Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sagebrush posted:

"Aww, hell no! Moms drive station wagons! I'm getting one of those cool new minivans!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive minivans! I'm getting one of those cool new SUVs!"
"Aww, hell no! Moms drive SUVs! I'm getting one of those cool new Crossovers!"

Only a matter of time before we're onto the next cycle. Personally I'm hoping we get stations wagons back at some point.

Did you know: the main reason that auto manufacturers started putting tinted windows on cars because of the exact same attitudes outlined above? Nobody wants to be perceived as a parent, so tinting the rear windows lets you hide the kids in the back and pretend you're still single and attractive to the young guy/girl next to you at the stoplight. It's just an impossible level of egotism.

"Aww hell no! Moms drive cars! I'm getting a Lyft / riding my bike."

Also aren't there different laws regarding factory tint of the rear windows for trucks and cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Read about a new car you like? Post it here, in the let's debate phone platforms for the trillionth time thread.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Plus they seem to age far, far better than anything else. I haven't seen a calpped-out Prius bombing around on blown suspension like I do with every single Escalade or Excursion ever made. Or old Hyundais.

The Prius is the perfect car for everyone who doesn't care about driving, which is a gigantic population. Not sure how they've hosed up so long not having a Prius branded crossover but I think it's coming soon as the replacement for the V.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

MrYenko posted:

but Prius is awful in every way that isn’t reliability or fuel economy.

There is a huge number of car buyers where these are the only two things they care about.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Nothing wrong with this. There are a lot of people out there that just see vehicles as appliances. I think sometimes we "enthusiasts" forget we're a small part of the overall market.

YUP

skipdogg posted:

I've never gotten the appeal of the Rogue. I think the price point has a lot(most) to do with it's sale numbers, almost everything else in the class is a better vehicle.

Cheapest, smallest thing you can get three rows in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Savagegeese is pretty much the best car reviews

I hate this guy, and *really* hate the neanderthal mechanic he uses for tech inspection.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

6 of them though? Also lol at rs5 rear timing chain.

Yeah, that Audi V8 is a pretty big counter-example to the "Germans design their cars to be maintained" idea.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

...and I'm really surprised more goons didn't put their money where their mouth is and pick one up.

Are you, though?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mazda, Volvo and Porsche are the only good manufacturers.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I don't want a BMW but holy gently caress do I want an E46 M3.

Or an E46 M3 swapped into a wagon.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

The Challenger seems to do okay considering it's not a very good car basically off the nostalgia/road presence.

It's because you can get it on an eight-year loan with no credit.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

He's saying they messed up by making it rwd instead of awd, and he's completely right.

The thing they're saying here is that the new car is a RWD *platform.* As in the options are RWD and AWD, not FWD and AWD like current Explorer-platform vehicles.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah even in small coupe-ey 2+2 car having a liftback and seats that fold down adds a ton of versatility.

I used to gig an upright bass, with amp and a stool in a 240SX liftback. It makes me sad that the FRSBRZ is a trunk instead of a liftback.

prom candy posted:

My next car will definitely be a hatchback or a lift back. They're just better.

We've basically replaced everyone who used to buy a sedan with a crossover, all with hatches! Proving that hatches are the best once again.

davebo posted:

but does anyone make like a RAV-4 or CRV equivalent with a really luxurious interior, or does everyone want to push people upmarket once they're in a high end dealership?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The CX-5 has a bettter interior but still not luxe. There just isn't a market for nice cars on cheap badges.

Yeah, Mazda's deal nowadays is basically what you're looking for - an upmarket enough experience without the brand pretension - but they're slower to put in some features (although they're getting faster.) The CX5 interior is a notable cut above all its non-luxury competition and maybe close to something like a Lexus / Acura, but still far behind Volvo or Audi.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I drive a slightly-lowered MS3 on the roads of Oakland, which might as well be the moon. It's loving stupid.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Explain why I, generic American commuter, would be better off driving an Escape than a Focus, or a RAV4 than a Corolla.

edit: Holy poo poo, once the cars go away, the cheapest vehicle in Ford's lineup will be $20k starting (compared with a little over $14k currently)

* Hatches are better than trunks.
* CUVs are easier to get into.
* Ground clearance + sidewall is better on lovely roads
* More greenhouse and ability to see out of the car due to side impact regulations (and styling trends, maybe?) making windows on cars too drat small.
* Gas mileage on small CUVs is close enough to cars.
* The average America commuter doesn't give a poo poo about driving dynamics, modern traction control and driving assists mean the rollover thing isn't an issue.
* Manufacturers put better poo poo in their CUVs most of the time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

This is how those real people commercials with Chevy make sense. "This cruze looks like a bmw!"

To be fair, I drive an '04 and an '07 and every time I get in a rental car that's anything above the absolute cheapest tier it feels like a spaceship. All cars are so good nowadays that if you're not used to something from the last few years everything seems amazing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah. This kills me.

And you know goddamn well that *one* incandescent loving turn signal will freak everything out if you replace it with an LED.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Mazda is the best manufacturer in every segment it competes in imo

Yup.

The CR-V definitely beats the CX5 in terms of practicality but the CX5 wins in all other measures. It's so, so, so good.

Twerk from Home posted:

I had a rental 6 last week, and it didn't comfortably fit a 6' adult in front of a rear-facing baby seat and was also louder inside than other midsizers.

Definitely the driver's car in the segment, though.

Mazda's going through applying the interior treatment they did on the 2nd gen CX9 to all their other cars and the 6 was last to get it with the 2018 car. CX5 got it in 2017, as did the 3, CX3 is getting it in 2019. Before those refreshes the cars are definitely on the loud side - they made them light first then figured out how to get them quiet afterwards, but the post-refresh ones are drat quiet. My new CX9 is like a bank vault at speed.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Nobody wants the old people segment though

Old people are buying crossovers now, just like everyone else.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

For some manufacturers I feel like the 2000's were when they figured out how to make a perfect "normal" car and then the 2010's were all about adding new technologies.

Look at a Corolla, RAV4, Protege, Civic, etc from 2003ish... all the basics are super solid. Or even BMW, the E46 was comparatively simple and dialed in compared to what followed it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Charger / Challenger sales are mostly because it's the toughest looking thing that you can get on a subprime loan.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, the 155hp Miata was only a tiny bit slower than an S2000, the 180hp one with a 7500 rpm redline and availability of BBS / Brembo / Bilstein / Recaro / LSD package will be really drat nice. Won't keep up with a 718 or anything but it'll be super fun.

Now, on the precipice of the Skyactiv-X, It'd be cool if Mazda applied the same redline & breathing improvements to the 2.5 engine and have that as an option in the Mazda3 as well. 210-ish horsepower naturally aspirated in the next-generation Mazda3, potentially with the same sort of "Club / BBS" package the Miata can get would be a really unique offering.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Correct. Only turbo Mazdas right now in the US are the CX9 and the top motor in the Mazda6.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Tremek posted:

Mazda's turbo DI 4s have been pretty bad for them for the past decade or so. Note how quietly they have all disappeared from their lineup.

Apocryphal personal experience: My brand-new '08.5 Mazdaspeed 3 lunched a crank bearing after 14,000 miles and 364 days of ownership. The Mazda CX-7 is notorious for being hugely unreliable.

What exactly is your perception?

The MZR was/is pretty unreliable for sure, and the last of the Ford-era stuff overall was pretty rattly and clunky - although nothing that would leave you stranded.

The post-Ford / Skyactiv engine and platform stuff, though, should probably be considered a different car company altogether. As far as I can tell the Skyactiv Turbo's reliability is good so far.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

uh i hate to burst anyone's bubble but the 2000s trailblazers were not good so who really cares about the name

My dad has an 06-ish with the straight six and he loves it, which is terribly embarrassing as it's a gigantic early-90's piece of poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I've done TrueCar through USAA for my last three dealership car purchases, two new and one used, without hassle.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

prom candy posted:

Death on foot: America's love of SUVs is killing pedestrians

I wonder if pedestrian safety regulations could see a return to more sedans. Or weird short-nosed SUVs.

20mph speed limit everywhere that isn't off-limits to pedestrians and bicycles or outside a city + the hardware onboard to strictly enforce it

~fin~

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BloodBag posted:

When did this subforum go from people who liked cars to people who clutch their pearls at the thought of someone speeding in a vehicle they consider too large?

You can both enjoy cars and support restrictions on cars which would drastically improve cities and the safety of the pedestrians / bicyclists therein.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Road design has a huge role in how fast the perceived "normal" speed is, and the majority of roads in US cities are designed to get as many cars through as fast as possible regardless of what the speed limit posted is.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Regarding the upcoming MX-5 changes, I must ask RF or not?

I don’t think you can get the Recaros with the RF.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

No idea why Mazda is still loving with diesel power. Put the turbo in the CX5 for now and get cracking on electrification before it's too late.

I love my CX9 very much but I probably would rather have a turbo CX5 were it available.

And I would absolutely, without question buy a Miata with the Recaro / Brembo / BBS package were I buying a new one.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Maybe their rotary generator concept ends up working out? It's on the timeline, at least...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Q_res posted:

Firstly, those 2.3 Turbos were not Ford engines (at least, if you're talking the one out of the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6). Secondly, there do seem to be issues with the Skyactiv Turbo. Back when the CX-9 was the only turbo car in the lineup its reliability stats were far below that of anything else Mazda sold.

maybe initially, but now the CX9's reliability was one of the reasons Mazda shot up to 3rd on the latest CR reliability index

quote:

Mazda fared as well as it did despite the CX-3 losing Consumer Reports' influential "recommended" status due to problems with its climate system, including leaks from the condenser and refrigerant unit that triggered a service bulletin from the automaker in late 2016. Deputy auto editor Jon Linkov said that scratch didn't hurt the overall brand, since the CX-9 crossover and MX-5 Miata both jumped up to replace it on CR's list of newly recommended vehicles, thanks to several back fixes Mazda made to both models.

/the mazda defender has logged on/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dogchat: We use the Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash-Tested harnesses on our dogs, and have a 4knines cover on the back seat along with their door panel covers to keep the seats nice. Works great.

Mazdarearsuspensionchat: Mazda's whole thing nowadays is building excellent cars that don't look like they stack up on paper so I'm going to expect the twistbeam to be excellent until proven otherwise. You have to wonder if they'd switch it out on a hotter one, though. there won't be a hotter one

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2018

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Frond posted:

It’s actually even better. It’s wool.

I prefer even mediocre leather to almost all cloth anyone's putting in a new car today but would 100% rock wool seats.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i can't get over that Mazda3 C-pillar

dare I say the sedan looks like, 100x better?

The sedan has a character line over the rear wheel arch the hatch dropped, so in pictures it definitely looks a bit more normal but in the videos the C-pillar of the hatch seems to work better. It'll be interesting to see it in person.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The new car market is nearly dead. Just nobody buys cars anymore.

In the mid 90's 1/3 of new vehicle purchasers were over 55.

Today, it's 2/3.

No one buys new cars but extremely no one under 40 is buying new anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

Millennials killed cars :argh:

Hey, let's be fair: they killed motorcycles too.