Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cuntpunch posted:

The SX4 Crossover is pretty much the same size, shape, and drat near the same styling as the Fit. It's base model is in the price range of a Sport-trim Fit but it actually has traction and stability control. Why people haven't figured it out as a great deal is beyond me.

I've driven both, the SX4 is way noisier and the inside looks even cheaper than the fit. It also uses more gas and the trunk isn't really big either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

hedge posted:

You can turn it off. Alternatively, the sound files are stored on an SD card so you could replace the voices using a Mr. T or William Daniels soundboard.

You mean it's real and like in the video ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Lots of married men with big families should buy a minivan, but insist on an SUV instead, entirely for image reasons. A minivan with more 'aggressive' styling might get a few of those customers for Dodge.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

You don't have this one ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

The Eqqus won't be sold in every Hyundai dealership, just a few selected ones.

I just image googled eqqus and got a full page of half naked harry potter with a horse. Bad start.

edit: make that fully naked.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Why do all Audi look exactly the same ? All the other brands manage to make their models distinctive enough that you don't need to have a look at the bagde to see what it is.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And that A7 looks roughly fourteen thousand times better than the 5GT

That's not really a feat, considering that the 5GT is a giant turd on wheels. Is there anything worse in the same price range ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

eames posted:

A Mini-Van. Picture says it all. :negative:
2013, 5 seats, FWD, will presumably share a platform with the Countryman.

Looks like an Audi A2, only much uglier. It was a nice car.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The Juke in its only 4wd guise costs the equivalent of 30k here. For this price you get it all of course, but still, do they think they are BMW and can pull it off like this is the new mini crossover ? Wtf Nissan ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

You forgot Q3. Every time I look, there's a new Audi bodystyle. Did you know they made an A5 fastback? :monocle: I didn't until now. I can't wait for Audi to get into BOF light duty pickup trucks.

They all look identical anyway, you choose one based on two things : do you hate the back passengers a little or a lot, and the average length of the parking places in your neighbourhood.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

wav3form posted:

Have you ever owned one?

All the ones I drove (A3, A4, A6) were nothing special, just quite silent inside, reasonably comfortable, and cramped.
If you buy the equivalent VW, you usually get a little more interior space for less money, and very similar comfort / noise. Especially true of the new Golf.
The only one I'd consider is the A3 sportswagon, it's a Golf with a slightly bigger boot, and the price difference is relatively small too.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

el topo posted:

That's the one Audi that doesn't make any sense in my book -- a Golf in a dinner jacket and with a price increase to match.

The A3 is the only car in the Audi lineup to be FWD and have a transversally-mounted engine, so it's going to have torque steer that you're not going to find in the other models. Some of the other Audis are also available in FWD in base trim but they have longitudinally-mounted engines. The AWD A3 retains a front-wheel bias whereas the other AWD Audis have either 50-50 or 60-40 rear-biased torque distribution standard.

Also the AWD version only has an electronic Haldex system as opposed to a mechanical Torsen system like on the other Quattro cars.

I tested the Gold anf the A3 and the A3 was quieter with absolutely nothing vibrating in the cabin even on cobblestones, it had a bigger boot (not much, but also more practical in shape), and the price difference as a company car was like 10€/month.
I do agree though that I would never buy one with my own money, the price difference is quite a bit higher then, not including more expensive maintenance.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

eames posted:

2012 1 series

Oh hey, a VW polo. Wait no, it's the most hideous BMW ever, nevermind.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
From a european perspective all this talk about the Cruze commanding a premium is science-fiction. Down here it's a value car, supposedly slightly less well put together that the latest focus / golf but similar.
It costs much less than a Jetta too, to the tune of 25%.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

dissss posted:

Well you still have the Astra which is like a nicer version of the same thing so I guess that affects positioning.

Its probably still cheaper in the States though given most of their cars are.

The top of the line manual 5 door (LTZ 2.0 diesel 163hp) is 20599€, or slightly less than the price of the most basic Jetta available (1.2 TSI 105hp). Yes, VW prices are retarded, but hordes of morons still buy them.

Depending on the exchange rate that's between 20 and 30k USD of course so the comparison is not easy.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, perhaps it's a reflection on needing to gain back extra practicality when people generally buy smaller cars, but the "standard" car for people to buy here is something Focus- or Golf-sized with a hatch. If anything, the UK is the most pro-hatch country, more so than in Europe.

I don't actually understand the appeal of a saloon version. For some ungodly reason the "I need to go somewhere" pool car at work is a Mondeo saloon, rather than the hatch. It doesn't look or drive any different, it just means you can't fit as much stuff in the back. There is a supposed argument about shell stiffness with a saloon, but really? We're not talking about performance vehicles and 10/10ths driving here.

It doesn't help that most "it's meant to be a hatch, but we'll build a saloon too" designs are really ugly with that boot on the back.

As for the rear torsion beam setup, there's nothing that bad about them. Might not be perfect, but as a cheap way of building a trailing arm system with an anti-roll bar function, it does the job. From a manufacturer's point of view, there are other things they could spend money on rather than proper IRS, and these are things that are more appealing to the average buyer.

I just checked : we don't even get the Mondeo saloon here, only hatch and "clipper".

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm looking at GM Germany's website and the top of the line manual sedan Cruze is E22k.

Indeed, I was looking at the hatch and manual. Why is the hatch 100€ cheaper ? It looks like a more angular Astra. Does it also have the less nice suspension as the Cruze sedan ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Holy poo poo a Mazda hosed an Aston.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

Also: The rear three quarter view of the new Honda CR-V bothers me in ways I can't quite explain.

Is that because it's a poo poo copy of the Volvo XC60 concept ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Concept? Those things have ben out a year or so now. I want one, but the fact a £40k suv can be had for £16k at 9 months old suggests they may have issues.

I meant that it looks more like the concept than the production xc60.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The only problem I see with LEDs is that if one of the dozens of individual leds of the "eyebrows" dies (which happens...), you have to replace the whole thing, which will be very costly. And you'll probably have to to pass whatever vehidle inspection is mandatory in your country/state.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ppp posted:

Volvo not bringing the v40 to the US

RIP, another smallish wagon.

It's closer to a hatch than a proper wagon from what I gathered.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I love the estate version:

Except the boot, it looks like a friggin ferry boat opening :

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
WTF Ferrari ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

davebo posted:

I don't get why most automatics don't come with various pre-configured settings so people can switch from sport to eco or highway/city/gridlock whatever. It can't be difficult to just have a button that changes a couple variables in the computer.

My DSG box has two settings: shift too early, or shift too late !

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people not really like diesel? I've never really heard of this negative attitude toward diesels but that seems kind of retarded considering diesels are a lot more economic than conventional gas?

They are noisy. When I go to a city where, unlike here, most cars are -not- diesel, I find the silence completely eerie, like a ghost town.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Kerrow posted:

This isn't very exciting news to anyone, but the new Skoda Octavia wagon has been unveiled.

I like it, a lot.

It's significantly longer than the one it replaces, as usual... Some of use live in cities where a few cm can make the difference between parking close to home or a mile away.
Guess I'll replace mine with a MPV in a few years if all else fails.

Makes me wonder how gigantic the next Superb will be.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

A through-road hybrid system is capable of providing AWD while also increasing the gas mileage and there's at least a couple on sale right now by Peugeot. Other manufacturers are also (at least planning on) making their own versions. While Peugeot's system works out to about an extra 200 pounds curb weight, much of that's for the battery. If the system is integrated into a car that's already a hybrid it's potentially less than half the weight penalty because it doesn't need an extra battery or dedicated generator. With more time to mature, electric AWD should be competitive with mechanical AWD.

There's also the Citroen DS5, which looks much better imo than the Peugeots: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-citroen-ds5-hybrid4-review/265230

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

blk posted:

Oh good, another BMW designed exclusively for the douche market:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/bmw-x4-concept-images-leak-ahead-of-shanghai-debut/

Needs some

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

So, the new Peugeot 308. I like it. The gaping maw and shark nose and the rest of the questionable styling is gone, as is a lot of the chub. It's a lot more conservative in looks than the old one, but that's a good thing. In the good old days, Citroën did all the crazy outrageous brilliantly engineered stuff and Peugeot did the well-driving dependable cars for people who weren't quite mad enough to buy a Citroën. I say it's a return to form, and a good one, the 508 and 208 were early indicators, but this is the big seller. If you're going to compete seriously in the Golf class, you need to look the part and not like some crazy experiment like the old car did.

It's only just been announced, they'll be formally unveiling it at the Frankfurt motorshow. I'm sure it'll have a perfectly normal collection of gasoline and diesel engines, mostly four-cylinders in the 1.2-1.6L range, with and without turbos, figure maybe 160hp for the top turbo 1.6L gasoline version. Considering the 208 GTI with 200hp, a 230hp 308 GTI doesn't seem out of the question.

And I bet I'm the only AIer who's even slightly excited about this car. Considering how crap Peugeot were for a period, I think I have every right to be excited.

This car (or more likely the wagon version) could be a strong contender for my next car.

Having been the victim of a 407sw, I can honestly say that "interesting design" actually means "impractical bullshit" when it comes to Peugeot.
This is boring, nothing sets it apart from anything else in the same class. I predict it will be slightly cheaper than a golf but not as good... And with abysmal residuals to top it off.
Why can't more cars be like the Citroen DSx range ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Kerrow posted:

I posted a new Skoda Octavia some time ago, now they released the vRS (220HP, lowered) version.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-revealed

The sedan is pretty boring, but oh man, that wagon in white :swoon:

It just RIGHT expept the wheels.

Indeed, for some reason Skoda can't make sedans (hatchbacks in fact in the case of the Octavia), or hybrid sedans/hatchback monstruosity for the Superb)

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

All I see is a bunch of monochromatic grainy cheap plastic that would be lambasted in an American vehicle. It looks like the 2007 Pontiac G6 I sat in recently.

Gauge clusters all looked like that in the early 1990s.

I agree with you: boring, even a little on the ugly side but:
Nearly all soft touch and indestructible with a nice quality feel. Have you ever put your rear end in a VW group car ? Not very daring design, but the interiors will outlast most everything else on the road.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Might be luck but I've never been in a VW with anything broken. Many other brands, even on seemingly newish cars, yes (Volvo - a V60, Mercedes - a C Class, Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet, Opel, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot etc etc).
Given that VW is everywhere, it's unlikely it was pure luck.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Devyl posted:

Are... Are you praising VW's soft touch interior?

Yes, why ? Recent VWs such as the golf have really nice quality interiors. Not in the US ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm really not sure what I want yet, to be honest, it's more I was surprised to find myself looking in this direction and not running for the hills immediately.

Any decision I make is going to be less about logic/fiscal sense than "I fancy trying one of those, maybe". Besides, I can rationalise anything, no point pretending otherwise.

Are the prices you compare straight from the websites of the manufacturers, or from actual quotes by dealers ? At least here Toyota will give large discounts while Smart, being a snooty company, will not.
Plus the iQ is better in every single way. Did you even try it ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm not really at the stage of properly test driving or pushing dealers for prices, this is the much earlier "wander round and look at things idly" stage.

Really liked the Up, only downside I can see is that it's plain AC rather than climate control. The iQ is ok too, though for some reason the leather seats don't come with heating?

Like I said, I'm not so much posting about what I want or what I'm intending to do, more to say "a car I always thought was stupid ticked some boxes, so I had a look at one and was surprised I didn't instantly hate it".

That's because leather seats are stupid and a huge waste of money. If you like the Up have a look at the Mii and Citigo, same car, cheaper.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Buy a second hand 1.3 with 100hp, it is awesome.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Mazda's marketing budget is probably puny compared to Honda's and Toyota's efforts in the US. That has a LOT to do with sales. Dodge/Chrysler sales skyrocketed after they started running expensive ads a few years ago. There was of course a jump in quality, but nonetheless the ads had a big effect.

Honda's ads are awesome : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11j11w_pub-honda-hands_creation#.UeGeENLfCfc and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWk9N92-wvg

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

lazer_chicken posted:

Oh yeah, my father-in-law complains endlessly about how terrible the gas mileage is and how big/difficult-to-park it is. But that tiny trailer with a mower and a weed whacker on it isn't going to tow itself!

On one hand we have the US based idiots who think you need a full-size pick up with a V8 to tow 500 pounds, and at the other end of the spectrum we have the Dutch, who think this poo poo is somehow a good idea. An argument for making weed illegal if I've ever seen one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, I find it pretty disappointing after their poo poo-talking the 86, a classic-looking sports car that actually exists. Another fantasy concept, and a fairly ugly one at that with really tortured-looking faux-retro styling. Which one is the midlife crisis mobile again? The one that will be relevant to young people born after the 70s?

In the extremely unlikely chance it makes it to production, it will probably look more like the concept they did in 2008:

Is that a Saab ?