of choice for the US after all.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Guys, that Instagram post is a parody right?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat I was hoping it was a joke. One of the first front end designs I can honestly call loving atrocious.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dissss posted:

If you don't have a front plate how do automated parking lots work?

I'm pretty sure most of those use rear plates.

Charles posted:

I've never seen those in the U.S. The closest are ones that are paid by a regional toll transponder.

Edit: to be clear, parking lots have a pay station with credit card machine that you pay before you leave. You grab a paper ticket when you enter. There can be an attendant at the enter / exit too. Some lower tech ones here just have you put cash in a slot and a guy comes around every few hours to collect it.

Plate based tolls absolutely exist in the US and will become more common.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I think the new grill looks extremely bad. I'm sad that it's real. Oh well!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

That's such an unflattering angle.

Is this an ironic post? It's literally an honest photo of the front of the car. At several angles actually. I've been an apologist before but I'm done.

I can't fathom asking people in a survey if they think this looks good and most of them saying "yes". Absolutely not the case for prior designs. Why do this??

Not that I could afford a new car from these brands (so I guess I don't matter), but this has pushed me into a bland Audi preference.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 8, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It’s extremely ugly, this is a crazy difference of opinion for something so flawed and hideous

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the sensor indicates low oil, the driver is much more likely to take the car in for service versus with a dipstick where they have no idea that it's happening

i don't think the techs care that much. sensors are pretty reliable and it will throw a code if the sensor is inop. it's possible for the sensor to return false readings, but not very likely. nobody complains that there isn't a physical dipstick in the fuel tank; everyone seems to pretty well accept the performance of identical electronic sensors in that case.

As usual, KG here with the right take. I have an electronic sensor and I agree :-)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wheeee posted:

Turns out there's a $70k Subaru STI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRdI2ktG4s

I never knew this was a thing, it's actually extremely cool.

Savage Geese still killing it. Cool stuff.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That's a great looking car. Shame it won't sell in the US over Nissan Rogues or Chevy Equinoxes. Would be really nice to see more wagons on the road.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

So my 4Runner is awaiting judgement by adjuster after I suffered some fairly grievous front end damage of someone else’s making. I’m in a 2020 Mazda6 right now, which has some cool modern features and poo poo. It’s the first car I’ve driven with lane departure warnings and adaptive cruise.

But like after a day or two the novelty was gone and it’s just strikes me as a billion systems waiting to break.

I doubt I can talk my wife into letting me import a 25yo JDM Prado or something bc of safety features (esp w the kiddo) but I guess I’m just gonna end up buying another dinosaur Toyota because it’s just a bit much and not really enjoyable to drive.

Give me an analog experience any day.

ACC that goes down to 0MPH (which the 6 should) is totally the future of driving for Most People, as soon as you try it that becomes clear. Every new car should have it.

But I understand you personally might not get a lot of value out of it, especially if you don't spend much time in moderate traffic.

Unfortunately, I bet most people with ACC never try it out, which is a shame because it could probably prevent a huge chunk of accidents.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You know LDA is toggleable right? Just making sure. It's a common criticism I hear of newer cars ('nanny tech') but seems some folks don't know that it's not permanently on.

Most also let you control the strength of the correction.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_Jl5WFQkA

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Apollo posted:

The one thing I don’t like about ACC in my Audi is that it disengages after 3 seconds of being stopped in stop and go traffic.

Do the newer Audi/VAG models also do this with no way to turn off disengagement? Quite annoying when stop/go is the whole point of ACC.

I drove a Jeep that had it and it was a perfect implementation that almost never turned off. Maybe after 30 seconds of being stopped I needed to tap the gas, I don't remember.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That is both very ugly and very boring. Nicely done!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is that Bryan Cranston or not?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yuns posted:

2021 Mazda 3 2.5L turbo awd is live on the Mazda USA site. 250 hp and 320 with 93 octane. Says available late 2020.

This is a cool idea. Even though no one buys sedans anymore, I would love a class of vehicles that have strong engines, but don't cost as much as entry level luxury like the 3 series or A4. e.g. MSRP around 25k instead of 35k, but with comparable performance. I'm not positive where the cost cutting would come from, but I feel it's doable and could be profitable.

Is the Camry V6 going away? Something like that I guess, though the Mazda3 sounds even better.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Toyota's site won't let me build a Camry TuRD on their configurator, says it is not available in my region in the US.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yuns posted:

The Mazda3 Turbo isn't a true hot hatch like a Civic R, Focus RS or Golf R but it opens the door a touch for a real Mazdaspeed 3 which would be awesome.

e: nevermind! Was wrong about auto trans availability on the Golf R.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mental Hospitality posted:

It was an 11 minute commercial lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gw8B939Eo

Sometimes long commercials are really fukken well done. Doesn't sound like Ford got it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

Hate to say it, but I didn't get on with my 2018 S4. It turned into a rattlebox within a year and I found the throttle response laggy.

IIRC, you're in Winterpeg? It just so happens my old car is for sale at Audi Winnipeg. It's the Daytona Grey 2018 S4.
You can check out all the felt I stuffed into the door panels and b pillars to stop the rattles.

One thing you might miss when downsizing is that long wheelbase solidity.

Were rattles not addressed by the dealer if it was within warranty?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

diagnosing and fixing rattles is absurdly hard and not worth it for the tech in most cases. better to just write "could not replicate customer complaint" and get something that will actually pay.

Oh, that is sad. :( I've never bought a new car but part of the allure would be a true bumper-to-bumper warranty that would include minor complaints like rattles. But your explanation surely makes sense.

e: Wonder what would happen if you went for a ride with the tech and indeed could replicate it?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Isn't the downside that you have to live in Las Vegas?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This was an excellent comeback, well done.

e: Unrelated but looks like there was some drama with this sale in the BAT comments. When you win and fail to pay on eBay they can limit your account etc., I wonder if there is any legal obligation on the part of a winning BAT bidder? I imagine the answer is no but it must suck to invest time as a seller in an auction with lots of bids only for the winner to fall through.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 23, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The Miata is so clearly the next car I want that it's hard for me to even read new car reviews. The next-gen BR-Z/86 might conceivably lure me away but the rest are hopeless. The only other segment that has any appeal to me are the hot hatches, because if I ever can't get a Miata, a Veloster N, GTI, or Civic Type R would be the next obvious segment.

Outside of fun cars, I intend to keep the car I bought in 2019 until 2027 at the earliest, so I don't really care what sedans or CUVs people release today except as it provokes me to go all old man yells at cloud.jpg.

Curious, what is motivating you to stick to a fairly rigid 8 year timeframe?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If you left a bike in a car overnight and a thief was especially motivated, is there any way for them to steal it easily? With a laptop, backpack etc. it can fit through the windows, but you can't unlock doors just by smashing a window right?

Even if it wasn't possible I wouldn't leave anything overnight since I fear smashed windows either way.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bull3964 posted:

The 15-20 year timeframe where the vast majority of cars are expected to be EV.

I want whatever this guy's having.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CornHolio posted:

I've driven manual cars almost exclusively for fifteen years and I have never once sat in stop-and-go traffic thinking "boy this is terrible, I really wish I could inch forward in an automatic right now."

Maybe it's because it doesn't happen very often for me since I don't live in a big city, but I've been stuck in traffic sometimes for hours and it's more annoying cause I'm not going fast than having to deal with the clutch.

I think it really is because of where you live. If traffic is a daily occurrence, shifting will become a tedious monotony. Tedious monotony is also a half-decent band name.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That video is really wonky. Doesn't seem representative of the real deal. smooth jazz, you got duped.

That being said, there is a poster that mentioned new Audis he's been in have a lot of rattles when it gets cold :shrug:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

How can you tell they're fake? Current gen Benz interior creaking is like a youtube meme at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmbzLb-EWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMY_MKKGpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArPkgdH0sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7fbVYiYp_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk4FbEvt-Ec

Tempted to low key try this on my colleagues mercedes

Maybe they're not fake.... those are pretty bad.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Also why are the Germans meh? BMW is turning extremely ugly exterior wise but the other brands seem objectively nice right now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TheBacon posted:

for example Doug, he gets a lot of views and twice a week and I got the sense that like he sort of barely paying for his cars with it.

I don't believe this is accurate. I think Doug is past the $1MM per year income from YouTube mark, which is more than enough for his payments. His revenue numbers are for a variety of reasons but the most important reason being he has a large video library at this point that many people watch per day, from what I understand. Very rare numbers to achieve, of course.

Beyond just being jealous I'm proud of my boy, I've been following him since near the beginning.

In his More Doug videos he's shown to be shrewd in the way he views YT, he understands that it is most likely a temporary income source, and like the others has started a non-YT income source which is an auction site. I think most YooooooTooobers understand it's a temporary boon in a similar way. It's such a minuscule population that are actually successful after all right?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 26, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Wow that new s class looks awful and cheap from inside out. What a step back. Those maserati and genesis interiors look a million times better. And those tail lights, yikes.

Rear looks pretty close to a Maxima, boring boring:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Powershift posted:

A BMW fan, i see. Here you go.

Man you need a job in the industry.