Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Le Carrei, like the A in "base".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why are there two harry potter megathreads

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Paper With Lines posted:

lol.

Never forget, fifty shades of grey started out as Twilight fanfic.

so there;ll be some saucy harry potter books for adults in the stores the enxt few years

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love roman mythology. it's like the world's first fanfic/blatant ripoff. "wow, these greeks has some cool stuff, we'll take it!"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

intentionally stupid wording aside, the greek mythology did influence the roman pretty heavily

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

Think really hard about what the difference is between the post I quoted and the rest of this forum's idiotic stance that religion/mythology is itself fanfiction, then try to come back and own me bitch.

cool that you thought I wasn't joking when I said the fanfic stuff, even when I tried to make it explicit

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

There's a difference between intertextuality, or different folklores that clearly has a common root, and the concept of "fanfiction". Just because there are some thematics that in a phenomenological way is consistent and keeps appearing accross cultures, doesn't mean that the similar stories were created for the sole purpose of shipping your two fave bishies because that Disney film you and your friends loved wasn't saucy or queer-friendly enough.

And stories were mainly kept alive as an oral tradition well into the 1800s, so it's really not that surprising that a lot of mythologies, and a lot of folklores and tales are so similar to eachother.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 6, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I love that this forum has a single thread dedicated to all books not found in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section.

there's two other threads, too. russian lit. and nobel prize authors, but they're both on life-support

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The sad thing is, that's significant progress compared to where things were a few years ago.

Technically there are a few other ongoing threads for other specific genres, too, though. There's a historical books thread, a detective fiction thread, etc.

edit:

The real "problem" is that we're an extremely low traffic forum period because most goons think books only exist to be 1) assigned for summer reading and 2) cleaned out of grandpa's apartment after the mailman finds his corpse. It's a minor miracle we have people here who read anything, wizards or not.

plus goons by and large are a buncha manchildren who prefer to post about something they hate rather than something they love.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

any old desk lamp can work, as long as the lumens in the lightbulb you're using isn't too high (no higher than 450-ish)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you haven't read the bas-lag series yet, then that's got a pretty decent world building.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

Yeah, look at the Bible

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I like using a to-read list (which is more of a "these are books I might want to read at some point" rather than "these are books I have to read") as a sort of shopping list, or something to keep in mind when I'm at a library, a bookstore or similar. there's hundreds of pretty good books out there and it would be impossible to keep track of them all whenever I need to. and there's still room for impulse bying/borrowing

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

comfort of strangers was okay until it went all ~~2edgy4u~~ at the end

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what book did you pick for BOTM hieronymous?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen the opening paragraph of Babyfucker and that looks distubring, but I'll give it a read at some point I guess

also re: airplane fiction

wikipedia posted:

Writers whose books have been described as airport novels include:

Jeffrey Archer[5]
Peter Benchley[6]
Dan Brown[7]
Tom Clancy[8]
Clive Cussler[9]
John Grisham[10]
Arthur Hailey[2]
Robert Ludlum[11]
Jodi Picoult[12]
Gérard de Villiers[13]

this is beneath me

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

probate ppl who post about scifi and fantasy in non-scifi and fantasy threads

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

giving lolita a 1 star because you couldn't relate to humbert humbert misses the point of the novel entirely

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that was bad

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

for physical books I've really taken a liking to book depository. It has a pretty extensive selection (the only place I actually found anything Anne Garréta) and they have really good prices + free shipping

they're based in the UK though, so if you live across the atlantic it might be slower than amazon and whatever else you use over there.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 12, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Enfys posted:

I know this has been asked before, but which translation of War and Peace would book goons recommend?

I read this version and had no troubles with it. the maude's are supposed to be good, too

avoid overly cheap versions as it's like 100% chance it's Constance Garnett, which is the same translation that's in public domain

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 28, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

paradise lost because it sounds like a rad classic that I haven't read yet and is easy to get a copy of.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Never any end to Paris is just like that and good and should be a botm

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I read Robinson Crusoe as a kid. it’s not a difficult book mate. just read it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

roll a D12. 0-3 turn to page 15, 4-8 turn to page 75, 9-12 turn to page 30

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it just shows that those fixers can’t be arsed to engage with criticism (regardless of whether it's harsh or not) and instead just report because it’s "ruining our fun"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this reminds me of some really dumb tweet I saw where someone was really angry about ~the plot~ in les miserable being interrupted by the digressions

people need to stop reading books the wrong way

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Selachian posted:

From later in the same thread:

of-loving-course

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Who are the Shakespeares of other languages? That is, a writer who had a profound effect on the very language itself and whose works are still read, discussed, and performed (in the case of playwrites) today?

Henrik Ibsen, Ivar Aasen

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

people who work on antarctica are STEM lords, so I’m not surprised that they’re the type whine about spoilers

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how about a golden age of suck deez nuts

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh boy, just two oafs loitering around Dublin and one of them jerking off a couple of times, really strong plot there, james :rolleyes:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how do you even spoil music

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

Cant stand yhese avant garde magical men why camt they all be down to earth like david tibet

david tibet seems like pretty much the only neofolk dude that would be tolerable to have a beer with

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this is a good place to discuss it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"Dear Mr. Benjamin.

I recently read your work about contemporary and digital art, and I have a few takes about your concept of 'aura' as it pertains to Instagram filters I'd like to share with you (...)"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Should we reboot some of the megathreads in this forum?

if you by "reboot", mean "purge all the horrible 1000 page harry potter-, sci-fi and fantasy-threads for good and never let them respawn", then yes, be my guest

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not against it but won't that leave something like three threads open?

that would be serene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fauna posted:

i think all novels should be written in script format like fanfictions were back in the day

Raymond Queneau did this with the flight of icarus