Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You guys may find this interesting:

Last night on my way back to the hotel from work, I ran into both the brand new MKZ and a camouflaged Fusion. The Fusion had the electric plug flap on the side so maybe it's the new Fusion Energi BUT interestingly enough, I don't think it is. The MKZ had a full row of extra readouts on the dash making so I think that may have been the MKZ hybrid (or not) but the Fusion had a giant tailpipe and only an extra RPM gauge (you can see the green light from it in the driver's window). Maybe it's the Fusion ST everyone in this thread wants? This was on the 15 in Vegas, right near the strip. I think they were coming from downtown.

Sorry the pictures are blurry but it was hard driving and taking photos at the same time.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Do we have any Ford employees here? Ford's opened up their employee pricing to everyone but you need to know an employee or retiree. :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah it's A and Z plan: http://www.autonews.com/article/20160120/RETAIL/160129988/ford-lets-employees-share-discounts-outside-family

edit: drat it, I guess that article is behind a paywall even though it links fine from Jalopnik.

Anyway here's the Jalopnik part:

Jalopnik posted:

4th Gear: Ford Employee Discounts For Everyone (Who Has A Competitive Vehicle)!!!!!

Wanna buy a Ford, but just wish you could get one of those sweet, sweet employee discounts? Now’s your chance, sort of (via Automotive News):

Through the end of February, Ford Motor Co. is letting employees and retirees share their discount on a new car or truck with anyone who has a competitive vehicle, according to a memo distributed to dealers.

It’s rare for automakers to allow employee discounts, which are generally the best incentives available, to be used by anyone other than an immediate family member. Unlike with the short-lived “Friends & Neighbors” promotion that Ford ran in November, buyers must obtain a special code from an employee or retiree, but they could save several thousand dollars more under the new deal.
All you need is a 1995-or-later non-Ford car. Go snag the Fiesta ST you’ve always wanted.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Why does everyone hate the Dodge Dart so much? I had one as a rental and thought it was somewhat decent. :confused:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

El Scotch posted:

It's not like it's a Geo, but when you compare it to what else you can get for the money it kinda falls flat on its face.

Yeah. I get it. I think since I was looking at it from a rental car perspective it seemed decent compared to some of the other turds in its rental class. Looking at the MSRP Fiat/Chrysler was getting greedy.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
:derp: Because you don't own the car with a lease!!! :derp:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
When is Ford going to make a 4 door Mustang?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

Considering the closest equivalent cars are the Charger (under 100k units sold in 2016) and SS (under 4k units sold in 2016) not sure if there is a lot of interest.

The Charger is on, what, an 11 year old (probably older) platform? And the SS was torpedoed by GM from the beginning.

edit: All I'm saying is the the newish Mustang seems like a good base to make a sedan with. Kill the Fusion. It's ugly and way too boring.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
2020 or something. If FCA is still around then.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I wish people would understand that a "platform" is just a set of measurements and specs that fix the distance from the cowl to the front axle and a couple of other things for the purposes of setting up an automated production line. It's not a "thing" that get's worn out with age or however this analogy is supposed to work. There's nothing wrong with the Charger just because certain measurements in the car's unibody have not changed for a long time.

I hear your nitpicking but doesn't the platform have a direct impact on driving/handling performance?

My Acura MDX drives like a Honda Odyssey because it's based on the Honda Odyssey platform. The 300/Charger/Challenger all lumber around like a late 90's Mercedes S-Class because they're based on a late 90's Mercedes S-Class platform.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Hey, thanks for the lesson. I was genuinely curious about that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

tijag posted:

I'm not 100% sold in the refreshed Mustang look, but the visibility out of the Camaro is sub-optimal, obviously.

Get a scat pack Challenger for like $10k (or more) off.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
How could you say no this this?!

http://www.northlakecjd.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-9325a0db0a0e0adf001605de92772270.htm

Sure it's fat and some would say ugly but seems worth it imho.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There isn't much else. The E-Class wagon starts at $60k for a 300 hp NA V6 and RWD. Nobody else sells a large wagon in the US.

The T6 Inscription actually sounds like a pretty good deal.

The other thing to remember is that most people aren't buying these, they're leasing them. Mercedes has E-Class lease deals all year long...Volvo will probably follow suit.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Screw you guys I'm getting a Raptor.

edit: :fsmug:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
See if you can find a left over 2016 CTS V-Sport?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I like it. I won't buy one but I like it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
There are also people that legitimately think Nissan makes nice cars. My buddy and his wife are like this, and I have had coworkers think the same thing.

They are wrong.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
If you want to get a feel for the Traverse, go test drive the '17 GMC Acadia. The Acadia/Traverse twins are a lot smaller than their previous forms and moved to unibody. Overall I liked the new one better because the interior wasn't as bad as they used to be.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Hell yeah. Gonna get a King Ranch F-150 for 84 months.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Read a Michael Crichton book you like? Post it here, in the book thread!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I have CarPlay and Android Auto in my VW and I have to say, Android Auto is a thousand times better than CarPlay. I'm stuck with CarPlay though since my work phone is an iPhone.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
How about that new Regal GS?

http://www.buick.com/regal-mid-size-luxury-hatchback-sedan/index.html#/regal-gs

I would buy a Buick? :confused:

edit:

prom candy posted:

Actually, the Civic hatch, si, and Type R all look cool

I would also buy the new Civic SI. It's a shame it didn't come in the hatchback version though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I bet they meant “Racine” inspired design. I would be ok driving that in Racine.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
We should all drive Crew Cab, EcoBoosted F-150s.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

prom candy posted:

I'm buying a car soon and I would prefer not to negotiate, but I feel like I'm an idiot if I don't.

Use the Costco car buying service if it's available to you. It might even be worth the Costco membership. Sam's Club is just TrueCar and most dealers actively fight TrueCar sales.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The best interior was the mid-to late 90s Honda Accord. :c00lbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What are everyone's thoughts on the Pacifica or the Pacifica Hybrid? Or the 2018 Odyssey for that matter? The discounts are greater on the non-hybrid Pacifica (as in, dealers only sell the Hybrid at MSRP) but I don't know how I feel about Chrysler.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Poke around on forum.leasehackr.com...I don't think the 500x leases very well, and she may be able to get into a much better car for less money.

edit: Also check the edmunds forums for leasing info: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussions/tagged/x/leasing
carsdirect.com also has good info if you're in Southern California.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 22, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It's a shame it's not called "Pantera metal". :rock:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

ill never understand the "lets make a cool car" to attract people, and then either artificially limit its numbers or give it halo pricing. you want brand loyalty but make no loving effort at all at getting people into your vehicles.

One word: dealers.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The Fiesta hasn't been selling well so there's huge discounts. It's not a conspiracy to sell flood damaged cars.

The only thing to be concerned about is whether or not you qualify for any rebates the dealer inevitably applied to the price.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Wow, if you ever want to go down a rabbit hole, watch the AlexOnAutos channel on Youtube.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I kind of see it but the Ram nose looks 1000x better.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Over thing that blew my mind awhile ago is most car commercials do not feature real cars, they are CG pasted over a rolling tube chassis. They just make sure the wheels line up and boom.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/how-they-shoot-a-car-commercial-without-the-actual-car-1782499530/amp

Well no, the article said that it could be done that way. Most car commercials are still shot the old fashioned way.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

For nearly $100k cheaper, you can get a Stinger GT with a 1 second slower 0-60. What an amazing time we live in.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

BloodBag posted:

People chime in on here about that stupid kia so often I have to wonder if there are paid shills ITT.

I think we're just excited about it. I've never even remotely thought about a Kia before but the Stinger seems like a legitimately neat car for the money.

Powershift posted:

For nearly $60k cheaper you can get a jeep with a 0.1 second faster 0-60.

Some sports car, it's slower than a jeep!

:lol: I totally forgot about the Trackhawk.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

angryhampster posted:

drat that is gorgeous IMO. I'm a big fan of this platform though. Comfortable, good packaging, good engine choices. It's boring, but I love our 2011 Edge.

My beef with the MKX was always the front end...this new one is a lot better.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
And Google Play Music.

GM and FCA have the best ICE imho. Which is sad but they're not as bad to deal with on a day to day basis as the choices from Honda or Toyota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

drgitlin posted:

Are you high? Nothing from GM or FCA can touch Audi’s MMI or Volvo’s Sensus infotainment systems, both of which are legitimately good.

Not high, poor. :smith:

I was recently in my boss' Q5 and the MMI system didn't strike me as anything different than the typical VW stuff. It was fine but nothing great compared to others. It could have also been the base package.

I haven't been in a new Volvo yet.