Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Idran posted:

I'm not really understanding what's going on in that set of posts. What exactly is it that they're saying rules-wise? That in flurry of blows each fist/weapon is used at least once? Or are they saying that each fist/weapon is used evenly? I'm not really good at heavy rules stuff, what makes that a significant nerf? I can see why it hurts DR penetration or weakness exploitation or whatnot, but how does that make any archetypes unusable?

(I'm not saying it doesn't, I just honestly don't really follow what's going on there.)

There are monks archetypes (Zen Archer, for example), that use a single weapon to flurry. Under this new "flurry is TWF" logic you would need to use two bows somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm contemplating dusting off my 3.5 books and doing the Pathfinder thing, but the Monk situation above has me worried that a lot of stupid rules poo poo is going to sneak in if I go this route. Is there a best way to avoid that?

Just play 3.5 instead. Use class tiers and you can avoid most of the rules problems and all the terribly balanced stuff that is all that Pathfinder brings to the table.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

grah posted:

I think this is just a bit unfair. Paizo failed to address many of the core issues that 3.5 had but there are some areas with a great deal of improvement. A huge number of save or die and save or suck spells have been powered down or removed outright. Paladins and Barbarians have emerged as drat good martial classes, if not quite on par with a well made Wizard. Druids, wildshape, and transmutation in general have been greatly simplified and brought down to earth.

Pathfinder has plenty of problems, but saying it brought nothing but more problems to the table is sort of over the top.

The summoner. The gunslinger. The constant war on monks trying to have good things. Prone Shooter. Death or Glory. The fact that is is incredibly clear Paizo has no idea how to balance things is a major problem.

Now, 3.5 also has major balance problems. However, these are well known by now, and are capable with being dealt with. Pathfinder has a constant stream of terribly balanced poo poo coming out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

QuantaStarFire posted:

What I'd like to know is if there's some sort of spergy primer that details everything that's broken with 3.5/Pathfinder that I could use to craft house rules to solve them since I'm not really well-versed in the game's nuances.

Or maybe I should just stick with D&D 4th since it's braindead simple by comparison. :v:

If you aren't already knowledgeable about 3.5/Pathfinder, don't bother learning them. There are far less broken games that you can use instead (4E, FATE, WFRP3, etc)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

MadScientistWorking posted:

In Pathfinder yes all full casters are high tier but in 3.5E full casters ran the spectrum of the best class to being the worst class in the entire game.

Name a bad full caster (note: truenamer is not a full caster)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

MadScientistWorking posted:

The Truenamer wasn't a full caster class?

The truenamer is as much a full caster as a warblade is (i.e., not at all).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Idran posted:

I think you're very slightly off on that for both of those. The four corners of both squares there for each are 15' away, not 10', since diagonals go 1-2. So it should be this without a horse:

pre:
.ooo.
o...o
o.x.o
o...o
.ooo.
And this with a horse:

pre:
.oooo.
o....o
o.xx.o
o.xx.o
o....o
.oooo.

Nope, that's not how reach works. See here. You're effectively a large (long) creature, you get the square template.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
A 6th level paladin probably has a +4 strength bonus and a +1 weapon. He's probably got maybe 12 Dex at the most, more probably 10 since paladins are MAD as hell. Thus his attack bonus drops 5 points if he's got a normal bow, and his damage goes from 2d6+7 to 1d8 damage. This, of course, assume he is firing at an enemy all by themselves. If there's an ally nearby, say hello to another -4 penalty for firing into melee! On the other hand, let's say our Paladin friend does the supposed "smart" thing and picks up a +1 Composite (+4) Bow. Do you know how much that poo poo costs! That's 2800 gp, aka 1/5 of his expected gold for that level, to gain the "useful" ability to make attacks at -8 or -9 to hit and half his normal damage.

Edit: He'd be better off buying a couple Feather Token, Whips or a Necklace of Fireballs or something than a bow for the times he actually needs to do stuff at range.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 20, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

veekie posted:

I'm thinking with the Divine Bond, you could save money on the most expensive part of the weapon, masterworking + enchantment. Just buy a composite bow +4 and attack with Dex + Cha + BAB, for Level damage.

Why in hell would you waste your 1/day Divine Bond on a bow you aren't even any good with? Similarly with smite: you only get two uses per day at 6th, so why would you waste them on your crappy arrow shots that aren't likely hit even with the bonus?

Slashrat posted:

It may not be super impressive amounts of damage, but it's a lot better than twiddling your thumbs when the enemy is unreachable for melee attacks. There are classes that struggle to do that much damage in their primary combat style, even.
If you're a character who relies on weapons you can't do more than 1d8 damage a hit at 6th level you should kill your character off and make something that isn't totally incompetent. Seriously, name one goddamn class that's doing 1d8 damage (at -8 to hit) in their primary combat style at 6th level.

Anyway, that's what buying a Quall's Feather Token Whip or Necklace of Fireballs or even just some thrown splash-style items like alchemist's fire flasks or tanglefoot bags. A ranged touch attack is way better than a regular ranged attack.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 20, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Also, pure casters kinda suck at melee touch attacks in the first place, given that they still depend on BAB+Strength to hit.

They don't suck at them. Touch AC never really improves for monsters - big monsters are almost always going to have sub-10 touch AC, and humanoid enemies aren't going to get higher than 12 or so unless they're rogue types.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

obeyasia posted:

Im brand new to Pathfinder. I plan on playing a Human Monk. Its my understanding its one of those classes that sucks a lot up front, but gets super good later on. Is that right? That's pretty much my M.O. for any game where development is an option.

Monk is one of those classes that suck up front, but in exchange later on they also suck.

Edit: They also suck in the middle.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
10 minutes/level is enough to clear (at least most of) a dungeon once you get past low levels.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ProfessorCirno posted:

Just a heads up: be weary of making Pistoleros, or any other gun-using character.

While they aren't currently being nerfed, there's been some advice added to the FAQ that they should be nerfed, and SKR has personally stated that they are too powerful.

No. Really.

SKR is the dumbest game designer.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 6, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Well of course, Monks aren't allowed to have nice things.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Commissar Kip posted:

My DM might have done something stupid and allowed me to get the leadership feat at level 7 and I plan to abuse the hell out if it. I'm running a 5 Fighter / 2 Low Templar who wants to form his own mercenary company (like the Black Band Landsknechts).

I'm at 13 leadership score so I'm getting a level 5 cohort plus one level 2 and 10 level 1 followers. The cohort I'd like to make a bard (due to bardic performance) but I am at a loss as to what to ask for. 10 level 1 fighters would be a terrible idea, but due to the Low Templars "if my dudes die I don't lose leadership points" I could start my own little level 10 man level 1 fighter mob. But let's NOT do that. What should I get that's both useful and hilarious? Someone already suggested 10 gnome lawyers.

10 level one sorcerers, all knowing magic missile. Enjoy your sniping team.

Edit: Give half of them Ventriloquism and the other half Silent Image, and make sure they all have ghost sound. Congrats, now you have a special effects squad/movie-making team.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 17, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
For god's sake don't inflict Pathfinder on a 5 year old.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sunder is also just a dumb maneuver in general. If you use it against an NPC, you just destroyed loot you could have retrieved after the fight, so now you're set back thousands of gold. If an NPC uses it against you, you lose your magic item and even if you win the fight you're now set back thousands of gold. It's not even that great for either side when it comes to actually winning the combat; using it just ensures that post-combat the PC's end up poor.

Speaking of archetypes, I was just looking over Maneuver Master's Flurry of Maneuvers and it seems oddly worse than the regular Flurry of Blows. You still use your 3/4 BAB for your regular iterative attacks, your bonus maneuvers get full BAB but suffer enormous penalties (-12 if you want to get all three extra maneuvers!), and if you want to make a maneuver in place of one of your regular iterative attacks, you suffer both the 3/4 BAB and the huge maneuver penalty.

Am I reading this wrong or did they go out of their way to make this aggressively lovely?

Welcome to Pathfinder monks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
There's also Fate Freeport, which does a pretty good job of imitating D&D while still being a good Fate game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Hey I heard somewhere it was 3+ charisma modifier.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Add an extra mook to each fight to compensate if you really think it's a problem. Eventually it will die since it doesn't scale. Let the players have their fun.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
When the big one dies the players learn it was pregnant, now they have to raise fist-sized tick babies.

Edit: What I am saying is Game of Thrones this poo poo, the tick is their sigil, they are meant to have those ticks!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Almostpanda posted:

I have two questions;
firstly, what's the general consensus on the wounds and vigor system, I'm not that familiar with it myself and a friend of mine is starting a game using a houseruled version of it.
and second, what about the armor as damage reduction rules?
houserules are: strenuous actions cost vigor points, if no vigor points are left, they cost wounds. and damage prevented by the damage reduction is done to the armor itself.
I don't know much about either of these alternate rules, any helpful tips would be appreciated, TIA.

Those rules mean: suck it, noncasters.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Wound and Vigor points aren't bad (though having to spend vigor to do cool stuff is dumb as gently caress), but armor as damage reduction is really loving dumb. It fucks over TWF even more than normal, and the DR is basically worthless at anything above level 6 or so for even the heaviest armors. I mean, think about power attack in this system. Your armor bonus converts straight over to DR, but Power attack gives a much better attack bonus to damage ratio.

Piell fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 24, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Eox posted:

Man, between this and his recent blog post about martial characters I'm starting to feel bad for the guy.

You should never feel sorry for SKR he is dumb as gently caress.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Don't use a crossbow they suck.

Edit: They don't just suck they are designed and intended to be lovely

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, if they refuse to follow your railroad then run them the gently caress over! Show them who's the real boss in this game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Zurai posted:

The Core Rulebook is my proof. They nerfed very nearly every problematic magical effect from the 3.5 PHB and buffed every non-caster class significantly. They did also give some small buffs to the casters as well but nothing to compare to the non-casters and nothing that compensated for overall spell power nerfs.

Counterpoint: Monks

Also SKR is a drooling moron who once claimed that Toughness is a better feat than Natural Spell. He doesn't know poo poo from balance

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The Pathfinder MMO is a real thing, but it is almost certainly going to be a completely lovely MMO filled with nothing (because SANDBOX) and trolling (because SANDBOX). Also the Pathfinder MMO devs have more than once promised to prevent goons from playing it.

Edit: Ryan Dancey is also the guy responsible for the $70 EVE monocle. For the Pathfinder MMO, you can buy a tent for $50 or a small shack for $200!.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 23, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

He would be right since activating a scroll or a magic item like a wand is always at least a standard action.

Yeah, this is one of the things that 3.5 changed later along the line that Pathfinder didn't bother bringing over when they filed the numbers off the SRD.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

MadDogMike posted:

Seen a bunch of "Strike twice as one action" type abilities with rangers and fighters and such, am I right in understanding with the exception I *think* of Power Attack it's two attack rolls and the second one has the next lowest multi-attack penalty on it? i.e. If I was swinging a pair of scimitars around as an unoriginal ranger idea and used Twin Takedown I'd roll an unmodified attack and one at -3 with Flurry, right? Also, do the individual strikes each count as separate attacks for triggering effects on strikes hitting (like the bear animal companion support ability or rolling two 20s with a pair of Vorpal weapons gets you the +1d8 damage/head chop save twice), or since it's a single action do things like that only proc once?

MAP penalty on multiple attacks depends on the ability - Twin takedown does indeed have the normal MAP penalty, but the fighters Double Slice doesn't apply the penalty to the second attack. Double slice also says "If both attacks hit, combine their damage, and then add any other applicable effects from both weapons.", so I'd say those effects would trigger twice. Twin Takedown lacks that wording, but I'm not sure if that's just poor editing or if it's not intended to have it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

clusterfuck posted:

Wondering if I'm misunderstanding the rules or if there's a bug with the Pathbuilder app (android).

I'm building a Bard with Wizard archetype. By level 12 I have Wizard Dedication and Basic Spellcasting. When I pick up Expert Spellcasting at level 12 I find on the Pathbuilder app I've lost the level 1-3 spells I gained from Basic Spellcasting and they are replaced by the Expert Spells of level 4-6. The archetype spellcasting rules don't say anything about losing Basic spells to gain Expert spells. I think I should have 6 spells.

I'm guessing this is a bug in the Pathbuilder app but am I missing something in the rules here?

Yep, that's a bug

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Toshimo posted:

To be fair, I have zero issue with paying a DM for their services if that means they are going to be prompt, reliable, fair, prepared, and knowledgeable.

You're going to get maybe 2 or 3 of those by joining a rando roll20 pay game

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are there general rules for summoning monsters in 2e somewhere? All the spells just point to Summon Animal which seems unusually brief. Elsewhere there is the ‘minion’ tag for familiars etc, but that isn’t mentioned in relation to summoned stuff. The internet seems to say ‘summons get you 2 actions for 1 action’ but where does it say a summoned creature only gets 2 actions? Do summons act on your initiative? Does it take an action (beyond sustaining the spell) to command the summon? If it doesn’t take an action to command them, do they get to act the turn you cast the spell? Where, if anywhere, is all this set out?

Loving 2e more the more I play it. The Core Rulebook isn’t the best organized thing, but the glossary is super helpful and clear, and AoN works very well.

You're looking for the Summoned trait (page 637 of the core book)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The Gate posted:

Worth noting that Demoralize and Feint are actions that can happen in combat and are not Attack actions. Makes them very useful third actions for characters that don't need to move, or can't set up a flank for flat-footed for some reason.

Also Shove/Grapple/Trip if you have the Assurance feat, if you're keeping up on skill increases there's a decent amount of enemies you can autohit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Gharbad the Weak posted:

How's the class balance going with this game? I actually heard a while back that spellcasting seemed underpowered, which I'm side-glancing, but overall, is magic still king? Or can you actually be a fighter?

For pure killing things, a fighter is the best by far. A lot of spells (including some of the best control spells), have been nerfed greatly.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Omnicrom posted:

That has a lot to do with having two degrees of both success and failure, right?

A lot of the "this enemy is out of the fight" effects have been shifted to require a critical failure on their save, rather than a normal one. To somewhat make up for it, a lot of spells now do a little bit even on a success. You're more likely to have something happen overall, but the major effects are much rarer. Take In 1st edition Pathfinder, a failed save meant the enemy lost it's turn (and then could attempt a second save). In, Pathfinder 2E, they only lose a turn if they critically fail the save. If they fail it normally, they lose one action. On a success, however, they lose the ability to take reactions, which isn't much but can be something at least.

It might be a little too far, however, in that the two spellcasters in my group feel relatively worthless (at least at low levels).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Blockhouse posted:

A thing to keep in mind that the whole "ten over the DC/AC is a crit" rule makes crits decently more common than they were normally

I kept forgetting it in our Age of Ashes game and of course the session I do remember our Fighter starts critting every other roll

Yes, it's very nice. My 2nd level fighter had three crits in the last session that each did damage in the 40s (hooray for picks).

NachtSieger posted:

Also do fighters and the like have declarative abilities to actually use in the same vein of spells?

Yes, it's all tied up into their feats (which a lot of class stuff has become part of.) Stuff like Intimidating Strike,Brutish Shove, or Felling Strike give you more options than just pure damage. That said, fighters are by far the best damage dealers in the game, due to having +2 to hit over anyone else. (Which also translates to +2 critical range). Other classes have their own feats that means you can do things other than just basic attack over and over.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Hidden doors are a bad garbage idea that does little more than slow a game down and should be removed almost entirely (as should almost every roll where failure means nothing happens).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I just finished Hellknight Hill as a player, and gotten very slightly into the next part.
Assuming Guardian's Way is the fight with the archers on towers, that was loving garbage and unfun. Doesn't help that the party is slow and melee focused (dwarf fighter, dwarf monk, dwarf warpriest, wizard) so we had to spend multiple turns just getting to the enemies. My fighter got knocked out twice and the wizard once.

Only other fight that gave us major trouble was the barghest, who hits like a loving truck, and since its several levels higher than the party it's basically guaranteed to hit and be difficult to hit in return.

Figuring out the keep upgrade system is a mess and a half and should have been streamlined a lot more than it was. It took us like an hour of gametime to figure out build costs and timing to get started while we head out of town. Despite having a couple people with expert crafting we pretty much decided it wasn't at all worth it to stick around and roll for it rather than just pay the relatively cheap price for a supervisor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Froghammer posted:

Yeah, no, this is all a huge red flag. At the very least, the kind of threats a level 13 party face can easily one-shot a level 7 PC.

Unless you're friends with and trust all of these people in real life, you're probably better off finding something better to do.

If you are friends with and trust all of these people in real life, you should still quit the game before the bullshit causes issues.