Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

a primate posted:

The thing I’m cross-shopping is the CX-30 which probably drives substantially better, has moderately more power and a normal 6 speed tranny but less cargo space. At that point, just get a Mazda3 imo.

What wouldn’t be an appliance car? I feel like all CUVs are called appliances but anything with good driving dynamics seems to be another 5-10k

I got a CX-30 last summer, and I like it a lot for what it is. The increased height is good when I drive my folks and grandma around, and it's got a slightly bigger boot than the Mazda 3. I like the clicky wheel and appreciate no touch screens. Lane keep assist and ACC seem okay, but I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with other systems. Lane departure is a tad aggressive, especially during winter. Auto high-beam doesn't cope well with the long twilights in the summer. We don't get the Seltos here, Niro is probably the closest alternative, but I reckon Mazda's interior is nicer.

Downsides are that boot size still isn't exactly stellar, and rear seat passengers don't have a lot of space either. My 1yo niece with a child seat fits just fine, however. If you don't need the ride height, just look into a Mazda 3.

Also just got 4 recall notices from Mazda, but they're all sorted by software updates, so any new car should already have them fixed.

e: Ah you did mention you want some boot space, so Mazda 3 probably isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

a primate posted:

Cars As A Service :nexus:

That's essentially a car subscription service, right? And those seem to be gaining popularity.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

darnon posted:

The have the front wheels off so they're sitting further forwards in the 4.5ft bed and fatbike tires.

Here's the full size. Although good odds it may actually be a render.

Almost certainly a render. Easier to get the cars looking the way you want that way.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

So who even makes a good interior now?

Mazda hsa some piano black too, but otherwise proper physical knobs and buttons, no touchscreen bullshit, and real nice materials.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BloodBag posted:

I have a new CX-30 AWD and it's very nice. The knobs have a nice knurl to them and all the button and switches have the same weighting to them regardless of where it is. The steering rocker switches have the same feeling as the sport rocker switch in the center console. All the buttons have the same length of travel and pressure to depress. The window switches feel the same as the EPB switch. It's very nice black leather with chocolate brown inserts here and there. It's identical inside to a mazda 3 of the same year (2021). Another nice touch is the fonts on all displays are the same. The sizes may differ depending on location, but the font, weight, and kerning are all identical. It's very nice. Even the puck/commander thing is nice, because I'm starting to memorize the click sequences without thinking about it. fuel economy screen is the bottom right button, two twists up, press puck. Even the heads up display is nice and matches everything else. Lots of info up there including follow distance, speed limit, speed, blind spots, and navigation cues. Very well implemented.

I've got a FWD Skyactiv-X (which I guess isn't available in the US) from mid 2020, and after some 30k km, absolutely love mine. The piano black isn't as terrible as I expected, but I'd still prefer something else. I always use Android Auto, so don't really delve into the car's own menus too much. HUD only shows speed and blind spot when AA navigation is on, which seems like a bug. If AA navigation is off, also shows the speed limit.

Small annoyances are that you have to turn the car off before you can open the trunk, which makes dropping people off a bit clunky. Auto hi-beams don't really understand the long twilight hours in the Nordics. Same goes for the main monitor, it turns on dark mode when it's still light out.

After driving old shitboxes most of my life, the Mazda seems almost effortless, and strangely enough I don't find the ACC all that useful. The gas pedal is very light and easy to control. and the ACC still has tad too aggressive braking for my liking.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The Android Auto voice commands work reasonably well for choosing music, so I reckon that's where we're headed.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

First time I saw the Multipla in my rear view mirror it was so ugly I almost crashed.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The highway speed limit here is 130 km/h aka 80 and you can go 150 without getting into too much trouble.

I don't really spend enough time driving on highways to make a difference but if I did, I'd certainly want to be able to go around 3-4 hours at those kinds of speeds . Also consider cold and rain or slush and you really need a ton of paper range.

Even on the Autobahn I prefer around a nice 130km/h most of the time because going faster tends to be hell on fuel economy.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

lovely pic because it started raining right after I got the car. I was at the dealer for almost 4 hours. After they figured out the "is it ours" issue the holdup was a fill in finance guy covering while their normal person was in training. This picture doesn't do the color justice, it's really pretty.

Sweet car, absolutely love mine. Though you should have gone with the red ;)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
On the other hand, the Android Auto voice commands seem to work pretty well when you want to change the song. And only for that. Assuming the song title is in the same language as your phone. And that there aren't other songs with the exact same title. Or different versions.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
At least it's not a stupid "coupe SUV".

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Saw the van parked nearby. Can't say I love every design but at least they're trying something interesting and distinctive

The Staria looks great in person. If it's not white.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 20, 2023

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
New Renault Twingo is electric and supposedly under 20 000 €.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M00seiYhiGg

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Window blinds.

Window bilnds.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

I also wonder how much traffic could be alleviated if cars in general were smaller. There are a lot of cars on the road, but if each one took up less space, maybe it would be better. Better visibility would make it easier to have smaller gaps between vehicles as well.

Bigger, heavier cars are worse for traffic and roads in pretty much every way.

e: Let's say you have bigger cars, which means that fewer cars can pass while the light is green, meaning you just have to wait longer to get through an intersection.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BuckyDoneGun posted:

"Modern cars are too complex, too many screens. Give me a base model!" is a common refrain.

Not quite a new car, been around for a few years, Daihatsu got you, in developing markets, with a base model Ayla.

In Europe you can get a Dacia.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Dacia isn't the barebone brand as it used to be, only the spring has an interior made from trash cans and low end tech, sandero costs pretty much as the equivalent clio.

drat Dacia, that was your major selling point.

Here in the Nordic frozen wastelands the Clio is about 3000€ more than the basic Sandero, but I'll admit that our prices are all kinds of hosed up.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
My new (to me) car is a minivan and it has even more room than a wagon. :clint:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I do think everyone should be driving Kei cars but I doubt you could sell a mainstream car much smaller than that. A class smaller is what, an Up!?

Toyota Yaris is in the same class as the Fabia but about 200mm shorter, while the Up, Citigo, Aygo etc. are around 3600-3700mm. I still see lot of Yarises around. The truly tiny cars in Germany seem to be mostly Smarts.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s more that Honda isn’t very prominent or visible here (I’m in Switzerland). Besides the Fit/Fit Cross thing, I only see one or two e’s around. I think they just don’t have much of a presence in either the market or people’s minds, and when you’re selling Just A Car, even a nice one, that’s not going to be enough to get people to put in the effort to seek Honda, specifically, out.

I remember seeing/hearing a ton of Honda CR-V commercials around, uhhhh, 10-15 years ago in Finland, but they seem to be all gone now.

Still see plenty old'ish Civics on the road, though.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ioniq
Lyriq
Evoque
Qashqai

Kamiq
Karoq
Kodiaq

Enyaq

:colbert:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

The Mazda6 Is Back as a Rear-Wheel-Drive Electric Sedan

Chinese market only, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Responding to the absolutely massive global demand, you can now get the Audi A3 as a crossover.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-a3-allstreet-15902

:toot: