Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not really sure you can do that. I mean yeah, top fuel dragsters do it in less than 1 second, but they have super-sticky wrinkle-wall drag slicks, super-sticky track surfaces, loads of wheelspin, over 8000hp and massive downforce from sheer exhaust pressure.

And this is a fully street legal, fully-equipped luxury car with airbags etc. and road tires they're talking about a 1.8 second 0-60 time with "only" 1600hp? Sounds a bit out there to me.

The Atom V8 is capable of close to 2 seconds flat with 500hp and 550kg curb weight and R888 tires so it's definitely possible on "street" tires when you're around 1kg/hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ethanol posted:

Thanks for the link. I can't say I would ever buy a corvette anyways but I much prefer the new look over the last 20 years of corvette designs. That's pretty crazy that so many people are spotting these unreleased cars, including myself. Is this some kind of marketing campaign now? I guess it's always a marketing campaign.

Last minute testing before release, they just don't camo them now since the car has been unveiled.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

What to me is even more insane is that those cars have the brakes and handling to contain that kind of power. 15 years ago if you had a 750Kw car, it was a straight line bullet with brakes that melted after a few hard stops and evil handling because the chassis couldnt handle the power.

You can take a Venom GT by the looks of it and cut a seriously fast set of flat out laps without killing yourself. It's not chassis compromised. THAT's some goddamn impressive poo poo.

Having a tuner 1000hp Supra isn't anything like having a 1000hp car specifically engineered for having 1000hp.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

You mean when you do a different test cycle than the EPA you get different fuel economy numbers? Good lord Consumer Reports is the worst place for car news.

Consumer reports is terrible for anything car related except finding common issues in cars, like window motors that poo poo out.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 5, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people not really like diesel? I've never really heard of this negative attitude toward diesels but that seems kind of retarded considering diesels are a lot more economic than conventional gas?

My neighbour has a 335d and my roomate didn't believe it was a diesel because it didn't sound like a truck.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The Elise is a weird looking fiberglass kitcar built in a shed from leftover Lucas parts. Where do you even get an Elise? Is there a Lotus dealer near you?

This thing is an actual real car from a major automaker that's going to be sold in Chrysler dealers.

The Elise also sold very well for what it is, they only ended export to the US because the the airbag exemption ended in 2012.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sinestro posted:

If Lamborghini gets a color, it should be green.

If Lamborghini gets a color it should be whatever color guano is.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 991 GT3 Cup keeps the Mezger engine while the base GT3 has a modified DFI engine. That says a lot right there.

It really doesn't say anything besides race teams run the GT3 Cups are already burning a ton of cash. Another few/tens of thousands of dollars for a low production mezger doesn't outweigh the benefit of an engine platform they have over a decade of support for that still is competitive due to horsepower restrictions. You can probably count on your hand how many GT3 owners would actually pay another 20k for the same performance but have their ~~~mezger~~~

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
The advantage of 3D printing car parts is being able to have design targets allowed by construction techniques that are normally difficult, impossible, or extremely costly to produce for a road car. Body panels could be lighter and stronger is they were made with honeycombed metal, but the cost and difficulty vs. extra weight saved isn't worth it. Even if you can print off an ABS door with a honeycomb structure that is only comparable to a stamped steel door, you're most likely going to save money in tooling.

Or in cases like a vehicle frame where you need to jam a bunch of metals together and weld, being able to print off a solid unit would allow you to design in a bunch of reinforcements that normally would be impractical with normal manufacturing techniques.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 6, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Timing chains shouldn't need service anyway, just because they might have had a defective part in there doesn't make it a bad design.

The timing chain is a lifetime item. The plastic timing chain pad tensioners on the heads are wear items. They're also wedged against the firewall and require dropping the engine to get too.

Sometimes those plastic timing chain guard bake themselves enough to get brittle and crack too. The slogan is more like Vorsprung durch hurensohn.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MrChips posted:

I drove a V8 Vantage a number of years ago (it would have been one of the earliest models - i think it was an '08) and while the performance was good (but not great) and the interior was nice, it rattled and squeaked like a ragged out 25-year old Honda Civic (or a five-year old VW :v:). I guess that's part of the *~handbuilt British charm~ of the Aston.

e: You Landie owners would feel just at home then!

A perfect machine made dick underneath the body panel certainly lacks the charm of one scrawled on by Davey from wales.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Blue lighting is probably the worst loving thing ever. It's the perfect example of placing dumb fads over function. This stuff has been studied pretty extensively due to its military applications, so we know blue light causes eye strain and is bad for your night vision. Yet people still do it. I also dislike headlights with too high color temperatures - there's a reason selective yellow is a thing.

Yea but race car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's a concept car, why not put a ridiculous engine in it?

The could have put a ridiculous I5 in it :mad:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

tobu posted:

Oh man, I'm sure glad you pointed these amazing things out to me. Without you to point out that second hand cars are cheaper I wouldn't have known. In fact, I just did the math and I could afford at least 15 decent used cars for the $23k I'd pay for a new fiesta. How could I have ever been so young and stupid!

Yes, 99% of the time buying a used car is the correct option financially. That is unless you are in fact in the market for a new car with plans to keep it indefinitely which is what I currently am looking at. Thanks again for your amazing ability to understand my financial situation based on three sentences and to comment accordingly.

1) Putting yourself into financial debt for a depreciating asset is a bad idea.
2) If you're keeping it forever just buy something used that's like a year old and has already taken the driven off the lot depreciation, then spend the difference on a vacation.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/23/chevy-corvette-z06-spy-shots/

It's interesting that the C7 was just released and Chevy is already testing out the Z06. I figured they would save that for the mid-cycle refresh, considering the rear end-beating the Vette has given the competition already.

They rolled out the c5 and c6 Z06s about a year after the base model was released, a year isn't that much testing time if you're changing a bunch of stuff.

Hog Obituary posted:

I wonder how the carbon tub will age long term. In 50 years are we going to see bunch of early 2000s carbon-tubbed supercars still roaming around since they don't rust?

It ages pretty well, CF doesn't really lose strength unless it's exposed to heat. The biggest issue with useable life is that it develops cracks which eventually shatter when stress is placed on it, however the cracks can be fixed.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 24, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

This is how I feel about it. I understand Toyota/Subura risked A LOT to bring the BRZ/FRS to market. I also feel like they settled on the power level they did because they wanted to benchmark the elephant in the room, the Miata. And that may be one of the only times a Miata is ever compared to an elephant.

You want them to be outright fast cars, which they aren't, they're drivers cars. The entire point of the segment is that you don't need the performance or price associated with having 400hp and pilot sport cups to have a fun to drive car; sliding around at 30mph is just as fun as it is at 60mph and a lot less rear end clenchingly terrifying. Miatas have been following that cheap and fun to drive slow formula for decades and they're loving everywhere for a reason. If the baby Nissan is slower than the 370Z, not significantly cheaper, and boring as poo poo to drive slow to boot it's hosed from the get go.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

They won't die because of crash safety standards. The rest of the car, after just about anyone hopping in it and driving to 8 or 9/10s, would be at your local salvage yard (what's left of it)

Modern TC is completely nutso about how badly you can drive a car and have the computer just hold your hand and sort out everything. I left full TC for an autocross run in a C6 Z06 and just drove like a total shithead to see what it would do. You can be pulling 1+g in a right hander and go WOT mid-corner and before your foot is on the floor the computer has already cut the power and the chassis control is braking inside wheels to deal with you upsetting the car. Then with your foot pinned to the floor, as you unwind the wheel the computer will figure out how much grip the rear has and automatically start feeding in the throttle until the wheel is straight and you're at 100%. Overcook a corner a bit and plowing wide? Chassis control will individually brake wheels to scrub enough speed and rotate the car in the direction it should be going. Turn in too hard and upset the car? Chassis control pats you on the head and says "There there ham hands" as it intrusively does what it needs to to keep the car stable.

Literally the only way you can gently caress up is by trying to brake way too late or going into a corner far far too hot. The bigger problem is when someone turns off all the safety nets and thinks that because they can use the throttle as an on/off switch with TC on then it will be the same with it off, which is why you see people spinning them in a straight line.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

What's your point? The NA/NB/NC Miata could have been given more power without making it handle like a pig.

It's not about handling, it's about driver enjoyment. Miatas are stupidly fun to cane because they're slow. The C6 Z06 handles like a big miata but it's just boring as gently caress to drive on the street anywhere within please don't revoke my license speeds.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Almost certainly not.

Fiat is getting to use the platform however and if the 500 Abarth is anything to go by the Fiat Miata will be the Best Car Ever.

If the Fiat Miata sounds like the 500 Abarth I will buy one in a heartbeat.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Doesn't the Z06 have a dry sump? I'd assume that GM's dry sump solution would be able to solve that.

LS7s have been known to drop valves though. The only motor that doesn't seem to have any real track problems out of the box is the LS9/A, so everyone should buy ZR1s/CTSVs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Isn't the LS7 also pretty close to tapped out? I know it's supposedly inadvisable to use power adders due to the large bore/thin cylinder walls.

They can pick up a good amount of power, cammed/tuned Z06s will put out in the mid 600s and if you go hog wild with intake/headers/heads, 700s.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I can throw my kids in the backseat of the Hellcat, too. You can't do that with a C7.

That's what the hatch is for duh

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I have no idea how long the fluid itself lasts before it breaks down or whatever but in theory they could also be more reliable or at least require less maintenance since they don't have valves and far fewer moving parts.

They still have valving, they operate by altering the viscosity of the fluid to change damping rates.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I can't wait to go to muscle car shows in 30 years and so my children can hear about sennet hunnert horsepower and breaking the tires loose in 6th BACK IN THE DAY

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, the 15% rule never made much since. The drag from a drive train is fixed, regardless of the power the engine makes. If you supercharge a car, the drive train doesn't magically become heavier and take more energy to power.

I'm not sure if it's right but I always assumed it was from frictional losses from gear meshing. An engine making 1000lbft of force is going to be applying 10x more load to the gear faces than an engine with 100lbft. Given that gears are sliding past eachother, you'd also see 10x more force required to slide the gears faces past eachother.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah tech journalism is pretty worthless, it's like a carousel of bullshit "breakthroughs" that are always five years away from changing the world. I'm just glad people stopped fabricating stories about the singularity, that was the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read. I think they've moved on to 3D printers changing everything or warp drives or whatever other fake bullshit gets the most clicks this year.

3D printing isn't really fake bullshit, it's just not the mass production messiah. There was a story, I think about the new Ford GT, about it coming out of nowhere because prototyping the car only took only a few months to a year vs. several years since they could make test parts on site. Then there's Koeniggsegg 3d printing their turbos, and then that 3d printer chef thing.

davebo posted:

I thought Corvette drivers just had the reputation of being super old guys who drive under the speed limit, not douches. I was driving home a few days ago and one pulled up next to mine at a light, same generation, same color/wheels, and I looked over at the guy and gave him a wave. Kindly looking old white guy with a short beard. The whole thing felt like I was looking into an old mirror. Between the two of us I was probably the douche.

I autox a corvette and I've witnessed the corvette culture first hand quite extensively, a gorillas in the mist moment as it were. Corvette owners can be classified into two big groups really, those who race them and those who don't. People who race their corvettes appreciate that it's just a car; it's cheap, it's fast. They're good, but not without their faults. While competitive, they are helpful and very approachable. Then there are the people who don't race their cars.

The image everyone has in their mind for this group is the old man with the mint cherry red C5 convertible. I found them somewhat frequently at autox events, or parked infront of places like starbucks. His wife is blonde and his kids have moved out so he can get back into a "real car" instead of the family minivan he had to have for so many years. It's a weekend car that sits in the garage, the odo doesn't have more than 10k on it and the rattling hasn't started. He doesn't drive it that fast, it's a cruiser, it's a good time car, plus he knows all eyes are on him. But get an open road and he'll open her up a bit and pin you back against the seat. It's a vette, of course he can't open her up anywhere or drive 90 on the highway. The cops are staring at it. It looks fast parked, you know. He may not know everything about cars but he likes cars, and likes talking about them. He'll let you sit in his vette and take you for a ride if you ask. He's a nice guy. Then there are the young vette owners.

The mentality of this group can be summed up by my frequent interaction whenever I park the Z06. A young man will look at the car and the first question about it is "How much pussy do you get with this thing?" Their heart deflates when I inform them, none. 95% of girls don't give a gently caress about corvettes, and the 5% that do think it's a Ferrari. Girls love convertibles. That's why girls are always in the cherry red drop top with the geriatric. But it looks fierce, a black Z06 with black wheels. It's murdered out. It's going to murder any car on the highway. Bro are you looking at my vette? I'll loving kill you and your poo poo stang from a roll. We're on a main street somewhere and you have an fast car it's time to go. I'm holding 2000rpm for the perfect launch for 20 seconds waiting for that green to hit. Dude don't touch my car do you know how much that thing costs? Yea I have linglongs on my 20" hot chrome rims. I'm gonna slow roll by the high school one hand on the top of the wheel so you all see me.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 10, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

88h88 posted:

It was definitely an older model and yeah that's exactly why he caught up. It's funny because the Skyline just feels absurdly quick, the noise when it takes off is just something else but this 'environmentally friendly' electric car just crushed it off the line.

They have a ton of advantages in the low end, mostly that it can instantly modulate torque to any value for a perfect launch while a gas motor has to be kept in the powerband. The electric motor power drops off pretty quickly, a P85D does 11.5@115 in the 1/4 while something like a hellcat does 11.5@125. At the 1/4 the hellcat would be gaining roughly a car length per second.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Im busy at work currently but as someone who has both street driven and raced a 348 and an NSX, HOW DARE YOU STAND AT THE SHRINE OF AYRTON SENNAS LASTING OFFERING TO THE WORLD AND TURN YOUR NOSE. IM COMING FOR YOUR OPINION AND WILL LEAVE NO REMAINS, I WILL BURY IT TO THE AGES. IM TALKING SCORCHED EARTH, MOTHER FUCKER.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
GET YOUR rear end ON THE PYRE TOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Ok I’m not actually gonna roast but here’s the impressions from both cars:

The Ferrari 348 is a special car. In terms of sensation, it is a love letter to driving and feels the best out of any car. The steering is like an angel caressing your fingers, the brakes are perfect feel and weight, the snick snick of the shifter when slotting through gates is a pleasure, the noise the V8 makes is amazing. It’s also special because it is annoying as gently caress and needy. It is a production, and it is a production everytime. It hates the gearbox until it’s warmed up properly. The roof storage is dumb. It handles nicely until 8/9-10ths whereupon it handles like floppy lasagna and you might die. It’s built beautifully under the skin, the skin looks like someone couldn’t wait to go on their lunch break. It’s something you fire up to go out and enjoy the spectacle of driving, but thats it.

The NSX is 99% of what a 348 is for 1% of the dumb bullshit. I was pretty blown away by how close Honda was to essentially making a what is a better Ferrari. It’s a bit more sterile, the steering and brakes are just a smidge less good, but when you’re comparing to literally perfect it’s really just missing magic. Everything else about the car is loving leagues ahead. That gearbox snick snick is unreal. Sure the dials don’t look like a coked out Italian made them but it also has fantastic build quality and an amazing interior even for today. It actually handles, and it handles amazingly well even compared to newer cars. The NSX would stomp the poo poo out of the 348. I would drive an NSX daily no question. And it would appreciate the entire time I did it because they are amazing.

The NSX isn’t a Ferrari though, anyone who can afford a Ferrari can probably afford a Honda Civic to get them where they need to go reliably, while having the Ferrari to scream I haven’t seen a $1 bill in decades. The NSX never got updated and got long in the tooth, barely 3 years in the 355 came out and that is an actual good version of a 348 and considered poo poo compared to a 360. By 1998 every white haired, gas was a nickle car show story weaver had a cherry red c5 vert with three hunbet and fifdty horsepower out the box.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 16, 2019