Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Murgos posted:

Rolls of tape or sheets of plastic aren’t an aircraft though.

Well, about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Once all the people that know how to actually do and make things are 'eliminated,' what then?

The US has moved from a manufacturing based economy through an information and services economy and is now a rent-seeking and scams based economy, there's no place for knowing how poo poo works in this new world order.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

If you read the maintenance manual for ASK-21 glider it clearly states that Tesa 4651 tape is the only one you are allowed to use to cover the gap between the wing and aileron. Other tapes have shown to tear and cause flutters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

You make a very good point.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PainterofCrap posted:

What's sad and a little frightening is the death of meritocracy in this country.

the US has never been a meritocracy, though for part of the 20th century it may have seemed that way for people in the right demographics

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

the milk machine posted:

the US has never been a meritocracy, though for part of the 20th century it may have seemed that way for people in the right demographics

I was speaking specifically about commerce & industry. While corporate structure varied, and the existence of unions speak to the desire to enslave and abuse employees, it was generally understood that in a tech-heavy manufacturing or logistics industry, people were the real revenue-generators, the more skilled and trained the better.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

My guess would be that it was too slow for the rudder to have any effect. I guess I never thought about how seaplanes work, it seems like it could beneft from having a rudder in the water like a ship.

I think the wing floats are digging tooq

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PainterofCrap posted:

I was speaking specifically about commerce & industry. While corporate structure varied, and the existence of unions speak to the desire to enslave and abuse employees, it was generally understood that in a tech-heavy manufacturing or logistics industry, people were the real revenue-generators, the more skilled and trained the better.

again, this looked true for a few decades if you were in the right demographic, but industry has been about squeezing every last dime since industry was invented. the postwar decades were great for white people but it's never been a meritocracy. industry has been optimizing around just enough worker skills and training for hundreds of years and jettisoning the people it decides it doesn't need. they noticed it swung a bit too far towards workers in that postware period and have been correcting for it ever since

henry ford didn't become successful by making sure his workers were highly skilled and trained, he did it by commoditizing them into units with enough skill to make money but not so much skill that things would come to a halt without them

I don't think the minorities working at NASA or Boeing in the 60s would think those places prioritized skill and training above all else

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 29, 2024

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Every time I read a new article on Boeing it gets worse.

Jesus Christ. I was glad when I saw my last flight was on an old 737.

https://x.com/moetkacik/status/1773424979016614090?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Speaking of non-Boeing aeronautical insanity:

Hundreds of Flying Taxis to Be Made in Ohio, Home of the Wright Brothers and Astronaut Legends

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...tronaut-legends

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Hundreds of Flying Taxis to Be Made in Ohio, Home of the Wright Brothers and Astronaut Legends

Anything to get out of Ohio.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

PainterofCrap posted:

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Every time I read a new article on Boeing it gets worse.

Jesus Christ. I was glad when I saw my last flight was on an old 737.

https://x.com/moetkacik/status/1773424979016614090?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

The hundreds of 737s stored at KMWH are there because their customers can’t take them- they’re largely Chinese-bound frames and China did not approve the 737 MAX for commercial service until a few months ago. Additionally, each frame will require rework to bring it up to the new approved standard (MCAS fixes plus a few other things).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

the milk machine posted:

henry ford didn't become successful by making sure his workers were highly skilled and trained, he did it by commoditizing them into units with enough skill to make money but not so much skill that things would come to a halt without them

Your post is broadly correct, but I gotta defend Henry Ford here, of all fuckin' people. The entire point of factory mass production is that all the steps are broken down into units that anybody can do. In a proper mass production setup, this increases quality while massively driving down costs. This is how the production system works. Ford had no issue hiring highly skilled people away from this process, and he certianly wasn't up in his office scheming about maximizing profits via meticulous worker alienation.

Like if you look up the time the Dodge Brothers sued him for not maximizing profits, you can get some comments on how little Ford cared of such things.

PS> Dodge Brothers logo was wild. Neither was Jewish, so I suspect both just liked the design (as the interlocking triangles stood for both of them.) Still, it makes me think their slogan was "on the wings of semitism"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PainterofCrap posted:

Take that, North Carolina!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nebakenezzer posted:

Your post is broadly correct, but I gotta defend Henry Ford here, of all fuckin' people. The entire point of factory mass production is that all the steps are broken down into units that anybody can do. In a proper mass production setup, this increases quality while massively driving down costs.

sure, that's my point. ford (and any other industrialist, really, i just picked ford for a pre-airplane manufacturing example) don't really think "the more trained/skilled, the better", they want fungible production units who are just good enough at their assigned task to make the company money and who can be easily replaced when the time comes. this is one of the other entire points of factory mass production

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2024

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

So this is kind of insane, but awesome. I saw a couple Alaska Airlines planes arrive at Boeing Field that came from Seatac, which is a short hop away, as well as one arrive from Portland. They often charter sports teams out of here, but nothing like that requiring three MAX 9s is going on. Then they all left an hour apart from each other to Maui. Preceding them was a Falcon 2000.

A coworker has connections at Alaska who looked around and found that they were chartered by Valve. Gabe takes the employees and their families all out on vacation each year. I wish Gabe was my CEO...

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Any excuse to not make Half Life 3.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's what happens when you control the Valve on the Money Spigot

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

the milk machine posted:

sure, that's my point. ford (and any other industrialist, really, i just picked ford for a pre-airplane manufacturing example) don't really think "the more trained/skilled, the better", they want fungible production units who are just good enough at their assigned task to make the company money and who can be easily replaced when the time comes. this is one of the other entire points of factory mass production

The manufacture of the model T started in 1908, so we are in the airplane era. (Not only that, Henry Ford built his own airplane.)

So I'm not entirely sure what your point is - mass production can work this way, but an industrialist wants what makes money, which may or may not involve cheap labor. Like, you know, the way Boeing ran its business for a few decades post WW2?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also. Y'all have posted some excellent youtube channels over the years. This, this is not one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_rDFai-w4

Simon Whistler just did a very good thing on the Aurora, so here's this guy doing the Aurora/SR-75, and first, I think he confuses the mothership with the Aurora. Then, he starts talking about the "fuel" - I think he just looked at modern rocket propellant research? Liquid methane, LOX (mixed with the methane? Unclear) and Beryllium? At no point does he say any of this is speculation. Also he uses drawings that are really clearly taken from the instructions of the Testors SR-75/XR-7 model kit, including the Aurora being attached to the SR-75's fuselage by two bits that attach together

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

A disheartening amount of YouTube edutainment videos are just error riddled summaries of Wikipedia pages read aloud with stock footage and zero depth of understanding of the subject.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Scam Likely posted:

A disheartening amount of YouTube edutainment videos are just error riddled summaries of Wikipedia pages read aloud with stock footage and zero depth of understanding of the subject.

Basically you should assume all channels are like the ones in hbomberguy’s video on plagiarism until proven otherwise.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scam Likely posted:

That thumbs down button exists for a reason

But you're right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Simon Whistler just did a very good thing on the Aurora, so

By "Aurora" do you mean he did a very good thing on the B-2 Spirit?

Because that's what Aurora was. It was the code name for the RFP and competition between Northrop and Lockheed that eventually led to the B-2. The word was mistakenly left in a Pentagon budget as a line item, and its appearance in the budget coincided with sightings of certain black triangular aircraft in the sky above Nevada, and people let their imaginations run wild.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PainterofCrap posted:

What's sad and a little frightening is the death of meritocracy in this country. Once all the people that know how to actually do and make things are 'eliminated,' what then?

We will finally know Freedom and Liberty. We're making number go up, hop on board or *checks article* get blackballed and nosedive below the poverty line faster than a MAX 9 falling out of the air.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nebakenezzer posted:

Your post is broadly correct, but I gotta defend Henry Ford here, of all fuckin' people. The entire point of factory mass production is that all the steps are broken down into units that anybody can do. In a proper mass production setup, this increases quality while massively driving down costs. This is how the production system works. Ford had no issue hiring highly skilled people away from this process, and he certianly wasn't up in his office scheming about maximizing profits via meticulous worker alienation.

Like if you look up the time the Dodge Brothers sued him for not maximizing profits, you can get some comments on how little Ford cared of such things.

PS> Dodge Brothers logo was wild. Neither was Jewish, so I suspect both just liked the design (as the interlocking triangles stood for both of them.) Still, it makes me think their slogan was "on the wings of semitism"

you do not, in fact, have to hand it to the battle of the overpass guy

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about the time that submarine exploded on the bottom of the ocean and the only person in the world who possessed a submersible that could reach them was Gabe Newell.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

the milk machine posted:

As Michael Young said when he coined the term meritocracy, a meritocracy is just an oligarchy in formation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Scam Likely posted:

As soon as I start hearing an AI generated voice for narration, I thumbs down and select never show this channel again. But god drat, there is a ton of poo poo out there.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

slidebite posted:

As soon as I start hearing an AI generated voice for narration, I thumbs down and select never show this channel again. But god drat, there is a ton of poo poo out there.

On the other hand yesterday I watched a video about Bv206 from Arsenalen and the presenter was surprisingly non-fluent in english. It would have been better if he had written the script in swedish, used an AI translation to english and have AI narrate it. If the data is good I don't really care if it's spoken aloud by a human, it's more important that it's not excruciating to listen to.

Bigger problem is of course identifying if the data is bad unless you already have all the information, and if you have why are you watching it in the first place. Hopefully AI fact checkers can one day solve this. "This video differs 41% from the consensus based on 183 articles on the subject."

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nebakenezzer posted:

The manufacture of the model T started in 1908, so we are in the airplane era. (Not only that, Henry Ford built his own airplane.)

So I'm not entirely sure what your point is - mass production can work this way, but an industrialist wants what makes money, which may or may not involve cheap labor. Like, you know, the way Boeing ran its business for a few decades post WW2?

You can go back and read my posts if you want to get my point vs just quibbling about details: Boeing wasn't a meritocracy and neither was the US

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"ai fact checkers" lmfao as if the labor cost of fact checking is the only reason it doesn't get done more

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Rascar Capac posted:

As Michael Young said when he coined the term meritocracy, a meritocracy is just an oligarchy in formation.

this is a good way to put it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Saukkis posted:

On the other hand yesterday I watched a video about Bv206 from Arsenalen and the presenter was surprisingly non-fluent in english. It would have been better if he had written the script in swedish, used an AI translation to english and have AI narrate it. If the data is good I don't really care if it's spoken aloud by a human, it's more important that it's not excruciating to listen to.

Bigger problem is of course identifying if the data is bad unless you already have all the information, and if you have why are you watching it in the first place. Hopefully AI fact checkers can one day solve this. "This video differs 41% from the consensus based on 183 articles on the subject."
That may very well be true, but all things being equal a vid with an AI translation if it's a channel I've never heard of before is going to be absolute poo poo 95%+ of the time, so I'll play the odds.

Sure I might miss the odd gem of a channel with quality data and content, but far more often than not its the right call. There is literally not enough time in the day for me to watch the videos I'd like to watch as it is :(

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

"ai fact checkers" lmfao as if the labor cost of fact checking is the only reason it doesn't get done more

I'm talking about personal fact checkers, not ones run by media companies. It would probably take hours of work to check the facts of a 10 minute YT video.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A lot of the 1M+ view per videos YouTubers, Tom Scott, CGP Grey, that bald British guy who has like 12 channels, are quite vocal about having like three people to edit script and in particular fact checkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hadlock posted:

that bald British guy
Curious Droid guy? He's pretty solid.