Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes; only Americans have an irrational fear of dehydration. ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

oRenj9 posted:

They really need to start making the in-car entertainment systems easily replaceable. They could move toward a system similar to the DIN, but with connectors that will allow it to integrate with the rest of the car electronics. Then roll and "upgrade" into the price of the car. That way, after a fixed amount of time, say a year, the customer would bring the car to the dealership and they would replace the entertainment system with a modern one out of the newer model of their vehicle.

This would give companies the opportunity to respond to the responses of current customers a lot more quickly. It sucks to buy a car with a $4000 entertainment option only to find out in a month that you dislike something about it, but you're stuck with it since you just paid $40k for the thing.

It builds customer loyalty, faith in the brand, and increases profit margins. With cars staying on the road longer and longer, the company who figures out how to keep their used cars up-to-date with the latest technology is going to gain a long-term influence over millennial buyers.

Mazda sorta did that by having common connectors from the late 90s to about now. The radios were all the same size but the faceplate is unique to the car. That isn't for an infotainment system though, just their radios.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The control system between the front seats, where your hand naturally rests, is absolutely the best place to put your nav controls, and having to gorilla-arm a touch screen is the worst. I think the setup in the new A3 is just about the best possible configuration.

Hard controls for climate, controls between the seats for nav.

Where's the stereo???

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The SX4 I drove seemed nice and the Kizashi was well-reviewed. Too bad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The current Car & Driver magazine has an editorial on the death of Mitsubishi.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

How bout just a bit more info? Like, what did the author say about the presumed impending death?

I gotta reread it for more specifics and the fact I have poo poo memory, but he mentions the fact DaimlerChrysler had a stake in it and made them share platforms between the Outlander (Sport?), Galant (I think?) and Eclipse (heavy!) to save costs was a very poor choice. They don't have any compelling vehicles and their sales are a fraction of what they were about 10 years ago. He predicts their withdrawal from the U.S. market.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

People knock on the current Mazdaspeed 3 for its tiny nav screen, and it looks like the issue isn't improved on the upcoming Kodo 6.

Looks like they shoved a Clarion OEMed double DIN head where most cars would have almost exclusive screen real estate. I imagine it will be a turn off to those considering the option or those who have it packaged in.

It does make sense for those who would just ditch the OEM unit for aftermarket anyways (although aftermarket headunit GPS is generally balls), but I wonder what you would then do with the control stick between the seats:

Seems to me like they should've spent the extra supply bucks for a bigger LCD.

Seriously, Mazda, I appreciate what you do, but your interiors make me :psyduck:

Looks good to me.
Besides, they offered larger nav screens on the first gen Mazda 3; nobody wanted them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They probably aren't that big by contemporary standards, but on second gens to make it cheaper they just have that little screen. It would pop up from the top of the dash above the radio. In 2006, when I bought my car, to get Nav I would have needed to buy the Grand Touring trim, which was I think about $2000 extra, not to mention however much the nav system was. Retrofitting would be difficult as from my understanding the body harness is quite different.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

Volvo hit a parked car at 5mph pretty recently testing their automatic braking (with journalists in it if I remember correctly), and insurance costs probably go through the roof when you explain what you are testing, so I'm ok with the inflatable car.

That was Mercedes in 2005 and the test was rigged anyway.
Edit: I'm wrong. Happened to Volvo too for their pedestrian avoidance system. Ha.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 20, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, the new Impreza is lighter than its predecessor, that is a good sign.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

That linked article is rather old too - what it thinks the WRX will be isnt lookign that way apart from lighter and more power. It's looking like the STI will be filled with luxury poo poo, the WRX will be going raw.
I would have expected it to be the opposite.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that essentially the entire reason that ads have to have those dumb disclaimers is because of the shitbird who tried to get the Harrier that Pepsi showed in one commercial as a joke prize if you collected 7 million bottle caps. He didn't get it, obviously, and then sued the company for breach of contract, wasting an enormous amount of time and money on everyone's part.

So you can thank John Leonard of Seattle for demonstrating to advertisers just how phenomenally stupid and greedy the average American is.

You must be very young because disclaimers have been around for much longer than that.

Also I always thought the C230 coupe was a nice looking car, but not really great and sooooooo unreliable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

awesome-express posted:

The leaked Cherokee photos made it look horrible, but somehow it's grown on me. Kinda looks like a Q7 had a dirty encounter with a Juke in this photo. Can't say it looks bad, just different.

Does that house get rented a lot for film and photo or does it just look similar to others I've seen?

Also, as to why they don't use classic styling -- aerodynamics?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I dislike speedometers that have a large range and small sweep, but I was thinking it must be complemented by a digital speedo in the center or something, plus I think it has a HUD. (Edit, yeah,)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't forget to post pics in the post your ride thread!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Didn't somebody post a ridiculous tire change procedure one time?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
According to the Subaru Insider newsletter, Subaru is going to debut a hybrid XV Crosstek at the New York autoshow on the 28th. Hopefully they'll share that tech with other models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

1337JiveTurkey posted:

A through-road hybrid system is capable of providing AWD while also increasing the gas mileage and there's at least a couple on sale right now by Peugeot. Other manufacturers are also (at least planning on) making their own versions. While Peugeot's system works out to about an extra 200 pounds curb weight, much of that's for the battery. If the system is integrated into a car that's already a hybrid it's potentially less than half the weight penalty because it doesn't need an extra battery or dedicated generator. With more time to mature, electric AWD should be competitive with mechanical AWD.

Subaru had this concept not long ago which is a diesel hybrid that uses exclusively motors for the rear wheels.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/geneva-2013-subaru-viziv-concept-brings-a-diesel-hybrid-powertrain-and-all-wheel-drive-to-the-party/

It would be really cool if that becomes a reality, but I'm guessing it will be a gasser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The XV CrossTrek got unveiled in NY and Subaru are going to sell a poo poo load of them.

They haven't released much technical info, but it seems like a very "mild" system. Nothing special, though the city MPG should increase a few ticks, which is good. I'm waiting for them to release more detailed info.

Endless Mike posted:

I love looking at Korean cars and trying to figure out what their "influences" are.

Everything looks like something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I'm pretty sure the auto has always been a strong seller (perhaps even the volume seller) in Japan.

It's just an informal observation but the Japanese seem to like autos as much as the U.S.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slothrop posted:

Can't you just put new seats in it? I guess I understand if you can't/don't want to spend the extra bucks?

Seats in street cars now all have airbags in them. You can't get that in an aftermarket product.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sim posted:

From: http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/expertise/safety.html

I think it might be the Ergomed line? I don't know, but apparently they exist.

That's cool, I wouldn't have expected there to be a universal aftermarket airbag.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I finally saw a 2014 Forester in the flesh the other day. The proportions and styling somehow make it look much nicer than the previous generation and not a supertall turd or something. It is larger too, but the EPA sticker is something like 25 / 34 with the CVT. My 2006 Mazda 3 is 22 / 29. That really seems quite good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the Silverado would look a lot better without the logo sewn into the headrest.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bellevue, Washington, you mean. There are a few Bellevues across the world, including Western Australia; both are Bellevue, WA. :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Yeah that interior is pretty ugly IMO

I like the classic Toyota clock though, haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Math You posted:

Is this for 2014 or has there been one and just not in Canada? Now you are going to make me really happy and tell me there is a speed version.. Right?

It's not in North America.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I noticed that too. It's a disappointment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

I just noticed this right now. The new Mazda3 has a HUD, and not the lame project-on-windscreen one like a BMW, an actual honest to god glass targeting reticule. It pops up.

The next new Audi better loving have a helmet mounted display to let you see the road beneath your feet. :f35:

I saw that; I wonder how practical it'll be.
I'm guessing it'll just be on the top level trim.
What was neat about the first gen 3 is that you could get a lot of goodies that weren't common in compact cars in the Grand Touring trim. For example: leather, xenon headlights, auto wipers, LED taillights, climate control, and optionally a fully featured navigation system (nicer than the second gen, really). That stuff is a lot more common now of course. Too bad I couldn't find a GT in stick or I might have got one. Oh well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Datsun brand has officially been revived as a budget car, at least for the Indian market, and probably some more in the future.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-nissan-datsun-go-20130715,0,7683911.story

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I really can't remember many because I drive a lot of cars in a week, but in particular I can't figure out how to adjust my girlfriend's GH impreza's wheel for the life of me. I'm really short and she has the factory sparco buckets which sit you really low in the car to begin with. I haven't looked at the manual, I've just fished my hand around the steering rack a few times and felt disappointed.

Here's the illustration from the manual, don't know what models do / don't come equipped (I guess it's an option).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

I'm trying hard not to reply to this in a way that comes off as rude, but thanks, I do actually understand all of that already. But when speaking to GM's engine designers, they were pretty up front about not wanting to have go down a whole new road of smaller displacement DOHC turbo DI engines and so developed things like cylinder deactivation instead. And it doesn't look like anyone else is designing new large-capacity pushrod V8s right now.

Actually for the Corvette GM looked at smaller displacement turbo engines and ended up with worse mileage because they couldn't match the torque of the V8 even when it's running on half the cylinders and the smaller engines would strain more to keep up. I'm sure you can get a better technical explanation from someone here. Furthermore, they have small displacement turbo engines for their smaller cars so I'm not sure what you're talking about nor am I sure what point you're trying to make.

The derail was started by asking why power vs. displacement is a useless metric. It's very simple: all that matters is results.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Well where are all those sperglords who were pining for manual steering? Your car is here.

It was the guy with his 1985 IROC-Z, the pinnacle of automotive engineering who was going stupid about it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Know what new car I'm excited for?? THE ŠKODA YETI!!

Alright, not that excited, as I live in the U.S. where it doesn't exist, but it's a cool car, with a ringing endorsement by everybody's favorite show, Top Gear.

The 2014 model gets a refresh and a new "outdoors" model or something. The biggest new feature? A rearview camera.
They seemed pretty popular when I was in the Czech Republic a while back. Seems very utilitarian and practical, with a 5th-gen Haldex AWD for this new model at least and the usual array of VW group small gas & diesel motors & transmissions, including 6-speed DSG.

If I move to Europe I'm definitely getting one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know if you had the opportunity to see but did you get any impression of the noise level in the car, especially at freeway speed? That's something that's not that great on my 2006.
I see the parking brake is closer to the driver, now.
edit: Umm

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 28, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think former Mazda3 hatch owners who also have medium-sized dogs that chill in the rear are going to be pissed about the new version. The last gen had already taken some of that space away, so maybe those buyers will just be pushed to something else instead of the urban hipster new version.

Hmm, that is how I transport my dog (with a protective barrier).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Doesn't pedestrian impact standards mean the hood is higher or something?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461390

Here's the link to the EV megathread. I've only heard positive things.

There aren't really any mysterious fires by the way. The one that caught on fire hit a very large piece of metal debris that would have caused serious damage to any car. Remember, the cars we drive now are full of flammable liquid much more dangerous than a battery. It's discussed in the megathread. If you want a more eloquent and detailed response, you can read this article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/10/04/elon-musk-explains-how-model-s-caught-on-fire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oh yeah collapsed from 5 to 3. I like quirky vehicles and AWD wagons actually but the Crosstour / ZDX, meh.

Hopefully we see some OEMs pick up that diesel engine.