Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Any color is cool. Except white.

I hate you so much white! :argh:

Fake edit: this weekend I saw a yellow PT Cruiser. Imagine the thought process that informed that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Guinness posted:

Silver is the color that never looks particularly dirty, but also never looks particularly clean.

I was going to post a picture of my silver Forester after it was freshly detailed and then I realized "huh... he's kinda right."

CornHolio posted:

My wife ordered her Focus in ruby red though, and it looks loving fantastic.

My wife has a red CX-5 and the color just looks gorgeous on it. Red is great in small doses but I think anything bigger than a CUV and it starts to look like a fire truck.

Nov 6, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

?

I've given up trying to understand new car buyers. Like are there still people that unironically won't drive minivans or station wagons unless they have black cladding and more inconvenient doors on them because "my mom drove a minivan"? I feel like some kind of hipster because I'm baffled by this fad that I thought died sometime around the 2nd fastnfurious movie.

Arrrgh, why don't people like the same cars as me!?

Nov 6, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

because occasionally they'll get someone that doesn't negotiate and then after they get done hi-5'ing themselves they'll wonder again why Americans hate the Car Buying Experience™

How does car buying work in Europe and the rest of the world? Do manufacturers actually sell directly to the buyers?

Nov 6, 2002

What is the appeal of Jeep?

Nov 6, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Even on a road with controlled intersections you will, on average, get where you're going faster by speeding to get through intersections before they go red.

I hate this mindset. If you are talking about a typical 10 to 20 minute drive around town you shaved off a few minutes maybe, at the expense of putting you and the people around you in greater danger. The risk/reward ratio of excessive speed to squeeze through a light is not there.

Nov 6, 2002

That is true.

Auron posted:

If you're flooring it before every intersection and doing 10+ mph over the limit to beat a light...then yes you are correct, but adjusting your speed to go a little bit faster to just avoid a red light isn't really causing anyone any more danger.

Maybe. I've finally come to the conclusion that in your typical American city, speeding doesn't really get to your destination faster. Not by a significant enough margin to make it worth it.

Nov 6, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I drive the speed that I drive at (which may be over the speed limit in areas were pedestrians are not around) because that's the speed that keeps me engaged and focused as a driver and therefore the safest.

That sort of thing has been proven time and time again that people gravitate towards the speed that they are most comfortable driving at and that same speed makes them safer.

Forcing yourself to drive slower than your are comfortable decreases overall safety.

Again, that doesn't apply when there are other concerns like pedestrians. In all honesty, your focus on watching for pedestrians should automatically force you to drive within the limits for those zones.

I think most of the studies I've come across have said that traveling the same speed as traffic around you is more important than anything else. Speed differentials are dangerous.

Nov 6, 2002

Wheeee posted:

I'm a lot more dangerous on the road when I'm bored and disengaged with the process than I am when I'm driving as I please, which is generally with the flow of traffic or slightly faster depending on conditions.

Someone paying enough attention to be watching crosswalk lights and for police ahead of them is safer than someone robotically following the law without regard to actual conditions.

And if you aren't paying attention to light cycles and the flow of traffic and pedestrians in city driving so as to allow you to get through as efficiently as possible you actually are potentially wasting a lot of time. I commuted in heavy traffic for roughly an hour each way before I gave up and started taking transit, and paying attention and trying to save time often actually does.

I mostly agree. And to be more clear, I'm not saying everyone needs to follow the exact posted speed limit or it's dangerous. I'm talking about people who just routinely drive faster (10+ mph) than everyone else, everywhere they go because they think they're "beating traffic".

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 5, 2018

Nov 6, 2002

Now I want to see someone start a plow business with a Challenger.

Nov 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it looks like a novelty weapon that you hang up next to your anime wallscrolls

i'm 100% for it

Nov 6, 2002

PT6A posted:

And generally larger dimensions. I've said it before and I'll say it again: where the gently caress are people parking this poo poo? Parking spaces are getting smaller and smaller, if I had the same size of vehicle as my parking-spot-neighbour in my parkade, neither of us could use one whole side of our vehicles.

Many crossovers aren't really much bigger. Does a RAV4 or a CRV really have a much bigger footprint than a Corolla or an Accord?

Nov 6, 2002

Why do people like a car in a format I dooooooon't??????? :argh:

Nov 6, 2002

Mariana Horchata posted:

caught a new Infiniti ad this morning and the VO person sounded very familiar...it's Adam Driver (doing a Jon Hamm impression)

All the luxury brands have Jon Hamm knock offs.

Makes me pine for more McConaughey commercials.

Nov 6, 2002

i own every Bionicle posted:

Everybody should drive a sports car and use it pull a trailer in which to carry their spawn

I never understood why more people don't get 6' or 8' trailers. I so often hear people say they own a truck because they occasionally want to be able to pick up a large load from a box store - which is totally understandable - but this need can be completely filled with a $500 trailer. And you don't need a truck to pull an 8' trailer. So rarely in the US do you see trailers being pulled by anything other than trucks or massive SUVs. I don't get it.

Nov 6, 2002

davebo posted:

I just borrow or rent whatever vehicle is required on the rare occasions I need more than I have, and this was never once a problem at my old house, but since we moved to our current house last year I keep having huge loads of yard waste I'd like to take to the dump. I think I still come out ahead just cramming more stuff into yard waste bags or paying someone with a truck to remove the heavy stuff, and also a tow bar on the back of my Stinger would be ugly. My boss has both a covered trailer and open and he does find uses for them quite a bit. He's very utilitarian though. Drives a Honda Odyssey with just one seat in the back, floor completely lined with vinyl, and a metal lift gate over the rear storage in the floor.

I've done the truck rental/borrow thing too. The problem is, your time is also valuable. Renting a truck and having to return it later always seems to double - at least for me - the time required to accomplish some task on a Saturday morning when there are other things I'd rather be doing. Having a trailer sitting there ready to go gives you the convenience of the truck bed without the cost and impracticality of actually owning a truck and without wasting time/money getting a rental.

Nov 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

Most cars in the US aren't tow rated, even if their European counterparts are. I can't think of a single non-truck non-SUV vehicle in the US that is rated to tow anything.

Edit: Apparently the Volvo S60 is. :shrug:

I mean... the cars have towing capacity listed just about everywhere but North America. It's not as though a Corolla can't magically tow a small trailer if you put a hitch on it.

Nov 6, 2002

I wasn't even specifically referring to cars. Small CUVs and mini-vans have rated towing capacity in America, but it's rarely utilized as well.

Nov 6, 2002

The only truck we owned when I was a kid was an 80s era S10 and my memories mostly consists of engine knock and the upholstery falling down from the ceiling (why did that use to be such a problem in domestic cars??).

Nov 6, 2002

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--tjW9MP5m--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/vve33k0bxrvjossa8rbx.mp4

https://gizmodo.com/marvel-at-this-drivable-bugatti-chiron-built-from-a-mil-1828680513

quote:

The replica looks nearly perfect, but it’s what’s under the hood, or, more accurately, inside the trunk, that’s most impressive. Lego connected 2,304 of its Technic motors using 2,016 axle pieces, and 4,032 plastic gears, to create a functional electric motor that generates upwards of 5.3-horsepower. That’s no where near enough power to satisfying slam you back into your seat as you accelerate in this Chiron, but it’s enough to get the model up to over 18 miles per hour which is nothing to balk at.

Nov 6, 2002

Those Euros really are more lax when it comes to towing with small cars!

http://i.imgur.com/inkHoXh.mp4

RIP that roof.

Nov 6, 2002

When has panelling ever aged well?

Nov 6, 2002

Look, if they made cars like that who would buy a Regal? Come on now.

Nov 6, 2002

I had no idea Buick made a convertible. Who in the market for a convertible would buy a Buick??

Nov 6, 2002

Turds fell out at every corner? Is it fueled by poop?

Nov 6, 2002

Has any manufacturer ever taken an SUV and stuck sliding doors on second row?

Nov 6, 2002

Apparently you can get a Ford has a wheel chair accessible Explorer. Nevermind it's a conversion.

Nov 6, 2002

BloodBag posted:

With all the procedures of renting a car, and all the speed of someone going through the steps the first time ever. Doing the same at uhaul? Better have reserved it two weeks ago. We have several 40 foot vans available! :v:

I've rented a pickup from Uhaul on at least two occasions and only bothered to reserve it the night before. :confused:

I've also rented their cargo van (same price as pickup) when I was picking up a bunch of flooring and logistically it was better than the pickup - kept it all nice and dry.

But, yeah the checkout process still sucked. What the hell are they typing into their computer for 20 minutes when you rent a goddamn vehicle that you already reserved?

Nov 6, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow, you're not kidding: 6001 lbs gross vehicle weight rating for the Ascent. How much does an F150 weigh anyway?

Why the gently caress is it so heavy compared to other cars in that class?

Nov 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

Is that a belt you drag around?

I thought at first it was a bunch of buttons and you had to constantly press one to adjust the heading. :psyduck:

Nov 6, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

I don't doubt that this is where shitboxes go to die, its just crazy how many Pontiacs there are around here.

I'm talking about Grand Am's, Grand Prix's, G6's, all 100% GM Cars. Like here is a typical auto sales lot for the area:

I count 4.

I'm pretty sure Grand Am's will be driving around during the heat death of the universe.

Nov 6, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/JcIBBeo.mp4

Nov 6, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

Yep, that's how that works. I had to explain it to the missus when we got her new car. "I wanna test all my new safety features like the impact mitigation system!" "It doesn't stop the car. It slows the car right before you hit something so the hit isn't as hard."

If there's nothing behind the car why doesn't it just slam on the brakes?

Nov 6, 2002

Here is IIHS, same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMFbMV5QNzk&t=73s

BMW just sucks at this.

Nov 6, 2002

what the actual gently caress

quote:

the CX-3 is 168 inches long, the CX-5 is about 179 inches, and the new CX-30 comes in at 173

lol

Nov 6, 2002

pik_d posted:

What's the point of calling it the CX-30 anywhere?

Mazda posted:

“You may be wondering about the name. As you know, CX indicates the model belongs to Mazda’s crossover SUV lineup. As for the two-digits, we want to increase customer choice in the globally growing crossover SUV segment and decided on “CX-30” after considering many possibilities.”

:what:

Nov 6, 2002

Don't dox me.

Nov 6, 2002

Something Offal posted:

Why is no one commenting on the garish chrome running all along the sides from the headlight and going until the rear quarter? Rest of the design is great.

It would look so much better if that were matte black instead.

Fake Edit: apparently that's an option.

BlackMK4 posted:

I am just surprised they decided to make the pieces that runs the length of the hood two pieces while leaving a seam.

I believe the first piece is actually the daytime running lights.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 7, 2019

Nov 6, 2002

What exactly is the appeal of the Crosstrek? I guess I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

I thought I read that they're putting the Escala concept into production in 2021?