Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Dislike button posted:

Most car designers in the last several years haven't gotten that memo. You can get some stripper model cars with 15"s but even the new Accord has 19"s stock (depending on trim). I think we can all agree that wheels that fill the well generally look better, ride consequences aside.

I literally decided to get a base Accord instead of the Sport just to get smaller wheels when I bought last year. DC pot holes are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Mange Mite posted:

AWD is rather bad on minivans because the need for additional drivetrain to the rear wheels compromises the whole low+flat floor thing that, along with sliding doors, more or less defines the category. People like minivans because they're easy to get in/out due to the low floors and high roofs. Until electric AWD systems get cheap and common, it's going to be a tricky sell because of packaging.

I wish more companies did "mini" minivans like the Mazda5 or the Ford Transit Connect. Does Europe get any interesting options that aren't available in the US?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember seeing pictures of a 4-door Wrangler concept in like 1995 or so. Chrysler could have printed money selling it then, during peak SUV. Idiots.

Peak SUV is now.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Q_res posted:

Well, I think the guy before was talking about using the Silverados 4.3 V6 in the Colorado instead of the 3.6, which to be fair would seem better suited for it.

As for the Ranger, I'd almost be willing to guarantee that the engine lineup is going to be 3.3/2.3EB/2.7EB/5 cylinder diesel out of the Transit.

The 4.3 is only better suited if you used it as a truck. The 3.6 is better for what most people use it for, an SUV with a bed.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

If anything it probably depreciates more than that, the used car market is not doing so hot and there are deals to be had:

What article is this from? Do you have a link?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Sadi posted:

I mean let's not beat around the bush, it's impressive the BMWs are that light. There's got to be a lot of carbon and aluminum to get cars with all those luxury features at those weights. The stinger looks cool, but I imagine they aren't quite 5 series well equipped.

That's true, the Stinger is probably much better equipped.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Powershift posted:

new G30 M5

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-bmw-m5-photos-and-information-news

still the S63, 24 pounds of boost, 600hp, 553ft/lbs.AWD only, no manual transmission, 4350lbs.

With teslas and hellcats and stuff, it just doesn't seem $100k special anymore.

How are they on G already? E lasted for 50 years, how did F only last for a decade?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

$40k 3-series competitor with two option and trim packages, sure out the nail in Infiniti's coffin. Then aim at Lincoln Mercury small sedans.

Hyundai truck will be hilarious. I'm picturing a Korean Subaru Baja.

The G80 starts at $41k, so the G70 won't be that expensive. Probably start around $33-34k.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Wife stopped at the Honda dealer this AM and looked over the Civic EX-T manual sedan they had on the lot. She was impressed, it's optioned pretty well and she seemed to be happy with the size. She also liked a few accords they had there, but I don't think the MPG would be that close between them.

Not sure what we're expecting for trade-in for the Sonata, but I may have to go down there later after work to check it out if the numbers aren't that far out of line. (MSRP around $23k for the civic ex-t)

For $2k more than an EX-T you can get an Si.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BMW has been making bad Mazdas at twice the price for years.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CornHolio posted:

The fabled mid-engined Corvette?

Are you sure that is a GM product? Looks like a convertible NSX to me.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Powershift posted:

People already pay $100k for LS based mid engine kit cars.

Is GM dumb enough to use their turbo 6 instead of a sbc?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

My favorite dealership experience was when we were buying a Jeep for my wife. I e-mailed all the Jeep dealers within 1.5 hours told them we would buy the next weekend and let me know their best price. The dealership that offered the best price happened to be the one that was the furthest away, about 1.5 hours.

We confirm everything with the salesperson via e-mail the day prior and drive over on Saturday to buy the car. The guy refused to honor the price he had given us over e-mail and kept trying to tell us what a great deal he was giving us for a price that was a couple thousand more. We walked out and bought from a place that was a few hundred more than his original quote.

Never buying a car from a Len Stoler dealership.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

How much more is the DOHC engine going to weigh compared to a small block? Why wouldn't they just twin-turbo a small block?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

Meanwhile Nissan is the worst. Calling Nissan "Japanese Chrysler" today is an insult to FCA, who does actually make vehicles that people dream about owning.

I don't think there's a single Nissan worth buying new today. Even if you have bad credit, Hyundai/Kia make better vehicles than Nissan.

The Leaf is good.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I have to admit it will be interesting to see how Tesla does when they aren't the only usable EV in town. Dealerships vs sales centers, the big touchscreen vs buttons, superchargers vs charging networks; if nothing else it will be entertaining to watch.

Chevrolet and Nissan already make better electric cars.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Kicks seems decent. It's probably one of four sub-compact SUVs worth looking at.

Leaf is a good car for what it is.

Other then that, Nissan doesn't have any really competitive products.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know when Honda usually announces their model year refresh? Appears that 2020 will get an updated Civic Type-R, Civic Si, and Fit. I will be buying one of the three, just curious how long I need to wait to see if it is worth it.

I read this as Fit Si and now am incredibly sad.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

Modern GM would build that Wrangler fighter, and have it 20% short of greatness in the first-gen. And then GM would totally gently caress up the redesign.

GM would be more likely to build a Wrangler fighter, have it be 20% short of greatness in the first gen then cancel it 2 years after the 2nd gen makes it awesome.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

If acura still made the tsx sport wagon, it would be an AI favorite.

Only if they made it with a manual transmission this time. :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Does anyone have the picture showing how all 80s coupes look the same? I can't find it on the internet. iirc, the cars were all red in the picture. Thanks for whomever has it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

In my hands the 86 isn't slow at all.

Just like the MX-5.

Honestly this whole Waaawaaa 86 slow!!!! is absolutely loving dumb as gently caress bullshit by bench racers. And hypocritical as gently caress when the MX-5 gets a pass. Drive the ringer off it and welp no it's not slow at all.

I think the issue is that the 86 is heavy for what it is. It's not a convertible, so it doesn't need additional strengthening. It should be 200 lbs less. Also, too much weight over the nose.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

The V6 Camry isn't the best vehicle in its class, or even the best Camry

The IS, GS, and LS are direct competitors to the 3, 5, and 7 Series respectively. The ES is priced like a 3 Series, and it offers far more room at the expense of driving dynamics since it's an LWB Camry underneath.

I sat in a new LS recently and the interior justifies the price, even if it feels small for such a big car. I appreciate the LS's styling as every LS after the original one has looked staid to me. Lexus should've kept the V8 though.

The ES shares its platform with the Avalon now, not the Camry.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

But now you can get a 2.0T detuned type R motor/6MT

Does the 2.0 also have the oil dilution issue?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

PT6A posted:

Have we just been lied to all this time and Italy is actually a 3rd-world country?

There was never a lie. Italy has never been part of the USA.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

AMC's legacy lives on by inspiring a generation of German stylists. The Germans think the Eagle was the pinnacle of design and have been trying to replicate it with the X6 and other SUV coupes.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

This is nice looking.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

If the BRZ/86 had a Toyota motor in it, it would be inline. This would dramatically raise the hood, and the belt line. It would also move the CG both forward and higher in the car. Yes there are problems with many Subaru engines but they have serious advantages for packaging and CG.

That's incorrect.

They'd be able to mount the motor further back if it was inline and get some weight off the front end.

It would have a higher CG, however.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean you want a wagon but unless you're splashing twice as much money for an E-class or a V90 you really can't get the space in a true wagon form

Buick TourX?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

It's sad that you can no longer buy a manual wagon or midsize sedan in the USA anymore. Going to make it hard to buy a new car when I'm due in three or four years. :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is it? I recall most people who cross shopped said it was not impressive.

It's literally the best EV you can buy right now (factoring in price).

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

kronix posted:

GMs problems

1. Management
2. Dealerships
3. Lack of internal competition
4. Uninspired, committee driven design
5. No class leading products

The company is so fundamentally hosed up in so many ways that anything short of fundamental transformation always ends up the same way. New leader comes in, GM gets a run of good products, finance ruins them, management gets fired.

Corvette and Bolt are arguably class leading.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

Only poseurs would consider :airquote: entry level a burn :shrug:

I have wondered how long it will take Ferrari to poo poo its bed in the marketplace with increasingly mediocre products (Exhibit A: the Roma). We're definitely agreed on this one

It hasn't made a difference the last 30 years.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

It's about as distracting as a touchscreen because you still have to look down to find stuff. The buttons are small and not differentiated well by feel or color, and the giant button bank means there's no place to put your phone.

The phone can go in your pocket.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

The new XC90s have optional full wool upholstery like a Toyota Century

Full doing a lot of work when it's 70% polyester and 30% wool.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

The whole design of the twins leverages the packaging of the boxer. An inline motor is so much longer and taller that it would push the hood up and forward with the required distance between the engine and outer body panels. Sure some guys have swapped them and made it work, but they don’t have to pass pedestrian impact regulations

An inline motor can fit between the front axle a lot easier and would be further back and help weight distribution. It wouldn't be more forward.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You can not put a inline motor further back in a BRZ without major firewall and transmission tunnel work. Also the front crossmember is in a reeeeeeally awkward place for the sump. Also that bonnet doesnt close too easy

Source - I got the Toyota I4 we fit into a BRZ at the side of the garage.

Yes, but the current car is designed around the boxer. I'm saying if it was designed for an inline engine from the start, it would have better weight distribution.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

[angrily] blublublublub

Man, new ZR1 looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

New cars are dumb because no one offers a wagon or manual anymore.

The Miata is still the greatest car. Anything more than 300hp is a complete waste.