Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was there an ereader review thread? Boyfriend's mother needs a new one that isn't a kindle/in Amazon's ecosystem. Apparently our local library switched to a lending program that isn't supported on those readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Megazver posted:

It's more of a question what requirements that program has? Is it just epubs now? You can Calibre them. If it's some special app, I guess you need to use whatever device the app is available for.

I'll have to do some drilling and play the telephone game to figure out what's going on, as I don't do the ereader thing (and of course the name of the new app is forgotten by my link). What's Calibre though; a sideloading app or...?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

tuyop posted:

Calibre is a library management program for ebooks. It also converts between pdf/epub/mobi/etc. you run it on a computer and it can even email books to your ebook reader or whatever.

It was suggested because it could just convert the original files so you can use whatever app you want.

Ah. Doing some digging it looks like our library went to using Libby, which is not approved by Amazon's app store. She mentioned that even with the assistance of a library tech she couldn't get "the work around" to work on her kindle so I'm wondering if an attempt to sideload it failed for some reason. Thanks for the pointers guys; it definitely helps bring some stuff about the situation into focus.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That... seems a great way to turn a kid off of reading and learning. All I had as kid was Compton's and World Book on CD rom, and you better believe I clicked around in those. World Book even had video clips in addition to the text!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of Water Margin, is there a popular good English translation I should be looking for? I've got lots of other crap to read before I get to it, but it has been on my list for a while.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well this is coincidental, my boyfriend just picked up the first 5 books of Wheel of Time cheap in a garage sale and I was thinking of taking a crack at them myself. Probably gonna hold off though as I am not huge into western fantasy books and still have to finish Journey to the West on top of sorting through my bookshelves. I'm down to coffee table books, reference books, and how to guides that are too boring to post about. Not only am I running out of books to declutter I am itching to read a modern novel since it's been so long.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The other goons have hit the nail on the head, but I will say I've experienced the first half of it myself with a TV show; it feels like I am the only person on Earth who perfectly understood the third story arc of obscure dense Britich scifi show Sapphire and Steel with no outside help. Mostly I just wonder if it's me who is the crazy one, haven't had something like that happen since. Sometimes you just click with an author's work I guess?

For the second half I'd also guess you're expecting too much of YA lit. Usually I go in to lighter stuff like that trying to predict if they'll follow the cliches or not and roll my eyes when it conforms to expectation in dumb ways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asterite34 posted:

A heads up for those who might be interested, there is a readalong thread in the Haunted Clubhouse seasonal sub for Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October going one chapter per day, in celebration of the Spooky Month!

Shiiiiit! Another that I think is still on my list but I don't have a copy and am still in clean out mode of what I do have.

Edit: gently caress it, just ordered a cheap copy off of ebay that's in a lot with two other old 90s fantasy paperbacks, I'll finally find out what the fuss is.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 3, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asterite34 posted:

Still plenty of time to catch up with the thread when your copy gets delivered, the first half-dozen chapters are a breeze you can chew through in like half an hour tops

Not worried about catching up, more annoyed that I've added another book to the queue and already have had books leapfrog over other books I'd planned on reading. :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Oh poo poo, thanks! Boyfriend is a big Discworld fan and I need Christmas presents for him.

Maybe I'll read the series one day, he has all 40(?) of them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Well if nothing else you've compelled me to look up a childhood book I was told at the time was super rare and it's good news for me: copies of Dean Koontz' Oddkins are pretty cheap on ebay. I remember it being pretty hardcore for a kids picture book and to this day it remains the only Dean Koontz thing I've ever read.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

branedotorg posted:

Whoa, also the only Koontz book I've ever read, that was excellent if very creepy

Exactly. It was technically read to me in my 4th grade class, and I'll forever remember the teacher having to explain what gun recoil was to us kids. Wasn't there also an illustration for that event, sending all the evil toys who tried to use it flying? Or at least evil toy leader, I've forgot what he was, some magician doll? So many details lost, I just remember mostly general plot and some of the injuries the good toys got going on the epic quest for a new creator.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Kinda like how Excel Saga took place in the town of F, prefecture F then? It's meant to be Fukoka, Fukoka Japan.

Sorry I have anime of the brain lately, my weakness for Sherlock Holmes fan fics has led me astray.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

3D Megadoodoo posted:

On page 47 of "The Thursday Murder Club" and I hate the setting, loathe all the characters, and hate and loathe the writer.

Good thing I already bought two sequels :negative:

Perhaps it means you don't have old lady energy? My mom read a few before giving them to a friend, I think she found them adequate but trite. Another of her friends she let borrow it didn't like it, apparently couldn't understand what was going on, so it's probably not just you if it helps.

I've got my own pile of books to worry about, guess who finally started Lonesome October last night!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Has anybody else read Gateway by Frederick Pohl? I started it last night and am not sure I want to continue as it's more a character study/psychology of an rear end in a top hat that happens to have sci-fi trappings and I'm not sure I want to read about this character's miserableness.

It also does that ping ponging between events in the story: every other chapter is the MC getting mad and pissy at his psychologist in the present, while the mission he went on is told in flashback in the other chapters. It's not handled well and doesn't build up the mystery of what happened to him as it's supposed to. I briefly looked at some light spoilery reviews and hate that I already pinned down the root of the main character's psychological upset. He refuses to talk to his psychologist about a woman so I figured she died on the mission or dumped him and lo and behold reviews imply she left him.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from award winning 70s science fiction. Fries and a coke please.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

anilEhilated posted:

It's really overrated. Wouldn't bother finishing.

Glad to know it isn't just me. I've also just realized it's the same theme as Annie Hall; a neurotic can't deal with life. And I know too many people irl with issues, I don't need to read about fictional ones that refuse to deal with it. And yes, I am one of the haters of Annie Hall as well, if that wasn't apparent. What the hell was it about the late 70s that caused these types of stories? The energy crisis? Some other event I've forgotten about?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'd mail you mine Hieronymous if you're still curious, but it's kinda musty and has a slight cigarette smell when I fanned through it. Also browned as hell pages but that's par for the course with old cheap paperbacks.

Edit: Maybe I'll just bin it in recycling; no one wants books that grody.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh God this unearthed memories. I had to read a Pat Conroy book for college. Which one was about young fresh military cadets getting into drama and one of them died, either accident or suicide? The whole thing was kinda Dead Poets Society ish with the remaining friend group reacting somewhat poorly to the death. Sadly the most specific thing I remember is the casual use of an Italian slur in the first or second chapter and hating the book overall.

I've read some bad books in my time. The rest for that class were no winners either.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was it Rip Van Winkle or a different folk tale where the protagonist encounters strange dudes bowling in the woods? like I think Rip stumbles across them, joins them for a game, and drinks the booze they offter him causing him to sleep for like 50 years or whatever. It's been a long rear end time since I read it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive googled a lot and i did not read the original rip van winkle story but didnt he just sleep and wake up "in the future"?

Not a clue. I know I read it in like mid high school, but don't remember poo poo. I based that on dim memories of a Wishbone episode. Kinda remember old bearded guys playing bowls in the woods and the sound of the hits being like the peals of thunder. I could be misremembering all sorts of poo poo though.

Edit: I got google to agree that Rip encountered a group of ninepin players in the Catskills and he fell asleep off their booze. The identity of the ninepin players varies from "bearded dwarves" to "Dutchmen who may be ghosts."

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I always wonder about why they "annotate" their books so much. Who is it for? (I know it's 100% for show, because the other Book Tockers do it, don't "at" me [whatever that means :corsair:])

Good question (I assume you mean the 8 trillion postit notes and 4 bookmarks she's got in that thing). I never do it, nor do I scribble notes in the margins. The sole exceptions are marking recipes I want to try in cook books and my favorites in an art history coffee table book that's big enough to kill a man with.