Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Enfys posted:

How do you read while washing dishes?

saucily, and damply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

Physical books, always. I've tried Kindle and it's, well, okay, but I read enough stuff on screens as it is.

(Also, I live in an area with three excellent used bookstores nearby, so I almost never buy books new anyway.)

That's part of it for me, I don't have great used/indie bookstores around here, it's pretty much all B&N and a couple of Half Price Books, which occasionally have a gem or two, but are mostly random remaindered crap nobody actually wants.

I've heard tell there's a really good indie crime/mystery bookstore in my area but I've never hunted it down. I do most of my reading on a Kindle, but get 95% of my ebooks through a few library Overdrive accounts.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could we consider a Ligotti thread separate from the horror thread?

I wouldn't be opposed to a separate one, but I'm not sure we really need one, the horror thread is hardly that busy and I think most of the people who follow it aren't bothered by any kind of deep-dive discussion into ligotti. That said, making threads is cheap, if you do make one be sure to link it in the horror thread.

anilEhilated posted:

There's also a cosmic horror thread but the threads are more or less interchangeable and He is everywhere.

Yeah that thread is pretty much dead, I've debated closing it every couple of months, but every time I do, someone happens to post in it. I figured there's no harm in keeping it open in any case.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay fair, carry on. I suppose I should read some of his work someday so I can join in the fanclub

If it helps, his prose is great, and while he's grim as hell his stories are often surprisingly funny, too. The one I'm reading now is basically some weirdo babbling at length about alchemy to a prostitute, and includes a scene where he has to awkwardly play dumb about being in the red light district while talking to a cop.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I take it back, I'm 100% on board for a separate ligotti thread, but only if avs is the only one allowed to post in it, and is in fact required to post in it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hereby petitioning HA to change this thread's subtitle to "Catch the reading bug!"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I read We Have Always Lived In The Castle recently and absolutely loved it.

My favorite movies are all psychological thrillers. I realize that's a book genre, but but when I have read books called that it has always been really infantile.

I guess I would like a 'mystery', in only the vaguest terms.

If you haven't read Du Maurier's Rebecca go do that immediately

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I used to log the books I've read on Goodreads but honestly I think their Reading Challenge thing hurt my reading. I'm just way too prone to wanting to make a number like that go up, which meant I used to read faster than was really useful, and finishing bad/boring books on principle. Nowadays I keep track of the books I've read, and occasionally jot down a thought or two about them, but I get too hyperfocused on the number of books I've read in a year or handful of months or whatever if I'm not careful.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of history books, what are some books that would be recommended if I wanted to just generally improve my knowledge of history, assuming most of what I know is based on vague recollections of poorly taught high school history classes? I'd be happy with books on specific subjects, I'm just looking for what would be the "everybody should read this/know these things" kind of history books.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Evans Third Reich trilogy If you want to really know what nazism was, how it took over the entire German society and did everything it did. Adam Tooze’s The Wages of Destruction to learn how the Nazi economy was not even close to the usual myths of Hitler giving jobs to everyone and putting a car in every garage etc.

Eric Hobsbawm’s Ages tetralogy to cover the 1798-1990 era that gave us the modern world. Both Evans and Hobsbawm are also very good writers, so reading them is a joy.

The Best and the Brightest to understand why America bungled Vietnam, A Bright Shining Lie to understand how they did it.

The Great War for Civilization: the Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk for all your middle eastern needs.

These are some of my all time favorites. Let us know if you want something more specific based on period or area.

These are great, thank you! I don't have any particular goal with this, my thought was to start with books that are generally recommended as just good reads, and kind of follow where that leads me as I inevitably encounter something that makes me think "oh hey I'd like to know more about that too"

I think the only specific subjects I would like to hit at some point are:

-General US history (though I have Howard Zinn's A People's History of the US which seems to be generally recommended)
-The Roman empire
-Japanese history (especially around the Sengoku era)
-Chinese history, though I know nothing at all about it so I don't have a specific era in mind
-General European history (kind of anything, but in particular the exploration age, the Napoleonic era, French Revolution era though not exclusively French history, and whatever you'd call Shakespeare's era up until the French Revolution)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I honestly might like Gatsby now, I'm down for reading about a bunch of people in the 1920s struggling with life... but boy o boy high school me did not appreciate it at all. :negative:

if anything it's more about a bunch of people in the 1920s very much not struggling with life but convincing themselves they are

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

tuyop posted:

I stumbled across a website that takes public domain ebooks from project Gutenberg and other places and gives them proper chapter markers and corrects any OCR problems and stuff like that.

I also bought Dracula on kindle because it was a dollar. The kindle version loving sucks! No chapters, all sorts of formatting problems, big gaps and stuff. Just trash. So I thought I could just grab Dracula from that website but I can’t remember it now. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about?

Sounds like Standard Ebooks, and yeah they have Dracula.
https://standardebooks.org/ebooks?query=Dracula&sort=newest&view=grid&per-page=12

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Next time you do a google search, try turning your monitor on

this is literally the only time I've actually laughed at that joke, goddamn

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

escape artist posted:

Since it's spooky month, I am thinking about delving into some William Hope Hodgson. I've heard that he's got some decent, how do I call it, nautical horror? Goons like books about ships... I have thalassophobia.

With all that in mind, what's a good starting point?

edit:

I teed you up for that one didn't I?

vvv :lol: vvv

I haven't read it personally but the nautical Hodgson book is The Boats of the "Glen Carrig". House on the Borderland is good too, if mostly just weird and vibe-y. Haven't read Night Land personally, I tried a couple of times but found it really hard to get into (sort of intentionally on Hodgson's part iirc).

If you want sort-of-classic nautical "horror", The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket is good if you haven't read it. There's also a couple of novellas/novelettes in the collection The Weird that fit the bill but I'll have to pull up the ToC to remind myself what the heck they're called.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I read BotNS last year/earlier this year and once I sort of accepted that some of it wasn't going to make complete sense and just let the vibes wash over me, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Then I saw a (maybe) spoiler about an aspect I definitely did not get at all on a first read because someone had to just blab it out in a twitter reply for some reason. It didn't make sense to me when I read it but I suspect it'll be hard to not think about it when I re-read BotNS, which I was planning to do sometime soon.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Following up on this - I've never seen my wife as stressed out with a book as she was toward the end of Jade War. She spent the last two hours of the audiobook in a state of immense tension and anxiety and then, after finishing, was exhausted for the rest of the day. She is generally not too reactive to books and films, but this one got to her. Good times.

It's genuinely really good, and the third book manages to pay off the whole series in a way I was pretty impressed with, there's a lot going on and a lot of interwoven storylines in those books so it was cool to see it stick the landing in a pretty satisfying way

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

My wife is currently working through Jade Legacy - the third book in the Green Bone Saga, and I've never seen her so stressed out about a book before. So that's fun.

Oh I'm excited for her. It ends so well IMO. I just read the trilogy last year and even hearing about her experience reading it makes me want to re-read

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Amazon should have a dedicated button that sends the Culture series to everyone in your contacts

Amazon should actually have all of the Culture series available as ebooks in the first place, dammit

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I think they do, but some of them are UK-only for unknown reasons.

Yeah, Excession and Inversions aren't available in the US for some reason, which is bizarre since they're technically in the middle of the series. State of the Art too, if you count that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I mostly don't mark up my books, even ones that are more technical or that I know I'll go back to, since I developed the habit in college of making all my notes in a notebook since our school bookstore gave you more money back if there was little to no highlighting/notes in the book when you inevitably sold it back at the end of the one class you'd ever need it for.

I mostly never ended up with books that had interesting/funny notations, I had a couple with genuinely useful highlights (it was clear one of them came from someone who took the exact same class and knew how to highlight intelligently so basically all the midterm questions were covered) but a lot had no marking at all. The two funny instances were from a sci-fi lit survey course I took, where my copy of Canticle for Leibowitz had only one notation on like page 3 that said "is this some sci-fi poo poo", and my copy of the Dispossessed had a few notes that were kind of whatever observations, but at one point said "anarchy=good ???"