Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

So I don't want to meme or start an edition war or something but if Pathfinder was "3.75" would Pathfinder 2E be like "3.99" or is the versioning system anachronistic at this point and PF represents a Non-5E/Non-OSR approach to D&D all its own or what?

Pathfinder 2e is more of a 4.5E, hilariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zarick posted:

I like PF2e but I definitely wouldn't describe it as 4.5e. There are definitely some things that do imitate 4e, like the keywords.

But one of the most important things in 4e they definitely do not do, which is parity of options between classes, particularly spellcasters/martials.

I haven't had the chance to play it at a high level yet, but from what I hear, they're pretty balanced for the most part. All the classes don't develop along the exact same structure like pre-Essentials 4e, but to me having variety in that is a plus.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What book are these in?

The new Mwangi Expanse book, I imagine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A magic school like no other! The oldest and most prestigious magic academy in the world is the Magaambya, an ancient institution founded by the greatest wizard the world has ever known. This wizard vanished long ago, but his sinister enemies plot against his school and those who attend it. Over their long academic career, the heroes rise from humble students to become teachers, and they ultimately hold the fate of the Magaambya magic academy in their hands. Graduates of the Magaambya are among the greatest wardens of the world, but if the heroes can't marshal the strength of thousands who have come before them, the venerable Magaambya might fall!

Kindled Magic (1 of 6): School's in session! The newest students at the venerable Magaambya school of magic must begin their academic careers with tests of their skill and resourcefulness. The heroes can learn much from their teachers and fellow students, but must beware of mysterious secrets and sinister plots. The rigors facing any Magaambya students are steep, but the heroes must also contend with strange infestations and supernatural intruders in the school's ancient halls. Education is far from easy at the oldest and most prestigious magic academy in the world!

Spoken on the Song Wind (2 of 6): Trouble in the Academy! The heroes have proven themselves to be worthy additions to Magaambya school of magic, but they are still students. Trusted to handle important school business in the surrounding city of Nantambu, the Song-Wind City, the heroes confront a vengeful alchemist, stealthy infiltrators, and other dangers. A mysterious artifact housed within the Magaambya might be the source of the school's recent troubles, but can the students discover its secrets, protect their fellow students, and still graduate?

Hurricane's Howl (3 of 6): The Students Become the Masters! Lore-speakers are the teachers of the Magaambya school of magic, and the heroes have graduated and joined their ranks. Sent with their students to the edge of the Mwangi Expanse, these new teachers must unearth ancient ruins while keeping themselves and their students out of danger. When a student vanishes, the heroes uncover a nefarious plot to subjugate the rain-lashed Sodden Lands. They must liberate a town, stop an evil cult, and show their students how heroes stand as wardens of the world.

Secrets of the Temple-City (4 of 6): From the Necropolis to the Lost City! As trusted teachers at the Magaambya school of magic, the heroes are sent on a delicate diplomatic mission to a city ruled by an evil mummy-god. During these negotiations, the heroes unearth the location of a wondrous hidden village that needs the Magaambya's knowledge and protection. But the mummy-god's military is on the march. If the heroes can't thwart the army, it will plunder the village's treasures and unleash an ancient evil contained since the world was covered in darkness!

Doorway to the Red Star (5 of 6): The trail of a long-vanished ally leads to the other side of a magical portal called the Doorway to the Red Star. The heroes must earn the trust of the portal's guardians then travel through it—to another planet of red sands and high adventure! Working to gain allies among scholarly brain-people and shifty ratfolk, the heroes must infiltrate a massive airship and fight to free their ally from an insidious trap on an alien world!

Shadows of the Ancients (6 of 6): Save the Magaambya! The heroes return to the Magaambya magic academy to find the villain they'd vanquished on a distant planet had set another scheme in motion long ago. Students and teachers have been twisted by evil magic, and the heroes must engage in legendary tests to gain the means to free them. While a monstrous foe thrashes through the Magaambya, it's up to the heroes to save the school from utter destruction!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Chaotic Evil option - run Runelords for them again, but in Savage Worlds.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Let’s also not ignore that this isn’t just hogwarts, it’s Hogwarts, Africa.

Jury is out on whether they manage to pull off that second part, but I guess things look promising?

Their setting book for that region is already out and by all accounts it's pretty good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Would people be up for a goon game of Strength of Thousands on Roll20 or something? I'd prefer to play, but if no-one else wanted to, I'd be willing to GM. (With the proviso that I've never GM'd Pathfinder before.)

Time won't work out for me, but sounds fun!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://pathbuilder2e.com/ has some paid features but you should be able to do almost everything there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I can't even find the option to pay for it. Is that exclusive to the Android version?

In the web option you click the Menu button in the top left, then select Login and Upgrade App. I believe it's the same or similar in the Android version.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Adam Daigle, Director of Game Development at Paizo, suffered a seizure far from home and is now facing a lot of out-of-pocket medical debt. You can contribute to his relief gofundme here.

USA is pretty hosed up, yo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok not sure what I've done, I get real confused with all the traits and ancestries and whatever else:

Anything here just total trash?

https://rpgbot.net/p2/characters/classes/swashbuckler/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The character sheet is pretty neat and I literally need nothing else (there's Nethys and my own books for that), so I don't.. really... get this at all?

Foundry has a module with a full 5e.tools style database of all items, abilities, monsters that there are on Nethys, etc so you don't need to fill all of them out by hand.

I rather enjoy not having to fill out multiple monster sheets per session.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
owlbear rodeo or gtfo, nabs

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read that thread. I bet the bosses are pretty lovely, because they usually are, but I must confess that part where the thread tries really hard to make that one dork who likes Victorian esoterica look like he's a white supremacist, especially if you read his response, has made me think that maybe that particular person's claims should be taken with a grain or two of salt.

I hope the people who got fired find justice.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

Is the clout chaser the 1/850 lady on Twitter or something

If those tweets actually exist, they gotta be talking about Jessica Price, yes.

No one else has specifically called her out yet, but there are some very oblique statements from other employees that are implying that a) they certainly have issues with the bosses b) they kinda think Jessica is full of poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

Gist if anyone wants to import it (it should only reference pf2e system stuff so should be directly pasteable): https://gist.github.com/schmidka/18ea2e28890856b5c3ed323c9f734fdb

You do this how exactly?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The RPGbot guide will have some build advice. Search for 'grapple'.

https://rpgbot.net/p2/characters/classes/barbarian/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ironically, all the earlier PR brouhaha ended up as a positive influence, I guess. I imagine they went "ugh, fine, hope this will shut you up".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What do you guys think of offering Free Archetype OR Ancestry Paragon? They both seem like "hey, you get some free feats!" in roughly same amounts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I think if interchangeable it seems pretty cool. Forcing players to pick one or the other path from the outset might feel bad for the people that pick ancestry. Some players plan well ahead but even doing that sometimes you make changes and ancestry has a lot less things to play around with overall then the world of free archetypes.

I am pretty open to players rebuilding their characters (or even retiring them and introducing something completely different) if they're tired of their current character or their build.

I am considering this for a short game of Malevolence, so they'd start at Level 3 and go to maybe 5?

I haven't researched every single Archetype and all the Ancestry feats and I suspect Archetypes might be straight up stronger but hey, I am giving them a choice and either option is already on top of how powerful the game math supposes them to be.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1336

When creating an ancestry paragon character, instead of starting with one ancestry feat and gaining another at 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th levels, the character starts with two ancestry feats and gains another at every odd level thereafter (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and so on) for a total of 11 ancestry feats.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Golux posted:

The strength of thousands players guide explicitly recommends free archetype for a spellcasting class, I believe, to allow for party balance and not just full parties of wizards and druids.

Yeah, but the Free Archetype can only be wizard or druid. And Fried Watermelon, I think, allowed them to be, like, part-time Maguses and poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

How about another build question:

How would you build a Final Fantasy style Dark Knight? So greatsword, and magic abilities that involve lifestealing and harming themselves to power up their attacks? They're usually portrayed in heavy looking armor but their defense is actually lower than you'd think.

Season 2 of Critical Role had a player kill themselves playing a class like that, heh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just leveled them up after they cleared the first level of the dungeon.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 29, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Literally everyone is singing the praise of foundry vtt. How is it compared to roll20?

It depends on the system. For PF2 it's definitely the superior VTT.

The software itself is pretty good and all the modules are nice, but the actual selling feature is this - there is a team of volunteers that took the effort to implement every single monster, feat, spell and item in the free SRD (so all of them) into a single database. The Roll20 equivalent of this costs money and only has a fraction of the Foundry content, because Paizo more or less abandoned Roll20.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And probably ~$5 to rent a server. But you're probably paying that to Roll20 if you GM, anyway.

And every major book (core, bestiary, etc) costs $50 on Roll20.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 29, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can host it yourself, sure. It's more of a "your players might want to be able to log on and fiddle with their characters when you're not there" thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

zachol posted:

Could've sworn there was already a heritage for medium kobolds or something, now I'm baffled. I'm sure I've read something like that but it must have been in some random Eberron book or whatever.

swolebold

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Have they had discounts on the Foundry modules? Sixty bucks is a bit too rich for my blood.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It seems to be one of the more popular games in the paid GM circles.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Hey goons, I'm getting into my first PF2E game next week, a Blood Lords campaign in which I'm playing a skeleton sorcerer (undead bloodline, of course). Any advice for a new player to the system, whether for that build or just un general? I'm not too concerned with charop, but I also (obviously) want to have a good time.

There are build guides for every class. Here is a list of some of them:

http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2019/09/pathfinder-2nd-edition-guide-to-guides.html

You don't necessarily need to only pick the Best Color options when making your PC, but at the very least the guides will help you avoid any traps that you need system experience to spot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Ooh, this is super useful, thanks.

Also, yeah, plan your character out in Pathbuilder:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another guide to potentially include:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/raouq8/tarondors_guide_to_pathfinder_adventure_paths/

Hopefully it'll be updated with the newer Paths sometime..